PDA

View Full Version : Herbal scalp care

icydove
March 11th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I have a very finicky scalp (gunk, etc.), so I'm always looking for ways to appease it. What herbal treatments have you tried that soothe the savage beast?

ktani
March 11th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Catnip is a specific for scalp irritation.

My scalp is very sensitive and is great with catnip.

icydove
March 11th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Hi, ktani :waving: I remember us talking about this in a previous thread. What is your catnip recipe again?

ktani
March 11th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Hi icydove

I just posted everything on my recipe and routine in this thread last night.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476

If you have any questions after reading it and I can help - I will post the answers here.

icydove
March 11th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Thank you, ktani. I checked my garden and I have a few sprigs of catnip coming up. It will probably be another month before it is large enough to pick, but I'll try out your recipe then. I haven't had good luck with catnip in the past, but I'll give it another shot. Most likely, I won't apply it to my hair as much as I'll concentrate on my scalp.

ktani
March 11th, 2008, 01:34 PM
icydove

I think last time you used large amounts - 1 level tsp to the amount of water I use between 250 and 300 ml is not too astringent - catnip can be astringent at higher concentrations.

icydove
March 11th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Yes, I think I used 1 or 2 tbsp in a cup of water. More isn't always better ;)

ktani
March 11th, 2008, 01:54 PM
icydove

I started off with 1 heaping tsp of catnip to a cup of water and then 250 ml - my scalp was ok but my hair was dryer - not bad but not great - the level tsp to more water works well for my scalp, hair, and my face and hands - my skin loves it.

ktani
March 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM
icydove

One thing I have noticed too with the fresher pet store catnip - something you do not have to worry about growing your own - is that it has more oils in it and my scalp is even better.

The winter dyness from indoor heat is less than ever since I switched from buying bulk..

ChloeDharma
March 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Have you tried a Rosemary infusion as a final rinse? I find that excellent on scalp ickyness.

icydove
March 11th, 2008, 03:04 PM
ChloeDharma, I have tried rosemary, but it again was really drying for my hair. In general, my hair doesn't like "green" herbs, only flowers. It could have been I was making the ratio too strong, through. How do you make your rosemary rinses?

ChloeDharma
March 11th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I made it with a handfull or more of fresh herb in a jug of water....it was quite strong though really. I never noticed it drying but this was years ago with shorter virgin hair.

Maybe try lightly oiling the length first??

tigerlily
March 11th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Or if your hair likes vinegar rinses you could try making a herbal vinegar - put fresh or dry herbs in a jar, cover with vinegar and leave in a warm place for a few weeks, strain. Use about a Tbsp of vinegar to a litre of water for the rinse (you might be able to add more vinegar to the rinse, but that would be a good place to start).

Good herbs to use would be rosemary or nettle or catnip or I guess you could use all of them?

ChloeDharma
March 11th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Or if your hair likes vinegar rinses you could try making a herbal vinegar - put fresh or dry herbs in a jar, cover with vinegar and leave in a warm place for a few weeks, strain. Use about a Tbsp of vinegar to a litre of water for the rinse (you might be able to add more vinegar to the rinse, but that would be a good place to start).

Good herbs to use would be rosemary or nettle or catnip or I guess you could use all of them?

Why didn't i think of that!

Mahars
March 11th, 2008, 06:59 PM
This is probably too obvious, but I find that rinsing for a really really long time helps with scalp gunk. When I rinse off my conditioner, I scrub my scalp at the same time for at least two minutes. ACV is also a really good helper for scalp gunk. Also, keeping conditioners and products off the roots for a few days makes a difference for me. Good luck!

Pilgrim
March 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM
icydove,

This isn't an herbal remedy, but something I've tried this winter is just mixing a few oils in the palm of my hand and massaging them into my scalp. I used jojoba, tea tree, rosemary, and bay laurel. My hair is so dry that any excess travels down the hair shaft and it's just an all round nice treatment for scalp and hair. And the bay laurel leaves a very nice scent!

sapphire-o
March 12th, 2008, 03:10 AM
I used fenugreek for a few weeks last year and it fixed my dandruff problem. I'm not too sure what you mean by gunk, if you have flakes you can give it a try. I mix a couple tablespoons of fenugreek powder with water, form a runny paste. Then put it in a blender to make it all smooth. Apply to head, rub onto scalp. Put a shower cap on and leave it for half an hour. Rinse off and wash hair as usual.

Fenugreek tend to form clumps. You might find lumps of them even after washing, but it won't damage your hair. Just shake them off. :)

mira-chan
March 12th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I have the same exact dry scalp+ scalp gunk problem. I found that white willow bark (constians salicylic acid) helps when it starts bothering me. Currently I'm using it in Dianyla's Herb gravy. It doesn't have the same drying effect as green herbs do.

To keep the gunk minimized I oil my scalp with an EO mix like Pilgrim does except mine is a monster mix of a a few more EOs.
Jatamansi, Bay Laurel, Texas Cedar, Lavander, Rosemary, Tea Tree in a carrier oils that are sesame infused with Amla and Brahmi.

I use fenugreek treatments they help with dandruff but not with scalp funk. It actually produces what feels like a film on the scalp under which the gunk compiles.

I use ACV after almost every wash. Gunk doesn't get better with or without it. Dandruffy stuff is less though.

catfish
March 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Might I suggest calendula? (marigold) I find a strong infusian of calendula does the trick or if you have the ess. oil then 10-15 drops in a carrier oil would make a wonderful treatment for your scalp.:D catfish

icydove
March 12th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I would describe gunk as something (most likely skin cells and sebum) that is the consistency of shea butter when you scrape it off your scalp. It isn't a dry flake like dandruff, and it doesn't really cause my scalp to itch. It is mostly just there and annoying :rolleyes: Frequent washing or scritching seem to make my gunk worse. Oiling my scalp doesn't seem to make it worse or better. ACV doesn't seem to have any effect. Yogurt makes my scalp itchy, probably because my scalp dislikes protein in general.

The strange thing about it, as mira-chan mentioned, is I have dry scalp as well. Sulfates irritate it.

I've been scared to try EOs because of the concentrations and possible side effects, not to mention the smell (I get migraines from many scents). I'd much rather try herbs in smaller concentrations, but I can see where the concentration of a tea might not be enough to make a difference.

ChloeDharma
March 12th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Do you take enough EFA's in your diet? I find when i don't eat enough my sebum goes drier, more like you described. I was going to suggest EPO but that's not a good idea for migranes, but there are lots of other ways of getting them.

mira-chan
March 12th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I've tried EPO, no help in any way. Flax oil isn't helping in this either.

Icydove and I are scalp twins it appears. :D Mine can't stand sulfates either. It can't stand conditioner too. EO's don't bother me, but then I'm not migraine prone.

icydove
March 12th, 2008, 07:47 PM
My scalp is actually pretty good with certain conditioners. There are certain chemicals it is more sensitive to than others, and protein makes it downright itchy, but an acceptable conditioner works fine. My scalp is about the same with conditioner or herbs, but my hair is much happier with herbs (besides that I'm trying to limit exposure to chemicals).

I really, really wanted scritching to work for me, but it just makes my scalp irritable, itchy and the gunk gets worse. Based on its reactions (or really lack of) to antifungals, I don't suspect fungus to be the issue.

I've heard EFAs are good for eczema-related conditions especially. I'm in the process of bettering my diet right now, but I haven't made a lot of progress in that area yet. Something else to consider :ponder:

ktani
March 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM
icydove

I was reading another thread which referred to green herbs and I remembered that is how you referred to catnip.

The catnip I have always used and still do - is dried cut and sifted leaves and flowers - the flower heads contain the most oils.

icydove
March 13th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Very interesting, ktani! That may make the difference :thumbsup:

ktani
March 13th, 2008, 01:38 PM
icydove

I have always bought catnip - when I first looked into it I actually looked for just the leaves - that is not how it is sold in most cases.

I have seen leaves only for sale online but I have no desire to try them now - I am very happy with what I am using.

gunjee
March 14th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Whenever I henna, my scalp gets completely free of all gunk. I add neem powder, tulsi (holy basil) powder, shikakai, amla, aritha, brahmi, bringraj, clove powder, and cinnamon powder to my henna and make it a good muddy consistency with strong black tea, so those other ingredients may have something to do with it, but I remember reading henna itself is good at clearing scalps of anything that shouldn't be there.

-Shilpa

BlueRose4217
March 19th, 2008, 09:59 AM
those are very good for scalp issues. I infuse those three into my ACV before use. My scalp is very happy and so is DH, who I've convinced to take better care of his hair! You might use some EO's in your ACV as well - tea tree is very good, too! :) HTH!

khyricat
March 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Cassia solved my scalp issues.. I still get some sebum gunk.. but not nearly what I did and my seborrhea has completely gone away since I started using a cassia poo bar, and after a henna I can go even longer.. then again I also stopped using ANY chemicals that weren't in nature on my head and that helped too..

I have been leaning towards starting to do cassia treatments that are short instead of washes with the poo bar because I love what henna does to my hair, but haven't started yet..

EvilPigeon
March 19th, 2008, 05:00 PM

I have dried nettle flakes...would one make a tea out of nettle?

mira-chan
March 19th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I have dried nettle flakes...would one make a tea out of nettle?
Yes, nettle is good for scalp, hair and also to drink. :)

ruirui
April 1st, 2008, 09:06 PM
I have a little question here...would applying an infusion of white willow bark to my scalp and letting it sit(not massaging with it on or anything) help with flakies? Or do I have to really work it in before it'd work?

Shell
April 2nd, 2008, 08:29 AM
I use an AVC rinse to keep my scalp happy. If my scalp feels irritated, I have also used aloe vera which is cooling and soothing. If I think my scalp is just dry, I use a little coconut oil.

RetroKitten
November 28th, 2008, 10:46 AM
What can I do if my scalp is dry? It's very difficult to reach my scalp because I have so many fine hairs, I would prefer a rinse, but AVC doesn't work for me.

mira-chan
November 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM
What can I do if my scalp is dry? It's very difficult to reach my scalp because I have so many fine hairs, I would prefer a rinse, but AVC doesn't work for me.
If your hair is not a light color or you're ok with some red staining, a hibiscus rinse is wonderful for dry scalp. If you don't want staining, maybe elderflower tea rinse? My scalp is also dry and ACV didn't work for me.

RetroKitten
November 28th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Well I have light hair and I try to avoid warm tones at any cost ;)! Elderflower tea sounds great and my favorite drugstore carries it in powdered form.

Do you know if there are any floral alternatives to washing my hair with amla +shikakai? I read that flowers are a lot more moisturizing though I don't know which to choose - herb/floral washing and conditioning is new to me and I have been reading a lot about it lately... Not easy to find something that doesn't change the color of your hair (with amla being an exception, I think it gets rid of the warm tones in my hair!!).

morguebabe
November 28th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I'm just chiming in to say I'm having http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16127 bad scalp issues too, and I wanted to mark this thread....
How would you use rosemary?

mira-chan
November 28th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Well I have light hair and I try to avoid warm tones at any cost ;)! Elderflower tea sounds great and my favorite drugstore carries it in powdered form.

Do you know if there are any floral alternatives to washing my hair with amla +shikakai? I read that flowers are a lot more moisturizing though I don't know which to choose - herb/floral washing and conditioning is new to me and I have been reading a lot about it lately... Not easy to find something that doesn't change the color of your hair (with amla being an exception, I think it gets rid of the warm tones in my hair!!).

Not all just flowers but Dianyla's herb gravy works wonderfully to wash hair. It doesn't color hair at all.

The recipe:
1 part (1 to 2 tbsp depending on how strong I want it) soapwort root
1 part White willow bark
1 part Marshmallow root
Boil in 2 cups of water until there is one cup left. Strain. Put in a light heat and add starch to thicken. Dianyla's original used corn starch. I use Arrowroot starch instead because it's more conditioning and gets thicker with more heat (not too much at once though). Corn starch will start to break down when boiled.

I'm just chiming in to say I'm having http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16127 bad scalp issues too, and I wanted to mark this thread....
How would you use rosemary?
Rosemary is most commonly used as a tea rinse after washing, left in or rinsed out. It also can be infused into ACV and used as a rinse that way.

morguebabe
November 30th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Would Rosemary EO mixed some jojoba be the same? Also you said you you infuse with seasame and some powders?

mira-chan
November 30th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Would Rosemary EO mixed some jojoba be the same? Also you said you you infuse with seasame and some powders?
Rosemary EO in a carrier oil (jojoba in your case) would be woderful on the scalp. I use it in my EO mix, my carrier oil is sesame, the EOs in the mix are: Rosemary, Jatamansi, Bay laurel, Texas cedar, Tea tree and Lavander.

Yes I unfused herbs into sesame oil, though not powders as those are really hard to filter out. I unfused sesame oil with curry leaves (whole) by cooking the oil on a low flame till the leaves turned black. Don't keep it on the flame too long or too high heat or it starts smoking. I want to infuse other things into it like methi but havent had time yet.

RetroKitten
December 6th, 2008, 07:25 AM
That's great idea, I could make my own amla oil :bowtome:!