PDA

View Full Version : Decorative Sock Buns (Photos)

LouLaLa
July 31st, 2010, 10:38 AM
Hi guys!

In the spirit of the weekend and because the UK is very drizzly I decided to do some fancy sock buns. As requested by Bluegrass Babe ive also thrown in some vintage pins just for fun.

The flower 'do could be seen as a little off the wall but its just abit of fun.

ps Im having a bad hair day and when I made these styles and photographed them I could have cried as it just feels like my hair has given up on me today so sorry if they look a little lacklustre, if I werent growing it I could have happily tore it out today!

When I have time I will so a utterly smooth perfectly tensioned updo.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/LouLaLa_2010/WebCam_20100731_17132-1.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/LouLaLa_2010/WebCam_20100731_16591.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/LouLaLa_2010/WebCam_20100731_17125-1.jpg

Cinnamoon
July 31st, 2010, 10:40 AM
Gorgeous! I love that huge flower! It's so bright. Perfect for a rainy day! And your hair is not lacklustre - it's shiny, beautiful, and looks so healthy!

LouLaLa
July 31st, 2010, 11:26 AM
Ok here are some more. I have quite a few more variations but photobucket is driving me round the bend also Im trying to get photos on a webcam and its hard!

Double with peacock feathers (Modern Regency)
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/LouLaLa_2010/WebCam_20100731_18033-1-1.jpg

Double buns of different sizes with a feather fascinator
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/LouLaLa_2010/WebCam_20100731_1801-1-2.jpg
xxx

Cinnamoon you are very nice :)

INSTRUCTIONS
This really is just a simple sock bun the tutorial for which can be found in the articles. I have merely adapted the basic concept to incorporate a more funky element. Its mainly just hair toys or vintage jewelry. These designs could be modified for proms or everyday wear.

I just like the idea that hair is fun and can be enjoyed in ways that dont damage it (ie no heat or dye). I also love a bit of glamour everyday and what could be simpler than a sock bun with what is essentially a barette or a decorative scrunchy!
ps If people enjoy these let me know and ill do more if anyone would like to see them, if they're crazy, the cheese will stand alone making mad hair art :p :cheese:

Oh and here are the pins incase anyone wants a closer look:
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/LouLaLa_2010/WebCam_20100731_19502-1-3-2.jpg http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/LouLaLa_2010/WebCam_20100731_19502-1-3-1.jpg http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/LouLaLa_2010/WebCam_20100731_19502-1-2.jpg http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/LouLaLa_2010/WebCam_20100731_19502-1-1.jpg

Henrietta
July 31st, 2010, 12:33 PM
Thank you for an inspiration! I love this little shiny pin...:) And the bun itself looks so secure... Mine tends to fall down:(

Bluegrass Babe
July 31st, 2010, 01:22 PM
LouLaLa -
Thanks for the pics. Lackluster?! Heck no! Those look fantastic!
I especially like that pin! I'm a sucker for sparklies, which is strange considering I'm strictly the jeans and sweatpants type. Your pins are lovely. Do you notice their weight when you wear them?

The feathers look exotic and vintage. Reminds me of some fancy vintage photos some had in their siggy...? I really like the white feathers on top.

I noticed in the hair accessories aisle at the store recently there were several flowers of all different colors on pony elastics, barrettes, and headbands. There were also lots of sparklies on huge barrettes, mini jaw clips, and pins. I may go back for the yellow flower jeweled barrette and some multi-colored jeweled mini clips... You have officially become an enabler!

P.S.
It was a little drizzly over here this morning, too. When I go out this afternoon it I will have a transparent, spider-webby little afro around my head thanks to resulting humidity. It takes the sheen right out of my updo!

haibane
July 31st, 2010, 02:13 PM
So pretty! :) I really like the little pin with the green leaves.

LouLaLa
July 31st, 2010, 03:56 PM
LouLaLa -
Thanks for the pics. Lackluster?! Heck no! Those look fantastic!
I especially like that pin! I'm a sucker for sparklies, which is strange considering I'm strictly the jeans and sweatpants type. Your pins are lovely. Do you notice their weight when you wear them?

The feathers look exotic and vintage. Reminds me of some fancy vintage photos some had in their siggy...? I really like the white feathers on top.

I noticed in the hair accessories aisle at the store recently there were several flowers of all different colors on pony elastics, barrettes, and headbands. There were also lots of sparklies on huge barrettes, mini jaw clips, and pins. I may go back for the yellow flower jeweled barrette and some multi-colored jeweled mini clips... You have officially become an enabler!

P.S.
It was a little drizzly over here this morning, too. When I go out this afternoon it I will have a transparent, spider-webby little afro around my head thanks to resulting humidity. It takes the sheen right out of my updo!

They didnt add much weight but I do have fine hair so I dont have alot of tension on my scalp anyway. I like to pin them onto the sock so that im not damaging the hair, it makes a good pin cushion :p

Im glad to be an enabler! :D I had on lots of glittery vintage jewlery today and my mother asked if I secretly wish to be Joan Collins! I love the drama hair ornaments can add to any outfit. I hope to dream up some really exoctic hair tomorrow to try out- I got a book of vintage Dior patterns im sure ill think of something :)

Looking back the peacock feathers surprised me as I really like that 'do. Not really for getting the groceries in (!) but sometimes its fun to be a little bit of a diva, good luck Bluegrass Babe I can just imagine how utterly fabulous this will turn out in your lovely hair!

*Aoife*
July 31st, 2010, 03:59 PM
What are the sparklies? Are they actual hair toys? I've never seen anything like them. They're soooo pretty!

And your buns look awsome too :)

Edit: I reread my post. That sentence would get me into trouble on any site but LHC :p

LouLaLa
July 31st, 2010, 04:05 PM
What are the sparklies? Are they actual hair toys? I've never seen anything like them. They're soooo pretty!

And your buns look awsome too :)

Edit: I reread my post. That sentence would get me into trouble on any site but LHC :p

Haha love it! LHC has such a rich lexicon!

To answer your question they are just old broaches that are usally pinned on scarves or coats. Sometimes I also use broken jewlery and make my own hair sticks or glue the gems onto plastic slides to put in my hair. People dont do it so much these days but in the past it wasnt uncommon to have hair jewelry and I like to try new things out just to see the mad looks I get :p. It keeps me away from heat stylers and dye anyway.

Hope you give it a go! I would love to create an army of hair divas :p

xxx

Bluegrass Babe
July 31st, 2010, 05:57 PM
That's a brilliant idea! Pin it to the bun! Now I will have to actually go to the jewelry section and look at the trinkets there! I have been using my barrettes as add on decoration instead of actually supporting any hair. They are just too heavy, or the weight of my hair makes them yank scalp hair.

ETA: Ok, just a word of warning - If you use pins with clasps in them, please make sure you are not alone when you put them in or take them out!! I will have to think of way to cover that thing up!

Capybara
July 31st, 2010, 08:56 PM
Those are beautiful sock buns! Don't look lackluster to me at all :)

I really like the pins, too. Great idea!

*Aoife*
August 1st, 2010, 02:16 PM
Haha love it! LHC has such a rich lexicon!

To answer your question they are just old broaches that are usally pinned on scarves or coats. Sometimes I also use broken jewlery and make my own hair sticks or glue the gems onto plastic slides to put in my hair. People dont do it so much these days but in the past it wasnt uncommon to have hair jewelry and I like to try new things out just to see the mad looks I get :p. It keeps me away from heat stylers and dye anyway.

xxx

I love broaches! I don't own enough to satisfy me.

I like it! Another excuse to buy more broaches :p

SarahBeth
August 12th, 2010, 08:00 AM
very pretty

Aerith
August 12th, 2010, 09:12 AM
WOW! These are so nice. I especially like the style in first and third pic. :) I really want to learn how to do a sock bun properly but I'm having a bit of trouble finding a good sock for the length of my hair. Anyway, these looks great!

Maddy25
August 12th, 2010, 10:02 AM
how lovely! Thats a great way to dress up the sock bun :)

Jenw777
August 12th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Those look so cool!

LittleRainbow
August 12th, 2010, 11:35 AM
xxx
Oh. All my friends already call me a hair-diva soo I'm with you on this one :D Just got to learn how to brade, and bun, and buy some hair-toys... :cool:

LouLaLa
August 12th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Oh. All my friends already call me a hair-diva soo I'm with you on this one :D Just got to learn how to brade, and bun, and buy some hair-toys... :cool:

I love it youre my kindred spirit! I think there should be more wild, crazy, outright diva hair in the word :p

I may do a Grace Kelly look soon :)

LittleRainbow
August 18th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I love it youre my kindred spirit! I think there should be more wild, crazy, outright diva hair in the word :p (...)

Yeey, Definitely!! Just sitting here with my first sock bun, wondering, where did you put all that extra hair? :eye:

Chiara
August 18th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I like to pin them onto the sock
That's so clever!

Oh, and I think your hair looks great, not lacklustre at all.

LouLaLa
August 19th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Yeey, Definitely!! Just sitting here with my first sock bun, wondering, where did you put all that extra hair? :eye:

have you seen Loepsie's video?

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Loepsie#p/u/24/I13J7ArHTkM

I just follow that method and roll roll roll!

Oh and here are some tips I wrote on Henrietta's wall that might help you too (she said they work for long hair) :)

SOCK BUN TROUBLESHOOTING 101

* Use hoisery as the "sock" as it will be very light weight and the static of the lycra should grab your hair better as well as being much lighter to hold
* When rolling, you say youve rolled as much as you can, have you been rolling and pulling tight then rolling again at about 1/4 of the way though the rolling process? (I find this vital to get a tight bun)
* I would use a bobby pin after you have fully rolled to pin the bun into place.
* Try doing your hair in a high pony tail so that when the bun "drops" it dosent really matter too much!
*Make sure the pony tail from which you are working from is very flat, tight without hurting and sleek- if the foundation is wrong the bun wont work.
* Use a very fine hair elastic thats very fine to pull in all the slack hair after youve rolled the bun- I find this really useful when my hair isnt co-operating!)
* When trying to hide the colour of the sock and get hair all round the bun, dont use fingers to move it, use the palm of your hand and keep smoothing it with the palm, it works pretty well (this is how I get heaps of hair into a liittle bun).
* Spritz hair with a little water or some sort of hair mist before you begin so that the hair "grabs" at the material more.

Thats all I can think of for now :pinktongue: I hope at least one helps!"

(I just copied this post from when I origionally did it so ignore anything that dosent apply :)

Thankyou for everyone being so kind :) Some days I just HATE my hair (You know when its actually not that bad but inside you just feel utterly blahh!) and the sock bun cheers me up as it looks super fancy.

Actually I think Im a little bit addicted :p as I noticed Charlotte had one in an episode of Sex and the City and so did Rory in a Gilmore Girls.

Im really proud of everyone here as Ive seen some sock buns on this site that would blow these "professional" do's out the water, so GO TEAM!

LittleRainbow
September 4th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Lots of good tips there! Thank you :flower:

Siava
September 4th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Love this thread! :heartbeat

akrasia
September 4th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Since I joined here in July with a new resolution to wear my hair up and take better care of it, I have worn the mighty SOCK BUN every single time I go out. Either a low one or a super high J-Lo one. I've got fine hair, so my natural bun is just a sad little lump--sock bun gives a ton of volume. It's so great!

Peggy E.
September 4th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I love, Love, LOVE the one with the peacock feathers! Looks like something straight out of "Hello Dolly!" Could see Babs shaking it up with those feathers in her hair - making sure the Parade didn't "Pass Her By!"

I've got a bunch of sparkling pins and have used them periodically in my hair. You have to be very careful that your hair doesn't catch on the pin's latch. Some are more "hair friendly" than others, but they aren't really aimed for hair accessories, so they're not designed to function smoothly as hair decorations.

Pinning them to the sock is a great idea, though. I usually anchor them to whatever it is I have underlying holding up the hair.

Thanks for sharing these lovely pics. And I concur with everyone else: Your hair looks great! What is it that you find so troublesome?

LouLaLa
September 4th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks for sharing these lovely pics. And I concur with everyone else: Your hair looks great! What is it that you find so troublesome?

Im glad you enjoyed the post :) I think I justgo through phases with my hair, I gave up dye and my hair just felt messy for along time and as if nothing would go right with it :p So I got really into updo's which made my hair look better during the awful growing out period.

I LOVE Hello Dolly :D You really shoudlnt tempt me to flounce about my town singing, because ill probably end up doing it ;)

Thankyou everyone who has enjoyed the post! Its really nice to see people enjoy them! Im glad the tips helped some of you too, its always good to add another string to your bow.

Im learing waterfall braids right now- I really need a youtube channel or something to do crazy hair on- it would get like three hits ;)

I was in the bank today and some guys comented on my elaborate hair, I think they thought id ran out of the regency period and straight into 2010 Santander :p I did this... http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/11/06/pin-roll-bun-2-curly-bun/