PDA

View Full Version : Baquacil and Hair?

IcarusBride
July 30th, 2010, 12:41 AM
My family just got an above-ground pool this summer, and instead of Chlorine my father's been maintaining it with Baquacil. I really don't know very much about it and was looking for information about it online... The only thing I found was many companies who SELL Baquacil going on about how much better it is for your hair than chlorine, without providing any actual information about HOW. What especially concerns me is one website I found which claimed Baquacil is a "Hydrogen Peroxide-based chlorine substitute." If anyone has any experience with it, can you give me some information?

In my own experience, I don't think Baquacil is that much better than chlorine... It doesn't 'burn' my hair like chlorine, but it still makes my hair feel very gross afterwards, just as much as chlorine does. The major difference I've noticed (this is my guesses based on observation, not any scientific proof or knowledge!) is that chlorine just 'burns' your hair, strips off the oils, and leaves it dry and nasty, where as Baquacil does the opposite-- it COATS the hair almost like a -cone on steroids, making your hair tangly and nasty. For the first few weeks I tried to deal with Baquacil the way I deal with chlorine: don't let it dry in your hair, wash it out immediately and use lots of conditioner (even -cones if necessary) and oil every day after. It really didn't work very well! My hair was so heavy and greasy. Then I finally decided enough was enough and decided to use SHAMPOO(the horror!). PS!~ I normally do 'water-only'. Anyways, I took a pretty much empty bottle of shampoo and put water in it and shook it up and squirted it all over my hair. The shampoo residue in the bottle was enough to wash off all the nasty stuff coating my hair without making it frizzy at all. My hair feels so baby-soft now!**And I didn't use any conditioner at all.** I used a generous amount of coconut oil after the shower and it was actually able to sink in again :cheese: My 'pool routine' since has been that I will only allow my hair to get wet 1 day per week, and on that day use diluted shampoo, all other days I will put my hair up on top of my head and only swim above-water.

I hope my experience is useful to someone :D And I really hope someone knows whether or not Baquacil contains peroxide. I've noticed that the very ends of my hair have gotten lighter; the last 2 inches or less which still has several layers of chemical dye on it, 1-2 years old now.

glossyshine
July 30th, 2010, 02:26 AM
SNIP

Then I finally decided enough was enough and decided to use SHAMPOO(the horror!). PS!~ I normally do 'water-only'. Anyways, I took a pretty much empty bottle of shampoo and put water in it and shook it up and squirted it all over my hair. The shampoo residue in the bottle was enough to wash off all the nasty stuff coating my hair without making it frizzy at all. My hair feels so baby-soft now!**And I didn't use any conditioner at all.** I used a generous amount of coconut oil after the shower and it was actually able to sink in again :cheese: My 'pool routine' since has been that I will only allow my hair to get wet 1 day per week, and on that day use diluted shampoo, all other days I will put my hair up on top of my head and only swim above-water.

I hope my experience is useful to someone :D And I really hope someone knows whether or not Baquacil contains peroxide. I've noticed that the very ends of my hair have gotten lighter; the last 2 inches or less which still has several layers of chemical dye on it, 1-2 years old now.

I find this very interesting. I was shampooing only my scalp and CO the rest, but when I started swimming again recently I decided I had no choice but to shampoo-- and with a pretty harsh shampoo, Ultraswim-- the chlorine out.

If I may say, I have some suggestions if you want to get your hair wet more often. If you put coconut oil in your hair before you swim, wet your hair, wear at least one bathing cap (I wear 2) shampoo off that nasty sounding Baquicil right away, and condition again, your hair won't suffer. I often leave a heavy conditioner in my hair for a couple of days, until the next time I swim. I do this to keep the chlorine out-- I imagine it will keep the Baquicil off.

I, too, wanted to leave shampoo behind, but I just don't think it's possible to do that if you want to swim. Only shampoo gets those chemicals off or out, as far as I can tell. With what I'm doing right now, my hair is in great shape. And I'm someone who washes my hair no more than twice a week when I'm not swimming.

squiggyflop
July 30th, 2010, 10:54 AM
hmmm i think its time for a swim cap

glossyshine
July 30th, 2010, 01:03 PM
hmmm i think its time for a swim cap

I'm SO happpy to hear you say that! My campaign to bring back bathing caps is working!

The site below has an excellent selection. I just bought 3 caps from them, including a retro one with all over flowers!

http://www.swimoutlet.com/Default.asp