PDA

View Full Version : Sacrificing Length Now For Health Later

mirth-matter
July 31st, 2010, 01:04 AM
*sigh* After about a year of "informal" growing and only getting tiny trims, the ends of my hair were getting gross. My hair loves moisture, and the ends had been so badly neglected they were dry and crunchy beyond repair. So, last night I cut an inch off using Feye's trimming technique. Combined with a coconut oil treatment, my hair feels better than it has in a looooong time. The only thing is, I miss that one inch. :( Having curly hair, taking that inch off seems to have made my hair just light enough to be poofy.

Anyone else gone through this lately? I feel like I need some sort of support group. :p

UltraBella
July 31st, 2010, 01:19 AM
Sorry to hear you are missing that inch, but it will grow back in no time ! In the mean time, enjoy the new healthy ends and rejoice in how nice they feel.
I just trimmed two inches off and I can't really tell any difference, so I don't miss them. Perhaps if my hair was curly instead of just wavy it would impact me more. I have had stress over trims in the past though, so I do understand the feeling.
Good luck to you and congrats on trimming it yourself, there is no way I could manage that !

mirth-matter
July 31st, 2010, 01:21 AM
Thank you for the encouraging words. :)

And it was less a trim and more a "grab and cut with my new sewing scissors (right out of the package, since I don't have proper hair shears yet) before I could change my mind." XD

WyrdWay
July 31st, 2010, 01:33 AM
I did this same thing last week! For some reason the hair in the middle back of my head is breaking off and growing in a W because of this. I did the U trim and changed to only holding my updos with pins, clips, or sticks/forks. I'm not sure whats breaking my hair there but I am losing progress because of it, so I figured it was worth it in the long run.

LILBERT
July 31st, 2010, 03:40 AM
I would love to join the support club! my hair would be past BSL right now if i hadnt done all my trims, and its annoying but i dont regret it. im growing out layers, the layers are damaged and need trimming but im waiting untill they catch up with the length so i can trim them all one length if that makes sense. :rolleyes: Mean while all the ends im actually trimming are perfectly healthy and i dont need to cut really. But i consider it a necessary sacrifice in order to grow out my hair healthy as i cant just keep growing damage that will start breaking off. :o I understand your frustration! be proud of yourself!

akrasia
July 31st, 2010, 03:46 AM
Oh most definitely I feel your pain. I'd been neglecting my hair and I got so fed up with the gross ends I got about three inches cut off a couple of weeks ago. That's half a year of growth!

LouLaLa
July 31st, 2010, 08:18 AM
Sometimes is just has to be done.

I had overprocessing on my ends and they were sooooo dry and unmanageable so they just had to go if I was ever going to grow my hair virgina dnstrong again. It was just encouraging me into bad habbits like thinkind "if only i could just straighten them out" which would have been disasterous.Plus when I ran my brush through my hair you could hear which parts were or were not damaged.

Its grown out now so dont fret youll get there and its worth it sometimes to save the rest of the hair.

Look on it as loosing a battle to save the war :)