PDA

View Full Version : Ugh...it happened...

ptnicole
July 30th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Have to vent...funny as hair gets longer the comments come out of the woodwork.

Last weekend a girlfriend and I got to talking about hair. Hers is should length, hi-lighted and styled (she is 38). Mine is long layers, natural wave, up lots, etc. She asked me what I was "going to do with my hair" (I always hate this question...implies that I have to do something with my hair???). Anyways, I told her I am growing it out to my waist and no longer coloring it (she knows me best as a blonde).

Here it comes.....she says: "Long? well I guess you have a few more years to pull that look off and you should definitely go blonde again". UGH. I bit my tongue, but did make the comment that blonde is no longer "me"...it was fine in my early 20's but now I'm just not into it anymore.

Anyways...thanks for letting me vent. I can hardly wait to have waist hair and age with it! Here's to all you 40+ long-locked ladies! :thumbsup:

Islandgrrl
July 30th, 2010, 01:21 PM
TBL, 50 and loving it. :silly:

louisemg82
July 30th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Hi ladies, I'm 28 and people still ask me 'what I'm going to do with my hair' or 'why don't you have it cut into a nice style?'... I'm not sure if it's an age thing. My guess is that long hair is extremely feminine and some people see that as threatening, weak, odd or something else even. In life the slightest difference from the crowd attracts negative attention but if you're happy - who cares ;)

strwbrry dakri
July 30th, 2010, 01:26 PM
BSL 51, and NOBODY had better tell me I should do something with it. I am. I am growing it!

little_cherry
July 30th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Hi ladies, I'm 28 and people still ask me 'what I'm going to do with my hair' or 'why don't you have it cut into a nice style?'... I'm not sure if it's an age thing. My guess is that long hair is extremely feminine and some people see that as threatening, weak, odd or something else even. In life the slightest difference from the crowd attracts negative attention but if you're happy - who cares ;)
Welcome! :) When people ask me what I'm going to do with my hair, I say "grow it". If they ask why, I say "because it is my hair and I want it to be long." I don't give a hooooot what people think of me or my hair. I'm not here to decorate anyones' world but my own. :)

Fern
July 30th, 2010, 01:49 PM
People asked me what I was going to do with my hair when I was pregnant, saying I wouldn't have time for it once I had my baby, I always told them I was going to put it up in a bun and not worry about it. And that's just what i have done almost every day for the last 18 months, I think I have had it down maybe 5 times and always end up putting it back up within a few hours.

spidermom
July 30th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I've got an answer ready for "what are you going to do with it?"

You're looking at it.

Kathie
July 30th, 2010, 02:48 PM
People asked me what I was going to do with my hair when I was pregnant, saying I wouldn't have time for it once I had my baby, I always told them I was going to put it up in a bun and not worry about it. And that's just what i have done almost every day for the last 18 months, I think I have had it down maybe 5 times and always end up putting it back up within a few hours.

It’s weird and annoying how people have these stereotypes- "oh you’re going to be a mom, you'll need to cut that hair off". It really does take much less time to do your hair when it’s long than when it’s short.

I get the impression that when people have these hair comments their jealous or can’t think outside their own style bubble and what others to follow their lead for reassurance.

ptnicole
July 30th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Amen Kathy!

When I had my first 4 years ago....I did the stereotypical chop...I hated it with a passion! But, having kids changed me and now I am down with doing what I want to do with myself! Besides...my daughter is my little hair cheerleader...hers is to waist and I'm shooting for waist.

lapushka
July 30th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Here it comes.....she says: "Long? well I guess you have a few more years to pull that look off and you should definitely go blonde again".

Sounds frightfully catty to me.

amnicare
July 30th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Yeah I knew this girl who always kept her hair long enough so it came down her back. When she started cutting it.....I don't know it's like she wanted everyone else to have short hair too. I am so confused. I feel like some people don't know how to be happy for others. If they can't have something then no one can.

Euphony
July 30th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I belong to another very small, private forum (non hair related). One of the members I know personally, we live about 40 miles from each other. She's about 49 currently. When she was 46 she cut off all her hair, her hair had been to her waist for years, she colored and permed it to within an inch of it's life. So I totally agreed with her when she said she wanted to cut it off and start over.

She posted pictures on the forum, I hadn't seen her in person yet. I thought it aged her at least 10 years, she was very happy with it so who cares if I thought it aged her. All of the older ladies on that forum oohed and awed about how much younger it made her look. And that women her age should have short hair etc etc etc.

I was mystified and expressed that mystification in that thread. Not about it making her look older to me, but how it was that it made her look younger and why oh why is she supposed to have short hair.

I think I made an impression, they all know how old I am and every time I post a picture over there that show my hair I get huge compliments on my hair. Especially from one of the posters that was the biggest praiser of the short hair cut hahahaha

jera
July 30th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Sounds frightfully catty to me.

She does sound catty, but most non LHC women sound catty to me when it comes to hair suggestions. :p

People have stopped asking me what I'm going to do with my hair as it's gotten longer. Maybe they've just given up on me. Only one of my FFs still nags me about it, and she's a stylist so we already know what her motives are. ;)

Speck
July 30th, 2010, 04:22 PM
My Mother constantly asks when I'm going to cut my hair. Like it's expected for older women to have short hair. She's never had hair past her collar. I never saw my grandmother with hair longer than 2 or 3 inches and that was always permed and styled. Maybe it was a style thing that lingered on from the 20's and 30's. My grandma was born in 1912. I've seen pics of two of my great-grandma's and they had buns. I'm 46 so they were probably... uh...I can't do math right now. I had a post put in for a dental implant and they gave me vicodin so I'm riding the happy wagon.

DakarNick
July 30th, 2010, 05:37 PM
My fiance has been pressured a few times by her friends and it bugs me and I let her know it. One asked her if she wanted to chop it for LoL. I told her I'd be very upset about it and thought you shouldn't grow it out for my sake, you also shouldn't cut it for her friend's sake.

Another friend of hers had long hair until she had a baby. It was TBL years ago, BSL when I met her April last year, and now it's mid-neck length. I understand if it's easier for some women to cut it for a baby, but it's not a rule, and I hope my fiance figures that out when she gets pregnany.

christine1989
July 30th, 2010, 06:10 PM
She should come to LHC and see how many women 30, 40, 50 and older have fantastic long hair beyond waist :). In fact I just saw a woman downtown today who had to be at least 50 with hip length, super thick hair.

Blandine
July 30th, 2010, 06:19 PM
"What are you going to do with your hair?"

"Hey I AM doing a lot with it. So how many different hairstyles can you do with yours? I know about 50..."

jeanniet
July 30th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I gave up caring what people think some time ago. ;) Darn it, if I have to get old then I'm doing what *I* want! :cheese:

lhangel9
July 30th, 2010, 08:15 PM
BSL 51, and NOBODY had better tell me I should do something with it. I am. I am growing it!

2nd that!!!! And will continue to grow it!!!!!!!;)

jasper
July 30th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I think I got that kind of question before- what are you going to do with your hair- and I just owned up that I was growing out from a shorter style and had a different cut in mind, but by the time it got long enough, I had forgotten how I wanted it cut or why. . . and at the end of that explanation, it was clear to the hair cut/style advocate that I was a hopeless case so they didn't bug me further.

SpinDance
July 30th, 2010, 08:49 PM
My hair, my choice! :) I often say I'm running an experiment. That usually confuses people enough to derail any of that sort of thing. Besides, I've seen some amazing long silver hair, both here in pics and IRL, and I sure hope mine is like that when it's turned further gray and this dye grows out. I tell them I want completely white hair down to "here" -points to TBL-.

Chrissy
July 31st, 2010, 05:21 AM
Fifty five and loving my hair. :)

Bluegrass Babe
July 31st, 2010, 02:13 PM
I'd say the OP's "friend" was jealous and didn't want the competition. If I get that comment I'll just give them the "DUH!" stare and say "Wear it?"

CopperHead
July 31st, 2010, 02:49 PM
59, classic length, hennaed red and so far I have had no negative comments on it. I guess I have just been lucky and it is pretty normal for older women to have long hair around here. I do wear it up in a bun every day, so the length doesn't really show.