PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Biotin???

Rockman33
August 1st, 2010, 11:05 PM
I have been reading on the LHC about MSM and Biotin. Is there any harm in taking more than 1000mcg of MSM and more than 5000mcg of Biotin in a 24 hour period??

Rockman33

christine1989
August 1st, 2010, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure about MSM since I have never tried it but you can safely take as much biotin as you like. Since it is water soluble you will just pee out any excess (much like vitamin C). If you plan on taking over 5000mcgs of biotin you may want to consider taking zinc with it as well to avoid acne problems that it can cause.

Hotrox
August 1st, 2010, 11:17 PM
I have taken 4000mg of MSM for about 3 months. No side effects noticed so far, except when I first started taking it I didn't sleep well for a the first week or so. I did slowly work up to my dose now, starting at 1000mg and adding 1000mg extra each week.

Rockman33
August 1st, 2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the zinc tip.

When you say didn't sleep well could you explain that a little more??

I am in a band and I will be growing out my hair. See ( Rock and a Hard Place in mane forum) for more info. I will be working at night as most shows usually are.

Rockman33

Hotrox
August 1st, 2010, 11:57 PM
When you say didn't sleep well could you explain that a little more??

I found it difficult to fall asleep (maybe an hour instead of my usual 5 minutes) and would wake up much earlier than usual. My eyes would ping open at 6am!!

Rockman33
August 2nd, 2010, 12:54 AM
oh that's good to know!!

Thanks

Rockman33

Naturel
August 2nd, 2010, 04:20 AM
I believe too much vitamins can be toxic. Even though biotin is a water soluble vitamin, it would be better to check the recommended daily dose and stick to that. I take only 1000 Mcg/day.

LouLaLa
August 2nd, 2010, 06:10 AM
When I took very large doses I got slight headaches, I also got a bit of dry mouth. Id reccomend taking it with a vitamin C tablet, try have them about meal times (the msm capsules werent very nice and I could definately tell when they had started to dissolve in my stomach as it felt a bit odd :( and make sure you drink plenty of water. This stopped the adverse symptoms for me.

I think its stopped some of my shedding which was great, but because I have quick growing hair anyway I dont think it increased my growth. For others however it may produce more stark results.

alwayssmiling
August 2nd, 2010, 06:48 AM
I took 2000mg a day and found that I got really, really bad heachaches. I stopped for a while and then started again just taking 1000mg per day (no headaches), then I decided to take 1 (1000mg tab) in the morning and another last thing at night and have had no reactons at all doing it that way. If you are going to take a large amount definitely try and spread it out over the day and also with food. But to be honest I think they have recommended doses for a reason and would stick with what it says on the bottle.

Dare I say its only hair and not worth risking an overdose. My son has to take a lot of supplements because of his medical condition and the dietician specifically warned us it can be harmful to over dose on any supplement.

Mel
August 2nd, 2010, 10:12 AM
I think vitamins are going to be different for each person. I do not take MSM but I do take Biotin. I've been taking 6000mcg's for 2 months now with no problems at all. I've heard some people tell they had problems at 2000mcg's thus it being different for everyone.
I do think with any vitamin you should start out slowly and gradually increase the dose to see how you react. Even with a water soluble vitamin like Biotin this is probably a good idea.
I also agree that you may want to consider the zinc to thwart any acne issues that might arise.

Qwackie
August 2nd, 2010, 11:03 AM
The dude who cuts my hair said that I should use biotin. I don't think I should, now, because I don't like not sleeping much, the only way I can sleep is if I have a caffiene crash from drinking a lot of caffiene early in the day and crashing at night, so I wouldn't be able to sleep at all.

intothemist1999
August 10th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Does anyone know why biotion causes a facial rash?

I started on it again for my nails, but sure enough I started getting the same rash (group of pimple-like bumps) on my cheek.

Previously I'd worked up to 900 mg. This time I had been on 300 for a while (maybe it was starting then) and then onto 600. Now I've given it up again by way of a test.

I was curious, though, *why* it causes a rash.

eta: yes, that should have read "mcg"

TammySue
August 10th, 2010, 08:54 AM

I started on it again for my nails, but sure enough I started getting the same rash (group of pimple-like bumps) on my cheek.

Previously I'd worked up to 900 mg. This time I had been on 300 for a while (maybe it was starting then) and then onto 600. Now I've given it up again by way of a test.

I was curious, though, *why* it causes a rash.

Do you mean "mcg" instead of "mg"? There are 1000 mcg in 1 mg of biotin.
I take GNC Hair, Skin and Nails formula (with no adverse effects) which contains 3000 mcg which = 3 mg.
I've attached a link I found on side effects. It does list skin eruptions as a result of too much biotin. HTH!
http://www.acu-cell.com/bx2.html

Kristin
August 10th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I take about 3,000 mcg of Biotin and 2,250 mcg of MSM daily. Lately, I've been taking 5,000 mcg of Biotin every other day. My skin is breaking out pretty badly (for me). Maybe I'll go back to the lower dose every day.

blctsyllwdg
August 10th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Part of how much to take is how you take the biotin. If I take it likd a pill, I was up to 20,000 mcg and still low on it. Once I started with sublingal, 2,000 mcg is fine.

brunetka
August 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I've been taking 5,000 mcg biotin for a couple years now. I don't experience any skin problems, but I'm not really prone to breakouts to begin with. It does make me have to shave me legs and such more often but that's a price I'm willing to pay for faster growing head hair and better nails. :) I've also seen it sold in up to 7,500 mcg tablets. It's water soluble, so as long as you have no kidney problems, any excess will end up in your pee. You should probably check with your doctor if you are taking any medications just in case.

Carolyn
August 10th, 2010, 11:32 AM

I was curious, though, *why* it causes a rash.I was under the impression that biotin causes a skin de-tox. The ickies are there on your face and the higher dosage of biotin is de-toxing your skin. I look at as the biotin is pushing the crap out of my face and once it's gone my skin will be better. I think there was another supplement that was supposed to do the same thing but I can't recall what it is. If you wait it out maybe your skin will finish the de-toxing and clear up after a time. I've been on biotin and MSM for such a long time it's hard to recall exactly what happened. It was before I started my old LHC journal in 2004 or I'd go search for it.

intothemist1999
August 10th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I look at as the biotin is pushing the crap out of my face and once it's gone my skin will be better. I think there was another supplement that was supposed to do the same thing but I can't recall what it is. If you wait it out maybe your skin will finish the de-toxing and clear up after a time.

Could be! I kind of suspected that, but I won't wait it out. :( Last time I was on it, my skin looked HORRID. It went on for a long time and got progressively worse. Strangely, it flared up, really, on only one patch on my cheek.

When I go off it, it clears up quite quickly for the most part. Once it does, I'll go back to just one tablet a day again.

Oh, and yes, I should have posted 300 "mcg" in my earlier entry.

masa_inn
August 10th, 2010, 06:23 PM

A friend of mine discussed this issue with her dermatologist. He says it is not Biotin, but the fillers in the pills that usually cause the problem. His suggestion was to switch to a more expensive brand (he didn't recommend one, so it wasn't a marketing trick).

blctsyllwdg
August 10th, 2010, 08:07 PM
You can have breakouts due to low vit B. But Spring Valley is cheap, and the 5,000 mcg is just a gel pill, very easy to take sublingal if you need it that high. SV is pretty decent for cheap options.

sarahbrownie
August 10th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Strangely enough the higher Biotin levels I take the better I am side-effect wise. Before I took 1000mcg a day and broke out horribly. I stopped for a while and got a buy four get three free type of deal for a dose 5000mg bottle. Strangely enough there were absolutely no break-outs or so-called 'detox' period. I don't get headaches either or dry mouth and my sleep habits quite are normal.