PDA

View Full Version : Hair Influences!

tcheney91
July 29th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I've created a monster! My mom is addicted to oiling her hair now. I told her for months and months that oiling would help her hair (and stopping the use of heat... but that's another battle). Well, she finally tried it, and now I can't pry my oils out of her paws! She's amazed that just oil can make such a difference. I made her say it... I made her say that I was right. haha, it was wonderful.

So I'm curious. Have any of you influenced friends, family or others with your hair care? Has anyone ever changed their routine because of your advice?

sarahbrownie
July 29th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I started to use only combs for my hair, before LHC I used a majority of brushes that I'm sure tore hair from my scalp. One day my mother asked why. Currently she's been having issues of hair thinning (she has MS and gone through several bouts of chemo, since then her hair has never been as thick or grew at a normal rate). Since I told her why my comb is always missing or placed somewhere else every morning.

lpsqt60
July 29th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I got my brother to use a tea tree oil on his scalp and to use a BBB, he has some flakes at times and this has really helped him so far, I'm trying to get him to CO to see if that will also help to moisturize his scalp. Now if only my husband would listen to me too :eyebrows:.

pepperminttea
July 29th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I try not to talk about hair IRL, apart from with people who already know I'm a bit strange, but I'm making a convert of my mother. :) She uses a tangle teezer now, as well as shampoo bars - and, drum roll please - conditioner! She didn't use any conditioner before, and now she says her hair's so much softer. I'm so proud. :D

tcheney91
July 29th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I'm so glad some of us can influence others! For the better, of course!

MissManda
July 29th, 2010, 08:10 PM
My sister came to visit me a few months ago and she stayed over at my house for the weekend, which was lovely. I remember when I got up in the morning, my sister was sitting on the couch (her temporary bed) and was complaining about how greasy her hair had become overnight.

I told her that I used to have the same problem as she did, but I had fixed this problem by the way I washed my hair. My sister (she's four and a half years younger than me) then asked me how I did that because she had to wash her hair every day. I then told her that I washed my hair twice a week.

Instead of being grossed out, she said without sarcasm, "You're so lucky! I wish I could do that!" I then explained about stretching washes and how it helped with my once-oily scalp. I warned her it would be kind of hard initially, but it was worth it. She seemed quite interested in stretching washes, which made me really happy. I have no idea if she's tried it yet (I doubt my grandmother would allow her to do that if she heard what I told my sister :eyebrows:), but she didn't react in the way I had expected.

I have also influenced my boyfriend in the ways of detangling in the shower with conditioner and a wide-tooth comb. I know he does this when he gets bad tangles now. He still doesn't understand CO and thinks it doesn't clean your hair. I think CO would be quite beneficial to his hair if he'd give it a chance. He's also tried cold water rinses, but he thinks they make his hair frizzy. Since it's summertime, he takes cold showers exclusively and his hair is now being quite tame, but I'm not gonna say anything... Ha ha.

My MIL likes the Flexi-8s I bought her for Christmas and I see her wearing them in her hair. She doesn't seem to use them for functional styles, but as docorations, though.

One of my acquaintances noticed one of my Facebook status updates saying I was hennaing my hair. He was surprised that I was using henna on my hair because he's only used it for tattoos. Two weeks later, he uploads a photo of his newly hennaed hair! Ha ha, I am increasing the hennahead army!

Another friend commented that my hennaed hair looks so much nicer than hair dyed with chemicals. She chemically dyes her hair, but now she wants to try henna someday, too!

So I guess I'm a pretty influential person. :D :cheese:

Tabihito
July 29th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I got my little sister to CO. It's a good thing... to an extent. Usually she showers at the natatorium, since she's swimming twice a day, but her team's on break right now since the big state-level meet just ended, so she's been using all my conditioner! Between the two of us, we went through a bottle of V05 in about five days. Thankfully the stuff is cheap, but wow! Of course, then I found out that she triple washes, so I'm going to have to break her of that habit. We've both got fine hair, mine a bit short of APL and hers a bit past it, so it's not like either of us had waist-length hair to use it all up on.

And I think my mom's starting to consider it. She tried to tell me at first that using oil on my hair was "disgusting and dirty", and said the same of CO washing. This morning she asked if she could borrow my coconut oil. :cheese:

PiroskaCicu
July 29th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I've influenced my brother a lot- who is a long hair. His hair is waist-length and about 3a or 3b. It can be very curly, and nearly IMPOSSIBLE to de-tangle. One time he complained to me that his hair is so frizzy. I suggested that he does CO instead of shampoo and this has worked miracles for him. His hair is much softer, shinier and less tangled (although it's never truly untangled, lol). I also suggested that he stop trying to "tame" his hair with all of the combing- for his type of hair this just damages it. He listened! :).

tcheney91
July 29th, 2010, 09:06 PM
These are all awesome stories! I felt so triumphant when she came downstairs and meekly asked to borrow my oil... again. I couldn't help but laugh. She was SO adamant against using oil... and now I can't get her to stop!

Quezie
July 30th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I have my mom almost convinced to become a hennahead. She already has red hair, so. :b

And my sister is always complaining to me that she has dry hair! I've tried to tell her things she could do to fix it, but she doesn't listen.

Synthemesc
July 30th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Was talking to my mum about CO washing about a week ago, a few days later she comes to me and says "that CO thing is rubbish! I just tried it and my hair is still dirty!". She had tried to use the conditioner just like shampoo, it was about then I explained it had to be left on for a while. :D

freckles
July 30th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I haven't been very influential. DBF, one of my male best friends, and my sister all love my tangle teezers and borrow them constantly, but none of them have bought their own yet. None of my other hair-care stuff has rubbed off on anyone. :shrug:

Over the time I've been growing my hair, though, my sister has come around from thinking it's far too long and is actually now liking longer hair. She's mentioned that she might grow it, and might even grow out her natural colour (I haven't seen her natural colour since she was 12, she's nearly 18 now). But then, she also just bleached her previously-dyed hair 6 tones lighter at home, and said she might get some extensions instead of growing, so, :shrug:

cm006j
July 30th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I've created a monster! My mom is addicted to oiling her hair now. I told her for months and months that oiling would help her hair (and stopping the use of heat... but that's another battle). Well, she finally tried it, and now I can't pry my oils out of her paws! She's amazed that just oil can make such a difference. I made her say it... I made her say that I was right. haha, it was wonderful.

So I'm curious. Have any of you influenced friends, family or others with your hair care? Has anyone ever changed their routine because of your advice?

My friend started talking about trimming two inches of her hair for split-end reasons. I told her her hair was not as bad off as she thinks and sent her a long list of advice that I gathered from here! I'm hoping she'll stick with it and grow long with me. She's already nearing waist without really thinking about it, but in the past she has always cut back to shoulder when she reaches this length. Her hair is wavy and frizzes more than mine, so she takes that as damage, but I'm pretty convinced that it isn't. I gave her a bottle of Amla oil too.

BelleBot
July 30th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I've influenced my brother and boyfriend quite a bit.

My boyfriend has tailbone length curly hair and now asks me to oil it and braid to for him to keep it protected. I also do deep conditioning treatments on him the same time as me, and he's now ditched his nasty brushes and uses my wooden combs and stolen my tangle teezer! He's also experimenting with CO washing.

My little brother works in a hairdressers as a saturday job so has taken an interest in all things hair. I'm constantly being asked about what I do to my hair, and then he goes back and tells people at the salon as what I do is completely different to anyone at the hairdressers. He's also known to nick a handful of whatever treatment I'm making up or a handful of henna to shove on his hair. Strange boy, his chunk of henna has grown and been cut out now as he keeps his hair relatively short.

My youngest step brother has taken an interest in honey lightening since his step mum turned his naturally blonde hair slightly ginger. My mum has also taken an interest in CO washing having seen the change in my hair, but I'll doubt she'll do it herself.

Kristin
July 30th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I've gotten my mom to use forks (one I gave her as a gift and one she begged me for as it was about to be swapped) and wooden combs. I bought her a bottle of jojoba oil, but she doesn't really use it for her hair. I've been desperately trying to convince her to use coconut oil, but to no avail. She is more interested in updos and asks me to braid her hair every time I see her. :)

longblondetan
July 30th, 2010, 09:27 AM
when i started studying for cosmetology, my mom went crazy making me find out things she wanted to know about hair for her.

kmoc123
July 30th, 2010, 09:28 AM
MY GUY is growing his gorgeous silver hair out...he is at BSL (he doesn't like that term...lol) but he is careful about his hair car...it is a really GOOD thing...his hair is really pretty!! lol...another manly term...

tcheney91
July 30th, 2010, 09:29 AM
She is more interested in updos and asks me to braid her hair every time I see her. :)

That's another thing! I've suddenly become the resident hair stylist for all my friends and family. My mom will quietly come in to my room in the morning and hold out a few Good Hair Days pins (which I also convinced her to buy) and ask me shyly to do her hair. I need to teach her one of these days...

BrightEyes
July 30th, 2010, 10:25 AM
My mom has thick, coarse, curly hair (I inherited my Dad's fine and thin hair... thanks Pops!). She's always had problems with dryness and frizz, so I explained the CO method to her.

I had some bottles of Suave conditioner from my failed attempt at CO, so I gave them to her. A couple months later I saw her again and her hair was so soft and practically frizz free! COing has made such a difference on her hair!

I also gave her some coconut oil, but she hasn't used much of it yet. Oh well. Her hair is so much prettier now that she's COing, so I'm happy I could help her out.

schiele
July 30th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I got my brother to use coconut oil! His hair is significantly curlier than mine (Mine is like 2c/3a with some 3b underneath, his is majority 3c with some 3b) and he never uses conditioner, just a 2-in-1 conditioner/shampoo thing with sulfates. I kept telling him he needed moisture, especially with his hair type, and I guess he finally caved in and bought some because I saw a huge jar of pure, virgin coconut oil in his bathroom the other day.

SpinDance
July 30th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I've been doing my part by spreading Flexi's both as gifts and by word of mouth, and when people show an interest in either long hair or updo's sending them to search the internet and check out LHC if that seems like the thing to mention. :D I replaced all the combs in the house with bone, horn or wooden ones, too, except for my DH's brush, which he basically only uses when he gets out of the shower to detangle (shudders). I've also given horn or wooden combs or forks as gifts a few times. Oh, and some short metal chopsticks.

One of my friends at work has been using oil on her ends for about 9 months now after I'd mentioned that I was having good luck with oils. Her hair is shinier and seems to be healthier, although she's always taken good care of her hair.

You never know how a passing comment will take root and change someone's life!

amoredidanza
July 30th, 2010, 05:50 PM
My number 1 hair influence is Amy Lee... I've wanted her hair for about 5 years.