PDA

View Full Version : Should I "go shorter before i go longer"??

Vampire
August 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM
I'v been thinking about this for 2 weeks now, and i cant decide:brickwall, so I would like to get your input on the matter

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52901
here u can see my hair pictures (I hope)

I havent cut my hair in a year and it was really short so atm it's so layered that i hate it, but now the question is do i cut it all out at once or do it slowly or what? I rly hate to lose any lenght put dunno if it's better in the long run? If i cut it all out it would prolly be at shoulder length?

I have an appointment to a hair saloon to dye my hair on tuesday and wanna make up my mind by then :rolleyes:

Dreams_in_Pink
August 1st, 2010, 11:39 AM
Most people will suggest you microtrims, when you only cut very little each time so while your hair grows, you slowly get rid of any unevenness.

I, personally, decided to let my hair grow without any trims.

It's all up to what you want: do you want to get to your goal very fast OR enjoy your hair while it slowly grows?

SlightlySoprano
August 1st, 2010, 11:42 AM
Do you feel damage at the ends? If you don't, I suggest just sticking with it and letting your hemline thicken up naturally. Don't stress too much! :D

Gumball
August 1st, 2010, 11:43 AM
If you want to keep length, but want to do away with layers, you can definitely do that. It will just take some time. Just do small trims on the longest layers every month or two. Like let's say your hair grows a half an inch per month. Then if every month you trim half an inch off of the longest parts of your hair, you gain no length, but the rest of your layers continue to grow toward the end goal of being all one length. To make sure those layers stay happy just baby your hair in the meantime and that should start you off pretty well. :)

Lamb
August 1st, 2010, 11:44 AM
I hate layers, and they tend to get nasty real quick once your hair is a certain length, so I'd probably trim 1.5" off the bottom, straight across. Your hair looks good, and very healthy, but layers can make it look as though it were getting thinner as well as longer. The natural and unavoidable taper is bad enough to deal with if you prefer a thick hemline, no need to make it worse by layers.

lillylonghair
August 1st, 2010, 11:46 AM
I think maybe you could just have the stylist shape your hair so it lays better without taking much length off. I don't think you need to cut back to shoulder. I would say just a bit of a trim and have her cut your layers so they lay better. Your hair seems thick and wavy so it's probably a good idea to make sure she doesn't use a razor. That could make your hair frizzy.

cindy58
August 1st, 2010, 11:47 AM
Your other post said you're getting married in a couple of weeks, so first of all, consider how you want to look for that day.

I kind of cut my hair in spurts -- I didn't do frequent trims, but when I did I would trim up to the next layer and might have taken off a couple of inches at a time. If you would miss being able to put your hair up the way you want, keep enough length to do that. It's all about choosing your own goal, and what you're willing to put up with to get there.

spidermom
August 1st, 2010, 12:01 PM
If it were me, I'd definitely get regular trims to slowly even it out and eliminate the layers while I gain length - like maybe 1/2-inch trimmed off every 3 months.

I was in the same situation when I decided to grow long, and that is what I did. My hair slowly gained length and never looked terrible (except for - you know - bad hair days).

kimki
August 1st, 2010, 12:08 PM
Welcome to LHC :flower: It's completely up to you. It depends how damaged it feels. I'd agree with what Gumball says, a little every month or so.

ghost
August 1st, 2010, 01:56 PM
If your ends feel really damaged, or you absolutely cannot stand your layers, it might be a good idea. If you feel you can live with the layers, at least until your hair grows out more, and your ends are in good condition, I personally would not trim.

If you do decide to, you don't necessarily have to take off a lot of length at once. Taking off a half-inch every three or four months would allow you to trim the layers off slowly while still letting your hair grow.

Othala
August 1st, 2010, 02:43 PM
In your situation, I would grow it without cutting for a full year.

After a year of solid growth I would look at it again and make the decision whether to have a cut to remove all the layers.

I think you may regret losing length at this stage. Better once you know how your hair looks/feels once the layers are longer.

Yozhik
August 1st, 2010, 03:18 PM
I'd vote for either trying to go without any trims, or just get small ones while you grow your hair out further. That way, you won't get frustrated by the appearance of having "lost" all of that length, but can rather rejoice in the fact that your hair is definitely and noticeably getting longer, slowly but surely :)

I also second the mention of how you will want your hair to look for your wedding. Congratulations! :flower:

kimki
August 1st, 2010, 03:41 PM
In your situation, I would grow it without cutting for a full year.

After a year of solid growth I would look at it again and make the decision whether to have a cut to remove all the layers.

I think you may regret losing length at this stage. Better once you know how your hair looks/feels once the layers are longer.

I've changed my mind after reading the above wisdom. I think you should do that. :D Grow for a year and see how it looks.

Vampire
August 2nd, 2010, 01:35 AM
Thank you all so much for your thoughts :)
I think i have made up my mind, the final results will be in tomorrow, after my hair appointment :D

Blond Unicorn
August 2nd, 2010, 01:43 AM
I think the "growing over the shoulder" is always a stupid length and I remember, that I hated my hair also in this days. I can only recommend you to pin it up for some weeks and wait that you get over this length. :) Then everything should be much better

UltraBella
August 2nd, 2010, 01:51 AM
I think your hair look nice ! Layers are definitely not for everyone. I personally would hate my hair without layers, so they are a must for me. If you are ready to say goodbye to yours I would suggest doing it slowly. A huge trim can be difficult to get used to and sometimes a small trim can make a huge difference.

Vampire
August 3rd, 2010, 05:28 AM
Ok back from the hair salon and what an experience :rolleyes:

I told the woman doing my hair i wanted black hair (it's been awhile since i'v colored it, so it looked more like blackish brown:p)
she then said : some nice colour highlight? I said no thanks, then she asked me are u sure u want black?? I said yes, then she came to show me different dark colours and asked if i wanted one of those?.. I said NO THANKS I want BLACK, the look on her face was this :?+:crazyq:

Then came the cutting...
I said i want half inch from the longest layers only...
She said : I wanna cut more layers in the front cos your face is so round...
Yeah thanks, I know I have a fat face :hatchet:
She said : how about bangs? your forehead is so big..
I said no thx can i just get what i ask for??:steam

After all this the sour-puss (she did not smile once) did an alright job, my hair is nice and shiny and black and she only cut the half inch :applause

kimki
August 3rd, 2010, 06:22 AM
How rude...I would of told her where to go if she'd said that to me!

At least you got what you asked for, glad your pleased with it. :flower:

Tennessee Rose
August 3rd, 2010, 07:04 AM
I'v been thinking about this for 2 weeks now, and i cant decide:brickwall, so I would like to get your input on the matter

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52901
here u can see my hair pictures (I hope)

I havent cut my hair in a year and it was really short so atm it's so layered that i hate it, but now the question is do i cut it all out at once or do it slowly or what? I rly hate to lose any lenght put dunno if it's better in the long run? If i cut it all out it would prolly be at shoulder length?

I have an appointment to a hair saloon to dye my hair on tuesday and wanna make up my mind by then :rolleyes:

I suffered the same problem as you after letting my hair grow for a year and 8 months. Ends were dry and broken, adding the fact that I used the straightener almost everyday. So my advice is...yes! You should. The first time I trimmed it, I had to cut several inches I think 4 inches or so, three months later I cuted it 1 inch and a half more, and now it is healthy and growing. It has been almost 3 months since I trimmed it last time and i will do a little trim on september. Half an inch or so. Here you have the reason way I had to cut my hair and why I recomend you tu cut yours:

SORRY IF IMAGES LOOK BIGGER:

1YEAR 8MONTHS without cutting it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_k76hOfb9nfc/S5z11xH4lQI/AAAAAAAAAAk/SieVv61mR_o/s320/IMG_9568.JPG

FIRST TRIM AFTER THE PICTURE BEFORE. 4 INCHES, NOT HEALTHY AT ALL. MARCH 2010

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_k76hOfb9nfc/TCYws6-fjyI/AAAAAAAAAHI/jPutIC8c29I/s1600/13%C2%B73%C2%B720102.jpg

2ND TRIM 2 INCHES. HEALTHY AND LINED UP. JUNE 2010

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_k76hOfb9nfc/TCYwtNOkfXI/AAAAAAAAAHQ/T9ibVTfYgsI/s1600/13IMG_015522.jpg

PICTURE TAKEN YESTERDAY, I WANT TO TRIM IT HALF AN INCH ON SEPTEMBER, IT IS NOT STRAIGHTENED AFTER THE HAIRDRESSER SO THIS IS THE REAL SIZE.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_k76hOfb9nfc/TFdfJV49itI/AAAAAAAAAH8/lGeyLpSS9x4/s1600/2+Agost+2010+%282%C2%B78%C2%B72010%29+S%C3%AD+2.jp g

Tennessee Rose
August 3rd, 2010, 07:07 AM
the reason way *the reason WHY

By the way I so you already went to the saloon. If the little trim was useful to you, cool then.

Tennessee Rose
August 3rd, 2010, 07:08 AM
OMG
I so meaning I saw. Please we need to edit our messages!!!!

Phexlyn
August 3rd, 2010, 07:29 AM
Ok back from the hair salon and what an experience :rolleyes:

I told the woman doing my hair i wanted black hair (it's been awhile since i'v colored it, so it looked more like blackish brown:p)
she then said : some nice colour highlight? I said no thanks, then she asked me are u sure u want black?? I said yes, then she came to show me different dark colours and asked if i wanted one of those?.. I said NO THANKS I want BLACK, the look on her face was this :?+:crazyq:

Then came the cutting...
I said i want half inch from the longest layers only...
She said : I wanna cut more layers in the front cos your face is so round...
Yeah thanks, I know I have a fat face :hatchet:
She said : how about bangs? your forehead is so big..
I said no thx can i just get what i ask for??:steam

After all this the sour-puss (she did not smile once) did an alright job, my hair is nice and shiny and black and she only cut the half inch :applause
:bigeyes: I'm relieved to hear the stylist finally did what you wanted! They can be very stubborn sometimes, and I'm sure you've heard enough stories of unwanted advice at the salon.
It's good to hear you are happy with the results - I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures :D