PDA

View Full Version : do some hairs have a shorter lifespan?

glitterati
May 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I find that I lose a couple of short hairs (the ends are tapered, so I know they're not broken or cut hairs) everyday, and I was wondering if some hairs just have shorter lifespans. I don't seem to be losing any thickness, so I guess this is normal for me, right?

mira-chan
May 17th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Yes a percentage of hairs have a shorter terminal length. The hairs along the hairline tend to be like that.

aisling
May 17th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I have those as well. I can even see my short lived hairs, I have them along my hairline in the back, it's my neck fluff :) I think I have a few above my forehead as well, but they're not as visible. A friend of mine has a lot of those shorties around her face.They seem to shed quite fast because I can also find one almost every time I check a shedded hair.

k_hepburn
May 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Each time I find one of those short-but-obviously-come-out-with-the-root hairs lying around or sticking to me I am slightly appalled, going in my mind "What made you decide to fall out already? You're no fully grown hair of mine! You were clearly neglecting your duty, not holding on for longer! You should be ashamed of yourself!" :D:D:D:D:D

katharine

Alethia
May 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM
All along my front hairline and behind my temples extending to above my ears - these hairs are shorter than the rest of my hair. I know this because I have to add a little fake hair into braids if I do a medieval style with only those bits braided. If I don't add extra hair, these bits get really thin and taper off way before I can do anything useful with them. Nearly all the hairs in this area end with a taper as they have never been cut. I am nearly at classic with the rest of my hair.

spidermom
May 18th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I don't know where they come from, but I regularly shed out hairs that are only 2-4 inches long. I've often wondered why some hairs have such a short growth cycle.

harpgal
May 18th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I have many of those around my hairline. It really breaks my heart when one of the white ones falls out. I love the idea of whites/silvers around my face and muse happily about the way they add shimmer to my complexion.

tiny_teesha
May 18th, 2008, 09:26 AM
when i collected my hair shedding from 24 hours i found a large percentage to be short, only a bit were long. Whether this was due to the taper, or damage, i'm not sure. But i was very disappointed!

bumblebums
January 18th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Old thread, I know, but I am very curious about this, especially as it concerns the degree of individual variation. Is there anyone here on this forum who does not shed super-short (<6") terminal length hairs?

SpeakingEZ
February 7th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I'm curious as to whether hairs around the face that are NOT "baby hairs" have shorter terminal lengths. . . . The ones that are about 2" from my hairline down to my ears don't seems to grow very long at all, and I recall them only going about down to my collarbone when my hair was at its longest (though I didn't take care of it much back then). Now that they're shorter due to damage, I feel like I have extremely long bangs.