PDA

View Full Version : Which kind of braid is your favourite?

Phalaenopsis
May 17th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Braiding is my kind of thing lately and since there are some many different styles and kinds of braids, which one is your favourite? Maybe you have one favourite because it's easy and another favourite because you like the look.

Recently I learned to make the 5-strand braid and the boxbraid in the french version. And my favourite at the moment is the boxbraid in the french way. Actually, I like all braids more in the french braid version.
My all time favourite is just the plain french braid. Easy and quick to do and it has a nice look :)

I didn't make a poll, since there are too many kinds. Anyway, what about you? :flower:

Radulfr
May 17th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I like the look of "Dutch" and 5-strand braids.
I can do Dutch braids myself, French seems a little more difficult.
A plain old "English" braid down one's back is good too.

AJoifulNoise
May 17th, 2008, 11:08 AM
My favorite braid at the moment is the Dutch braid.

I'm also fond of pigtail English braids.

Unnamed
May 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I've always liked french braids (probably my favourite!), and fairly often do them for my night-time braid or for a braided bun. I also like a 5-strand french, but I don't do those as often.

MeganS
May 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
So, hypothetically speaking, if one were unable to do a more complex braid than the plain ordinary three-strand one, where would one find instructions for doing this Dutch braid? :D

I looked through the articles and didn't find any.

AJoifulNoise
May 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM
So, hypothetically speaking, if one were unable to do a more complex braid than the plain ordinary three-strand one, where would one find instructions for doing this Dutch braid? :D

I looked through the articles and didn't find any.

I learned from www.dreamweaverbraiding.com (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com) .

Meli
May 17th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I don't know which my favourite braid is. There are so many different beautiful braids. Unfortunately I cannot do too difficult braids on myself, though. Perhaps learning to do a boxbraid on myself will be my next project. Or a herringbone braid? Or perhaps a crown braid... :confused:

MeganS
May 17th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I learned from www.dreamweaverbraiding.com (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com) .Many thanks!

freznow
May 17th, 2008, 12:40 PM
My favorite used to be the dutch, but now that you've shown me the wonders of the box braid, I'm becoming rather fond of it!

KatKeRo
May 17th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I prefer 3strand braids. Anything over or under 3 strand I find ugly.

Phalaenopsis
May 17th, 2008, 12:55 PM
My favorite used to be the dutch, but now that you've shown me the wonders of the box braid, I'm becoming rather fond of it!

Hehe, this is the first time I've enabled someone :D Glad you like it :)

Um Enis
May 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM
heringbone. but unfortunately i can only do the plain 3-strand one, French and regular

bte
May 17th, 2008, 01:04 PM
The ordinary English braid is the only one I can do, mainly because I don't have enough hair for any of the others.

eadwine
May 17th, 2008, 01:11 PM
My being Dutch has NOTHING to do with me liking the Dutch braid best :lol:

Phalaenopsis
May 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I wonder how it comes it is called the dutch braid. Did all the women in the netherlands used to wear that kind of braids in the middle ages or something? ;)

eadwine
May 17th, 2008, 04:12 PM
If only I knew.. I have an IDEA but that is nothing scientific, likely all made up based on nothing but fiction, and TOTALLY not suitable for this forum :lol:

florenonite
May 17th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I like French or English braids for ease, but for looks I like herringbone or rope braids.

GlassEyes
May 17th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Mine is herringbone, tough I'm useless with braiding at the moment. T_T

Jason
May 17th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Of braids I can do, I like the three strand braid but in a halfup best.

Silver & Gold
May 17th, 2008, 05:38 PM
French and herringbone are my favorite braids. Herringbone is so lovely and romantic if it is allowed to loosen up a bit. My hair isn't quite long enough to pull this off as loosely as I would like - too many hairs fall out. But I look forward to wearing this style once my hair has a bit more length to it.
I also like a twist on each side that leads to a herringbone in the back. So pretty.

HeavenlyTresses
May 17th, 2008, 07:03 PM
French is my go to braid but Dutch is my favorite.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/joeylocks/Dutch2.jpg

yogachic
May 17th, 2008, 07:36 PM
A regular 3 strand braid. My 2nd favorite is the herringbone, which i just recently learned, which i find to be quite simple.

Cactus Jack
May 18th, 2008, 09:45 AM
The Heidi Braid is my favorite braided hair style. It looks so elegant. Right next to it is the Crown Braid. I went to the Roller Derby last night and dual braids, both Engish and French are really "in." both with the players and ladies in the audience. :D

Haldir
May 18th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Herringbone... when I can do it right :P

Masara
May 18th, 2008, 11:45 AM
My favourite lookwise is a Dutch braid, I particularly like the look of classic Dutch braids, but for speed and ease, I'll always go for a French braid.

Adding to the discussion as to why the Dutch braid is called "Dutch", English speakers call the French braid "French", but it's not all that common in France and never has been. The French refer to it as an "African braid".

Gumball
May 18th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I love dutch braids the most, followed closely by the rope braid. One of these days I'll learn how to use more strands though. Then we'll see if that statement of mine changes! It's very possible that I'll just gain a new favorite to add to my list.

kwaniesiam
May 18th, 2008, 11:53 AM
French braid, since it's the easier for me other than simple English braid. Dutch braids look weird on me but I love doing them on others, and one day when my hair gets longer I will attempt to master the crown braid.

Blueglass
May 18th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Dutch braids. I don't do them everyday, but really my favorite. Heavenly, that braid just goes on and on and looks fantasic.

OhioLisa
May 18th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I LOVE the look of herringbone braids. And the fact that they are so easy makes them even better!

blue_nant
May 18th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I really love the herringbone, but the two times I've done it, it looked crappy.

My practical faves are the three-strand and the french braid (french for humid summers)

Medievalhair
May 19th, 2008, 12:01 AM
My 1st favorite is double braids of any kind, 2nd favorite Hedi(Leia) Braids they look so elegant, and last favorite Herringbone, those look so nice but they take a long time to do.

Chamomilemaiden
May 19th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I like French braids. I especially like those two French braids that are made in a bun (I donīt know the name of it :o ) But I donīt do them often, if I wear braid itīs usually a simple 3 strand braid because itīs quickest.
And I also find the rope braid very nice:)

mommy2one05
May 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I like the french braid the best, but when I do a braid often I normally do the 3 strand english braid. When I french braid it really hurts my arms..not sure why. Every now and then for something different I like to put my hair in a low ponytail and then make 6-8 tiny english braids.

vindo
May 19th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I like the look of a dutch braid, Im just not too good at doing it. Herringbone braids are pretty too but they make my hair look thinner and taper very obvious...:(

Ohio Sky
May 19th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I have not attempted any braids with more than 4 strands. I really like the look of a four strand on myself, but have to start it in a pony. I lack the agility/grace to do a french style with more than 3 strands, and I cant even get the basic 3 strand to look good most of the time.

But I can braid like a madwoman on DD. Her favorite is the herringbone.

Irishred
May 19th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I like French but have a hard time getting it to look right on my head. I really like double french pinned, great for summer. I'm working on my dutch skills and hope I can do double dutch this summer. I really like the look of dutch crown braids but have yet to make one successfully.

Various style based on English braids are easy and versatile for me. Braided bun, Laura braids (2 english), Heidi braids, braided Chinese bun, and the list goes on.

Islandgrrl
May 19th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I don't know how to do much in the braid department, unfortunately. I can do an English braid, which is my favorite because it's EASY. I can do a French braid which is okay, and I just learned how to do a Dutch braid. Still working the kinks out of the technique for that one - it's a little lumpy yet...

I'd love to learn to do a 5-strand or a 4-strand or a box braid or anything else a little exotic and easy enough for a reasonably coordinated grrl to learn.

Haith
May 19th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I have an ever present wonkiness in my braids, but that doesn't stop me from braiding regularly. I usually go for a plain ol' 3-strand french or dutch braid depending on my mood.

1nuitblanche
May 19th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I really like the three-strand french braid. It distributes the weight of my hair fairly evenly and I like the simple/elegant way it looks.

HeavenlyTresses
May 20th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Dutch braids. I don't do them everyday, but really my favorite. Heavenly, that braid just goes on and on and looks fantasic.

Thank you :)

Morag
October 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I love the look of the herringbone, but my arms get too tired and I can never finish it, even with relatively short hair.

I wear a three-strand french braid, usually tucked under, quite often. It looks great for work. I can't do a double french braid to save my life - the sides come out so very different every time!

I would like to get better with the crown braid - it's beautiful, but so far I'm a klutz with it.

And I need to start practicing a four-strand for when my hair gets a few inches longer.

I'm not even considering trying fives yet, but I think they look completely awesome.

harley mama
October 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Right now i only use a single English braid when I take time to do one.
Lately I have been just wearing a bun.

ChatoyantLocks
October 18th, 2008, 08:05 PM
My current favorite is a six strand braid made up of six three strand braids. It takes a while to put in, but is very low maintenance once it is in. I recently put one in and was able to leave it in place for three days and only a few wisps came loose, and I had less tangling than I usually get with a basic braid in one day. And, as a bonus, I got the most amazing braid waves! I've got photographs I'm planning to put in my photo album soon.

SweetPea88
October 18th, 2008, 08:24 PM
It's so hard to choose! My go-to braid is definitely the three strand, but lately I've been doing a lot of Dutch braids and French braids. I really love the herringbone as well (:p), and while it is easy to make, it takes me a bit longer and my arms sometimes get tired.

I really want to learn how to make a crown braid and also a 5-strand braid.

AnneAdeline
October 18th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I just adore having two Dutch braids. I also like the herringbone, though it takes a bit longer.

BlackfootHair
October 18th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I always liked when my aunt had her super long hair in a fishtail. I just thought it looked like the coolest thing ever! I learned how to do the fish tail and did it on my niece. When my hair is long, I'll enjoy wearing it.

When I was little I always liked when my mom put my hair in a French braid. Well...come to think of it, she really couldn't do a French braid, but she did some form of it, and I liked it. :)

Okay, after posting this I seen someone posting about a herringbone...I'm guessing that's the proper term....not "fish tail" hahahaha :D

Fireweed
October 18th, 2008, 11:31 PM
English braid as it is all I know right now.

Vitalai
October 19th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I love the look of rope braids and herringbone braids. There's something about them that is very intricate and makes them look much harder to do than they actually are. In buns, they look very elegant and pretty, too.

Seraphina
October 19th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I also love herringbone and rope braids,but I can't seem to do the herringbone in my own hair,mum has to do it.Rope braids don't turn out very well either : ( Just need more practice,I guess.Out of the ones I can actually do,I like a four-strand and a french braid the best.

vampodrama
October 19th, 2008, 01:28 AM
herringbone! that looks just totally lovely and I can't wait for my hair to be long and unlayered enough to pull off a decent herringbone braid.

next in line is dutch braid. very comfy and easy.

Finoriel
October 19th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Five strand dutch braid :D it looks like very delicate braiding while sporting a really fat braid, which is a nice combination imo. Looks very cool and Iīm glad I took the time to practice with this one. Itīs worth it.

Sarahmoon
October 19th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Rope braid and it's variations :) Easy and fast and I haven't seen them on anyone else yet I meet in real life.

Periwinkle
October 19th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I can only do 3-strand braids; rope braids don't work with my layers and I can't do my hair in 4-strands, even though I can do it on bits of string and such. My favourite that I can do is a French braid.

Dreamweaver's braiding site has a picture of a 7-strand Dutch and I think it looks stunning. I can do Dutch braids, but I find them really fiddly...I should practise.

ImmortaLamia
October 20th, 2008, 05:17 AM
i think i like alot the fishtail braid...i just learned to do it a month ago or so...it's so nice!

NeilTheFuzz
October 20th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I can only do a standard braid. Which I don't do too often anyway. As far as what I like on other people, I always thought that french braids on girls are very pretty, especially when the persons hair is smooth and the braid is put in well.

Arctic
October 20th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I love all braids, and wear them often. Braiding has been always quite easy for me. The newest I learned is 4-strand box braid.

GlassEyes
October 21st, 2008, 05:54 AM
My old favorite used to be herringon, but I like the standard braid the most now.

mooglewoo
October 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
Herringbone Braid. Which until I found LHC, I called a fishbone braid heh.

Islandgrrl
October 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
English braids are all I can do reliably. I can French braid, but my hair is still too layered for it to look the way I want it to look, so I don't bother.

I can braid bread loaves up to 12 strands, but go figure, I can't braid my own hair worth a darn!

Medvssa
October 22nd, 2008, 11:34 AM
I like the look of herringbones, and rope braids, but they do not work with my hair due to the curls. Braids in general don't, maybe when it is longer.

Tangles
October 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
Heidi braids are insanely flattering--I don't see how they couldn't look good on someone. They're feminine, yet get all your hair OUT of the way. They're also unusual--I think I've seen one or two girls in my LIFE wearing them!

Arctic_Mama
October 23rd, 2008, 04:41 AM
My favorite are rope braided buns and crown braids. They look super elegant and complicated while being easy as pie. Sadly I can't do them on my hair unless it's WELL below my waist, stupid thickness :(

gthlvrmx
March 20th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Rope braid and cable braid. They just look fantastic.

evieisocoolike
April 13th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I love them all!

lapushka
April 13th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Having trouble choosing between a French braid or an English side braid... Can't decide...

MissManda
April 13th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I like braids of all kinds, so choosing a favorite is not easy! :p I really like the feeling of weaving the strands together and the challenge of learning new styles, combining them, and all that jazz.

I really like the look of a simple English braid going down the back and because it is my quick and easy go-to.

I also like the variation of the five-strand braid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVUDGQ_8OU0&feature=plcp&context=C45d39fcVDvjVQa1PpcFOgOzN5cipqyIhmN1pSOfIu b1108I5MDak%3D) that looks like a cross between an English and a fishtail. It is another quick, easy braid that comes in handy when I want the look of a fishtail braid without the uber time consumption (works best for thinner sections of hair. For some reason, I really like how this feels when I hold my braid in the palm of my hand; maybe because of the smaller strands combined with the fatness?

Rope braids are another favorite because they look difficult but are very easy. I absolutely love the swirly effect they make when put up into a bun. :crush:

Of the more "complex" types of braid, I think the four-strand box braid is my favorite. It is another one of those braids that just feels so fascinating to hold.

augustashes
April 14th, 2012, 11:42 PM
i love how easy and convenient a single french braid is, i also love doing a little accent braid to add to any hairstyle.

EtherealDoll
April 15th, 2012, 02:36 AM
Fishtail braid, rope braid and diagonal French braid.

KittyBird
April 15th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Fishtail braid, because it's so easy to do and it looks really pretty. I pretty much love all braids, I'm just not able to do most of them :o

PolarCathy
April 15th, 2012, 02:59 AM
Fishtail braid, because it's so easy to do and it looks really pretty. I pretty much love all braids, I'm just not able to do most of them :o

Teach me, please, I'm close, I'm in Sweden, because I can't do a fishtail. I tried. ;) ;)
I find it very hard. I can do a five-strand whatever (mostly on others because I don't have enough length) but not a fishtail.

But to the question, my favs are 4-strand braids with a scarf, high Dutch braids especially diagonally and Arwen braids.

ByGrace90
April 18th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I do enjoy french braids. They are simple and pretty.

nobeltonya
April 18th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I really like the herringbone/fish tail braid, but I really don't have the patience to do it on over 3 ft of hair every day... I tried it this morning and I started it too loose, so when I put it over my shoulder to finish the end, it all slipped to that side... :(

I also like 4-strand braids. They're nice and thick, and look neat. :)

DancingQueen
April 18th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I love the four strand braid, but I just discovered the mermaid braid, and I fell completely in love with it! I am looking forward to when my hair is long enough to do it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0HlzoWIc2U&feature=BFa&list=PL8F5F9EE0FEB8F016&lf=plpp_video

KittyBird
April 19th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Teach me, please, I'm close, I'm in Sweden, because I can't do a fishtail. I tried. ;) ;)
I find it very hard. I can do a five-strand whatever (mostly on others because I don't have enough length) but not a fishtail.

But to the question, my favs are 4-strand braids with a scarf, high Dutch braids especially diagonally and Arwen braids.

Sure, then you could teach me how to do 4-stand, 5-strand and Arwen braids ;)

zombi
April 19th, 2012, 08:34 AM
My favourite braids are always crown braids, but I can't do them well on myself. For myself I guess dutch french.

PolarCathy
April 19th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Sure, then you could teach me how to do 4-stand, 5-strand and Arwen braids ;)

I didn't say I can do an Arwen braid :cool: ;)

Jessy22284
April 19th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I like the fish tail braid, but it's hard to do on my hair because it's so layered... I'm working on it though.

Ligeia_13
April 20th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Dutch braid, hands down! Its so...powerful.

melusine963
April 20th, 2012, 02:08 PM
My favourite braid to make is a faux french braid. it's quick, easy, and keeps the hair off the back of my neck. My favourite braid look-wise is a dutch one, but I haven't even tried mastering that yet. At the moment I'm still struggling to make a decent french braid, so it might be a while.

Bedhead
April 20th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I'm new to braiding, but I've recently discovered loose, soft braids, so my current favourite is a really loose soft Engish braid stemming from a softly swept hair atop my head. Before this, I had a tendency to make braids severely tight, which made my layers stick out, but with this loose braid, they don't do that. There's something really elegant yet relaxed about it, like a Maxwell House commercial.

Apriori
April 21st, 2012, 11:34 AM
The braid I do the most is a dutch braid. It's easy to do and I like the look.
I also think the 5 strand braid is very pretty :)

afu
April 21st, 2012, 11:45 AM
until i came here i'd always done english and french braids/plaits, after discovering that the dutch braid was basically the same as a french but kinda in reverse i started doing that. I prefer the look of the french on me as it has a softer look to it, the dutch braid has a stronger look - but i also find that it tends to hold more securely. I only normally braid for bed.

If i braid for the daytime it's usually an upside down french braid ending in a bun

Bianca
April 21st, 2012, 12:12 PM
Fishtail and french... Do not master anything complicated i'm afraid :D

Taenarian
April 21st, 2012, 12:14 PM
My original preference was always a French braid, but Dutch is my favorite now. Funny thing is, I learned to braid horse's manes before I learned to braid myself! (That was long time ago.)

Starr
April 21st, 2012, 01:25 PM
Herringbone, french and crown braids.

nobeltonya
April 21st, 2012, 05:04 PM
And recently, I'm obsessing over a Hawser braid [in a low side ponytail]. :D It looks really intricate and woven, but is actually pretty simple and doesn't require a lot of fiddling with the hair [or coordination]. ;) And I just took one out from having it done all day on damp hair, and it made pretty waves/curls. :)

AdaClare
April 27th, 2012, 06:09 AM
I live doing French and Dutch braids. :)

wendylai
April 27th, 2012, 08:43 AM
french braid but my hair is not thick enough for it..

Tisiloves
May 1st, 2012, 09:54 PM
Box braid, I just learned how to French it :D

Cinnamoon
May 1st, 2012, 10:40 PM
Dutch is my go-to braid. I also like four or five strand braids, but they don't look as good at the front.

melbournian
May 2nd, 2012, 05:05 AM
I adore the fishtail braid, but my hair is currently too short to do it. Even doing a french plait (without the braid on the scalp) is a no go unless I do pigtails as my hair is so thick, so right now I can really only wear a French, but I can't wait until the fishtail is a goer for me!

Braidmaid
May 2nd, 2012, 07:50 AM
I love the fishtail braid too, but with my hair it takes a while to do. I always get lots of compliments though, and it is fun to do!

Vanille_
May 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Dutch. I love Dutch braids.

spidermom
May 2nd, 2012, 11:20 AM
My favorite braid varies from day to day. It depends on mood, I guess.

My favorite wave resulting from braiding is from the 2-strand.

racrane
May 2nd, 2012, 11:23 AM
I'm just learning how to do anything more complicated than a french braid, so right now, everything is exciting and new to me. :D But I must say I love the basic braid. Simple and pretty. That won't stop me from learning new styles, though.

Thenolegirl
May 2nd, 2012, 11:52 AM
I love dutch braids =) French braids are also beautiful. I prefer regular french braids when doing them at the back of my head. I prefer dutch when doing accent braids or braid updos so they stick out more against my darker hair. I just can't get the five strand braid the way I like it, though. A new fave of mine is the fishtail braid.

DarkCurls
May 4th, 2012, 03:25 PM
The crown braid. Oh, the crown braid. A dutch crown braid, all around the head... with a couple accent braids to make it perfect. It's just so balanced (... when I do it right), so elegant, so comfortable, so unique. :D I've never seen anyone in a crown braid. (... I suppose it's not a very common hairstyle in any high school, though). It's definitely my favorite.
I also really like Dutch braids, more than the French. And the French Herringbone/Fishtail. My go-to braid is a diagonal dutch braid starting at one side of my hairline, going down and around my head and ending on the opposite shoulder, simply because it makes my arms ache less than doing a crown braid (also, I always get it right on the first try. Which is not always (ever?) the case with a crown braid).

pepperminttea
May 4th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Plain ol' English braid. :) I love the way it looks at the top sometimes, almost like a river delta. And it's one of those styles that I think just gets better and better the longer your hair is.

Amber_Maiden
May 4th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Love the fishtail braid... Hopefully one day I'll learn how to do it.

Seeshami
May 4th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I like the rope braid and four strand.

CurlySasha
May 4th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I absolutely love French braids, but I can't do them on myself yet :( I like plain, easy English braids, especially when I put it to one side :D I also love the fishtail, but it's slightly more difficult and time-consuming on my thick, curly hair! I also really like two-strand rope braids :)

JulietCapulet
May 4th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I'm partial to the fishtail braid. :-)

Bopoluchi
June 6th, 2012, 10:48 PM
i wear my hair in a simple braid most of the time. i like 'french' and fishtail braids but can't do them quick enough for my impatience.

ladylowtide
June 6th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Hmm. I like dutch braids, rope braids, and 4 strand the best.

I can only really do rope, dutch and fishtail though...

Zesty
June 7th, 2012, 11:01 AM
My favorite in terms of wearability and easiness is the dutch braid. I get less sagging than with French or regular English braids and I also like the way they look. But my favorite lately is the four strand box braid. I just like that it's round and looks so interesting from different angles.

Aliped
June 7th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Fish tail braid is my absolute favorite - it's so beautiful! I cannt do it on myself, and have difficulty finding volunters, because it is so time consuming - so I've only ever worn one once!

LadyTheta
June 7th, 2012, 11:32 AM
French braid.

Juanita
June 8th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Dutch braid and lace crown braid. Can only do it when taking hair from on side only. Haven't worked out or more likely I don't have enough thickness to take hair from both sides all the way round. Dutch braid is nice simple and elegant for work.

Demi-Plum
July 9th, 2012, 06:55 AM
I'm fond of different braids for different reasons. For example I love double dutch braids, but only if I'm using them to make a chinese bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIsgDy50Cn0&feature=plcp) or an interlaced updo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M&feature=plcp). I like french or english braids for when I swim, but if I'm just wearing my hair in a french I like to tie it off right after all the hair has been incorporated and leaving the rest to pony and fly. I like 4-strands when I start off with a pony because it makes a thick column like braid which is different than if I just pull it over my shoulder. And I love rope braids for hair taping (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME&feature=plcp)!

Shiranshoku
July 9th, 2012, 07:16 AM
My favorite to-go braid is a french tuck, because it's easy, protects my ends and looks pretty.

My favorite braid look-wise right now is a two-strand twisted crown braid, though I can only manage to do my bangs for myself :) But I'm particularly fond of intricate braiding styles. I loke how people look at those and think 'how did she do that?' :D

ravenheather
July 15th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Right now I only like a dutch braid on myself. I love the look of a herringbone though. I think I'll probably love a plain english braid when my hair is longer. I'd also love to know how to do a crown braid.

~honeyflower~
July 16th, 2012, 10:36 AM
I like to do the cage braid and put in flowers and those small white clips paired with silvery leaf earings.

kitekats
July 16th, 2012, 12:40 PM
The one, that is the most simple to make ;)

Valorie
July 16th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I love the fishtail braid. It's the only one I can create aside from a regular braid, which I like as well (but the fishtail takes me some serious time)!

RiotPrrl
July 16th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I've been practicing doing fishtail braids lately, I really like the look of them!

I also really like french braids. They're excellent for sleeping in and for when I want all my hair out of my face. :D

NoRush
July 16th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Dutch braid :D

domisimone
July 18th, 2012, 07:16 PM
My hair looks good in Dutch braids, but is too short to make a decent English braid. Right now my hair is in a Katniss braid, but the braid barely touches my shoulder. I'm actually growing my hair put so I can dress up as Katniss when Mockingjay 2 comes out.

WilfredAllen
May 27th, 2013, 02:22 AM
rope braid, but my hair is far to layered to accomplish it :(

AnqeIicDemise
May 27th, 2013, 03:03 AM
My favorite's the Dutch Braid. While I enjoy the look of the French braid better, I have bad hands and my hair is thick. I just can't keep the tension going to make it neat and I end up with really loose bottom sections and aching wrists. I hate it.

So I do the Dutch braid instead. It gives me the comfort of the French with a slightly tighter wave and I don't have to worry about the tension so much since I'm holding the woven part against my head instead of my fingertips. It doesn't slip and it stays neat.

Now, the braid I *adore* but I cannot do with any higher frequency, again because of my bad hands, would have to be the herring bone. Specifically, the French herring bone. I do the tied off version sometimes because its easier but.. damn, do my hands cramp frequently and my arms get tired. Even with the 'resting my head over the chair' method my arms get tired.

Another braid I adore but I simply haven't practiced enough is the box braid. It really makes my length look like chain links. ^-^ -- and The Crown braid has been conquered but I have to be in a patient mood, which I hardly ever am.

Sharysa
May 27th, 2013, 04:26 PM
I love French, Dutch, and lace braids, but the standard braid is my favorite for ease since my hair's so thick.

Herringbones are also fantastic, but they just take too long for me to do constantly.

Then there's the box braid, which my hair is unfortunately too thick to look nice in until it grows a few more inches.

I also ADORE crown-braids, but again: Hair is too thick for a proper crown braid. I'll have to wait until waist-length and possibly content myself with a fake crown until then.

Magalo
May 27th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Hey! This thread needed to be revived.

I love 4 strands braids. They always look intricate. Plus they look awesome with ribbons/lace/fabric.

http://babesinhairland.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_6531G.jpg

http://babesinhairland.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_8224-four-strand-braidC.jpg

Sharysa
May 27th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Flat four-strands are also gorgeous, but I can never get them to stay FLAT. I'm thinking of trying it with ribbon/yarn one of these days, though.

emeraldfaery
June 1st, 2013, 08:17 PM
My favorite is the only braid I know how to do. :D The English braid. It works. Could be fancier, but eh.

Hatsumomo
June 6th, 2013, 05:39 PM
I tend to do dutch braids (pigtails pinned into a bun at the nape of my neck) or a four-strand on a weekly basis. Four strands look so pretty (that ribbon photo is lovely), I'm trying to figure out five strands though!

Sandrawoah
August 2nd, 2013, 12:03 AM
I find that dutch braids are easy to do and look pretty. I always have trouble doing french braids :(

Leeloo
August 2nd, 2013, 09:55 PM
I like English and French braids. I would love to learn waterfall one!

xohbihitztix
August 3rd, 2013, 03:14 AM
I LOVE fishtail braids on long hair! I'll be able to experiment more when I get passed APL. Lol.

Arien
August 3rd, 2013, 05:29 AM
French braids! They look tidy and sophisticated and they are so versatile. I do prefer a Dutch braid when braiding along the base of my head from one side to another mind... Think it just looks better. Waterfall Braids are another favourite of mine too :).

sisi33
August 3rd, 2013, 06:04 AM
I like the plain old English braid the best. There are fancier and more sophisticated braids, but the English the one I like the most.

Robot Ninja
August 3rd, 2013, 07:38 AM
For wearing myself, a Dutch braid. For looking at when other people wear them, herringbone braids and rope braids. They always turn out really fuzzy when I try to do them, all those little hairs sticking out. Waterfall braids are also lovely, but I always screw them up.

silver curls
August 10th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Braiding is my kind of thing lately and since there are some many different styles and kinds of braids, which one is your favourite? Maybe you have one favourite because it's easy and another favourite because you like the look.

Recently I learned to make the 5-strand braid and the boxbraid in the french version. And my favourite at the moment is the boxbraid in the french way. Actually, I like all braids more in the french braid version.
My all time favourite is just the plain french braid. Easy and quick to do and it has a nice look :)

I didn't make a poll, since there are too many kinds. Anyway, what about you? :flower:

One single french braid is my favorite! Did it for years. Easy, but my hair isn't quite long enough yet!

FuzzyBlackWaves
August 12th, 2013, 07:08 AM
I don't know what it's technical braid is, but it's that one with the three strands that kids learn to do in primary school, simply because my hair doesn't want to hold anything else and it's an easy style to do in a morning.

jacqueline101
August 12th, 2013, 10:15 AM
I can only english braid.