PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss/shedding info from Dr. Oz

Nae
August 2nd, 2010, 07:31 AM
I saw this on Oprah, oh a few months back, and thought it had a great visual on about how much hair is normally lost in a day. (Another thread I saw today reminded me of the clip.) It also shows a quick test you can do to see if you are losing more than the recommended amount of hair. Which I had never heard about before. It made me feel better about my shed hair for sure!:cheese:

There is some other info on there about female hair loss. I thought it was interesting and figured that others might like to see it. :) (There is an ad at the beginning though, shocking huh?)

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/preventing-female-hair-loss

mali
August 2nd, 2010, 07:48 AM
Hello,Nae!:)I did see this on Dr.Oz show just a few days ago..I like watching his show,it's very informative.About his test...I tried it.It really is simple.And very precise.It seems I don't have hair loss.I'm so glad,because I thought I did!:cheese:

Pumpkin
August 2nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the link!!! :)

PineappleJello
August 2nd, 2010, 07:35 PM
Only one hair came out of my bangs. I wonder if it matters where you pull the hair at (bangs vs canopy vs the bottom part)

x0h_bother
August 2nd, 2010, 07:43 PM
Nae I could kiss you! :puppykisses:
I was searching Dr. Oz on female hair loss and was so sad when I didn't find any good videos that pertained to my needs. This one is great! :blossom:

Nae
August 2nd, 2010, 07:43 PM
I don't think the placement of the sample would matter, we shed pretty diffusely over the entire head right? At least I would imagine so.:confused:

Nae
August 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
Nae I could kiss you! :puppykisses:
I was searching Dr. Oz on female hair loss and was so sad when I didn't find any good videos that pertained to my needs. This one is great! :blossom:

LOL thanks, I live to serve and all. ;)

Ashley0507
August 2nd, 2010, 09:03 PM
Thank you!

Luckysock
August 2nd, 2010, 09:10 PM
great video thanks!

Darkhorse1
August 2nd, 2010, 09:29 PM
Well, let's just say the example of D is what I pulled out of the shower drain. Eeks!

The only problem with this video clip is that he is generalizing. if you wash your hair every other day or every week, your hair shed will be higher in amount due to not shedding/having the hairs come out every day.

So, that may cause un-due panic. I can get close to letter C during a massive shed phase, but I don't notice any visible signs.

When I did the hair test on my hair, I didn't get any hairs coming out.

Denebi
August 3rd, 2010, 02:33 AM
I cannot see the video right now :(
Can anyone please be so kind and explain the test in some words? Thanks!

Phexlyn
August 3rd, 2010, 04:08 AM
The only problem with this video clip is that he is generalizing. if you wash your hair every other day or every week, your hair shed will be higher in amount due to not shedding/having the hairs come out every day.

This. Also, I don't think the styles mentioned will necessarily cause hair loss if you're not prone to it (although they might increase it or speed up the process) or if you wear them every single day. I don't like how it states "braiding is bad" :rolleyes:

Tovah
August 3rd, 2010, 04:30 AM
I have very fine hair so the amount of hairs in the hair test for me would be more than someone with coarse hair. I only lost one hair, but I think we need to take this with a grain of salt.

Juanita
August 3rd, 2010, 05:25 AM
I have fine hair also and I lost two hairs

April1
August 3rd, 2010, 06:02 AM
Hmmm interesting...I always have my hair up in a pony tail, and am in middle of massive regrowth. Ive been looking for what he mentioned, the 'telegen aphobia" (spelling?) and cannot find any info. He said that its a temp thing and can be caused from emotions and happens about 7 months after an 'event'. As i said im having masses of new hair....I left my husband last August and now managing alone/work/new education/homework/career path/2 children/worry about money/in new relationship/doing everything etc, etc....guess its little wonder ive lost a lot of hair lol.

restourceful
August 3rd, 2010, 07:10 AM
I cannot see the video right now :(
Can anyone please be so kind and explain the test in some words? Thanks!

Me too. Anyone? :pray:

Marjolein
August 3rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
OK, the test: Take a sample from your hair that would fit in a straw, so about 4 milimeters wide. Pull on this sample from the roots to the tips. If you end up with less than 6 loose hairs in your fingers you should be OK, if it's more you might suffer from hair loss. He said shedding about 5 percent was normal.

restourceful
August 3rd, 2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks, Marjolein! :flower:

mali
August 3rd, 2010, 09:28 AM
OK, the test: Take a sample from your hair that would fit in a straw, so about 4 milimeters wide. Pull on this sample from the roots to the tips. If you end up with less than 6 loose hairs in your fingers you should be OK, if it's more you might suffer from hair loss. He said shedding about 5 percent was normal.

But when you pull be careful to pull gently.:)

Darkhorse1
August 3rd, 2010, 02:59 PM
April1-don't worry about the hair shed--this happened to me as well after a series of traumatic events. It DOES grow back.

I also didn't agree with Dr Oz's hair loss theory. If you scroll the other videos, there's a section about hair color and health. He showed that brunettes have more of a tendancy to go bald/lose their hair. His reasoning was that brunettes have thicker strands of hair, but less of them and that red heads/blonds have finer strands, but more of it. So, when you remove a finer strand vs thicker, you notice a thicker strand loss more.

That's bull, because I know people who are brunette with fine hair, and red heads with coarse hair.

Dr Oz is annoying. He's feeding into people's worries to make his show work. That bugs me because using fear as a tactic is WRONG.

Thanks Marjolen for explaining the hair test--that was very eloquently put :) But, I find that a lame test---you can't tell just by pulling on your hair if you're losing it or not!

Actually, I DID read that repeatidly braiding hair too tight will cause breakage, which will seem like loss as it thins the hair. This was more an article for those who corn rowed hair though.

In2wishin
August 3rd, 2010, 04:24 PM
April

Actually, I DID read that repeatidly braiding hair too tight will cause breakage, which will seem like loss as it thins the hair. This was more an article for those who corn rowed hair though.

I got the feeling that he was referring to this too. The sample wig that he had was in cornrow type braids.

One good thing about this video: it eased my fears about my current increased shedding since the amount that comes out after washing was about like sample "A" and the amount I get when I comb totals less than 20 per day.

haircrazedgirl
August 3rd, 2010, 04:30 PM
i seen the episode. i just make sure it has a white bulb on the end thats the only way i get a peace of mind. sometimes though they dont but most of the times they do

April1
August 4th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Thanks Darkhorse1...hope it doesnt take too long. And I agree that its a load of bull about the hair colour thing, as I am brunette and have very thin hair strands, but lots of it ( well lots of damaged hair and fluffy new re growth lol) x.