PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a routine for my boyfriend? 1C/2A?

Medvssa
May 17th, 2008, 10:35 AM
My boyfriend's hair is so different from mine that I would like some advice from fellow longhairs that have this type of hair. That is, I would say ii verging iii (I won't approach him with the tape measure and a grin in my face, poor thing ;) ) M and 1C/2A. There is quite an amount of wave going out, sometimes, but they are very wide and stretched. I may be wrong, there are pictures at the end of the post.

Another thing I should mention is that we live in Belgium, so please have this into account if you are gonna reccomend products, since we may not be able to find them if you live in another country. For example, I have never found clarifying shampoo labeled as such.

So, the deal is that I think his hair has been getting quite rougher and less soft and shiny in the last months. There is quite a halo, he always had it but now I think he has more, a lof of baby hairs going on, or broken hairs.
I hope this is not just the vapours of love being blown away from me :D J/K
In fact, I thought his routine had become a bit gentler so it surprises me.

So, his routine in the past and at the moment:

Shampoo. He washes about twice a week, mostly scalp and letting it wash over the lenght when rinsing. He used to wash a little more often, and all of it, but I recommended to do the above. He has always used Dove shampoo. I cannot tell if it was exactly the same one, currently it is "respect & équilibre/zacht & gezond" (meaning "respect and equilibrium" and "soft and healthy" - who would have said there was such a difference between French and Dutch? :D) This has dimethiconol and protein. He gets a few flakes after washing, for one or two days. Skin flakes.

Conditioner. He used Nivea conditioner in the past, I thoguht it had a cone, but I haven't found any Nivea conditioner with cone today when I looked. For the last year or so, he has been using the conditioner I use for CO, Henna cure & care neutral, which seems quite gentle but has two proteins, it is not very moisturizing. He never applies it to scalp since he says it makes it more flaky.

No leave in, but for the last months he is using a few drops of jojoba on the ends which help dry-combing and give a little softness and shine. He combs his hair every morning.

We detangle in the shower, with conditioner on, and a skeleton brush. Out of the shower, dry or wet, he used a seamed plastic comb. I replaced it with a wooden comb, wide toothed and smooth, about two years ago. He combs very carefully.
He lets it air dry, normally loose, but in a ponytail if it is windy and he has to go out. Sometimes he washes in the evenings, then we put a terrycloth towel over the pillows and he tosses it over them.
His hair is 90% of the time up in a ponytail. The elastic has a metal bit, as I haven't been able to introduce non-metal elastics, he doesn't like them because they get loose easily. Or because they are not... metal enough :rockerdud
He is still careful with these. I don't see any noticeable damage at ponytail lenght, but then, all of his hair has been at ponytail lenght at some point, right?
He wears it loose for bed, and doesn't toss and turn much. I have braided it a few times for bed, and this way it is certainly less tangly in the morning, so it is a possibility. I will have to do this and remind him every night, though.

I trim his hair about twice a year, when the ends get too tangly.

For the last couple of days his hair seems a bit drier to me. On our trip, last week, he has washed twice, and not with his usual shampoo, but with no-cone shampoos.
Today I proposed a treatment and he accepted. I COed the scalp and SMTed the lenght. The hair feels clean, but still dehydrated, if not more :( My hair feels quite more moisturized after CO and SMT. I use a lot of conditioners and leave-ins, though (I really have to). So I wonder, has it been coated by the cone so long it got dehydrated, and now we can see it? or he just needs to go back to Nivea conditioner? (I bought another for him today, "straight and easy liss", no cone or protein) Any other suggestions? Treatments? Please? :cookie:

Oh, and the pics. Last week, in the sun (http://www.innershelter.net/journal/2008/05/pimshair3.jpg). After the "treatment", the canopy (http://www.innershelter.net/journal/2008/05/pimshair2.jpg), and the middle of the lenght (http://www.innershelter.net/journal/2008/05/pimshair1.jpg) (this is quite a big picture)

Thanks in advance :blossom:

florenonite
May 17th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Has he tried CWC? This could help with dryness on the length. I'm sorry I haven't got more to suggest.

soleluna
May 17th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Have you tried camellia oil? I'm in love with it.

Also, he could try to use an organic shampoo, and dilute it.

I have found the perfect routine, and have a similar hair type. it's in my blog ;)
I still need to update it with the camellia love ;)

Medvssa
May 18th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks florenonite and soleluna :)

We have done a coconut oil "treatment" (soaked the hair with water first, then put a lot of coconut oil and a little Nivea conditioner) and now he's gonna CWC. We'll see how this goes...

soleluna, where do you get the camellia oil from? And organic shampoo... you just buy this in a bio shop of sorts?

soleluna
May 18th, 2008, 12:26 PM
soleluna, where do you get the camellia oil from? And organic shampoo... you just buy this in a bio shop of sorts?

I asked a pharmacy in the city center to order it for me!
For organic shampoo.. I get it in an online bio shop or in a regular bio shop. I find it less agressive: went from everyday wash to washing every 3 days!
I use TEA shampoo, or BJOBJ, or The beauty Seed shampoo. I also use organic conditioner, from TEA or Officina Narurae, or bio laundry softener as a conditioner!

Medvssa
May 19th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Have you tried jojoba oil? do you think camellia agrees more with your hair than jojoba?
I will have a look in our local bio shop :) I don't remember seeing any of those brands, but I might have overlooked. Their selection of conditioners is very poor though. I'll have to look at their fabric softeners :D I don't use, so I never paid any attention...

In case anyone is interested, the treatment with coconut oil and later CWC with no-cone shampoo and nivea conditioner worked very well :D his hair is softer than it has been in months.

soleluna
May 19th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Have you tried jojoba oil? do you think camellia agrees more with your hair than jojoba?
I will have a look in our local bio shop :) I don't remember seeing any of those brands, but I might have overlooked. Their selection of conditioners is very poor though. I'll have to look at their fabric softeners :D I don't use, so I never paid any attention...

In case anyone is interested, the treatment with coconut oil and later CWC with no-cone shampoo and nivea conditioner worked very well :D his hair is softer than it has been in months.

I like camellia better than jojoba. Because camellia makes my hair soft in a way jojoba doesn't. I must be careful not to over apply: two drops are all it takes! (and that's a plus.. less money to spend)

The fabric softner I use has the following composition
bis(acyloxyethyl) hidroxyethyl methylammonium methosulfate which is esterquat
parfum (hxyl cinnamal alpha-isomethyl ionone)
citric acid

It really detangles. It leaves my hair so soft and shiny! I leave it on for 10 minutes, and then comb. Then I rinse.
It doesn't nourish much on its own, but I add a drop of oil to it if I feel like it (not in the bottle: in my hand), or I use camellia oil afterwards. I also use it when I wash after deep oiling. If my hair needs more nourishment I stick to bio conditioner.
Many people on the italian forum find the laundry softner very good for the hair. Most of us love it.

boukje
May 19th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Hello Medyssa

I saw you live in Belgium (I live in the Netherlands) and I have bought organic (avalon) shampoo at 'De tuinen' which is called 'Essenza' (?) in Belgium (I think I read that some where else).

I didn't like the shampoo at all, it made my hair (1a/1b) too greasy.

I don't know if there is a lot of difference between 1a/1b and 1c/2a but I like to use lush shampoo bars (there are shops in Belgium too I think, at least one in antwerp and you can order online).

I have the squeeky green which is (same as the avalon organic shampoo) sls free.

Good luck with finding a routine. :)

Riot Crrl
May 19th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I think you might be onto something with your theory about cones coating the length. I did that myself for many years, and it seemed like no deep conditioner could get into my hair. They all just slid off and didn't do anything.

If that's the case it's going to have to get worse before it gets better I'm afraid. It's got to be clarified with sulfate shampoo, and not just doing the scalp and letting runoff take care of the length. I had to actually suds and agitate the whole length. The immediate result was not pleasant at all, but that is what allowed my hair to start accepting moisture. Before I washed the years of cones off, it just refused to drink anything.

k_hepburn
May 19th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I need to go to bed. I just read the thread title as "Help find me a boyfriend" and thought that was an oddly personal request, even for a community as close as LHC!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nighty night!

katharine

kwaniesiam
May 19th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Since you mentioned not being able to find clarifying shampoo, maybe try a baking soda wash to help clarify from the cones in the Dove, and once rinsed follow up with a diluted ACV rinse and apply oil to the length?

Medvssa
May 20th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Hehee, k_hepburn

Thank you everyone. I have passed all the suggestions on to my BF and we are working on it :) I'll update with results in a few days