PDA

View Full Version : I have a frizz problem

admulcahy
July 29th, 2010, 09:54 PM
After I wash my hair, it is always very frizzy. But I've noticed that it's only the top hair that shows, not hidden/lower layers, they aren't usually super dry. I usually wash, condition(sometimes CWC), and then usually apply some jojoba oil. It isn't until the next day that I wake up, and my hair is completely normal looking! I don't understand why my hair does this.

Before when this would happen, I would straighten my hair to get rid of it, but I quit using heat so I'm just really frustrated. If anyone has any idea's on why this happens of how I could help my hair, I would really appreciate it.

Tabihito
July 29th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Have you considered washing with conditioner only? You say it's only after you wash, so it could be that your hair doesn't respond well to being stripped entirely of its natural oils, or it could be an issue with the SLS.

admulcahy
July 29th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Currently I'm not using anything with SLS, but my conditioner is full cones and other random things, so I may get something more natural. And for shampoo I use Dr. Bronners Castile Soap, and was under the impression that it is supposed to leave you with some natural oils still? But I may be wrong about that.

I think what confuses me most is that it's only frizzy on the top... That doesn't make any sense to me.

klcqtee
July 30th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Hm. Soaking my hair in EVOO for a few hours (usually 4 or 5) before washing eliminates frizz. When my hair is well moisturized it is frizz free. Damp bunning or braiding while wet also helps many times. You could also leave conditioner in your hair (just a little), as many of our curly heads find that it helps.

Jessica Trapp
July 30th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Aloe Vera gel helps mine.

dajanchen
July 30th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Have you considered trying another oil? Technically jojoba is a liquid wax not a oil. My hair doesn´t like jojoba at all. Maybe avocadooil or coconut oil works better for you hair?:)
You can try also washing with shampoo bars or conditioner only... I use shampoo bars for a year now and my hair is much less dry since then.

Blond Unicorn
July 30th, 2010, 03:09 AM
With the cones I'm not shure if the aloe is even able to penetrate your hair. I would have recommended an oil treatment for 2h before washing but if your hair is cones covered I'm not shure if it works.

Anje
July 30th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Frankly, I hate Dr. Bronner's as shampoo, and I doubt it's helping the frizz factor for you. The general consensus is that it's rather harsh for hair, for whatever reason.

I think for most folks, frizz indicates dryness. Frizz on the top layer of your hair isn't surprising, therefore, because this part (the canopy) gets exposed to a lot more of the world than the under layers. I'm going to suggest that you either try conditioner-only as per the LHC information on the subject, or go look at the Curly Girl method of hair care. This also advocates conditioner-only washing, but the method is a little different.

ETA: The other major cause of frizz is curly or wavy hairs that haven't been fitted into clumps that are all doing the same thing. Curlies get around this by only combing their hair when it's wet (and usually loaded with conditioner). Wet hair is more fragile, so one has to be careful combing it when wet, but if your hair texture likes to wrap around itself, the added slip makes combing wet easier.

ptnicole
July 30th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I have the same canopy frizz you are talking about. I have layers, which I love, but with past heat damage and since they are the most exposed part of my hair...they need TLC.

Since joining LHC, clarifying, going cone free CO and CWC on oily days my frizz is calm and has "laid down" to become the wavy part of my hair. I SMT once a week to help and put aloe vera over top layer after CO or CWC. Aloe really tames it.

elliebean184
July 30th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I sometimes get a lot of frizz on the canopy from old damage due to too-tight-ponytails and rough updos. I'd baby it with the fantastic ideas already suggested. If the frizzies seem to grow out, maybe you can be a little gentler to keep them at bay.

Bianca
July 30th, 2010, 01:37 PM
My hair does this too and It does it whether I use shampoo, pre oil or Co-wash. But it's only on the day that I wash, the next day it looks fine... Tell me if you find something that's eliminates it :D I'v tried everything.

admulcahy
July 30th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Thank you everyone for all the great ideas! I will have to start experimenting. And I will be sure to say something when I've tamed the first day frizz.