PDA

View Full Version : Back again after some years/HELP

April1
July 31st, 2010, 06:03 AM
Hi all...I havent been here for a very long time...my hair isnt much longer, and right now is in desparate need of some help thanks to the occational use of heat styling....this amount of heat would normally be ok and fixable, but as i have a rare hair condition called 'pilli torti' (extremely fragile hair, that first grows out with a little squiggle-imagine that all over your head as hair grows at diff lengths, it looks very damaged)....so the smallest amount of heat affects me badly:( Im in a constant battle to grow my hair and think that coz of what ive done/what i have/and a lack of regular trims, im going to have to start again....noooooooo. Anyway if someone could point me in the right direction...i know that i need moisture for my hair, but at the mo it feels very very soft...too soft, almost fluff like...which is how the length actually looks, and was wondering if it was because of using a conditioner with protein in it...i will put up some picks soon for all to see my disasterous head of hair:(...also im going through an extreme re growth phase, which also seems rather too soft as well??? Thanks so much for any help, and good to be back:)

Flaxen
July 31st, 2010, 03:18 PM
Welcome back. :grin:

If anything, too much protein makes hair brittle and stiff, so I don't think the softness is due to excess protein. Also, if you're not using a conditioner labeled a "reconstructor" or something like that, there's probably not tons of protein in it.

It makes sense to me that fragile hair would want a product with some protein in it. You might also try lightly (or heavily, if you want to) oiling with coconut oil before washing. I wouldn't do too many things to your hair, though. I think a very simple routine is going to be best.

LadyLately
July 31st, 2010, 03:21 PM
Maybe CO might help with the fluff? I know it's made my hair seem...heavier and more substantial, though not flat.

evampr18
July 31st, 2010, 03:25 PM
Welcome back :) Maybe this will help, maybe not, but for me it works. I use Aussie 3 minute miracle on my hair or a Loreal treatment and my hair feels extremely soft afterward.

klcqtee
July 31st, 2010, 05:50 PM
I was reading an article (on here I believe, but I'm not sure what it was), about hair. It said (I believe) that if your hair doesn't have enough protein, it would feel sort of mushy. Hopefully someone else will be able to verify this. I tried looking for the article, but couldn't find it. However, I did find some articles that might help you out:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

April1
August 1st, 2010, 05:54 AM
Thanks everyone. I think i will have to start doing cwc again, it did help a bit before. The shedding and new growth i think is due to stress, ive had a lot in the last year. I think though what may be best is to start having little but regular trims again...but can sometimes be hard finding a hairdresser to restrain herself lol, and the main reason i only get trims every 3 months is because my trusted hairdresser/trychologist lives so far away x.

ktani
August 1st, 2010, 07:24 AM
There are no specific treatments or products recommended for the condition, http://www.hairdiseases.com/natural-hair-care-product/hair-disorders.shtml. I agree with Flaxen, that the simplest approach is best in terms of a hair care routine and the number of products used.

x0h_bother
August 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM
Because of an understandable lack of trims, I might try S&Ding to keep the ends nice. Also I second the CWC suggestion. As for heat styling, I understand the need...it's so bad but so good.

kimki
August 1st, 2010, 11:04 AM
Welcome back. :waving: Only advice I can offer is being as gentle as possible and doing as little as possible. Good luck. :flower: