PDA

View Full Version : Going for a haircut, would really appreciate advice

curlofsmoke
May 17th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I haven't had a hair cut in ages, but I have now decided to because I have some damaged ends, I want to get it cut into a u/v shape and it's now getting too long for me, especially as my hair is fine and tangle prone but also abundant and heavy. I love having long hair and wanted to see what it was like this long (just past classic) but have concluded that I'm enjoying it less and finding it more of a bother than before, whereas I didn't find hip length noticeably more bothersome than BSL. I guess everyone has to find out what is best for them.

I want to get it cut with the longest part of the u/v being tailbone, and maybe cut up to hip length later on. Self-trimming is definitely beyond me, and my friends swear they would mess it up, so I have a hair appointment on Tuesday. I know I could ask the stylist some of the following questions but I trust you guys so much more!

- I want a soft v/pointy u shape (if that makes sense), I seem to remember there being a shapes gallery on LHC quite a while ago - is that still available? Alternatively, can anyone think of members with pictures who have this shape. I want to print out a picture to give the clearest guidance possible to the stylist. I would of course ask permission from anyone before printing their picture, even though it would only be the back of their head. I don't yet have 100 posts so I don't know if that would cause a problem.

- Are there any consequences to having a u/v shape regarding putting hair up (into buns, gibson girls etc.), sock curling etc.? I have only ever had a blunt cut or fairy tale ends, so I would rather not find out a really annoying drawback and have to grow it out even again.

- Most of the time I want to have my hair parted directly above the pupil of my eye, but sometimes center parted - would this cause the u/v to look messed up?

- Would there be any drawbacks to getting a few wispy bits cut to soften updos a little? I really like doing that Juliet style where two strands from either side are braided/twisted and joined at the nape area over the rest of the hair, I wondered if short bits might get it the way?

- With the last haircut I got, they washed my hair and then ripped a comb through so carelessly that my eyes were watering with the pain, is there anything I could do to minimise this?

- Is there anything I could do to minimise damage from the blowfrying?

Before you say 'just tell them to cut it dry and/or not blowfry it', I have talked to the salon and they refuse to cut my hair without doing this. This salon actually seems to be the best in my area, as all the others also refuse, and in addition the other salons either will not cut my hair this long (and treat me like a freak) or will only give me a blunt cut, which I loathe on my hair. Stupid but true. When a girl from one of the salons asked me what was my problem with blowdrying, obviously I did this at home, and I told her I didn't own a blowdryer she looked at me like I had just told her I was from Mars or something. Anyway sorry for the novel guys!

Dvips
May 17th, 2008, 02:16 PM
For the washing/detangling, you could wash, detangle, and braid your hair at home. Then your hair would already be wet for them to cut but their comb shouldn't be able to do as much damage.

As for the "wispy" bits, I would wait to see how they did on following your desire for the u-shape hemline before thrusting them with anything else, but that's just me. :shrug:

Nevermore
May 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Honestly, I would not go to a salon, if this is all that's available in your area. There is NO reason to blowfry someone's hair though wet-cutting is acceptable, imo. The place that yanked the comb thru, is that this place? If so, remember that the all-over damage from rough treatment while wet may be worse than the current damage to your ends. Is there any possibility of getting another LHCer to cut your hair, since they'd know how to be kind to hair, or going to a GM-type salon someplace outside of your area?

However, I'd take in pics from Feye's self trimming site to show what shape you want, no matter what you end up doing, because those pics are the clearest/best imo.

Aljona
May 17th, 2008, 03:06 PM
The salons refusing to not blowdry your hair seems a bit weird to me, like if they have forgotten the rule that the customer always comes first. Maybe you could talk to the manager about that?

Stylists often ask you about how long it has been since your last cut. I've found it to be a good idea to lie a bit about the time. If I tell them it has been many months, they usually cut too much. I don't normally like lying, but I love my hair:)

Calista
May 17th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I second the idea to go to the salon with your hair already washed and wet. And they could not force you to get a blow-job (aaaaw, sorry! :spitting: ). You could simply get up and leave.

Curlsgirl
May 17th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Are you sure they have to blow dry? I also understand about not wanting to cut it dry but to refuse to let it dry by itself seems ridiculous to me, especially that NONE in the area will do that. I agree about detanglling before and braiding. Today I detangled right in the shop again before I let them touch it. I also told them I have a very tender scalp and that I would appreciate if they would use a wide tooth comb and start from the ends and gently go up. (you could even take the comb you want them to use in case they don't HAVE a wide tooth one).The Aveda salon today was very good at doing that. By all means don't just accept what they do if they start doing something you don't want. SPEAK UP! It's YOUR hair and YOU are the paying customer!!!

akurah
May 17th, 2008, 08:20 PM
My best experience in terms of getting EXACTLY what I wanted was at the cheapest salon I could find: Supercuts. I went in, told them no washing, no blow dryer, just wet the hair from the mister and cut off exactly the amount I show you in a V shape.

I got a U shape, unfortunately, but it was perfect in every other aspect.

The more expensive the salon, the more likely the stylists are going to have inflated, pretentious ideas about what's what when it comes to hair.

nomadhome
May 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Some salons blow out the hair to make sure the cut is perfectly even. As many wavy, self-trimmers know-- it's not always perfect and waves mean it doesn't matter. Your hair is pretty straight, so absolute perfection might matter. If not, maybe you could make it clear to the stylist that you will not hold imperfection against her.

Also, self trimming might not really be beyond you. You could try it and if it is not satisfactory, then let the stylist fix it-- since you have an appt. anyway.

psvzum
May 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM
That just sounds off that they're making you blowdry. Just tell them you don't blow dry-end of story : ) I get my hair done every 3 1/2 weeks (color) and the only time I get it dried is in winter. All the other times I just leave with wet hair. I wouldn't go there if they're not willing to listen to what YOU want. One other thought, bring your own comb to detangle your hair with. The ones they use in salons are killer!

spidermom
May 18th, 2008, 08:29 AM
They HAVE to blow-dry? What kind of nonsense is that? Are they going to tie you to the chair? If not, say "no" and stand up.

jojo
May 18th, 2008, 08:37 AM
why not cancel that appointment and go to a mans barber, most are very good at doing what you want.

tiny_teesha
May 18th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I second jojo's idea. Or you can explain over and over anc over and ask them to show you and say somethign like "I don't follow fashion, don't turn me into a barbie doll, this is what i want you to do if you don't do it perfect i'm never comming back"- ask then to cut half as much as you want. You see, if you say cut one inch, they will cut 5, you need to show them a ruler, and say "see, this is an inch, hold it up to my hair and snip, that is all i want off"
I remember hearing a story of someone being very precises and they still chopped it off wrong. See that is why i cut my own hair, i don't even trust my own mum anymore!

curlofsmoke
May 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts

I'll try the washing, combing and bunning idea (I'd have to bun as I am ridiculously bad at braiding - think bent pregnant snake or something). Though it might dry too much in the 3/4 hour it'll take me to get there (I don't drive). I might try to scare them out of re-washing it by telling them it will get stuck in the sink - not just hair folks, it's HAIR!

It's not the same salon that ripped the comb through but all salons I have been to have been pretty bad about that.

Something I didn't mention in the original post (it was getting stupidly complicated) is that this is a model night (i.e. students practicing). I know that might freak some of you out but I have done it before and whilst not great it was as good as or better than any of the cuts I had had normally. I like it for two reasons
1 - It's discounted. I live in a hideously fancy town but I am an artist and thus don't have much spare money. For reasons too complicated to go into I can't move for the forseeable future. All of the decent salons are shi-shi-poo-poo-la-di-dah places with ouch prices.
2 - I actually found I got a better cut because they would do what I wanted - students anxious to get good marks, rather than arrogant stylists chopping and layering however they saw best. But the blowdry is for them to practice so the receptionist was rigid about it. The girl who will be cutting my hair I spoke to very briefly and she seemed quite nice, so maybe I can wangle something.
Even with normal full price appts, all the salons are difficult about no blowdry - I think because they feel it is associated with cheaper salons who offer that option, so they don't want me dragging their reputation down.

There is one cheap hairdressers and one barber in town. The cheap salon laughed at my hair. The barber was complete with naked centrefolds all over the walls, middle aged men with lots of gold jewellery and leers and comments as I walked in. Strangely enough I didn't feel comfortable taking my hair down in that place. Clearly all the men who are not Neanderthals go to the salons.

I don't know any LHCers in the area. I mean they might be some but I don't know how to find out, it would be handy to have a search by location function. It would be fun to meet up with other long hairs for non hair cutting reasons too!

Thanks again for your comments

puredoxyk
May 18th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Er...I've never liked what blowdrying did to my hair, and I've had it cut several times without being blow-dried, in a few different salons. I would definitely not put up with a salon trying to tell me that I *had* to have a blow-dry...that sounds like completely hooey to me.

Nevermore
May 18th, 2008, 02:04 PM
YOU are the customer, whether you're getting trimmed by a student or some Hollywood stylist, YOU get to choose what happens to you and your hair. Blowdrying is incredibly damaging, especially done salon-style, imo. I remember the amount of CRAP they'd put on my hair (think: four handfuls of texturizing nonsense, some cone crap that made my hair feel like plastic then easter grass, following the blowfrying) and how I'd end up with...erm, not hair, exactly, but something that crunched when I touched it and not even hurricane-force winds could budge.

That said, maybe you can get them to blowdry on cool/room temp and only to mostly-dry, instead of sahara-dry? They can have their practice, you can have your hair.

lacereza
May 20th, 2008, 05:51 AM

Jostar
May 20th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I just had my hair trimmed and I have to say, the girl was great. She really listened to me, combed my hair really gently and did exactly what i wanted. She even blow-dryed it on very cool (it took ages) so i am really pleased and will be going back there again.

Where abouts in the UK are you curlofsmoke?