PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with the "extra" hair in your sock bun?

florenonite
May 17th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I find when I do a sock bun I can never work out what to do with all that 'extra' hair left hanging down. So far the only thing I've found to work is twisting small sections around the bun. I was just wondering what everyone else does out of curiosity.

n3m3sis42
May 17th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I usually just twist the leftover part and then wrap it around the bun. Then I hide it under a scrunchie.

Here's an article that lists some things to do with your sock bun ends:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=36

I haven't tried any yet, so if you do, let me know how it works out. :)

florenonite
May 17th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I usually just twist the leftover part and then wrap it around the bun. Then I hide it under a scrunchie.

Here's an article that lists some things to do with your sock bun ends:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=36

I haven't tried any yet, so if you do, let me know how it works out. :)

The problem with those is that the hair needs to be long enough to actually hang down from the bun. Unfortunately, my layers (which are at about shoulder-length) don't do this, and kind of spike out, which is why I twist them round.

n3m3sis42
May 17th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I'm sorry those don't work for you...

Maybe you could try putting a few small, cute little clips around the bun to hold down the ends?

CurlyNinja
May 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM
My hair is layered so I have a lot of uneven chunks that hang out of the sock bun. I usually just divide the hair in two, wrap it around the bun, and use combs or pins to secure it down.

Unnamed
May 17th, 2008, 01:15 PM
My only though one needs a fair bit of extra hair for, and probably wouldn't work for those with thick hair: Basically, stick a stick behind the sock bun, then make a wrap bun (with loose hair or a braid) over the sock bun.

That's no help, though!

Hmm, random idea (and no idea if it'd work/look okay or not), but what about rag curls? You could then either leave the ends as is if they stuck out okay, or pin them in place around the sock bun (or use little claw clips) if they're a bit longer? Again, that's just a random theoretical idea.

aisling
May 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/aisling_stein/Hair/Sock%20bun/DCP_3329.jpg

If your "left overs" are pretty short, how about wrapping them around, pinning them lightly perhaps and then wrap a nice little scarf around the base to hide the ends that might be sticking out all over.

AJoifulNoise
May 17th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I do a smaller sock bun (more like a half up) and leave the leftover hair down.

swanns
May 17th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Is there an article about how to make the sock bun you need for this style? Or could someone explain how to make one?

Isilya
May 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM
How to make the sock for the sock bun:

Find an old, clean sock
Cut the toes off (don't cut too much)
Start rolling the sock up at the elastic part (you know, the original opening)
If you have rolled it up entirely, you will now have a round, donut-shaped sock
If you think the donut-form is too small, you can roll 2 socks up together

Alethia
May 17th, 2008, 02:11 PM
If I had short, spiky bits sticking out, I would use a little aloe gel on them to give them definition and spike them out more. I think that would look awesome!

If they're a bit long for that, split into 2 or 4 sections depending on how short they are, twist and wind around the base of the sock as far as they will go before securing with bobby pins. Spiky bits will stick out, but I quite like that.

For a sleeker look, go with a scarf wrapped round as shown above. You could use a shorter scarf and tie in a reef knot at the side with some loose ends for a 1950's look.

florenonite
May 17th, 2008, 02:17 PM
The scarf sounds like a good idea, as does the wrapping around in 2-4 sections. I could try the spiking with gel, but that would probably only work for the shorter layers on the top.

Patrycja
May 17th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I use the mini clips suggestion.If I'm too lazy for that-I just leave them sticking out on the bottom part of the sock bun.It looks messy chic IMO

Qamar
May 17th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Silly question, but how do you use the sock bun once your sock is all rolled up into a donut?

Forgive me, for I am new here and utterly ignorant. :)

swanns
May 17th, 2008, 03:01 PM
How to make the sock for the sock bun:
Find an old, clean sock
Cut the toes off (don't cut too much)
Start rolling the sock up at the elastic part (you know, the original opening)
If you have rolled it up entirely, you will now have a round, donut-shaped sock
If you think the donut-form is too small, you can roll 2 socks up together

Thank you! :flowers:

Calista
May 17th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Silly question, but how do you use the sock bun once your sock is all rolled up into a donut?

Forgive me, for I am new here and utterly ignorant. :)
Click the link on the first page of this thread, there are some good instructions there. :)

Qamar
May 17th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Thank you!

Isilya
May 17th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Thank you! :flowers:

You're welcome!

Qamar
May 17th, 2008, 04:26 PM
If I may ask, is there a key somewhere as to the definitions of the hair types?
Yours says 2a/M/iii

The M is medium texture but what on earth do the others stand for? I have no idea how to answer those to fill out my profile. :(

Cricket
May 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I have enough hair to braid and wrap around my sock buns, but I still like using scarves to dress them up.

I also found that cheap fishnet stocking sections can work great for holding the stray bits as well. I cut a 2-3 inch section off of the leg, slide it over the sock bun and position it over the badly pinned ends. I tuck the edges of the fishnet in with the tail of my comb and it usually stays in place for the entire day.

Isilya
May 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM
If I may ask, is there a key somewhere as to the definitions of the hair types?
Yours says 2a/M/iii

The M is medium texture but what on earth do the others stand for? I have no idea how to answer those to fill out my profile. :(

Here's the hairtyping system from the old boards:

Fia's Hairtyping System

First classifier - Your curliness (or lack thereof)

The straight ones
1a - stick straight
1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

The wavy ones
2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair
2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there

The curly ones
3a - big, loose spiral curls
3b - bouncy ringlets
3c - tight corkscrews

The really curly ones
4a - tightly coiled S-curls
4b - tightly coiled hair bending in sharp angles (Z-pattern)

Second classifier - What (most of) your individual strands look like

F - Fine
Thin strands that sometimes are almost translucent when held up to the light. Shed strands can be hard to see even against a contrasting background. Similar to hair found on many people of Scandinavian descent.

M - Medium
Strands are neither fine nor coarse. Similar to hair found on many Caucasians.

C - Coarse
Thick strands that where shed strands usually are easily identified against most backgrounds. Similar to hair found on many people of Asian, Hispanic or native American descent.

Third classifier - Your overall volume of hair

Put your hair in a ponytail with as much hair as possible in it. Don't bother with the way it looks - the goal is to have most/all of your hair in there. If it means it sits smack dab on top of your head, put it there.
Measure the circumference of the ponytail. If you have bangs and/or you can't get all of your hair in there adjust according to how much of your hair you have measured.

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)

ii - normal (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)

iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)

If you are having difficulty determining the thickness of individual hairs, this might help:

Take a strand of hair from the back of your head. Roll the strand between your thumb and index finger.

Fine Hair -- Your hair is difficult to feel or it feels like an ultra-fine strand of silk.

Coarse Hair -- Your hair feels hard and wiry. As you roll it back and forth, you may actually hear it!

Medium Hair -- Your hair feels like a cotton thread. You can feel it, but it isn't stiff or rough. It is neither fine or coarse.

Qamar
May 17th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Hooray! Thank so SO much for clearing up that mystery. I wonder if there is any way to add that to the FAQ page for other mystified newcomers?

florenonite
May 18th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I have enough hair to braid and wrap around my sock buns, but I still like using scarves to dress them up.

I also found that cheap fishnet stocking sections can work great for holding the stray bits as well. I cut a 2-3 inch section off of the leg, slide it over the sock bun and position it over the badly pinned ends. I tuck the edges of the fishnet in with the tail of my comb and it usually stays in place for the entire day.

So you mean kind of like a bun net?

Cricket
May 18th, 2008, 05:17 AM
florenonite:

Similar, but its not a full net. I forgot to mention that I chop the toes off of the fishnet as well, leaving more of a ring. This way I can keep the nice looking bun and just cover the wrapped ends.

I should post a pic the next time I do this. It'll give me yet another excuse to play with my hair. :D

Isilya
May 18th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Hooray! Thank so SO much for clearing up that mystery. I wonder if there is any way to add that to the FAQ page for other mystified newcomers?

I just discovered it's on this site too (it's in the 'Articles'-section under 'Miscellaneous') so if you ever need it again, you won't have to look for my post :)

Maybe a mod could put a link to it in the 'New? Start here!'-thread :shrug:

Morag
May 20th, 2008, 06:50 PM
The problem with those is that the hair needs to be long enough to actually hang down from the bun. Unfortunately, my layers (which are at about shoulder-length) don't do this, and kind of spike out, which is why I twist them round.

My hair still still pretty short (slightly past shoulder) and very straight. I just leave the ends sticking out all around, a short halo effect. I can sometimes smooth the ends into the hair on my head surrounding the bun (not the bun itself) and they almost disappear, but I like the halo better. :)