PDA

View Full Version : Accent braids

AlleyKitten
August 1st, 2010, 01:32 AM
I'm planning a gypsy-style costume for an event, and I want to include a bunch of accent braids, hair wraps, and little braids with beads on them in my hairdo, but every time I try to make accent braids, they turn out wonky. The top is never close enough to the scalp, it never lays the way I want it to, and it generally looks frizzy and messy. What are the secrets to accent braids? How can I make them awesome?

LittleOrca
August 1st, 2010, 01:36 AM
I think for the frizzy look to take some oil to them. Pick your favorite one and coat the hair you are going to braid. I am not sure about the other problem. Maybe braid them a little tighter than normal and hold your hair closer to your scalp as you braid then move down? I hope that made sense. :)

Squeak toy
August 1st, 2010, 06:13 AM
I agree with littleorca, tightly braid and oil them well. Also they do not have to be very thin. Mine look bad very thin.

Tiina
August 1st, 2010, 06:27 AM
When you start pull the hair in the direction you want it to lay afterwards. If you braid straight down and away it can't be turned in another direction without getting an odd lump at the base. You can also do the first few bumps as a french/dutch braid or arrange your 'do so that the beginning of the accent braid is covered by pulled back hair.

:)

Phexlyn
August 1st, 2010, 07:00 AM
When you start pull the hair in the direction you want it to lay afterwards. If you braid straight down and away it can't be turned in another direction without getting an odd lump at the base. You can also do the first few bumps as a french/dutch braid or arrange your 'do so that the beginning of the accent braid is covered by pulled back hair.

:)
This. And try putting oil/hair wax on the accent braid to keep it more smooth.

Gumball
August 1st, 2010, 11:38 AM
I definitely agree with those who said maybe adding a little oil, or gel, or some sort of styling aid can help smooth fluffy braids right down. Getting the braid to start near the scalp just takes some practice with starting the braid itself.

Personally my only issue when dealing with accent braids were when the braid was tied off when the hair's layers started to poke out and unravel. That usually left a long tassel, and pinning an accent braid into place when there's a long tassel to deal with is quite a challenge.