PDA

View Full Version : For Haircolor girls

Vampire
August 1st, 2010, 02:33 AM
Hey all, still new here and been trying to find u girls who dye your hair, I use black :D

Was wondering about lots of things but firstly oil?
What oil u use and how often? Going to Amsterdam soon and was thinking of looking into hemp oil, haven't tried any oil yet

How often do u dye it? And do u only dye the roots? any advice on minimizing the damage on hair when dyeing?

and any other advice is welcome :bow:

UltraBella
August 1st, 2010, 02:38 AM
Hi ! I dye my hair and I have highlights. The color I use is only a Demi-color, so the only damage I have to be careful of is from the bleach for the highlights. I only do the roots for my highlights, but I foil in the coppery red color all the way to my ends.
I oil with coconut oil, jojoba oil or sweet almond oil. I only do it every two weeks or so, when I remember :)

09robiha
August 1st, 2010, 06:58 AM
Hi, welcome to LHC, I dye! My natural, yucky dishwater blonde is just not for me Im afraid. Currently dying a bright orangey/copperish colour via my hairdresser, alough I do sometimes do it myself at home. I oil mainly, with cocnut oil, although I have heard this can fade your colour so I'm on the hunt for a new oil. Olive oil is a little too heavy, whilst jojoba is too light.

As for frequency, I do my roots when I cant stand them any more!! That usually ends up being about 6 weeks but I can leave it for longer. I do the whole colour when it becomes realllly faded but since I only CO wash, fading has become less of a problem.

redkdawg
August 1st, 2010, 07:54 AM
I tend to color the roots only. I will add a little bit on the middle if the color is faded a bit. I try to make up for it by conditioning the ends most of the time.

VintageBrooklyn
August 1st, 2010, 08:03 AM
Hello and welcome Vampire!
I have been dying my hair black for around 13 years now. (Just decided to start to 'try' growing out my gray, but I will put in my five cents worth!)
I think it's a good idea that once you have your lengths black, you should just dye your regrowth as the chemical box dyes can be very damaging on your lengths.
I have only used Olive Oil as a treatment and that worked really well. There are lots of recipes for oily treatments around this forum, I use the search function to find them! Everyone here is so helpful and lovely, you will have a ball here and find out so much! I know I have!
So I would say to only dye your roots and maybe just the lengths every so often as I found the dye damaged my hair too much. Mind you, I did colour every two weeks, which can't be good. I think most people do theirs every month or two.

:)

missfortune9335
August 1st, 2010, 08:25 AM
Hi there, I hav emy hair professionally colored about every 5-6 weeks.
I just wanted to caution you, there is some controversy about color treated hair and oil. Some people find that oils (especially olive and coconut) make their color fade very quickly, others haven't had a problem with it. You might want to test it out on part of your hair first so you can see what you think. I'm doing this now with a chunk of hair by my left ear, I'm going to use coconut oil until my next coloring and then compare it to the rest of my hair and see if it looks any more faded or just the same.