PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tried colour b4?

Evie
August 2nd, 2010, 03:33 AM
I was wondereing if anyone had tried this new product Colour B4 (http://www.boots.com/en/Colour-B4.-Hair-colour-remover-extra-strength-by-Scott-Cornwall-hair-expert._1000976/) which has just been marketed in the UK - it looks like it will act the same way as Color oops, and I'm interested in using it, so any reviews will be great....will post details if I decide to go for it...

Eilean
August 2nd, 2010, 03:46 AM
Hi Evie,

Yes I have used Colour B4. There are two versions, the normal one and the stronger one. I have used the stronger B4 product. My hair has a black hair dye built-up (I have been colouring my hair for 18 years now) and we all know that using black permanent hair dye is a bad idea .. I know that NOW :whistle:.

Anyway.. the B4 did NOT work on my hair. The ends which had the most colour built-up became slightly lighter but they're still black. The top of my head became reddish-brown but still quite dark. I think it depends which colour your hair is at the moment but my experience tells me that B4 does not work on chemically coloured black hair.

The products does not smell very pleasant (a bit like rotten eggs really) and it make the hair very dry! So if you use it you should make sure that you treat your hair carefully and thoroughly afterwards.

I would not use it again, not because it damaged my hair but because I find £12 or £13,- for something that does not work is a waste of money ;) .

Hope that helps!

BelleBot
August 2nd, 2010, 05:18 AM
I've used colour B4, the stronger one. I didn't actually find it damaging, just very drying. And it does stink of rotten eggs, ick!

It did work for me. Not as well as I'd hoped, but I was trying to remove a semi permanent which wouldn't budge. Apparently it works best on permanent dyes. The trick is to make sure you rinse really well. There's a little bottle of buffer shampoo included, use it several times to make sure you really have rinsed as well you can. Otherwise you'll find the dye re-oxidises. I did have a bit of this problem as initially I'd gotten my hair back to strawberry blonde, but then it darkened a bit again.

This is my hair after using Colour B4
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4783&pictureid=63599

Before that it was a dark chocolate brown. But I'd also been red, pink, black and all sorts of different colours before.

If you do use it, just make sure you do an SMT or something afterwards as your hair will need it. I covered my hair in a deep treatment conditioner mixed with various oils, bunned it, wrapped it in clingfilm and left it for about 5 hours before washing it out.

kwaniesiam
August 2nd, 2010, 05:23 AM
Go with One 'n Only Colorfix. It's the only color remover I've used with consistent results and not a ridiculous amount of drying to the hair.

Svenja
August 2nd, 2010, 05:27 AM
Note that you cannot One 'n Only Colorfix in the UK, try it online. It's not cheap though!

Oksana
August 2nd, 2010, 06:36 AM
I used it a few weeks ago. It brought me from a dark brown to a gingery blonde colour. I saturated my hair in coconut oil before and my hair felt fine afterwards :)
Ive got before and after pics in my album.

Harriet
August 2nd, 2010, 06:47 AM
I used this to remove semi permanent dye and it really worked well! Only problem was that because of the peroxide in the dyes I'd used my natural colour looked quite brassy so I put another dye on.

Eilean
August 2nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
All this proves (once again): Stay away from permanent dye *sniff* .. :(

Evie
August 4th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Well, I tried it last night - bear in mind this is over almost black henndigo, and a top inch of almost black permanent dye, on blonde hair.

I am, of course, not back to blonde ;)

But, I am at a chocolate brown, even on the henndigo bits!!!!!!

I am really surprised by this, and whilst my hair is a bit dry, it is not fried, and I think a deep oiling will sort it.

So, I might be tempted to do this every month, to lighten the henndigo slowly?

Interesting.....:)

Harriet
August 4th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I don't think its meant to be able to remove henna? I thought henna acted more like a stain, whereas conventional dyes penetrate the hair shaft and oxidise there. The colour b4 acts to reduce the dye molecules (opposite of oxidising them) making them smaller so they can be rinsed out.

BelleBot
August 4th, 2010, 07:45 AM
It won't remove any of the hendigo I'm afraid, it's only designed to lift chemical pigments. It will have lifted the black dye, but it will have no effect on the hendigo at all. The only reason it's lighter than before is probably because the black dye you used will have contained peroxide which lightened your hair.

Evie
August 4th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Well, I'm not sure about that. I did not put the dark brown / black dye at the ends of my hair at all, only the first inch of roots, as all I wanted to do was blend the roots and the henndigo for a bit.

So in the same way that some people have had success with color oops on henna and indigo (by no means everyone at all), it looks like I may have had a bit of luck here. If I'd put the dye all the way down my hair, I would agree with you totally, but this is why I'm so surprised - I didn't :)

Harriet
August 4th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I just used this again, and it worked really well. There is a teeny bit of colour left which I don't mind. And it doesn't look brassy this time.
I've told my DB that under no circumstances must he let me dye my hair again!!

Evie
August 5th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Yes, I'm thinking about using it again too - I am not planning on removing henndigo totally, I know this is impossible, but if I could get my hair up to a caramel / brown then I'd be so, so happy ;)

It is time to go back to my natural shade, over the next few years, DBF loves the dark hair, but he also loves my natural blonde.....:D

emsahib
August 6th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I used this a few months ago when I tried to dye my hair dark brown and it went black which reeeeaallly didn't suit me. A friend suggested bicarbonate of soda which was horrible and really dried out my hair. I liked the colour b4 it didnt damage my hair that much, although it didn't lighten it that much.

When it was developing on my head my hair went a really light colour that I was kinda shocked by but then when I washed it out it darkened alot. Been thinking about using it again as my hair is kinda a few different colours now. Its darker on my right cos thats the side i started putting the "dark brown" dye on and more red at the back cos thats the last place i put the dye on and I'd had dyed red hair before. Plus my roots are also growing through and I'd like to have the same natural colour all over.

Harriet
August 6th, 2010, 02:32 PM
You really have to rinse a lot as if all the dye molecules aren't rinsed out they'll reoxidise and darken again.

Celebrian
August 25th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I bought this yesterday - but I'm scared of what I'll find underneath! How patchy I will be, initially - as I'm grey: bleached: hendigoed; conventionally dyed dark brown... you name it!!! I could look awful to start with - and suspect that I'll need several quiet days in hiding to accomplish the dastardly deed. :cheese::rolleyes: :eyebrows:

Here is a nice fat link to helpful reviews (217 of 'em) which I am working through.

I'll update my experiences when I get the courage to do this.

http://www.boots.com/en/Colour-B4.-Hair-colour-remover-extra-strength-by-Scott-Cornwall-hair-expert._1000976/#customerReviews

jennyjb
August 25th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I used colour b4 to take out a build up of level 2 semipermanent medium/dark brown. My natural hair is a dark-ish brown with a some grey. The dye is supposed to last 24 washes which is about 3 months for me so I just do the roots each month, but I do get some overlap hence the buildup (which doesn't seem to wash out even though th dye isn't supposed to be permanent!). It worked fine to remove the black-ish build-up but didn't completely strip the colour from the greys - it left them a coppery colour which I quite like. My brown hairs were left their natural colour, so I think the dye I use didn't lift it much if at all, just deposited colour.

Celebrian
September 7th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Have done a couple of these B4's over the last week. Started with a heavy build-up of very dark brown (looked black) which some hendiigo underneath, and grey roots just peeping through.

My result was that hair from the ears down lost the 'black' look but remained a rich dark brown. Newer hair (roots to ears) turned a pretty autumn mid brown - and my greys were somehow slightly blended in (for a few days afterwards anyway.) It was definitely much softer overall and far less 'stark' looking. I'm going to darken the 'roots to ears' section just a bit, but be careful this time.

My hair was left in good condition (once I'd conditioned it!)

jojo
July 14th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I used this a week or so ago on 2x hendigo treatment and 2 red henna treatments. I left mine on for 2 hours and went under a heat cap for one hour. My hair went a light brown/ darkish strawberry blond at first but darkened to slightly darker. for me all the indigo has gone. It also completely stripped my greys back to grey; they look like highlights in my hair.

I am going to do another tomorrow but I am going for 3 hours and under the heat cap for 2 of these hours. I am going to use the strong version again.

My hair after was very soft, it has been a little dry but conditioner sorts it out. I am very impressed with this product. Maybe its worked better on my hair as I dont have a lot of colour build up. I am hoping to get back to my natural colour or a s near as which is a dark blonde with copper highlights.

pink.sara
July 15th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I have used colour b4 with great results previously. About 6 weeks ago though I went into Savers chemists and bought "Jo Baz" extra strength colour remover which is exactly the same as colour b4 only half the price.
I used it wrapped in clingfilm with a hairdryer for about 20 minutes then left it wrapped up with a wooly hat on top for another 60 and it removed all of my chemical black dye.
The rinsing period I rinsed for twice the recommended time to make sure it didnt re-oxidise which left it dry, but a decent conditioning and an overnight coconut sorted that out.
There is a picture in my album of the ginger result (its quite a bit lighter than my natural colour as the peroxide in the Live XXl Cosmic Blue black I was using had bleached my hair a bit) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8277

It does work on deposit dyes and henna/indigo too but the results are a lot more variable in my experience and depend on how much cuticle staining you have from hair being porous. Again see my album for the results on removing purple manic panic from a white streak.

My review? Colour B4 and Jo Baz are awesome and allow me to go from black and purple in the winter to auburn and red in the summer with no damage whatsoever. I love this stuff. :D

partlycloudy
July 15th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I just received my box of ColourB4 in the post and shall be trying it out sometime in the next week. I'll be using it to try and remove several all-over semi-permanent jobs (from my original light brown to dark brown), and I think there may still be some permanent chemical dye in the bottom few inches as well. I'll post later with my results.

~Anna~
July 18th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Girls I have a huge favour to ask, if anyone can please help me.
I have my hair dyed black and I tottaly regret it now. I want to take out all the dye and i read that this product can do that without damaging it. I don't want to bleach it, cause it will damage my hair. I had such a nightmare of bleaching my hair years back and I tottaly destroyed it.
Colour B4 remover has no peroxide, I'ce read much about it on the site, and also people's reviews and I want so much to buy it. The problem is that I live in Romania, and no site delivers here, only in UK. I don't know how to buy this product, and I'm so sad with all this, I regret so much dieing my hair black. My natural colour is a light brown. I want it back...

I came here to search and I see many people bought it. I know it will sound desperate(I really), but could anyone from UK help me out with buying the product? Please. Could anyone (from UK) help me and buy me this product,and then deliver it to me? :( We can talk about details in private messages or e-mail. I send you the money first to be sure it's ok.I really don't know what else I can do, and I want this dye out of my hair, I'm desperate :(

partlycloudy
July 18th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Girls I have a huge favour to ask, if anyone can please help me.
I have my hair dyed black and I tottaly regret it now. I want to take out all the dye and i read that this product can do that without damaging it. I don't want to bleach it, cause it will damage my hair. I had such a nightmare of bleaching my hair years back and I tottaly destroyed it.
Colour B4 remover has no peroxide, I'ce read much about it on the site, and also people's reviews and I want so much to buy it. The problem is that I live in Romania, and no site delivers here, only in UK. I don't know how to buy this product, and I'm so sad with all this, I regret so much dieing my hair black. My natural colour is a light brown. I want it back...

I came here to search and I see many people bought it. I know it will sound desperate(I really), but could anyone from UK help me out with buying the product? Please. Could anyone (from UK) help me and buy me this product,and then deliver it to me? :( We can talk about details in private messages or e-mail. I send you the money first to be sure it's ok.I really don't know what else I can do, and I want this dye out of my hair, I'm desperate :(

Hi Anna!

You can buy it from here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B003IPTTLA/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&qid=1311013513&sr=8-1&condition=new

Although it's a UK site, it looks like they do international deliveries. This is actually where I got mine from. There are several different sellers to choose from. It looks like your English is definitely good enough to navigate the site!

Hope this helps :)

(You may need to click on the link rather than copying & pasting it... or just go to www.amazon.co.uk and search for 'colour b4'. If you need any more help let me know!)

jojo
July 25th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Ive managed to pull all the indigo and 70% of henna from my hair with 3 applications.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/kitchen.jpg before
after http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/roots.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/Photo_00129.jpg under light, my hair is now a goldeny, blondy brown with a hint of red. hard to capture its true colour. But evidently the indigo has gone! normally under these lighting conditions it would glare red, no red glare left but the golden is coming through.
I am very impressed, dry hair is the only downside but i used a reconstructing conditioner and my hair feels great again. I plan to do one every fortnight until the red has gone altogether.

Oh and the eggy fart smell its horrible and it lingers for over a week each time!