PDA

View Full Version : Scarfing and forgetting!

JenniferNoel
July 30th, 2010, 03:19 PM
30 Day Challenge!
So, I'm not a real braid or bun person now, but I love head scarfs and own plenty of them, nice and silky, so I'm going to make a commitment of wearing them all the time except for events with friends every week, but different ones every day and whatnot. I have a black silky one as a base, that I sleep in and stuff, and I put the colored ones on top of that if that makes sense to you. It's more comfortable.
I'm probably going to keep it lose under the scarves until it gets at least below APL and then start braiding it loosely to keep it from tangling under the silky one.

*Aoife*
July 30th, 2010, 05:49 PM
That's really cool sounding. I love scarves but don't own that many

Gumball
July 30th, 2010, 05:51 PM
That sounds like a good plan. I like the idea of having a silk scarf to sleep in, since silk is so hair friendly. Maybe one day I'll have to go find and invest in one.

christine1989
July 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Thats a good idea! I do a similar thing during the summer except with berets. I have a ton and wear them to protect my hair from the sun.

klcqtee
July 30th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I use a head scarf when I ski. My sister gave me a hard time about it, but it was great for my hair though!

italianamama
July 30th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I LOVE this! I actually just bought some Israeli style tichels :D I'm hoping regular use will help prevent some of the nasty shedding and breakage I've been experiencing lately. Freaking hypothyroidism is KILLING my poor strands :( Scarves also help remind me to keep my hands OUT of my hair! I've got a bad habit of hair pulling/twisting. It's a self soothing thing, kind of like sucking your thumb.

Anyway, I'd like to see some pictures! I'll post some as soon as I get my tichels in the mail.

Heartwillfollow
July 30th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I love my snoods on high wind days.. I have a velvet head band that grips the snood and keeps it from shifting around even in the extreme wind gust we get off the mountains. I have some scarves to.. Are we looking for a 30 day challenge ?

JenniferNoel
July 30th, 2010, 07:29 PM
30 day challenge it is! Good luck everyone. :p

Heartwillfollow
July 30th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Excellent I'm in :)

Copasetic
July 30th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I wear head scarfs all the time during the school year. I love them. They look great, and require little to no effort :)

apynip
July 30th, 2010, 10:10 PM
mm i may be in also. I have a nice assortment of scarves all are silk but its not the silky saitin silk. its 100% vintage italian silk. its a lil rough but softer than most cottons.

my2cats1
July 31st, 2010, 12:21 PM
How do you wear your scarves? Anybody up for posting photos?

JenniferNoel
July 31st, 2010, 12:27 PM
'Scuse the posing. :o
ETA - Picture removed for privacy concerns. Sorry y'all.
Tied in a bow in the back, and the black one underneath is tied around said bow in a knot. Okay, okay, that made little sense, but it's fun to experiment with.

Heartwillfollow
July 31st, 2010, 02:32 PM
Jennifer I like the pattern texture on that one. :)

thank you for bringing it to my awareness for the material of a scarf,, I have mostly cotton because I found them pretty, 2 velvet , by accident 2 silk.. I can see silk would be a better choice to have the protection for the hair so looks like someone is going shopping lol ..

day 1.. am wearing my chestnut color velvet snood.. They so comfortable :) good timing because I am trying to break , an over washing my hair habit. My personal challenge is wash every 6th day..

csm--carla
July 31st, 2010, 02:47 PM
I am going to be camping in Europe for the next couple of months and would like to use scarves to minimize my hair fussing.

Could you please advise me about how to keep the scarf in place and avoid it sliding off your head? All other tips and advice very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Carla

Heartwillfollow
July 31st, 2010, 03:29 PM
I am going to be camping in Europe for the next couple of months and would like to use scarves to minimize my hair fussing.

Could you please advise me about how to keep the scarf in place and avoid it sliding off your head? All other tips and advice very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Carla

Hi Carla I am very new to everything so just learning :) I have velvet head bands and they seem to grip the head covering material and my hair gently and hold everything in place. I have extreme high wind gust coming off the mountain and the velvet head bands have kept my snoods tightly in place.

your camping trip sounds wonderful, have a great time.

Kaihino
July 31st, 2010, 06:46 PM
I often wear scarves or bandannas as a way to extend the times between washings. My scalp gets greasy and icky long before my length, so I am still "presentable" if I cover the dirty part and let the clean part hang! To keep them securely on, I use either a couple of bobby pins, or a couple of those triangular snappy barettes on either side of the front of the scarf, by my ears.

spidermom
July 31st, 2010, 06:47 PM
Have you tried putting on the scarf and then braiding the ends into your hair? That's a pretty look.

JenniferNoel
July 31st, 2010, 07:52 PM
I generally use a couple bobby pins/hair pins, they do the trick to keep it secure. One on each side, wherever is most comfortable. I usually don't have issues though, as I wear them pretty low on my forehead, just above my glasses, and tie them pretty tight. :)

In2wishin
July 31st, 2010, 09:39 PM
I LOVE this! I actually just bought some Israeli style tichels :D I'm hoping regular use will help prevent some of the nasty shedding and breakage I've been experiencing lately. Freaking hypothyroidism is KILLING my poor strands :( Scarves also help remind me to keep my hands OUT of my hair! I've got a bad habit of hair pulling/twisting. It's a self soothing thing, kind of like sucking your thumb.

Anyway, I'd like to see some pictures! I'll post some as soon as I get my tichels in the mail.

Where did you buy the tichels? I am thinking of getting a couple.

kabelaced
July 31st, 2010, 10:11 PM
I have a satiny sleep cap, but I don't wear that outside, because it just looks like I'm a pirate or something, haha.

Wish I could pull it off like you do, JenniferNoel - that picture is stunning!! :love:

MonaMayfair
August 1st, 2010, 03:07 AM
Jennifer, just wanted to agree with Kabelaced - you look totally cool in that scarf!
I think I might experiment, I do have lots of scarves (not to mention enough hats to start my own hat shop!)

akrasia
August 1st, 2010, 03:15 AM
Jennifer, you absolutely rock that scarf.

I've tried a scarf now and then. In Portland a lot of my African-American co-workers would wear a headscarf every now and then. Paired with some big earrings it's an elegant, summery look.

Where I live now (on the border of Lancashire and Yorkshire), it's a look that a lot of Muslim women have--a headscarf with subtle bling like a sparkly clip or something.

You've inspired me--I'm going to a party tonight and I'm going to try wearing a red headscarf with some bling.

JenniferNoel
August 1st, 2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks, y'all! :flower:
Today I think I'll sport my famous blue/black tie dye scarf.
Stay tuned for pictures, it's my favorite one.
A really cool look I used to do all the time was leave the ends lose and flowing, it's great for beaches.

kimki
August 1st, 2010, 11:06 AM
I think it's a great idea. I wear a scarf, hat or a wig loads as I am growing my hair back from bald. I've decided to try and cover it up completely for a few months to try and stop obsessing. I wear scarves the most because they are light, pretty and don't itch as much as a wig!

CrisDee
August 1st, 2010, 11:10 AM
Any suggestions where I can pick up some of these cheap? I'd love to add a splash of floral to my plain, drab law office attire, but don't have the funds for anything pricey.

Heartwillfollow
August 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM
CrisDee I often think of taking one of my pre maid scarves for the measurements and making my own from buying discount fabrics, there is always sales on fabric that has been cut or from the end of the bolt. Always a nice selection of different material and good prices.

today am wearing my larger triangle cut scarf for the first time. Its deep chocolate with a butterfly shimmer print to it. As soo as I find my memory card for my camera I can get some pictures too.

renarok
August 1st, 2010, 01:28 PM
OMG!!! I have to confess I really misread this thread title. I must be twisted, my first thought was someone was confessing an over eating binge then passing out and having some memory loss.....WTH... this is a hair thread dummy.

I love all the scarf ideas BTW:o

ghost
August 1st, 2010, 01:37 PM
renarok -you're not the only one whose thoughts took them to strange places, I thought the same thing! I guess it's just a *little* out of context...

For myself, I prefer to get the long, rectangular, lightweight scarves, and drape them over my head and around my shoulders, Grace Kelly-style. If I add big sunglasses and dark lipstick, not only to I get to protect my hair (or hide the fact that I missed a wash day) but I get to be "mysterious," in theory anyway.

JenniferNoel
August 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM
renarok -you're not the only one whose thoughts took them to strange places, I thought the same thing! I guess it's just a *little* out of context...

For myself, I prefer to get the long, rectangular, lightweight scarves, and drape them over my head and around my shoulders, Grace Kelly-style. If I add big sunglasses and dark lipstick, not only to I get to protect my hair (or hide the fact that I missed a wash day) but I get to be "mysterious," in theory anyway.

Glad I'm not the only one! I wear a black tasseled one the same way, paired with huge round glasses and black lipstick under a top hat. It's a gorgeous look.

ETA - If I make it so only the black string tassel-like things stick out from under the hat, it kinda looks like a fake bob or something. I'll have to take pictures of that, it's hard to explain. I wore that to a convention once. I love experimenting with different looks that way.

Cleopatra18
August 1st, 2010, 02:24 PM
Count me in,i cover my hair when im out either way and wearing a scarf before bed helps my hair alot too.
btw jennifer,you look stunning with that scarf.

italianamama
August 1st, 2010, 03:37 PM
Where did you buy the tichels? I am thinking of getting a couple.

I bought them from Cover Your Hair dot com. They're plain black tichels to match my hair; I figure if I match I can wear them out to run errands and not attract too much attention :D

I bought these ones specifically: http://www.coveryourhair.com/israeli-tichels/solid-cotton-tichel.html

Mel
August 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
I have been wearing scarves just about everyday for close to three months. I'm especially loving them right now because about a month ago I chopped all my damaged hair off and hate how I look with short hair :o

I just wanted to add for the people looking to buy tichels: all a standard tichel is is a 36 inch square piece of fabric. It is very easy to make your own and much cheaper as well. Just cut your fabric and fold over the raw edges, then sew a straight stitch. If you use a soft jersey knit you don't even need to sew it because that type of fabric doesn't really fray.
A simple way to tie these is to fold them in half like a triangle, place it over your head so the long part is in back and the two tails are on the sides. Tie the tails at the nape of your neck. Now tuck the long triangle part underneath the part you just tied. Now you have a sort of loose bun. Next take the tails that you tied and tie them on top of the loose bun to make it tighter. Then just tuck the remaining tails in. I hope that made sense. It's a cute and easy style. If you're more of a visual person there are videos on youtube that show you how to do it. Just search for "how to tie a tichel."

italianamama
August 2nd, 2010, 10:55 AM
If you use a soft jersey knit you don't even need to sew it because that type of fabric doesn't really fray.

Awesome ^ ! Because I do not sew. I mend and patch, but sewing is on my list of homemaking skills to learn. (I asked my mother the other day why she taught me so much, but didn't teach me how to sew. She told me that I was a hyper kind of kid (read:destructive) and we didn't have enough $$ to replace her sewing machine or parts of it if I happened to break it. She sewed all our clothes for a very long time.)

As far as tichel tying goes, the most comprehensive list of picture and written instructions I've found is here: http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl

I could have never figured out most of these styles on my own!!!

Stephichan
August 2nd, 2010, 11:29 AM
I love this, it's such a great idea, especially for those of us whose hair may be too short for anything. If I had more scarves or hats I might join in. Maybe someday...

Best of luck to everyone doing this ^_^

myotislucifugus
August 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
I probably won't join, but I totally did this two summers ago when my hair was shorter. The scarves are a great idea...Keeps your hair safe, and looks so pretty. I realize depending on where you are there can be different social connotations to such context, but I loved covering my hair. Well, until I took it down, and saw how matted to my scalp the oil had made my hair...

If anyone has issues with scarf slippage, try putting on a soft headband first, it helps give it friction...

kimki
August 2nd, 2010, 03:47 PM
I have been wearing scarves just about everyday for close to three months. I'm especially loving them right now because about a month ago I chopped all my damaged hair off and hate how I look with short hair :o

I just wanted to add for the people looking to buy tichels: all a standard tichel is is a 36 inch square piece of fabric. It is very easy to make your own and much cheaper as well. Just cut your fabric and fold over the raw edges, then sew a straight stitch. If you use a soft jersey knit you don't even need to sew it because that type of fabric doesn't really fray.
A simple way to tie these is to fold them in half like a triangle, place it over your head so the long part is in back and the two tails are on the sides. Tie the tails at the nape of your neck. Now tuck the long triangle part underneath the part you just tied. Now you have a sort of loose bun. Next take the tails that you tied and tie them on top of the loose bun to make it tighter. Then just tuck the remaining tails in. I hope that made sense. It's a cute and easy style. If you're more of a visual person there are videos on youtube that show you how to do it. Just search for "how to tie a tichel."

This is how I feel, I don't like how I look with short hair. I plan to cover my hair for as long as I can. :)

Calaelen
August 2nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
I am definitely in. I started doing this last week, after reading the Pagan Hair Covering thread, and was planning to do it for 6 months to see if I found a difference, so I will join the 30 day challenge and get some pics soon. I just bought several beautiful scarves for this purpose :)

Mel
August 2nd, 2010, 05:07 PM
Awesome ^ ! Because I do not sew. I mend and patch, but sewing is on my list of homemaking skills to learn. (I asked my mother the other day why she taught me so much, but didn't teach me how to sew. She told me that I was a hyper kind of kid (read:destructive) and we didn't have enough $$ to replace her sewing machine or parts of it if I happened to break it. She sewed all our clothes for a very long time.)

As far as tichel tying goes, the most comprehensive list of picture and written instructions I've found is here: http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl

That made my day! I was the exact same way as a child and my Grandma (she raised me) used to get so frustrated. I finally decided to learn to sew because I became obsessed with quilts and HAD to learn to make them!

LaurenH
August 2nd, 2010, 05:17 PM
This is a great video that shows various ways to tie scarves...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Cun1aJg-Y&feature=player_embedded

I do the "bun" one all the time :D

JenniferNoel
August 2nd, 2010, 05:46 PM
LaurenH - Thanks for sharing!
Good luck to everyone in the challenge, don't forget the many styles and colors/patterns/etc that come with scarfing. It's hard to get bored.

apynip
August 2nd, 2010, 05:46 PM
I throw my hair in a tiny loop bun and tie the scarf around it so it looks like i have a larger bun.

I have a tichel I got it from a vintage clothing store. its a really pretty magenta with black floral and some houndstooth pattern on it. I currently cant find it though... :(

ghost
August 2nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
JenniferNoel -I have to see your tasseled scarf 'bob' now, it sounds cute! Kind of Edward Gorey-ish.

JenniferNoel
August 2nd, 2010, 08:41 PM
I love Edward Gorey. :D This is the variation with only the tassels out.
Sorry, sad puppy face, tried to get the hair to hide it. And I left my "good" hat in Florida. LOL.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc15/jenny_the_strange/DSC07053.jpg

kimki
August 3rd, 2010, 06:33 AM
That looks awesome JenniferNoel. Nice picture too, hope you don't mind me saying. :)

Yayasmurf
August 3rd, 2010, 08:53 AM

Thanks Italianamama! This is a great link.... I really needed it. I've been wanting to wear scarves to protect my hair at certain outdoor events and now I can... :D

italianamama
August 3rd, 2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks Italianamama! This is a great link.... I really needed it. I've been wanting to wear scarves to protect my hair at certain outdoor events and now I can... :D

No prob, The Internet Gods smile upon me sometimes :D My favorite is the Rapunzel, sooooo pretty!

Random thought- I can see how some of the linked styles could easily fit in at a renaissance festival :D Or the grocery store.

Fairlight63
August 3rd, 2010, 10:14 AM
Love those scarfs, they are so pretty! Makes me want to go buy one & learn how to tie it, so many pretty styles to try!

Mary <><
August 3rd, 2010, 10:17 AM
I'm in, but I am cheating since I cover my head all the time anyway! LOL! :cheese:

Fairlight63
August 3rd, 2010, 10:50 AM
I think that I am going to try making a long scarf but don't know what size to cut it. What are the measurements to make one of those tichel's to make the ends long enough to tie it around?

Spring
August 3rd, 2010, 10:57 AM
I read on the site that LaurenH linked to, that it's a 36 inch square... I bought some pretty fabric to make scarves with (I wore my satin scarf underneath because the sheer fabric was a little rough) a year ago but I was too lazy to actually clean finish the edges, so they've frayed pretty badly (I still use them though :D)

Merewen
August 3rd, 2010, 12:58 PM
My local Goodwill has scarves in abundance for a dollar or two apiece. Maybe you could try a place like that?

Any suggestions where I can pick up some of these cheap? I'd love to add a splash of floral to my plain, drab law office attire, but don't have the funds for anything pricey.

Heartwillfollow
August 3rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
Am doubling today, I wore my pumkin colored snood with ties yesterday and I am wearing it again today :) The color is just perfect for my light skin tone and I just love this type of snood for working outside.

anthonyswife
August 3rd, 2010, 02:15 PM
Sounds cool! I've been doing this a lot lately too. I have a ton of scarves but I never really used them much. Now I'm learning new ways to tie them, which helps. It can be a bit irritating though, some days they stay perfectly all day and are so comfortable, other days I have to keep re-adjusting them every few minutes.

JenniferNoel
August 3rd, 2010, 04:43 PM
Today, I was sneaky. I put a DT on my hair, shower capped it twice, and double scarfed it all day while I was out and about. He he he.

ghost
August 3rd, 2010, 04:54 PM
Jennifer, I love how the tasseled scarf looks! It's so pretty.

Spring
August 3rd, 2010, 06:23 PM
Does anyone know the different ways to clean finish the edges of fabric when making a scarf? I have a serger, but I think the material is too thin.... I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about a sheer finishing tape???

haircrazedgirl
August 3rd, 2010, 06:31 PM
i wear scarfs over my hair on a daily basis a real good challenge.

Jessica Trapp
August 3rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
I recently acquired a buff head scarf and I *love* it. It works well for nia, yoga, hiking and motorcycling and lots of the other active stuff I do. I just pop it on and I'm ready to go. No more worries.

:flower: jes

kimki
August 4th, 2010, 02:54 AM
I recently acquired a buff head scarf and I *love* it. It works well for nia, yoga, hiking and motorcycling and lots of the other active stuff I do. I just pop it on and I'm ready to go. No more worries.

:flower: jes

Buff's are great, I have a couple they are so comfortable and versatile. :)

csm--carla
August 4th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Thanks for pointing this out!

Buffs are 20 inch by 10 inch tubes of microfiber fabric according to the web site. I have some microfiber, I can sew it into a tube using the flatlock stitch on the serger and make it work.:cheese::cheese::cheese:

Carla

In2wishin
August 4th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Does anyone know the different ways to clean finish the edges of fabric when making a scarf? I have a serger, but I think the material is too thin.... I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about a sheer finishing tape???

I use my serger to do a rolled hem on any weight, including sheers. I do make sure I have a 3/4" or so seam allowance that I cut off and I keep a steady tension on the fabric by pulling it slightly on both sides of the needle.

csm--carla
August 4th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Some people use a stabilizer on the edges--sometimes spray starch helps. With an old serger I had, nothing worked. SO frustrating. (It was the deciding factor to get a new serger.) Also choosing thicker fabric--rayon perhaps or linen.

Good luck with that.

Carla

GlassEyes
August 4th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I keep thinking this thread is about overeating. D:

Spring
August 4th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I use my serger to do a rolled hem on any weight, including sheers. I do make sure I have a 3/4" or so seam allowance that I cut off and I keep a steady tension on the fabric by pulling it slightly on both sides of the needle.

Some people use a stabilizer on the edges--sometimes spray starch helps. With an old serger I had, nothing worked. SO frustrating. (It was the deciding factor to get a new serger.) Also choosing thicker fabric--rayon perhaps or linen.

Good luck with that.

Carla

Thanks ladies :flower:

I just went out and bought 5 more pieces of beautiful fabric and started to stay-stitch the edges of one and it took forever, ... so I think I'm going to try the serger

GoddesJourney
August 4th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I read the title and thought of depression related binge eating. Yumm.

Calaelen
August 4th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I find it funny how many people have thought this post was about binge eating when it's in the Mane Forum of a hair-care sight. LOL. I knew right away what it was about when I saw it..but maybe that's because I am always relating everything to hair.

GlassEyes
August 5th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I find it funny how many people have thought this post was about binge eating when it's in the Mane Forum of a hair-care sight. LOL. I knew right away what it was about when I saw it..but maybe that's because I am always relating everything to hair.
It's because I opened it on the home page feed--which doesn't list forums.

JenniferNoel
August 5th, 2010, 01:40 PM
You guys are great. :wacko:
I have a couple black buffs with sparkle things towards the front, they're pretty neat looking, and they go with everything.
I'm running out to go get some materials to make several new ones later.

Carolyn
August 5th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I read the title and thought of depression related binge eating. Yumm.I thought it was about eating on the run and forgetting you ate :silly: When I'm reading posts, I bring up New Posts and hardly ever notice which forum the thread is on. I don't browse from forum to forum.

GoddesJourney
August 5th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I thought it was about eating on the run and forgetting you ate :silly: When I'm reading posts, I bring up New Posts and hardly ever notice which forum the thread is on. I don't browse from forum to forum.

Yeah, maybe I come from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles generation, but that's all "scarfing" means to me. Eating. Quickly and mess-ily...? Yeah, no so sure that's a word.

JenniferNoel
August 5th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Ha!
Ironically enough I do tend to forget what I eat and when I eat it, so basically I forget to eat as well. I guess all of this madness is relevant. :cheese:
Oh, back to topic, I totally lost my blue/black tie dye scarf! Nooo! I must look harder. I haven't seen the thing in months, it's really strange.

Coriander
August 5th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I've been in a cinnabun-and-Ficcare rut recently, so I tried the scarf thing just now. It's incredibly comfy and I don't have stray hairs bothering me. :D

Thank you for this thread!

Autumns Veil
August 5th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I've just had a major chop and plan on using scarves as my hair grows out a bit. Just so I won't have to fuss about it all the time.

luthien_belewen
August 5th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I'm joining in on the scarf-wearing! I love covering my hair with a scarf, so pretty!

Carolyn
August 5th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah, maybe I come from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles generation, but that's all "scarfing" means to me. Eating. Quickly and mess-ily...? Yeah, no so sure that's a word.My son is 28 and of the same generation as you. I'm sure I used "scarf" as in gobbling food down quickly way back in the 70s. I have no idea where that definition would have come from. Oh the TMNT :D

Spring
August 6th, 2010, 02:14 PM
You guys are great. :wacko:
I have a couple black buffs with sparkle things towards the front, they're pretty neat looking, and they go with everything.
I'm running out to go get some materials to make several new ones later.

Out of curiosity, Jennifer are you rolling the edges, zig zagging the edges, folding them etc.. ???

JenniferNoel
August 6th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Out of curiosity, Jennifer are you rolling the edges, zig zagging the edges, folding them etc.. ???

I always fold my edges, I find it really easy for some reason. Never had any wear and tear that way.

And as far as the ninja turtles goes, I never really got in to that.
But I remember my family and I always used the term scarfing whenever someone ate as quickly and efficiently as possible. Haven't used the word since though. :p

HairFaerie
August 9th, 2010, 08:53 AM
OK, I am IN! I just purchased a whole assortment of scarves, wraps and other various items to wrap my hair in.
At first I wasn't sure this was going to be a good look for me, but since my hair is at such a dorky stage right now, I was willing to try ANYTHING in lieu of cutting it.
I just wrapped my hair in a black scarf and topped it off with a "snood".
I was surprised I am actually really happy with the look! YAY! This is my new favorite thing for now while my hair is in transition.

kmoc123
August 9th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I found this http://www.coveryourhair.com/HowToTieTiechels.html saw Rabbi Richman about a year ago and his wife Rena had the most beautiful tiechel. Lovely woman!

Spring
August 21st, 2010, 12:52 PM
Hello everyone :waving:

how's the scarfing going for everybody? Are you wearing different scarves? Anyone experience any awkwardness at first, but now feel fine scarfing in public?

I need to scarf more than what I'm doing, so hopefully hearing from some of you here will be motivating. :flower: :grouphug:

JenniferNoel
August 21st, 2010, 12:58 PM
Hello there, Spring!

The scarfing is going quite well for me thank you, I've been doing a little more repeats lately though since I've made peace with a very pretty white scarf. ;)

I get lots of compliments, here it's very socially acceptable to casually wear scarves.

Spring
August 26th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks Jennifer :)!

I usually wear my scarves when I have conditioner in my hair for a couple of hours and I'm out running errrands,.. and I've never felt funny about that. So I was puzzled as to why I felt funny wearing a scarf without having conditioner in my hair :laugh: :rollin:

redheadlynn
September 2nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
Hey guys! garlands of grace (dot) com has really nifty head coverings of different types. Theirs last through washings, too.

I just bought a silk scarf and a satin pillowcase. I am growing my hair out from about 3-4" long at the longest. :/ Celiac disease wrecks havoc on hair. :(

Calaelen
September 2nd, 2010, 10:41 AM
The scarfing is going great for me. I wasn't shy about wearing them in public at all, and though I do feel I get looked over by hijabis a little more, I don't mind it.

I don't wear mine like a hijab, though I just bought one that begs to be worn that way. I might yet do it.

I have been adding pics to my profile for anyone who wants to see some of my looks.

I think I've decided to continue this for a year, to see how my hair looks at the end, and because I love how I feel in them, it gives me an edge I'd not expected, like I don't care what anyone thinks of me anymore. It's been great.

How is everyone else doing with the challenge?

Spring
September 6th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Hey guys! garlands of grace (dot) com has really nifty head coverings of different types. Theirs last through washings, too.

I just bought a silk scarf and a satin pillowcase. I am growing my hair out from about 3-4" long at the longest. :/ Celiac disease wrecks havoc on hair. :(

I hope you bounce right back! and grow down beautifully :flower: Thanks for website :)

The scarfing is going great for me. I wasn't shy about wearing them in public at all, and though I do feel I get looked over by hijabis a little more, I don't mind it.

I don't wear mine like a hijab, though I just bought one that begs to be worn that way. I might yet do it.

I have been adding pics to my profile for anyone who wants to see some of my looks.

I think I've decided to continue this for a year, to see how my hair looks at the end, and because I love how I feel in them, it gives me an edge I'd not expected, like I don't care what anyone thinks of me anymore. It's been great.

Goodness, I'm still scarfing when conditioning without any inhibitions whatsoever and funny enough, I've been doing that for over a year now... but I'm still having problems wearing the scarf without conditioning :confused:... LOL Calaelen, your boldness is very encouraging.

For some reason I thought the hijab was just simply tied at the base of your neck???, ... is it similar to how the Jewish women tie their scarves (I'm sorry, I forgot the name:()

going to check your albums :)...

lajsa
September 7th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I bought my first scarf ever today! It's not silk, though; I wanted one, but in this stupid town no store stocks the things I want (it's a conspiracy! ;)), so I got the softest kind I could find; it's pink with some sort of flowery pattern in brown/orange. Looks pretty nice, and it's soft.

Buuuuuut... my problem! I have never used a scarf in my entire life. I've tried the tutorials at http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl, but I'm still having problems; I simply don't really know what to do with the hair. I want it sort of covered, and it's longer than the tip of my square scarf (I fold it double into a triangle like the site says). I'd like to wear this style (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/bun.pl), but whenever I do, my stupid hair shows off its surpreme thinness, and it really never makes any kind of bun-like thing; rather it's... not very pretty. Here, I made a illustration (I'm such an artist! :p):

http://i53.tinypic.com/1zf3oco.jpg

Maybe it's just something I'll have to practice, but it's really annoying and hard to handle both my BSL-ish hair and the scarf at once, and try to make it look okay. The site really doesn't tell me much of what to do with the hair as I wrap the scarf, and I'm a true beginner in the art of scarfing :cool:

Also, I'm not sure if I have the confidence to pull a scarf off in public; no one around here wears them except for the muslim women, who are all immigrants and don't really mix a lot with the rest of the population (because this is a stupid little town...). I'd love to be able to wear a scarf at school, though, because then I wouldn't have to worry about flashing my greasy roots to the world as I try to stretch time between washings. :eyebrows:

Moondust
September 7th, 2010, 07:14 AM
One of my favorite singers Erykah Badu, I love her head wraps
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7zoSOTB7ImU/StGjFty29JI/AAAAAAAAEMc/h0Mj7TC_f5I/s800/erykah_badu_umvd006_leroy-roper.jpg
http://www.erykahbadu.org/images/Erykah%20Badu/Erykah_Badu.jpg

I always think these kinds of headress can be just beautiful too. Draw so much attention to the expression of the eyes alone. Plus the beauty of the fabric.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ANLMOMBjC3I/S2hYScO_L-I/AAAAAAAAO7w/Z9YgKrG6IjY/s400/3.jpg

That's the word I was looking for! 'Hijab'. I think they can be just beautiful. I wish I had the confidence to wear one.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ANLMOMBjC3I/S2hYScO_L-I/AAAAAAAAO7w/Z9YgKrG6IjY/s400/3.jpg

But I do really want to get into wearing head scarves and wraps, because I think it's such a neat way to add such vibrant colors and interesting patterns and embellishment to your head! It'd be especially fun for me at this point because my hair is not all that long yet, and it'd give me some new looks to experiment with.

Miyani
September 8th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Oh this sounds perfect! I'd like to join in! I was thinking of getting some silk and satin from the store and making my own scarves! I love covering my hair!

helwa
September 8th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I want to see pictures! :cheer:

Spring
September 9th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I want to see pictures! :cheer:

lol... I love pictures too :p. Calaelen has a link to pics in her posts above :)