PDA

View Full Version : Hair Massage and Preening Question

LouLaLa
August 2nd, 2010, 08:27 AM
Last night read some articles on massage and preening and they were really great.

However it took me about 50 minutes to really disrtibute the oil and get rid of the dry patches. I stopped after about 20 minutes and it was a bit greasy looking, but when I spent more time gettig the released oils down to the tip it looked really good. It helped with the overprocessed ends alot but I did have to add a little serum to my palm (just a tear drop size) to ease the palmiing techinique along.

It was totally worth it as I CO'ed my hair today and it looks really great and my ends feel alive again.

Does anyone have any more tips? Is there any way I can speed this process up? Did I do it too long (my hair is fine)? My hair is only BSL so really this would have to be a once a week event at the rate that all in all it took about an hour.
Thankyou :)

starlights
August 2nd, 2010, 08:40 AM
Massage is really good for your hair...

i do scalp and whole hair massages at least three times a week... since ive done it, my hairs got thicker, shinier and i dont get dry patches anymore :)

I think when you first start massaging it does take a long time, but once you get into a routine the time span should get shorter :)

with massage and oil those dry patches you say you have will diminish... i remember i had lots of dry patches and dandruff now i never get neither :)

you dont need to put alot of oil on your hair and make it greasy, just enough for the scalp and along the length and ends

LouLaLa
August 2nd, 2010, 08:54 AM
Massage is really good for your hair...

i do scalp and whole hair massages at least three times a week... since ive done it, my hairs got thicker, shinier and i dont get dry patches anymore :)

I think when you first start massaging it does take a long time, but once you get into a routine the time span should get shorter :)

with massage and oil those dry patches you say you have will diminish... i remember i had lots of dry patches and dandruff now i never get neither :)

you dont need to put alot of oil on your hair and make it greasy, just enough for the scalp and along the length and ends

Im glad to hear it works well :) My hair does feel a little thicker already. Im trying to be as nice as possible to my hair in the hope it will forgive me for dying it (Ive quit now) :p

I think you are right and it will be good to stick with it to reap the benefits. Thankyou so much for your adivce and im glad to see its making your hair so lovely, its very pretty indeed!

mali
August 2nd, 2010, 09:59 AM
I did scalp massages but it made my hair oily so I gave it up,but I did see some improvement,though:p

*Aoife*
August 2nd, 2010, 10:35 AM
Ooh, I love scalp massages! I try to do one the night before every wash. About the time thing, I tend to do them when I'm sitting in front of the tv or do it one handed when reading. So I relax and get a massage at the same time :) Nice!

LouLaLa
August 2nd, 2010, 10:52 AM
Ooh, I love scalp massages! I try to do one the night before every wash. About the time thing, I tend to do them when I'm sitting in front of the tv or do it one handed when reading. So I relax and get a massage at the same time :) Nice!

I think I might do this too. Taking into account that I wont reap the full benefits for a while till ive massaged to the point where the patchyness is cured, itll be good to let the oil penetrate then wash the excess off the next day.

I cant get over how shiny it feels :D

My hair hasnt felt this was since before I used to dye it, its sort of strange to have hair that feels alive again- or am I just mad :p
I'll have to pick a nice quiet tv show to watch, I fear if I watch a crime drama ill dig my fingers in too much when they reveal the killer hehe.

ghost
August 2nd, 2010, 12:56 PM
I love scalp massages -I always try and do them at the end of the day so I have something to help me relax. I'll massage my scalp until it feels 'alive', then rub some of the natural oil down the length of my hair, maybe with a little coconut oil + cinnamon bark oil for scent, if I feel like my hair still needs the extra moisture. I feel like my hair is looking a lot better since I started this routine.

Gem
August 2nd, 2010, 11:52 PM

It's also easy to do when you're reading on the internet or waiting for tea to brew. I even preen while chasing my toddler around the house. She's starting to give herself scalp massages :D

countryhopper
August 3rd, 2010, 07:01 AM
For more great info on preening and scritching, check out the NW/SO thread :)

bunzfan
August 3rd, 2010, 07:31 AM
It's also easy to do when you're reading on the internet or waiting for tea to brew. I even preen while chasing my toddler around the house. She's starting to give herself scalp massages :D

gem that made me laugh about your toddler copying you, my 1 yr od is obssesed by hair brushes and cleaning and after seeing me put on grapeseed oil last night he screamed till i put some on his hair too :)

LouLaLa
August 3rd, 2010, 10:58 AM
Thankyou everyone! Ive mixed up a bit of all the advice and its going pretty well!
My hair really does feel better already which is great as ive only been doing it a few days. Gem and bunzfan youre stories were too cute, what sweet little kids!!!

Thankyou countryhopper I will check out that other thread! I think I need to mix up my routine as CO isnt working as great atm, so this sounds like a great idea!