PDA

View Full Version : OMG! a gray hair! nooooooo!

squiggyflop
July 30th, 2010, 11:55 AM
im kind of freaking out right now.. i found a gray hair..:shocked: its right near the front.. i was hoping that i wouldnt go gray young.. dad still has most of his color but mom turned gray really early in life.. ugh... its staring at me.. i know i shouldnt pull it out because it wouldnt do any good.. this is what i get for not hennaing my hair for 3 months.. stupid 3 inch long gray hair..

*runs around upset* I dont want to go gray!! :(

constantki
July 30th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I'm 16 and I have A LOT of grays. Not so much that other people notice it without looking closely, but enough to bother me.
My father says that it is genetic, since he started getting grays around age 18.
I really feel your pain on this one!!

SlightlySoprano
July 30th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Hey don't panic! I found a grey hair in the front months ago, it fell out naturally and I haven't found a grey since! Don't fret!

moominhapa
July 30th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I've found a couple gray hair before, but my hair definitely isn't going gray yet. Sometimes they just pop up for whatever reason, I think.

But if your hair is going gray, that's not so bad! I have friends with some really sophisticated looking silvers in their hair, and I think it looks great even when you're really young.

bridgetsgirl
July 30th, 2010, 01:54 PM
It seems like a grey here and there is normal, perhaps common, even in your early 20s. I've found a couple on DH a few years ago(who recently turned 25). We also had a friend who at 20 had quite a few...just be grateful you're not like my high school friend Rodney who started going BALD at 16! I guess what I really want to say is not to fret since it's just one hair. :flower: But then, this is coming from someone who has yet to find a grey :rolleyes: ...I'm tempted to ask my dad the next time we talk when he and my mom started getting them...

JenniferNoel
July 30th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Hey hey no worries now, I have plenty of grays growing out of my head, all coarse and wiry, nothing a little 2-step henndigo can't annihilate. It's common to have a few grays here and there without actually "going gray" so I wouldn't worry yet. Stress only makes it happen quicker. :p

VintageBrooklyn
July 30th, 2010, 02:04 PM
With me it was genetic too, my dad's fault entirely. I started to see them when I was in my teens and now I see so many it looks like I may even have more grey than my orginal colour! I am actually in the process of growing my regrowth longer than usual as I am curious how many I do have! I do feel for you, I remember feeling so angry that I had to dye my hair more and more frequent because they became so obvious! I do hope that you are unlike me and only have that one for a long time! :)

exile2600
July 30th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I got my first one at 24. I freaked and called my dad 'cause I know the women his family went gray early. I asked him when it happened and he said they were in their mid 20s. I was terrified I'd be fully gray by 30! Well, I'm 29 now and the first one's still hanging out with only a couple of new buddies. It took a few years for them to even join the party. I decided to quit coloring because I have more interesting natural tones anyway and I don't even see the grays that much. Once in awhile they might pop out to say hi, but that's about it. Don't freak too much, just keep an eye on them and color if you choose to. I learned that they are quick to go back to gray after coloring, though.

Copasetic
July 30th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I have had one grey hair since I was 19 or 20. I pluck it out, and it grows back in grey, but so far no other greys have popped up.

Maybe you have the same random grey hair as me!

Zarina
July 30th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I started going majorly gray at 22. I am now 35 and I am probably over 50% gray. My grandmother was white haired at 40 though so I should probably count myself lucky. :cheese:

Completely white hair would be cool though...

-Z.

HairColoredHair
July 30th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Aw, lucky! I wish I had a chance of going gray young, but both my parents only have a smattering in their fifties. :(

I love the look of gray/silver/white hair. :) It's the reason (one of them) that I'm giving up henna... I want to see my grays when they come (and I'm lazy!)

willowcandra
July 30th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Dear Squiggy......

RELAX.

Love Willowcandra.

bunnii
July 30th, 2010, 02:23 PM
it's probably only the one and if it's not, grey hairs are cool :)

Nastasia
July 30th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I found my first gray hair at 16, and now have a totally badass Rogue streak going on. I rather like it. :)

I say, embrace the gray hairs. They sparkle! They add character! They make you less likely to get carded in bars!

loralie
July 30th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I love grays! I can't wait to get one! But I do understand you being worried about it... it's okay. You have gorgeous hair!!!! If it's the first one you should have a while yet before they all start popping in.

My dad had a gorgeous Waardenburg streak (the syndrome is characterized by deafness and some facial differences which he didn't have, just the deafness) which my half sister inherited, but I never did. I'm happy I don't have the hearing loss that accompanied it but I always admired how unique the streak looked!!!

Kathie
July 30th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I think it’s just a random gray- not that start of something more serious :p I’ve heard that when you actually do start to go gray it starts on the sides.

lapushka
July 30th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Relax. :) I discovered a few when I was in my early twenties, too. It was just one or two and it stayed that way until about fifteen years later, when they started sprinkling in. Anyway, I still have most of my color, except for maybe 2% but you can't really tell yet.

In most cases, it takes a while.

I agree with it probably being just a random gray hair. Don't worry too much. :)

dropinthebucket
July 30th, 2010, 03:01 PM
LOL squiggy - I bet no one else will even notice it - in case the old wives' tale is true, I don't pluck mine - I cut them off near the scalp - that'll teach 'em! :)

Angeletti
July 30th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I just found my first one a couple weeks ago as well, but as long as you don't have a lot of them all coming in gray then nothing to worry about

MissManda
July 30th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't worry about it because I know some people who have found random gray hairs at an early age, but didn't go gray at all. I think red and silver is a pretty color combination. ^.^

squiggyflop
July 30th, 2010, 04:41 PM
ok i'm starting to relax now..
but there is something else im wondering about.. the gray hair is coarse.. like a little wire.. very different from my F/M hair..

florenonite
July 30th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Hey, think how pretty and bright grey hairs will be with your henna :p

And, yes, grey hairs tend to be much coarser than pigmented hairs, though I don't know why. It's normal, though.

SlightlySoprano
July 30th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Thats exactly what happened to me! It was one single coarse wirey hair and its gone now...

princessp
July 30th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Oh the horrors! No just kidding, don't worry honey you have a long way to go before having to make any major decisions about it.

spidermom
July 30th, 2010, 04:56 PM
You'll catch it next henna session, don't fret.

By the time I noticed that I had silvery-colored hairs in my 40s, I had a lot of them.

The coarse, wirey white ones didn't come along until my 50s.

vampyriccadence
July 30th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I found my first silver hairs when I was 18, and only found a few since. It could just be a single hair, or you could end up looking distinguished! That's a good thing!

Gumball
July 30th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I haven't worried about graying yet. I have a whole one white hair right smack dab on the top of my head. it's one of my perpetually short terminal hairs, so it's always finding a way to peek out since I can't contain the darn thing! It hasn't invited any others to the party yet, so at the moment it's a solo little curly white hair.

AZDesertRose
July 30th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I found my first silver hair when I was about 15, and now (at 34) I have a not-quite-streak of them in the front above my right eye. Nobody even notices my grays unless they're taller than I am (which is not a lot of people, I'm 5'9"/175 cm) and look at the top of my head. My boyfriend notices but he's 6'3". He asked me one time if I was going to color them, and I said, heck no, I *earned* my grays.

ilovelonghair
July 30th, 2010, 05:39 PM
this is what i get for not hennaing my hair for 3 months.. stupid 3 inch long gray hair..

First of all: I'm jealous of your hair!

Second: if you don't like grays I hear that grays become beautiful highlights with henna!

I got my first (or maybe there were more and I couldn't see) white hair 2 years ago (I'm 36) and now there are 3 (as far as I know, maybe more) My mother is 68 and still waiting for her hair to turn white (she wants that), it just looks blonde which is nice too. My father started early and was very gray at 40, he's got perfectly white hair now, looks great!

The only problem with henna is that if you want to have gray hair, you got to grow it out :(

Juneii
July 30th, 2010, 05:41 PM
OH NO!!! A gray hair?! That is horrible! It's the end of the world! There is nothing left to live for!

ahahaha :D I think gray hair is pretty, you don't need worry so much :) gray hair = wisdom

kwaniesiam
July 30th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Just think of how wonderfully bright it will be the next time you henna ;)

christine1989
July 30th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Don't worry too much yet. I always find "gray/blonde" hairs near the front then as they grow longer they become darker and darker until they are dark brown like all the rest. Just watch it and give it some time.

Nae
July 30th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Are you going to join all of us Renegrays now? *wink wink*

It seriously is gonna be alright lol!!

Synthemesc
July 30th, 2010, 07:53 PM
My mum spotted a grey when I was 9(?!) when I was going through some stressy things, haven't seen another since then. Try not to worry about it too much :grouphug:

EdG
July 30th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I had a few gray hairs as a teenager. They stayed relatively few in number until my mid-30s. I wouldn't worry.

I second joining the Renegrays. You're technically qualified. ;)
Ed

Chiara
July 31st, 2010, 01:56 AM
I'm kind of looking forward to going grey-er ...my hair is fine and straight. I'm hoping for coarser and wavier hair. Think of all the fun involved with experimenting with new hair care regimes... maybe it will finally go into certain updos and stay there for longer then 5 minutes...new colours of hair toys...

See, its an opportunity to spend more time on LHC :D

Phexlyn
July 31st, 2010, 03:18 AM
It's good to hear you've calmed down a bit. Just wait and see, one gray hair does not mean they'll be sprouting up all over your head at once ;)
If you don't like it, just catch in during the next henna session.

Now I know that's not much help to you, but for my part, I'd be happy to discover greys/silvers because I just love those streaks... since greying is mostly genetically determined, I don't stand a chance. My granny was not completely grey at 85, and my mum is in her fifties now, still no grey :(

Othala
July 31st, 2010, 03:23 AM
Think of it as your "lucky"white hair.

MonaMayfair
July 31st, 2010, 04:14 AM
I know LOADS of young people with grey hair! My best friend is 24 and he dyes his hair because of the grey. I was talking to a girl who I think is 18 or 19 and said how nice her hair colour is. She told me she dyes it dark brown as she's 50% grey.
I had a (male) friend when I was 17 of the same age who was about 70% grey.

What I'm rambling on about is, it's genetic in lots of cases, not a sign you're getting old!

Also suddenly getting lots of grey hairs can be one of the symptoms of thyroid imbalance. It happened to me. As my hair is blonde (well it WAS 4 years ago, when I was diagnosed, it's henna'd now) I didn't notice the white hairs for ages.
When my medication kicked in, it started growing blonde again (though I still have some greys which look really good with henna on them!)

mellie
July 31st, 2010, 09:02 AM
OH NO!!! A gray hair?! That is horrible! It's the end of the world! There is nothing left to live for!

ahahaha I think gray hair is pretty, you don't need worry so much gray hair = wisdom

I agree, Juneii!! :D

I got a few silvers when I turned 19. I'm almost 39 now and still only have maybe 15% silvers? I want more! I can't wait to go fully white like my mom was by age 49. As Juneii says, gray hair = wisdom!

Embrace it and join us Renegrays! We know how to party!! :cheer:

This site is fun - it explains the different colors of anime hair:
http://anime.mikomi.org/wiki/Hair%20Colors

Grey/Silver Hair
Powerful. Dignified, skillful, intelligent, mysterious, arrogant. May not be human. (Force of Nature, Villain)