PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for APL length hair?

GlassButrFly
July 29th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew of a list of hairstyles that could be done with APL hair? Or if there's not a compiled list, could we get a list going here?

It gets boring to always wear your hair either down or in a ponytail. Can you use hairsticks at APL? I've seen some absolutely beautiful ones in the Accessories board.

Thanks!:)

Centaur
July 29th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I'd be interested in this as well.:)

Octave
July 29th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Oh I'm in the same boat. See so many lovely hairstyles for LONG haired girls, but nothing that could possibly work with my length.

It's the regular cinnabun and french braid I have to work with for now, even then my hair still sticks out from it and I don't even have layers. Can't wait to have longer hair

Ravenne
July 29th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I have hair somewhere between apl and bsl but I could use hairsticks from a little before apl. If you have thicker hair, I think hairsticks may be more of a problem, but I have a 3" ponytail and can do a small cinnamon bun, a somewhat pitiful infinity bun, single and double french/dutch braids as well as english braids (though my "bangs" are just too short to stay back in them. Can't wait till I can put it all back into an english!). Lace braids are great if you're growing out bangs, like I am. Relatively easy too, I think.

GlassButrFly
July 29th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I have hair somewhere between apl and bsl but I could use hairsticks from a little before apl. If you have thicker hair, I think hairsticks may be more of a problem, but I have a 3" ponytail and can do a small cinnamon bun, a somewhat pitiful infinity bun, single and double french/dutch braids as well as english braids (though my "bangs" are just too short to stay back in them. Can't wait till I can put it all back into an english!). Lace braids are great if you're growing out bangs, like I am. Relatively easy too, I think.

My hair can barely form a pitiful little bun, and I have layers that fall out of it. It's been years since I've had hair this long, much less my goal length, so I'm very out of practice. I have been doing the lace braid to keep my bangs out of my face until they grow out some. I get some hairs poking out at the top, but its nothing a little gel can't tackle.

I just wish there were styles that were easily obtained with APL hair. It's such a frustrating transition time.

christine1989
July 29th, 2010, 11:46 PM
My hair is just beyond APL and I can do a pencil bun just fine and it holds well so you should be able to create styles with hairsticks. I can't do good braids yet but I can achieve a good sock bun when wet.

klcqtee
July 30th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Okay, there have been a whole lot of threads on this recently. When my hair was APL, with long layers, I made a challenge where I would wear a different hair style every day for a month. In my journal I made a list of all the updos I could do at the time, so hopefully you'll find some that work for you: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=55759

Bluegrass Babe
July 30th, 2010, 11:51 AM
The two go to stlyes for me were the Lazy Wrap Bun by Savi and the Cheater's Easy Hairstick Bun by AngelInDisguise.
I lived in these.

I had typed several styles to try but for some reason my post disappeared before posting.:(

My advice: Go to articles section and spend the weekend looking at the hairstyles. If something catches your eye, look at it! Some give instructions for shorter or longer hair. Keep in mind that the thicker your ponytail, the longer length it will need to be for some styles. (This really confused me at first. - It's because the twists/loops aren't as small as with a thinner tail.)

Try the styles out even if you aren't sure they are for your length! When you are actually doing them you will figure out how to do things a little differently for your hair. Again, some will give variations for slightly different looks with same "base" style. (Neatness will come later, don't worry about it now.)

Another thing to remember is that your ends don't need to be tucked in! Lean/curl them to one side or fan them out peacock style. This works with tons of styles. (Look at my avatar as an example)

The cheater's hairstick is very adaptable. I used a decorated pony elastic with the jewelry part on top of the pony, and hair pulled thru so that end of the tail is straight up the back of the head (when I tried this I had only 2 inches out of the elastic). That hair is fanned out like peacock feathers and looks very fancy but it is super quick and easy.

Bluegrass Babe
July 30th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Here is example of the cheater's bun. Pardon the messiness.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5948&pictureid=78148
My pony tail is a little low. Where you put yours will depend on your length and layers. Keep all layers in the pony base. My ends are about 7 inches now! I pinned them up so you get an idea of how I was talking about arranging them but when I snapped the picture the peacock fan tipped over! ETA: Your ends should fan out above the loops like they do in the picture below.

Now I'm thinking about putting my loops high and having the tail hang below in curls or a braid...

Here is the Lazy Wrap Bun by savi:
http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Bluegrass-Babe/nikonpics020.jpg Again, high or low ponytail depends on your length/layers. I almost never tuck in my ends because they don't stay with out a pin. And I think it looks a little more fun with wispies out!

Bluegrass Babe
July 30th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Here's another one! The Woven Bun by Isilya.
fairytalegirl was able to do it with APL hair. Give it a try and let me know if it worked.

Kathie
July 30th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Here is the Lazy Wrap Bun by savi:
http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Bluegrass-Babe/nikonpics020.jpg Again, high or low ponytail depends on your length/layers. I almost never tuck in my ends because they don't stay with out a pin. And I think it looks a little more fun with wispies out!
I agree! I really like this style with the ends out like that- in a year or so :pray: I'll give it a go!

Pixna
July 30th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I've been doing a Pencil Bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34) since my hair was SL. I intend to continue wearing a Pencil Bun even when my hair reaches TB length and beyond! :D

GlassButrFly
July 30th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Okay, there have been a whole lot of threads on this recently. When my hair was APL, with long layers, I made a challenge where I would wear a different hair style every day for a month. In my journal I made a list of all the updos I could do at the time, so hopefully you'll find some that work for you: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=55759

Thanks klcqtee! I'll look through those and give them a try. :)

The two go to stlyes for me were the Lazy Wrap Bun by Savi and the Cheater's Easy Hairstick Bun by AngelInDisguise.
I lived in these.

I had typed several styles to try but for some reason my post disappeared before posting.:(

My advice: Go to articles section and spend the weekend looking at the hairstyles. If something catches your eye, look at it! Some give instructions for shorter or longer hair. Keep in mind that the thicker your ponytail, the longer length it will need to be for some styles. (This really confused me at first. - It's because the twists/loops aren't as small as with a thinner tail.)

Try the styles out even if you aren't sure they are for your length! When you are actually doing them you will figure out how to do things a little differently for your hair. Again, some will give variations for slightly different looks with same "base" style. (Neatness will come later, don't worry about it now.)

Another thing to remember is that your ends don't need to be tucked in! Lean/curl them to one side or fan them out peacock style. This works with tons of styles. (Look at my avatar as an example)

The cheater's hairstick is very adaptable. I used a decorated pony elastic with the jewelry part on top of the pony, and hair pulled thru so that end of the tail is straight up the back of the head (when I tried this I had only 2 inches out of the elastic). That hair is fanned out like peacock feathers and looks very fancy but it is super quick and easy.

Thanks Bluegrass Babe! I wasn't able to do the Lazy Wrap Bun, either my hair isn't quite long enough yet, or its too thick. But the Cheater's Hairstick Bun I can do. :)

Here's another one! The Woven Bun by Isilya.
fairytalegirl was able to do it with APL hair. Give it a try and let me know if it worked.
Ah! This is gorgeous! I just now tried it, and I am very impressed... here's a pic:
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/2823/photo0379m.jpg (http://img810.imageshack.us/i/photo0379m.jpg/)

The head is a bit slanted, so that might be throwing it off, but it looks as though all the ends are ending on the left side.... maybe because of my layers? I'll have to mess around with it, maybe start pinning them sooner, but I really like it.
Now this was done on day-old scrunched hair, and it was done with a pen and a refillable pencil, because I do not own any hairsticks. This will have to be remedied soon. lol But I think it turned out nice under the circumstances. I want to try it with fresh hair and see how it looks then. Thanks for suggesting this! :D

I've been doing a Pencil Bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34) since my hair was SL. I intend to continue wearing a Pencil Bun even when my hair reaches TB length and beyond! :D
Thanks Pixna! I tried the Pencil Bun at your suggestion, and I can just barely do it... I think because of how thick my hair is. I might have better luck if it was damp. I'll try it a few times and see. :)

Pixna
July 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks Pixna! I tried the Pencil Bun at your suggestion, and I can just barely do it... I think because of how thick my hair is. I might have better luck if it was damp. I'll try it a few times and see. :)

Oops! I forgot to mention, when hair is shorter, you need to use just two or three fingers, NOT your whole hand (like she does in the video). As your hair gets more length, you can use more fingers. But don't try the whole hand now or you won't be able to do it. Hope that helps!!!

Bluegrass Babe
July 30th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Kathie, I bet you could do it now. Many of the styles suggested can be done as half-ups. It may not get all the hair off your neck, but you'll get practice for when it does.

Wait... it's cool in NZ now right? Well, no worries! Your neck will be warm! It's hotter than blue blazes here and we're trying to keep cool! :p

GlassButrFly - That's great! Your shiny red locks are rockin'!
It is a little easier to do closer to wash day than right after. I oil the heck out of mine before I do this style so it is usually my "I-didn't-have-time-to-shampoo-this-morning" style.

Those with thicker hair will need more length. If that's the case, try it half-up.

GlassButrFly
July 30th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Oops! I forgot to mention, when hair is shorter, you need to use just two or three fingers, NOT your whole hand (like she does in the video). As you hair gets more length, you can use more fingers. But don't try the whole hand now or you won't be able to do it. Hope that helps!!!

That does help. I tried it again with two fingers, and it turned out better... didn't really look much like the video, but it did hold, so that works. :)

Kathie, I bet you could do it now. Many of the styles suggested can be done as half-ups. It may not get all the hair off your neck, but you'll get practice for when it does.

Wait... it's cool in NZ now right? Well, no worries! Your neck will be warm! It's hotter than blue blazes here and we're trying to keep cool! :p

GlassButrFly - That's great! Your shiny red locks are rockin'!
It is a little easier to do closer to wash day than right after. I oil the heck out of mine before I do this style so it is usually my "I-didn't-have-time-to-shampoo-this-morning" style.

Those with thicker hair will need more length. If that's the case, try it half-up.
Thanks! :D I hadn't thought of trying these styles in a half-up.

I can't wait till my bangs get longer so I can pin them back without them looking like they're poking out of my head.

Bluegrass Babe
July 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM
klcqtee -
I think your hair would look stunning the Rag Bun done reishka's way! Have you done a scarf style yet?

If anyone's hair is long enough to make a ponytail about 6 inches or 15 cm please give it a try. It may work to keep all the layers in. Your bun just won't be as huge! :p

For those that tried some styles and braids and found layers and odd bits sticking out - try oiling. I'll admit when I first found this site a year ago and read that people were not just using a drop for frizz control but actually slathering it on, I thought it was weird and gross! :o But not now! Just get one that you think smells nice. I don't use the premium virgin first pressed olive oil for that reason. I get the nearly clear stuff. Coconut oil smells nice. Look in articles section. There is list of different oils and their benefits.

missfortune9335
July 30th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I have APL hair, and I do loads of stuff with it

*regular bun (you know where you just wrap in around and pin it or use a stick)
*small infinity bun
*rope braid bun
*french braid
*tucked under french braid
*herringbone braid
*sock bun
*up and held with a slide back barrette from bronze jewelrs http://www.bronzejewelers.com/slide-ba.htm
*sponge roller curls in a half up twist held with a hair claw
*lace braids on sides of head with a loose knot in back
that's all I can think of off the top of my head, my hair is quite fine so I don't know if it would be more of a challange at this length for people with thick hair but I find it very easy to do lots of different things with the length I have now

jeanniet
July 30th, 2010, 06:28 PM
GlassButrfly, I have thick hair, too. Try doing the Pencil bun using just one finger. It takes a little practice, but I was able to do a pretty good one at about APL or just a tad longer with one finger. I'm on the way to BSL and haven't gotten to two fingers yet. You might also try a hairstick bun (where you twist the stick). Any kind of a twist updo holds like a rock for me if I use a Ficarre.