PDA

View Full Version : ain't no bun like a sock bun!

akrasia
August 1st, 2010, 03:11 AM
Just wanted to share that, although I've had long hair most of my life, it was only since joining this forum this month that I've been exposed to the wonder that is the SOCK BUN!

I did a high sock bun on Friday and my husband was like, "Wow, that looks really elegant!" I couldn't wait to show him the trick.

And I've tried a low bun for work. Way better than the sad little natural bun my fine hair makes.

Thanks!

Lassie
August 1st, 2010, 03:29 AM
they are certainly one of the best things i learnt from LHC - (the fully wrapped version - for some reason the normal version just doesnt sit right on my head)

Pear Martini
August 1st, 2010, 03:31 AM
Is there some kind of tutorial on here, I want to learn how to sock bun!

UltraBella
August 1st, 2010, 03:34 AM
Yes, there is ! How to get to it though, hmmm.......
Oh ! Someone posted it on my thread entitle Giant Fully Rolled Sock Bun. It's within the first few comments I think.
Please, someone link it here, I have no idea how :)

Pear Martini
August 1st, 2010, 03:36 AM
Thanks, UB. Ill just search for the thread :)

UltraBella
August 1st, 2010, 03:45 AM
On that thread it is in comment #21. I don't know why I have a mental block when it comes to posting links....... Sorry ! It's a GREAT video though :)

Pear Martini
August 1st, 2010, 03:50 AM
Found it! I'll have to try it when my hair is dry... which will be in a couple hours :sleep:. It looks kind of tricky, but worth the effort.

UltraBella
August 1st, 2010, 03:52 AM
First few times I had a disaster, but it really is easy after you get the hang of it.

Purdy Bear
August 1st, 2010, 04:18 AM
I totally agree, its so neat and tidy, and relatively easy, no wonder so many in the military use it. I may be biased at it was the sock bun that led me here! Notoriousnoee has a good video on You Tube on the very subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIzoqMh1mfI

tinti
August 1st, 2010, 07:42 AM
I so agree, I can't wait for my layers to grow out so that I can try it myself, the fully wrapped one. I can do the "normal" one, but I don't like the way it looks, it's too obvious maybe.

plainjanegirl
August 1st, 2010, 07:45 AM
I love doing a regular sock bun and then making pin curls out of my extra hair instead of wrapping it around.
Not a fan of the fully rolled newer version of sock bun. My hair is too thick or long and it makes a tangled huge mess every time I try it.

LouLaLa
August 1st, 2010, 07:59 AM
Im a sock bun addict! As you can see from my avatar (double sock, peacock feathers) the sock bun is so simple and versatile I use it as a canvas to let my imagination go wild! I have one in today with vintage pins and small glass flowers teehee

Gumball
August 1st, 2010, 11:36 AM
I totally agree that sock buns are a simple, but very fancy looking style, usually because they tend to look so smooth and put together. Just make sure those socks are clean, else your sock bun could start smelling like a sweat sock! I'm still not sure if I'll ever get around to trying a sock bun.

Pumpkin
August 1st, 2010, 12:11 PM
Gonna try this bun...it is on my list.

dropinthebucket
August 1st, 2010, 03:56 PM
I love that she does it in her cam jacket, that so rocks! Those of you who sock bun, do you think it would be damaging to fine, fragile hair? I can do hair sticks, 'cause there's a minimum of manipulation, and I can do braids - beyond that, like if I try fancy braid variations - I can hear the hair breaking as I try to separate it - it sticks, fine, floaty, cobwebby. My natural bun looks so tiny by itself, though! Whadd'ya think? Safe to try, or will I get a broken mess?

Antipodienne
August 1st, 2010, 04:08 PM
I KNOW!!!! I just tried out sock curls for the very first time today, having been a sock bun convert for some time now. I like to put several socks together in a tube before I roll it into a donut to make a freakin' huge bun. It looks like some of the more awesome styles from the 60's. Add cat eyeliner and glam it up!

Bluegrass Babe
August 1st, 2010, 04:11 PM
I love doing a regular sock bun and then making pin curls out of my extra hair instead of wrapping it around.

Please post a pic! :pray:
How do you hide the pins in the pin curls? :confused:

plainjanegirl
August 1st, 2010, 06:30 PM
Please post a pic! :pray:
How do you hide the pins in the pin curls? :confused:

There is a pic on my profile page.

LadyLongLocks
August 1st, 2010, 06:58 PM
I have had so much fun making sock buns! I have made some HUGE ones and some normal ones.
I have all different insert sizes.I just take photos of them and never wear them in public though.
I think my biggest sock bun measured 11" across!
It was for the Yahoo Group BUNS where we were having fun posting our creations and seeing how big we could make them.
It was hilarious and incredible!
Sock buns can be elegant too, and a great way to add volume!
(I have a couple photos in my albums here)

LouLaLa
August 2nd, 2010, 06:16 AM
Those of you who sock bun, do you think it would be damaging to fine, fragile hair?

I have fine hair and have never had an issue, infact its quite nice as it gives the illusion of volume. My top tip for fine haires ladies is to get a knee lenth or over the knee sock so that you have more padding and thus it appears as if the bun is bigger. Also when you wrap the ends (ie the very beginning part of the bun) so so very slowly till they are tucked in. If you roll slowly and firmly it should come out nicely :)

triumphator!
August 2nd, 2010, 06:21 AM
I love sock buns, because it makes it hard to tell how long my hair really is! A giant poof could come from any length of hair :)

Evie
August 11th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Love sock buns!

I have found them so versatile and easy to wear

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u63/evie_066/SDC11401.jpg

SarahBeth
August 12th, 2010, 07:52 AM
i love sock buns, yeah sock buns. makes great waves the next day

serious
August 12th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I love sock buns!

But, be careful, sock buns can be really tempting :D
Some people might want to put a finger in the bun hole, or just squeeze it!
Here's what happened to me:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52648

:D:D:D

julliams
August 12th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I used this method http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM&feature=fvw and came up with this. My hair is only BSL and this thing is HUGE. Plus it feels totally secure and there is not one single thing in there to keep it up except the initial hairtie and sock. The method is tricky and as you can see mine needs some work but I got this bun after only about 4 tries. It could look really elegant with some jewellery tied around it.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4884901235_77a80b171e_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/30978946@N03/4884901235/)http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4884929315_dc9a750959_m.jpg

Fiordiligi
August 12th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I had a hair doughnut about 20 years ago but never really knew what to do with it - I think I was always trying to put hairgrips in, which didn't really work! Anyway it's only recently that I've learnt about using socks, and at the moment I'm still practicing - haven't dared go out with one yet! I'm doing the Loepsie fully wrapped method, using a fairly small pair of brown toddler socks rolled together. It took me a few goes to get the right size for the hole in the middle.

What I'm wondering is - do you start with a ponytail and an elastic? I can sort of do it without, but I don't know how long it would last.

blctsyllwdg
August 12th, 2010, 10:13 AM
The full sock bun is way too big, and the tail version meh now, used to love it. However, 9 mo has just enough to mostly cover and well she's adorable.

luxepiggy
August 12th, 2010, 05:01 PM
akrasia - I couldn't agree more! I've had long hair for my entire life, but I never heard about the fully rolled sock buns until I joined LHC, and I love them! As you mentioned, the low one is fantastic for work/professional situations

(^(oo)^) yay for sock buns!

julliams
August 12th, 2010, 07:19 PM
What I'm wondering is - do you start with a ponytail and an elastic? I can sort of do it without, but I don't know how long it would last.

I just started with my hair in a ponytail, then I took the doughnut and put it around the ends of my hair and kind of coaxed them into "position" and tucking as much around the doughnut as possible. Then I proceeded to roll which actually felt like I was making an awful mess and knots but when I took it out there wasn't any. It really only comes together at the last second - most of the way up it is looking awful. Then it comes together and you have a ginormous bun on the top of your head. It is mostly air so it's not dense and it looks like I've backcombed it to get height but of course I have not. I could have comfortably worn that all night without a pin to hold it in place. Might have been a fluke but who knows...

Clytemnestra
August 13th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I could have comfortably worn that all night without a pin to hold it in place. Might have been a fluke but who knows...

Wow, at first glance it appeared to be pinned, very cool that it just stays in place by wrapping - I love it, very 1960's!

Fiordiligi
August 22nd, 2010, 08:00 AM
Well, I've been practicing on holiday, and I think I really have got it at last, and I've actually been out of the house wearing a sock bun at lasy. And yes, I do really need to start with an elastic. I also tried sleeping with it in, with just slightly damp hair: it wasn't uncomfortable, but the resulting curls were just.... bizarre. Really really curly round my neck, far curlier in fact than my hair can take (I'm a couple of inches short of APL). And the ends were kind of straw-like. So I think I'm going to leave that for a while, for longer hair and nicer ends...!

naples
August 28th, 2010, 05:37 PM
My girlfriend was over this afternoon and had looked up a bun she though she could do on my hair at its length and thickness and came up with this. She did it low at my nape and told me to practice. It doesnt look that great when i do it but i like having all my hair up like that sometimes. Havent worn it out though

MaKenna90
December 18th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I had never heard of the sock bun until the LHC.

BeccaAngel
December 18th, 2010, 09:59 PM
what is a sock bun?

luxepiggy
December 18th, 2010, 10:12 PM
what is a sock bun?

This is a sock bun (instructional Youtube video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM)):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=84473

Sockbun curls! YMMV on this one - it seems sockbuns make curls for a lot of the straighties , while they actually straighten for many of the curlies!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=86932