PDA

View Full Version : Dry/damaged hair taking longer to dry?

Karala
August 2nd, 2010, 08:41 AM
Has anyone noticed that?

I have very damaged and thinned out ends, like, about 3 times thinner than the new healthy hair near my scalp. You'd figure less hair would take less time to dry, but I've noticed that on the contrary, the hair near my scalp is perfectly dry in about an hour and a half, and it takes another hour and a half for my teenie-weenie ends to dry!

It this is true, it could make a good indicator of the state of my hair as it grows out healthier and I trim the damaged ends as it grows :)

kristymarie87
August 2nd, 2010, 08:58 AM
Maybe they arent as damaged as you think? I had that problem even after a good trim!

You should do a clarifying wash and try to diagnose any problems such as too much/not enough protien, lack of moisture etc. Theres so many things! The is an article explaining how to do this. You might just need a change of routine!

Kome
August 2nd, 2010, 09:25 AM
Hmmm... I haven't noticed this, but perhaps your hair is trying to suck up the moisture? My hair is quite damaged, but it doesn't take longer to dry than my virgin hair.

Deelight
August 2nd, 2010, 12:59 PM
I experience the opposite - my damaged ends dry faster than the healthy hair. Maybe if you've been oiling or conditioning the ends more that would explain it?

ghost
August 2nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
My damaged ends always dry faster, but when the length of my hair was very badly damaged it took forever! It would feel almost soaking wet for hours, and made me crazy. My hair is thick to begin with, but the damage made my drying time absolutely ridiculous.
It's gotten a little better in the past year, and the drying time has decreased significantly, but there are still parts in my hair that take forever to dry and have that 'sticky' damaged feeling.

little_cherry
August 2nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
As hair dries, the water travels down the shaft...my hair is not even apl and takes 4-5 hours to dry because I have lots of strands.

Vampire
August 2nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
I have heard that colored hair takes longer to dry? dont know if u have? I should also check if this is a fact and why?:p

rosyaddie
August 2nd, 2010, 02:17 PM
I read something about this- virgin hair, with the F-layer (a later of fats, the hair's 'raincoat') intact, can only increase 20% in weight when wet, but color treated hair (which has the F-layer stripped away) can increase by as much as 200%.

jera
August 2nd, 2010, 02:39 PM
I experience the opposite - my damaged ends dry faster than the healthy hair. Maybe if you've been oiling or conditioning the ends more that would explain it?

That's what I thought too. Are you conditioning the ends more? ;)

ravenreed
August 2nd, 2010, 03:12 PM
I notice that if I leave my hair down while it dries, the water moves from the scalp downward. So that means my ends are wet long after the scalp is fully dry. I think it is just good old gravity at work because if I put it up in a bun, the hair under the bun stays damp just as long as the bun does.

spidermom
August 2nd, 2010, 03:33 PM
This surprises me because what usually happens is that damaged porous hair is quick to get wet and quick to dry -- the moisture evaporates right out. All I can figure is that the ends are sucking the moisture right down the strand of hair, like a siphon. But I don't know.

HairColoredHair
August 2nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
I think the water moves down (and your scalp heat helps it dry too.) :)

Karala
August 2nd, 2010, 04:40 PM
I'm embarassed to say that the (oh so complex and far-fetched :rolleyes:) "water moves down the hair" theory had NOT crossed my mind. At all.

So, well, probably has a lot to do with gravity, but maybe there's more to it anyway, especially since other longhairs experience ends drying faster than scalp hair.

Yes, I am conditioning/oiling the ends more! And yes, my lenght and especially my ends have old dye, which is to blame for most of the damage/dryness.

It's also maybe true that my ends aren't as damaged as I think, since I have virtually no split ends or white dots, but they ALWAYS feel like velcro, maybe I should do more moisture treatments with clarifying prior.

Kathie
August 2nd, 2010, 04:42 PM
Yip- this happens to me too... it takes around three hours for my midlengths and ends to dry! While my virgin growth is dry within 30min... I've read that its because its pours and therefore soaks up more water than healthy hair. More water absorbed= longer to dry? But I agree, its a good indicator of hair health :)

ravenreed
August 2nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
I only get velcro ends with protein or build up, providing that I have been diligent about removing splits and knots. If your shampoo or conditioner has protein, you might need to switch to see if that is the culprit.

I'm embarassed to say that the (oh so complex and far-fetched :rolleyes:) "water moves down the hair" theory had NOT crossed my mind. At all.

So, well, probably has a lot to do with gravity, but maybe there's more to it anyway, especially since other longhairs experience ends drying faster than scalp hair.

Yes, I am conditioning/oiling the ends more! And yes, my lenght and especially my ends have old dye, which is to blame for most of the damage/dryness.

It's also maybe true that my ends aren't as damaged as I think, since I have virtually no split ends or white dots, but they ALWAYS feel like velcro, maybe I should do more moisture treatments with clarifying prior.