PDA

View Full Version : Who else is trying to increase thickness?

rhubarbarin
May 17th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I couldn't find a comparable thread.. hope there isn't one hiding somewhere.

I know a lot of people here long to have thicker hair than they do (and some want thinner, wish we could trade). So I thought it might be helpful to have one big 'thickening' thread and have everyone discuss techniques, and hopefully progress.

I'd also love to hear from people who have sucessfully grown more hairs (or stopped them from breaking off short, whichever). Emichee I'm looking at you..

So, my nape ponytail is 2.75" when it's greasy and compressed as hard as I can. On top of my head, with my bang/short layer included, it's exactly 3". So I hope to be able to push it somewhere over 3" at nape in the next couple years. I also seem to have a lot of new growth, probably because I'm on a high-fat, high-calorie diet right now.

As far as supplements - I keep on saying I'm going to start a regimen, but haven't yet! I swear I'm going to this week. I'm going to try pre-natal vitamins, and maybe biotin.

And of course I have a lot of damage and breakage. My hair seems to get brittle and snap off instead of splitting. So I am focusing on wearing it up as much as possible, using my hair fork since I feel like it's better for my hair than elastics and bobby pins.

n3m3sis42
May 17th, 2008, 08:49 AM
*raises hand*

I have always had fine-ish hair, but there used to be a LOT of it. I think there is a lot less now. I'm sure that part of it is due to being in my thirties now, but I think I also broke off a lot of hair when I was first doing my no-poo washing routine (which I don't do anymore, but did like once I got used to it). At first, I had no clue how to detangle my hair correctly, and so it suffered a LOT of breakage.

I also think it was weaker at that point in time due to SLS and -cones, which do not seem to play nice with my hair. Over the past 15 months (since I cut out SLS and -cones, became a henna-head, invested in a horn comb, and then finally began consistently night-braiding), my hair has become stronger and appears to be breaking much less frequently. I have a good bit of halo and some pseudo-bangs that I am hoping to grow out over time.

Peggy E.
May 17th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I, too, had very thick hair "back in the day," but the combination of medication and advancing age have done a real job on my poor hair. It seems really thin, to me, but I'm comparing it to what it had been and not really admitting to the fact that it is still not "thin!"

What I've been considering is trimming off the few (and I do mean FEW!) really long, straggly hairs and begin to work at growing a nice, thick(er) hem line. But the last time I "trimmed" was for the same purpose, and I ended up cutting something like 9" off and have finally gotten to the place where I'm beyond that previous before-trim length. I'm afraid the same thing will happen, and I don't want to go through it again.

It also has me wondering, as even with that big a chop, my hemline did not thicken up, nor did my overall hair thicken up appreciably - or noticeably, as far as that goes. It may well be that my hair is what it's going to be and that is that!

I'll be anxious to see what happens here, if there are some good ideas posted to help out. Thanks for starting this thread!

Meli
May 17th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I'm one of those people who had lots and lots of breakage before LHC. I found that it was 'cones and sulfates that made my hair brittle enough to just snap off. I was rough in my handling, too, but without the brittleness from the 'cones I would have had less breakage from the handling. When I first measured my ponytail, (late December, I think) I averaged just above 3". Lately I have got measurements between 3.5 and 3.75 inches - and I still have a bunch of broken hairs that don't yet fit in my ponytail. I doubt I will make it to iii, but I can dream... Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=557&pictureid=10704) is a picture where the difference in thickness is visible.

I have also noticed that my hair gets thicker and fuller when I don't wash away too much sebum. I have found that WO works very well for me - it not only makes my hair thicker, but also wavier, stronger and less split-prone. Recently, I got the (stupid) idea to give CO a fair try, as I had only done occasional CO-washes before. It didn't work very good, my hair got dryer and frizzier after each wash, so I decided to go back to WO. Anyway, I washed my hair with shampoo after the CO-experiment, just in case there was something in the conditioner that wouldn't go away with WO. My hair got completely stripped off all natural oils. The individual strands feels babyfine now, and when I measured my ponytail, it averaged about 1/4" less than usual... I can't wait until my hair recovers. It seems to take time, though - today is DD5 and still no sign of greasies...

I have tried cassia, too, and it seems beneficial. I have been thinking that some of the recent loss in thickness could be from cassia-effects washed away, but I think it sounds unlikely than ONE shampooing would wash away multiple cassia-treatments. Well, we'll see...

girlcat36
May 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Also trying to gain thickness! While I am trying to avoid cutting my hair, microtrims seem to be inevitable. I like fairy tale ends, but the short length at which I start to fairy tale is ridiculous. So I microtim the longest ends every couple of months, and S&D the rest every so often.
Cones also make my hair break, I have been cone free for 18 months and this had made a difference.
I have had an increase in thickness since joining LHC.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/hairdownpic-1-1.jpg?t=1211038670Aug 2007

Katze
May 17th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I'm another one.

Stylists always told me my hair would never be long, because it is so fine and thin. Well, as it grows, longer than it's ever been, I realize that this isn't true.

When I joined LHC I had the same wispy, fairytale-y, tapered 5-6 inches between chin and just-past-shoulder that I now do between APL and BSL. I've been trimming several times a year, taking off between 1 cm and 2 inches at a time, trying to get rid of a severely V-shaped hemline and let my layers catch up.

Stopping the bleach and the heat (except for occasional cold-weather blowdryer assist to prevent earaches) is really helping.

Getting rid of the layers - the shortest are still around nape-length - is really helping. I haven't measured for thickness in a while, but last time I did my hair was twice as thick as it was when I joined LHC - maybe 2.4 inches in circumference. This fall saw MASSIVE shedding, so I have been afraid to measure.

One thing I realized when playing with BF's hair (he's my braid-practice doll) is that although his hair is MUCH thicker than mine, when it's braided, or otherwise contained, it LOOKS thin, because it's fine.

Sometimes when I look around I get really jealous of peoples' thick hemlines (I could have one now at shoulder, if I wanted to cut) and wrist-thick braids and "hair too thick for such-and-such hairtoy", not to mention the kind of hair that has WEIGHT and HEFT to it (an acquaintance of mine, also a hair nerd, whose hair falls like satin, *whump*, on her back) instead of just wisps and floating. But hey, then I think of my minimal, or blonde, body hair, and I guess it's just part of the genetic lottery.

Sally
May 17th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I'm another one. I think that the things I've learned here at LHC definitely have given me healthier hair. But I think the only thing that ever has affected its actual thickness is minoxidil, which reduces loss. I had used it regularly between 1997 and 2004, and then got blase about it, thinking that the improvements in my hair were due to other things. So I stopped. That fall I had a truly massive shed, going down to a circumf under 2". The difference was easily noticeable. I persevered til the fall of 2005, when I resumed minoxidil. It takes a long time to really show an effect, and it's only recently that I'd say for sure that it has improved. My circumf now is a little over 2". I'll never go off it again. They'll be rubbing it onto my scalp in the nursing home, if I've got any say. :luke:

Elainehali
May 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I would like thicker hair. =P It's already pretty thick but I find the more hair I have the more I can do with it.

Hair greed I guess.

Unnamed
May 17th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Well, I'm not really doing anything specifically to thicken mine, although I'm hoping it will...eventually!

I had a lot of damage, so from about hip on down my hair drops a ton in thickness--every single hair past that point is broken, and so hairs shed out a bit randomly. Then, 3 years ago I lost half my hair, which really thinned that out. A year ago I started gaining some of that hair back, but I've been shedding pretty good since last July again.

Once I can get the hypothyroidism treated, I'd love for some of the thickness to come back! I'd love to be back to 2.75" or so, from when I joined LHC (it was hitting around 2.875" with a couple 3" right before the big shed which started about 6 months after I joined). But until the health issues are 'fixed' I think it's just a matter of waiting--as there's nothing that can be done to prevent it that I'm aware.

My hair has been much thinner in the past, though, and for me (other than shedding) mechanical damage is the big thing. Fixing/changing those things are what's helped the most. The two biggest things for me were/are: Comb only--NO brushing, and braiding at night.

Guenever
May 17th, 2008, 05:23 PM
When I joined back in 2006 I had a 2,75" pony. Now I'm at 3,2"
I got a 3,55" measurement a few days back but it was on a wash day.. so a bit cheat as my hair's always more voluminous on those days..

So a 0,45" increase since I joined.. hoping/wishing for more :redgrin:

kwaniesiam
May 17th, 2008, 05:51 PM
*raises hand*

I lost a lot of hair from hypothyroidism in the past few years, I never measured before but I guess I went from just under 3" down to 1.5-1.75" right now. I'm expecting to see a lot of new growth since I've finally gotten my medication for it straightened out. Hopefully I'll be able to get to at least 2.5". I would be happy with that, for sure :)

Indigo Girl
May 17th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I am trying to increase thickness too.

I'm not sure of the circumference, but besides my hair being incredibly thin, it also is prone to breakage/split ends easily.

Some of the things I do that have helped thicken my hair up are: cassia once a month; *always* braid for sleep; and washing it every 2-3 days instead of every day.

I'm thinking of bumping my cassia routine up to twice a month since it helps my hair so much. I'd also like to start taking a supplement.

My hair has improved since I joined LHC, everything I mentioned above I picked up here. :)

Legend
May 18th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I need some thickness, too. I used to have wonderful thick hair, but as I've aged, my hair has gotten thinner and thinner. I take iron supplements to combat anemia and that seemed to help stabalize the hair loss, but I'm looking for more gains in thickness.

Gothic Lolita
May 18th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I have enough thickness in general, but my hair is layered and I want it to be the same thickness all over.

chotee
May 18th, 2008, 05:47 AM
My hair was all layered when i joined LHC in 2005, then little by little i removed all my layers and it looked like my hair grew thicker over the years. Recently, i had my last 4" of old hair which was still very thin in the bottom. Ofcourse, i don't think i can ever get the thickness i had before when i was young but i think with right supplements and good amount of protein in the diet one can achieve a fair amount of thickness for the hair. My favourites for thickness are Yogurt, liver, eggs, spinach, kelp, Fish(fresh water is better), food with iodine like brinjals, plums etc, brewers yeast, sesame seeds or sunflower seeds and ofcourse flaxseeds....also a good hair vitamin does help. It did for me. But i do give gaps when i take them. One of the best for hair thickness is applying castor oil once a week. Warm it in a cup in microwave and apply and massage the scalp alone. Leave it on for a night and wash it with a hair mask like henna, eggs etc for half an hour or so. It definetely makes hair stronger and thicker. My other favourite is Shikakai herb which when used i find a def improvement. Also, the lesser i wash, the thicker it grows. now i atleast give a 3 to 4 day gap inbetween my washes. I want to give a week but with my exercises and humid tropical weather i don't think its a good idea. Plus i try to keep it in a braid all the time unless i am really bored of looking at myself in the mirror. Its now 4" at the nape and tapers gradually down.

chotee

MermaidGirl
May 18th, 2008, 12:12 PM
*Flails arm wildly in the back of the class* Me, me, me, me, me! I'd love to have thicker/more hair! I've got some breakage along my length that needs to grow out, and a little patch of thinning near one of my temples which I think may be stress or hormone induced. I have an appointment at the end of this month with an endocrinologist to check all my levels and see if there's anything that can be improved so I'm hoping for some answers.

I have reduced the amount of times a year I get my hair colored/highlighted, and I've also stretched my washes out so I go a day or two between, though today its been three days since I've washed. I'm also reducing my blow-frying. I aim a floor fan at the back of my head when I get out of the shower and am putting on my makeup so it mostly dries my hair, and then I'm using the blowfryer only on warm (not hot) to remove the bulk of any moisture left from the floor fan (but not drying to bone dry) and finishing with cold air. I want to do more conditioning treatments and am intersted in cassia. Also, I plan on taking supplements (biotin, silica, hair vitamin, MSM, etc.) after I see the doctor. Lastly, scalp treatments are something I'm interested in and would love to know more about Indian herbs because I know there are some that are supposed to treat hair fall.

... But I think the only thing that ever has affected its actual thickness is minoxidil, which reduces loss. I had used it regularly between 1997 and 2004, and then got blase about it, thinking that the improvements in my hair were due to other things. So I stopped. That fall I had a truly massive shed, going down to a circumf under 2". The difference was easily noticeable. I persevered til the fall of 2005, when I resumed minoxidil. It takes a long time to really show an effect, and it's only recently that I'd say for sure that it has improved. ...

This interests me greatly, Sally, because as I said, I am considering scalp treatments in an effort to get more hair. How long does it take to actually show that its working? And what type of Minoxidol to you use? The kind for women or men? Off-brand or actual Minoxidol? What is your treatment schedule like? Sorry for all the questions, but I am truly interested. Will have to also see what the doctor says about that patch of hair loss I have - maybe she will recommend Minoxidol to me?

I am trying to increase thickness too.

I'm not sure of the circumference, but besides my hair being incredibly thin, it also is prone to breakage/split ends easily.

Some of the things I do that have helped thicken my hair up are: cassia once a month; ...

Indigo Girl, I think you may want to actually measure your circumference. By looking at your avatar picture, I'm thinking your hair doesn't look "incredibly thin" at all and probably is not a (i) - it really looks like its at least an (ii). I have what I call fine, thin hair though my stylist always says I "have fine hair, but a lot of it," but regardless of what she says, I thought for sure I was a (i) and never even bothered to measure. One night sitting here reading LHC, I decided to actually do the hair typing (hairtyping link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5) vs. just guessing at what I had on my head. I grabbed a tape measure and found out I actually have more hair than I thought! (Which was the inspiration for this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3601) I was sure I had about a 1 inch ponytail! and was a (i) but I'm actually solidly in the (ii) category with 3-1/2 in. circumference.

Also, a question for you Indigo Girl, do you do cassia treatments for coloring as well as conditioning? I love your hair color! My stylist colors/highlights my hair and it costs and arm and a leg when she does, so I'm not interested at all in changing my color, but I've been reading the cassia thread with great interest and am wondering how one goes about using cassia for the thickening/conditioning benefits without changing the color. Any hints?

morgwn
May 18th, 2008, 12:44 PM
My stylist colors/highlights my hair and it costs and arm and a leg when she does, so I'm not interested at all in changing my color, but I've been reading the cassia thread with great interest and am wondering how one goes about using cassia for the thickening/conditioning benefits without changing the color. Any hints?

I've been discussing a similar issue on the Honey Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148); I don't want cassia to darken my hair and wouldn't mind a lighter head of hair, either. Basically, ktani wrote that acid releases the dye part of the cassia, so nothing acidic should be used for liquids to mix with the cassia. Further, the cassia shouldn't be left any time before putting it on the hair and the cassia shouldn't be left on too awfully long. I know also that you can use honey in the mixture without it lightening your hair with microwaving it for about 30 seconds first. But ktani may be able to help you more with that question if you post in it that thread. :)

MermaidGirl
May 18th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Morgwn, you RULE! Thanks so much for the information and for pointing me to the honey thread. I will check it out and hope to get some good information there.

morgwn
May 18th, 2008, 01:55 PM
No prob, MermaidGirl. I hope that you do get to find the right way to use the cassia to get the effects you're looking for. I can vouch from recent experience that it definitely does thicken up the hair. I know that it's not all the cassia (as I've been babying my hair with always keeping it an updo for about half a year now and am also taking a good hair vitamin and brewer's yeast), but my hair has recently gone up in ponytail circumference by nearly an inch. I know that increase is definitely in part to the cassia.

Haldir
May 18th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Great thread! I've been trying to increase my hair thickness for a long time... my hair's pretty unhealthy nowadays, so I guess I'll be stalking this thread and trying to find some sort of remedy for this. :)

julya
May 18th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I had a massive shed recently, lasted about two months or so and I went from a 4.25" to a 3.25" ponytail. I'm hoping to regain some of my thickness back, but mostly I'm just trying to learn how to work with thinner hair. Dividing sections for braids is so different now, and I'm having a harder time with the cinnamon bun too.

I'm trying out WO to slow down or stop my shed and I have noticed a difference. I also started taking biotin and a multivitamin at about the same time, so hard to say what is helping. I'm interested in trying cassia as well, as the conditioning benefits sound wonderful!

buttons
May 18th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Me! The combination of all the damaging stuff I used to do to my hair (bleach, dye, heat-styling, etc.) made my ends really thin. The top is good, though, cause most of it is virgin and I'm not messing with it. I'm mini-trimming every few months. I'm also on a new vitamin regimen (kelp, MSM, biotin, silica, evening primrose oil, omega-3 and I'm adding spirulina in soon) to combat shedding and hopefully help with overall health.
I can't wait to see results :D

Jostar
May 18th, 2008, 02:58 PM
oh me too, please please me!. My ends are so thin its untrue. My hair is very fine anyway - particularly at the front too so i am keen to find anything that might improve the straggle and reduce the breakage. i am having a trim (2" is going!) next week so it seems like a good time to start. I seem to shed a great deal so would love to find something to stop that too. Oh I want the moon on a stick!

i am doing the wearing it up challenge for a month to see if that makes a difference.

Leisa
May 18th, 2008, 03:56 PM
When I joined back in 2006 I had a 2,75" pony. Now I'm at 3,2"
I got a 3,55" measurement a few days back but it was on a wash day.. so a bit cheat as my hair's always more voluminous on those days..

So a 0,45" increase since I joined.. hoping/wishing for more :redgrin:

Guenever - would you mind telling us what you have done sinse joining LHC that has helped you to thicken your hair?:)

Indigo Girl
May 18th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Also, a question for you Indigo Girl, do you do cassia treatments for coloring as well as conditioning? I love your hair color! My stylist colors/highlights my hair and it costs and arm and a leg when she does, so I'm not interested at all in changing my color, but I've been reading the cassia thread with great interest and am wondering how one goes about using cassia for the thickening/conditioning benefits without changing the color. Any hints?

Hi MermaidGirl ~

First off, you were right! I measured my hair again, it's definitely a ii, will update profile. I guess some of my techniques have worked, because it used to be much thinner.

I do not do cassia for color, this is my natural color. And thank you! :flower:

The only thing cassia does for me is thicken my hair - it does not affect color at all. I use Rainbow brand (from Whole Foods), and add jojoba oil. I leave on anywhere from 1 - 1 1/2 hours, then rinse out, shampoo the scalp, condition, and avc rinse (cold water for acv). Works wonderfully every time.

Good Luck!

Morag
May 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I"m doing scalp massage and flirting heavily with WO. I'm into my second week of WO, and no greasies. My hair does not have that extremely clean slippery feeling I had with CO, but it doesn't feel dirty, either, and it feels more - what can I say? More solid? More present? More firm? The roots seem to have developed more "spring", so although my hair is not actually thicker, it looks thicker because it is not limp against my head.

I'm vacillating about using henna gloss on a regular basis. I like the color I got last time, and the conditioner definitely kept the henna from drying my hair. I know that henna thickens and strengthens, but I wonder if the conditioner might strip sebum. Does anybody know if I can do both henna and WO at the same time?

rhubarbarin
May 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Wow lots of replies!

I have a question about breakage from sleeping.. I sleep with my hair down, I don't move much at night and my hair doesn't really tangle. If I'm not getting tangles in the length, do I have to worry about breakage there? I think my head rubbing against my pillow would cause more, and braiding/bunning isn't going to help that. I have a silk pillowcase anyway.

Sally
May 19th, 2008, 02:37 PM
This interests me greatly, Sally, because as I said, I am considering scalp treatments in an effort to get more hair. How long does it take to actually show that its working? And what type of Minoxidol to you use? The kind for women or men? Off-brand or actual Minoxidol? What is your treatment schedule like? Sorry for all the questions, but I am truly interested. Will have to also see what the doctor says about that patch of hair loss I have - maybe she will recommend Minoxidol to me?

Grrrr. I just wrote you a long reply and when I went to post it was told that I wasn't logged in, which I had been when I began to type it. I don't have the time to write it all out again. I'll just say: go to www.minoxidil.com and check for teh the standard 5% minoxidil. That's the stuff you want. I use it twice daily. PM me if you want any more info. It takes a lot of time and patience before you see results and then you must persevere or you will lose it all.

Good luck.

Sana
May 19th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Oh yeah..am with you!! I had really thick hair before. But now the layers & straight ironing has caused lot of breakages. Am hoping once the breakages start growing & blend with my hair the thickness will increase. Am not planning to trim of the layers anytime soon:) No trims till I reach waist I guess!

sapphire-o
May 19th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I've been trying to gain more thickness on the length. I'm OK with my ponytail size, it's just the tapering really bothered me. I think I might have to just accept it, though. I probably just have short terminal length and that's mostly genetic. I tried all sorts of things and nothing seem to be able to change my natural shedding pattern. My shedding is usually very high in summer, normal in spring and fall and low in winter. I concluded that my body's just too efficient and doesn't want to carry too much hair for no practical purpose. :)

Loviatar
May 19th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Me...

I've just thinned mine out drastically by stripping out all my indigo and going back to chemical dye, so I'll be looking at:

continuing on CO if I can, if my new hair doesnt object to conefree
remembering to take my vitamins
using honey in my last conditioner
using diluted, gentle, sulphate free shampoo once a fortnight
washing less often
evening up my hemline (I have a lot of color-stripper breakage now)
never blow drying etc - next time I go for a root touch up I will state air drying only and I will personally comb out my hair myself!

Haith
May 19th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I would also like to thicken up my hair. I have found that since joining LHC my hair just feels more substantial, although I haven't measured it since the beginning of the year. I have started washing less frequently and started wearing more updo's which I absolutely believe help me to gain thickness. I don't braid my hair every night, but I think that I'm going to start doing it more frequently. I'm hoping that in the months to come, I'll see a difference in my circumference. I guess that could take up to a year to even see a difference, though, since my new breakage-free hair will have to grow to a length where I can measure it in my ponytail. Oh, I wish that I could see results more quickly! I just love instant fix-all's.

girlcat36
May 19th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Wow lots of replies!

I have a question about breakage from sleeping.. I sleep with my hair down, I don't move much at night and my hair doesn't really tangle. If I'm not getting tangles in the length, do I have to worry about breakage there? I think my head rubbing against my pillow would cause more, and braiding/bunning isn't going to help that. I have a silk pillowcase anyway.

As long a you are using a silk pillowcase you should be okay. I usually use a silk pillowcase, but recently spent 5 days in the hospital(did not bring my silk pillowcase), and then 5 days on the couch. It was horrible for my hair! I don't usually get split ends anymore, but on a recent S&D I found tons of baby splits. Splits=breakage for me. I could only attribute it to time spent in bed/on couch with my hair down.

chotee
May 20th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I know many don't like scalp massages and brushing but somehow my hair has benefited by these two. Massage i do once a week only becoz i see some hair shed after that but using a thin toothed comb to give my scalp some circulation every day at the same time morning and evening about 20 strokes and defenitely there is a difference. I generally use the same strokes and keep my hair very lightly oiled so i don't break hair. I started this routine recently about a month back after i had a major trim about 4" to take the ends off. My hair is growing fast both longer and def feels thicker.

chotee

chrissy-b
May 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I need thicker hair too!

I've been using monistat, doing daily scalp massages, brush only the scalp with my BBB several times a week, use a leave-in and oil daily, and wear my hair up everyday. Since January I've gained almost 0.5" thickness and I have new hairs sprouting out all over.

As far as getting your hair to look and feel thicker, cassia and not washing as often has truly helped my hair to have more body and feel thicker.

I have heard that biotin and MSM also help thicken your hair, but I'm not sure about this because I personally can't stay on a vitamin routine. Maybe others can give a definitive "yes" or "no" on that.

Boudicca
May 20th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I'm trying to increase thickness. Everyone thinks I have thick hair, but it's actually deceptively fine. I'd really like to increase thickness at the scalp, and have a more generous plait.

I tried CO for a while. My scalp was really healthy, but I started to shed like mad.

Has anyone tried kelp for thickness?

rhubarbarin
May 20th, 2008, 04:15 PM
As long a you are using a silk pillowcase you should be okay. I usually use a silk pillowcase, but recently spent 5 days in the hospital(did not bring my silk pillowcase), and then 5 days on the couch. It was horrible for my hair! I don't usually get split ends anymore, but on a recent S&D I found tons of baby splits. Splits=breakage for me. I could only attribute it to time spent in bed/on couch with my hair down.

Yeah, when I get splits they don't stay for long- they just break off in tiny pieces! My hair below shoulder is just a mess. Can't wait until I grow out damage and increase overall thickness, even if my nape measurement never gets any bigger.

SweetPea88
May 20th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I'm in the same boat too! My hair at the nape has gone from just about 3" to 3.25" since I joined (I'm now measuring consistently) and am hoping for more. I'm now getting really great measurements at the crown of my head (~4") and I really hope all of my new growth continues.

Changes I've made:
-no heat styling
-vitamins
-more braids/updos
-coconut oil
-CV shampoo bars
-gently combing w/ wooden comb

I'm considering cassia treatments at the moment as well.

dontcallmejessi
May 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Me too! I have noticed since starting the monistat treatments I have TONS of baby hairs growing in, and I really mean TONS. So I know that's one thing that works! I'd love to learn more things I can do. My hair seems so very thin ever since I had it layered. I know that is supposed to make it appear thicker, well try telling my hair that cause it didn't listen!

Lisa-Maria
May 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM
I'm also tyring to thicken up my hemline so I've switched too fingerc combing only and trying too as long as possible between ful washes, only scalp washes inbetween... we'll see how it goes :)

jel
May 21st, 2008, 05:14 PM
My hair has already thickened up, mostly thanks to henna. The individual hairs have strengthened from F to M (on average), leading to increased circumference. I didn't measure when I joined LHC, because my hair was heavily layered and I couldn't gather even half of it into a pony.

Now, my pony circumference is 3.9" - so near iii I can taste it! :D I hope that good nutrition (enough protein and essential fats, vitamins and minerals) and supplementation (looking into kelp and horsetail) will help... As well as careful handling to minimise breakage, of course. But what I'm really looking for is thickness at the nape, and I don't mind my taper (which starts at BSL at the moment, from my shortest layer). I like fairytale ends!

Indigo Girl
May 21st, 2008, 06:03 PM
As long a you are using a silk pillowcase you should be okay.

I just bought my first satin pillowcase yesterday, and slept on it last night - it was heaven! :cloud9:

It really does feel so much better. (I also splurged and bought a big fluffy organic pillow to go with it, so it was double good ;)).

Irishred
May 21st, 2008, 10:10 PM
The more I think about maintaining (or semi maintaining) a length the more I think I will. About 10ish years ago, my tail circumference was 3 1/2 inches. At It's thinnest, it was 2 1/4 inches. When it was so thick and around waist, I have very little taper. After 3 pregnancies and bfing sheds, I am starting to gain it back. I hope to regain a little thickness at the nape AND less of a taper.

tiny_teesha
May 22nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
*raises hand*
Me. Since joining i have made MUCH progress. I can't remember the measurements but it looks doubled in size.
I did have a mini hiccup- a shed from a mask. So that has set me back slightly. Not to worry it will grow back in due time. It is still thinner then my hair at childhood, so i need to get at least a thrid thicker. I am useing indian herbds with root strengthening properties and the massage is done in the shower. Massage and oily hair makes my hair fall out so i don't do those.

Morag
May 24th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I have noticed since starting scalp massage that my hair is thinner on the right side of my head. I thought
(1) It might be because I'm left-handed, and the left side gets more combing (easier to reach), thus more scalp stimulation. I hope the massage will help even that out.
(2) I usually sleep on my right side, and was wondering whether that has anything to do with it - rubbing on the pillow?
(3) Last night I woke up to find myself actually rubbing the right side of my head against the pillow! (Trying to burrow in , I guess.)

So, I guess I need satin pillowcases. Any other suggestions? (I already know that I can't keep a scarf on overnight.)

banglaminerva
May 24th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I've been using Monistat (yea, THAT cream) and have noticed filling in and a lot of halo. I haven't noticed any increased length growth rate, but if all it does is help thicken, I'm happy.

morgwn
May 25th, 2008, 05:52 AM
So, I guess I need satin pillowcases. Any other suggestions? (I already know that I can't keep a scarf on overnight.)

I found a silk pillowcase set on ebay that wasn't too high in price (in comparison to stores) but still higher-priced than satin. However, I have found them to be well worth the cost! I have used satin pillowcases before and they weren't really doing too awfully much. I now have had so much less hair fall out and I love how comfortable they are, anyway! :)

Morag
May 25th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I found a silk pillowcase set on ebay that wasn't too high in price (in comparison to stores) but still higher-priced than satin. However, I have found them to be well worth the cost! I have used satin pillowcases before and they weren't really doing too awfully much. I now have had so much less hair fall out and I love how comfortable they are, anyway! :)

I had actually been wondering about that, Morgwn. I wasn't entirely sure what fabric people meant when they were "satin" (cotton sateen, polyester satin?). I had guessed most people were using polyester satin, since that's most commonly available, but I would expect it to be hot and uncomfortable during the summer.

I would expect silk to feel cooler, and I very much prefer natural fabrics. I'll have a look around and see what I can find. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

I don't seem to be losing much hair since I started CO (and later, WO). I'm very excited about that. I am also noticing a few little halo hairs in my part. :bow: Woohoo!

girlcat36
May 25th, 2008, 10:06 PM
These pillowcases are real silk and only 10.00.
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1384272-AA.shtml?lnav=clothing.html

vindo
May 25th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I'd also love to hear from people who have sucessfully grown more hairs (or stopped them from breaking off short, whichever). Emichee I'm looking at you..

Who am I looking at? :p

My hair has thickened overall, not drastically but I am thankful for any improvement.

I believe my max. natural thickness lies around 4" maybe a tad more. But I have been down to 2.6" in 2006 due to breakage (dye) and later a massive shed (baaaad sickness)
My nape quickly thickened up to around 30-3.5" but what has given me the most trouble is the taper of my length.
My hair is starting to get thin past midback-waist. So my major goal ist thickening that area.
I have to say though - ever since I have been trimming more frequent the taper did not worsen and my hairs thickness is pretty even in thickness (ca.2cm) from hip to buttcrack ;)
So I will keep that strategy up.
My progress of 2 years LHC is documented in my journal.

I have recently discovered lots of ponytail breakage. Quitting ponytail hairstyles has bettered this but Im not sure I will be able to get rid of it completely...:confused: My ponytail circumference has thickened but just below it loose a lot of thickness. Around shoulder is already a regular to lower ii..
So I hope for my thickness to be more stable in the future sind I would like to wear my hair at classic length.
If I am not satisfied with its thickness at that length I might consider Hip-TB.

growingitlonger
May 26th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I am. My hair was layered - and the shortest layers aren't even shoulder length yet. Looking forward to it all being one length.

morgwn
May 26th, 2008, 02:52 AM
That's one bother for me... my hair winds up forming its own layers due to different hairs growing at different speeds, it seems. I'll have to trim it all to one length after it grows out a few more inches, I think. Then I hope that it'll look thicker. :wannabe:

ilovelonghair
May 26th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Earlier this year my hair started falling out and it just looked like a nasty mess. So I decided to cut it off at the small of my back and keep it that lenght to grow it thicker. I already see a lot of difference, lots of new hairs and my hair is getting thicker at the nape. I can actually see a distinct difference between the hair above BSL and the rest of my hair below that, that part is kind of stringy thin. But now I'm cutting every 2 weeks, so I think in a few months time it will look better.
Other things I did is putting it up for sleeping, henna-ing and I have been wearing my hair up since the hair troubles started. Now it's growing much faster.

KnightsLady
May 26th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Me too!

I measured my thickness a day or so ago and was disappointed to note that I am now in the "normal" category. After pondering, I also became aware that I'm currently able to use a BBB - the bristles actually penetrate my hair, plus my head gets cold in winter. When younger, I had a much thicker plait and had trouble using brushes because they would only skim the surface. Considering returning to combing and looking into general health. I refuse to believe this is entirely the result of aging.

Does anyone else worry that their hair has thinned due to dye/perming, or ever over enthusiasm (ie too much experimenting with different shampoos/treatments etc)? What are the chances that the damage would be permanent?

Giving up shampoo and conditioner seems to be helping. I've quite a few baby hairs, which are about the same length as the new growth after discontinuing S&C. Trying to be kinder to my scalp and leave it alone for a bit.:rolleyes:

swan
May 26th, 2008, 01:55 PM
i think experimenting has helped me to some extent for instance to figure out clay washes are the best, but i've actually had major sheds after some experiments, eg cayenne and garlic on the scalp, which in retrospect i should have known better not to try.

TheGoldenApple
May 27th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I am too!
I have a lot of hair but my hair is very fine. So I'm trying to increase thickness to my individual hair. That's why I use henna/indigo and it really works! I also try to comb/brush my hair very carefully, but sometimes I just get irritated or I am in a hurry and that results in very rough combing:run:

And I read in this thread that most people want their hair on one length. But strange enough my hair looks rather thicker when it's layered!

30isthenewblack
May 28th, 2008, 12:57 AM
My hair definitely looks thicker with layers. My hairdresser took it upon himself to even one of the layers on my last haircut but I'm going to keep the rest of them in. Blunt ends don't suit my curly hair.

flapjack
May 28th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I had layers from my chin down to my waist in the front for a long time and every time I would try to grow them out, I would get annoyed with their shagginess 6 months later and cut them back. But after working at it for a year, the highest layers are now a little below bsl and the bottom is getting thicker. The nape is also getting thicker from growing out my bangs. We will see what happens, I'm pretty happy with where it is right now, so if it gets thicker, cool... if it doesn't, cool.

Saranne772
May 28th, 2008, 01:45 AM
I am also trying to increase my thickness- I have had iii hair all my life, however since I reached hip and onwards it seems to be thinner than it was. I am hoping that it will thicken up as I take especial care of it!

jel
May 28th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Does anyone else worry that their hair has thinned due to dye/perming, or ever over enthusiasm (ie too much experimenting with different shampoos/treatments etc)? What are the chances that the damage would be permanent?

Before finding LHC my hair was thinner due to chemical box dyes (home colourants) I had been using indiscriminately. I thought I had fine hair, and some of the strands were almost invisible. But things have definitely improved since I got rid of the chemical colours and embraced henna...

Anyway, I can't see how chemical or mechanical damage to hair can be permanent - hair grows! Now, if the damage was to the scalp (chemical burns for example) then yes, hair growth might suffer permanently in the affected areas.

vindo
May 29th, 2008, 12:24 PM
-Knights Lady

My hair was thinner when I was still using semi permanent hair dye. I had breakage from dyeing it eventually. My virgin hair is thicker..not drastically but its visible.
Another thing that decreased my ponytail measurement is slight breakage in my ponytail area ;) I have 1cm more now thanks to reducing ponytail hairstyles, barettes and claw clips.

KnightsLady
May 29th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Thank you for your feedback Jel and Emichiee.

I dyed for a brief period about 11 years ago. Haven't been dying now for at least 10 years, so I don't know that it would be that. I have permed in the past. Only twice, but it was enough. Now I wonder if that did any damage to my scalp.

I used to use shikekai, which ripped my hair to shreds. Daily washer, you see. :rolleyes: Still am for the most part. Occassionally I can stretch it to two or three days.

Emichiee,
You've given me something to think about. I use barettes and claw clips daily. I love the claw clips in particular. Ponytails were a staple up until a few months ago. I might look at using something else (like hairpins) instead.

Thanks again.
KL

Morag
June 1st, 2008, 12:01 PM
... with right supplements and good amount of protein in the diet ... Yogurt, liver, eggs, spinach, kelp, Fish(fresh water is better), food with iodine like brinjals, plums etc, brewers yeast, sesame seeds or sunflower seeds and ofcourse flaxseeds....also a good hair vitamin does help ... applying castor oil once a week. Warm it in a cup in microwave and apply and massage the scalp alone. Leave it on for a night and wash it with a hair mask like henna, eggs etc for half an hour or so ... Shikakai herb ... the lesser i wash, the thicker it grows ... i try to keep it in a braid all the time ...

Chotee, thank you so much for all this very helpful information. I will make good use of it. I do have one question, though:

What is a brinjal, please? :confused:

These pillowcases are real silk and only 10.00.
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1384272-AA.shtml?lnav=clothing.html

Oh, Girlcat, thank you so very much for this link! :flower:

i think experimenting has helped me to some extent for instance to figure out clay washes are the best, but i've actually had major sheds after some experiments, eg cayenne and garlic on the scalp, which in retrospect i should have known better not to try.

Swan, I can see the logic in that - cayenne for increased circulation, garlic for all the things garlic does - but yowee! :ohmy: I'm still working up my courage to try a honey-cinnamon paste! :hmm:

... reducing ponytail hairstyles, barettes and claw clips.

Emichee, I have also noticed that. Back when my very most favorite hairstyle of all time involved barretting my hair at the nape, the hinge of the the barrette - pretty much any barrette - would bite off a few hairs every time I snapped it shut. I had developed quite a little patch of chewed-off hairs at my left nape before I figured it out. And I get hairs stuck in the springs of the claw clips! :p But now that my hair has gotten longer I can use a stick or fork for almost everything - whew!

pepperedmoth
June 1st, 2008, 12:30 PM
Me too!

I haven't measured since joining LHC, but already I feel that my henna treatments, oiling, and WO (well, I suppose not technically WO given my oils and henna, but definitely no commercial products) are doing a LOT for my thickness. I shall keep you updated.

SweetPea88
June 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM
I did my monthly measurement today and my pony is now 3.5" (it was 3.25 last month)! When I joined it was just at 3" so I'm really excited. I have a lot of new growth sprouting up everywhere and a quick measurement of a pony on the top of my head shows about 4".

I really attribute this growth to CV bars, no heat styling, wooden combs, and wearing my hair up/contained more often.

mira-chan
June 1st, 2008, 06:13 PM
What is a brinjal, please? :confused:
Brinjal is eggplant. :)

Morag
June 2nd, 2008, 12:26 AM

Thank you, Mira-chan. :flower:

Oberon88
June 2nd, 2008, 12:57 AM
I haven't really measured, but I would like my hair to be thicker. I'm very blonde, so I don't know how much I can expect.

Has anyone noticed if drinking milk helped with their hair? The new 'got milk' campaign says that milk not only builds strong bones, but promotes healthier hair.

NorthernDancer
June 2nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
I don't think drinking milk helps any. I drink 1-1/2 - 2 gallons of milk a week (it's like all I drink when I'm home), and I've been loosing some thickness lately. But then again I've always been a big milk drinker, so maybe without it I would have much thinner hair.

mira-chan
June 2nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
I don't think drinking milk helps any. I drink 1-1/2 - 2 gallons of milk a week (it's like all I drink when I'm home), and I've been loosing some thickness lately. But then again I've always been a big milk drinker, so maybe without it I would have much thinner hair.

I agree. I don't drink much milk, never have and can't have any at all now. I have relatively thick hair and it is growing in thicker due to other things (scalp massages, oiling, herb washing).

Hair need protein to grow, milk is high in protein. If your main protein source is milk then yes, more or less milk is likely to make and impact on thickness. If you get plenty of protein elsewhere, milk won't be as big of a factor.

sahiba
June 2nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
I am and will keep trying to make my hair as thick as possible.

Melisande
June 3rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
I"m always on the lookout for ways to thicken my hair, and since I've joined THLC, I've had a tiny increase in ponytail circumference and a noticeable increase in new growth that will one day visibly boost my hemline. I hope.

What helped me:
containing my hair at night (either braids or several not-too-tight buns),
a silk pillowcase,
replacing chemical dye with a natural mixture (German brand: Sante Terra),
a silk scarf when my hair touches a surface that is less smooth than silk (headrests, sofa),
minimizing mechanical damage (no brushing, wide toothed comb, detangle with fingers once a day),
minimizing chemical damage by strongly diluting shampoos,
growing out the layers and keeping the ends strong by applying sheabutter or oil,
keeping my hair up at all times with good hairtoys,
replacing cone shampoo and conditioner with gentle alternatives (my 1a hair began to show definite signs of 1b tiny body waves - that make hair appear a bit thicker),
and most of all: scalp massages with the essential oil mixture recommended here (http://http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001).

I apply my mixture (based on jojoba oil, heavenly smell of herbs and nature) at night, nearly every night. I mix up a batch every few months, keep it in a bigger bottle and re-fill a tiny dripper bottle with it. I apply it in tiny drops right unto my scalp and massage it for at least half an hour. I do so ca. four nights a week. My hair hardly looks greasy in the mornings, I bun it anyway, and the benefits are huge. I have lots of new growth and my hair grows between 1,5 and 2 cm a month.

I cannot begin to compare the new hair that grows now with the tired lengths. I will never have the full, heavy head of hair that some members here have, but I see a definite improvement. I will continue my regimen and hope that once I cut off the old reminders of chemical dye days, my hair will look thicker.

I'm sorry there is no spectacular quick fix ;-) but for me, the snail approach seems to work.

Morag
June 4th, 2008, 08:58 PM
and most of all: scalp massages with the essential oil mixture recommended here (http://http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001).

Melisande, the link to the oil seems to be broken. Can you give it again? Thanks so much!

chotee
June 8th, 2008, 05:57 AM

thanks mirachan for answering morag's question...sillyme i am so used to calling it brinjals:smile:

chotee

Morag
June 9th, 2008, 09:12 PM
thanks mirachan for answering morag's question...sillyme i am so used to calling it brinjals:smile:

chotee

Chotee, with all the folks on this board who are living all over the world, I am amazed that we don't need translation more often! :) And now I know a new word! :D

Carina
June 9th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I want to do it.But I don't have a clue how I can do it.2007 was a big shedding year for me:sad and I guess that it will be a little thicker by this time next year.:p

tiny_teesha
June 12th, 2008, 02:31 AM
The main thing that contributed to makeing my hair thicker was STOP USING CHEMICAL dye!!!
Then i stopped with cones, then shampoo all together. I had a shed- caused a long conditioner mask on the scalp, and that set me back a year or so. It got considerably thinner and lighter over night. So, now i'm back to the drawing board. Each month another cm radius of baby hairs join the pony tail. I'm up to centimetre 2. I am trimming monthly now- and it seems my hair is growing faster then normal- i have no idea what that is due to. Only slightly though.
When my hair is oily it looks much thinner, if i don't wash it by day 3 it starts to fall out but since the big shed not many hairs are falling out anymore. I'm including some WO in my routine, but if i find i start to shed i am going to bail out! :)

this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=109&pictureid=11985) is the best picture which shows my lenght and thinning(of ends) and thickening (of nape) journey.

Loreyanne_H
June 12th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Hand up!

I'm another one trying to increase thickness: I've got really baby fine hair - normal average - and I'm always trying to get it thicker. At the moment, I'm doing cycles of cassia + blond hennè, combined with phytokeratine poudre mixed with conditioner "all nignt" leave ins, and combined with some silicium and spiruline integrators. Hope does it work!

hairymonster
June 12th, 2008, 08:47 AM
That would be me. I've just about given up trying to thicken my hair, but if someone does have a tried and tested method of thickening hair (as in increasing hair growth, not decreasing breakage) naturally, I'd love to know it!

HollowHannah
June 13th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Guilty

I'm desperate for mine to be thicker. Back when I used to wash, blowdry and wear it down everyday, it was under 2". After I stopped doing that it jumped up to 4" in about 6 months. But I'm very paranoid about it getting thin and I have fairytale ends which are very thin at the bottom. I'd give anything for really thick hair but I would have no idea where to start

Morag
June 13th, 2008, 06:37 PM
HollowHanhah, you're at 4 inches? I'd say that's pretty thick. I haven't dyed or blowdried in many years. My hair is all virgin with the exception of recent henna, and I'm still at 2.5 inches on a good day (humidity helps).

You must be doing something right. :smile:

busnutmedic
June 13th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Ahh! Count me in! This is the perfect thread for me :(

Lol, but it's just my hair, right, and I still have some!! :D

Bonnie

Morag
June 13th, 2008, 09:12 PM
That's the spirit, Bonnie! At least we still have some! :misskim:

Johanna
June 13th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I'd like my thickness back I had alot of hairloss recently. By looking at my plait, it looks like I've lost at least 2-3cm from the thickness of it. I suddenly went from getting 7 to almost 8 'bumps' on my plait, to 9, probably within 3 weeks.

I've now got lots of 1 inch baby hairs, about 10 times the amount I'd normally have, it's nice to know that its all growing back. It's going to be a long while before I can get my full thicknes back though. Now that I'm more concious about what damages my hair, and hiding the hairbrush, it's going to save the hair I have left.

Siava
June 13th, 2008, 10:41 PM
^ *comfort*

I actually measured my thickness for the first time in my life. 2.7! It's thicker than I thought which makes me happy. Plus, I've got a lot of halo going on from when I wasn't combing properly so hopefully that'll add some thickness when it grows in. Then I measured my daughter's and hers is the same. Her hair is more curly though so I guess that makes a difference in appearance. Anyhoo, I definitely wouldn't mind more thickness. Any additional hairs will be most welcomed.

MoldyCake
June 19th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I'm in. :cheese:

I really need to be thickening my hair out again.

ywall
February 7th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Hi everyone im a newbe here and I have been trying to grow my hair out for a year now and especially add thickness! I use henna to color my hair and I lov lov it! Just started this year and I also started using sls free shampoo and conditioner. I have also added msm 2x 1000mg twice a day lots of water too. I brade my hair when I go to bed and its in a loose brade during the day but I need help if anyone out there can help me with some tips advice does donts anything will b appreciated. Thank u :)

hairpleasegrow
February 7th, 2014, 12:55 PM
I have a post pregnancy halo that's about an inch long and with hormone changes and all my chemical damage it hasn't made for healthy thick hair. I've cut out hairbrushes, heat, hairdressers, dyes. I've been doing cat nip rinses too which i hope will preserve my ends.

i'm very new here so hopefully this new routine will greatly impact the quality of my hair. I think thickness is key. When I say thick I just mean a nice solid hemline. I value this because my hair is so fine and this is very hard for me to achieve.

would love fairy tale ends but my ends have been like long strings of hay and I keep cutting and cutting it back. I have layers too which I think takes away from how thick my hair looks.

My ends are almost transluscent. In total after pregnancy I have probably cut 7 inches. For me I know that when I do a big chop that;s usually when my hair starts growing quickly and thicker.

So I cut another 2 inches off just last night and got rid of alot of my layers..... It is definitely thicker I hope I have a clean slate to grow to BSL now

**Vera**
February 11th, 2014, 07:33 AM
This is my main goal now. I never had problem with growing hair long but thickness is elusive to me. I have normal thickness but I like super big hairs :p.

duchess67
February 11th, 2014, 08:06 AM
My goal is the same :) not worried so much about length.

[/QUOTE]
This is my main goal now. I never had problem with growing hair long but thickness is elusive to me. I have normal thickness but I like super big hairs :p.

**Vera**
February 11th, 2014, 08:29 AM
My goal is the same :) not worried so much about length.

[/QUOTE]
Yayy we can share our crazy plans on increasing thickness then. I am currently focusing on clearing my dandruff. The new oil I am using(Banola oil cooked with muli leaves) has decreased my shed to barely a few hairs. So hopefully the decrease in the shedding would help in increasing thickness.

cdonald2
February 11th, 2014, 08:36 AM
My hair used to be so thick i couldnt run a brush through it. It had a ton of waves in it too... but once i hit 13 it completely straightened itself out. now a ponytail even slides out :( thickness would be nice, but i feel like i will get that illusion as it gets longer. alot of my current thinner feel of it it is probably due to layers. Theres a few but theyre flattering and i dont mind them, but i totally want it to eventually catch up to my longest one and no longer exist.

graciebell
February 11th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Wow, ywall, you resurrected this thread from 2008. Good job! I would love to grow in both length and thickness. I am taking biotin 2x 5000mg daily and totally agree that diet plays a huge role in hair health. Raw egg yolks from farm eggs, raw kefir from grass-fed cows, krill oil (omega 3s), lots of protein from grass-fed cows (beef and protein powder), kelp, coconut oil, butcher's broom herb are all a part of my diet. When I am not pregnant (yes, I am now) I also take horsetail herb and MSM. I have noticed lovely effects from these foods in the past but am now trying to minimize damage so that I can grow in length as well. I just recently had to chop off several inches from weather damage from the new DRY climate to which I moved. Ugh! So I am dealing with that and am several weeks into NW/SO.

cdonald2
February 11th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Just dont do the egg on the hair thing. The molecular weight is too different from our hairs' and it wont do a thing.

graciebell
February 18th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Just dont do the egg on the hair thing. The molecular weight is too different from our hairs' and it wont do a thing.

I'm NW/SO so egg won't be happening on my head.

Boudicca
February 18th, 2014, 05:20 PM
I'm dealing with some bad thinning just now, and am awaiting some blood tests. In the meantime, I decided to try Nizoral shampoo, after reading two studies which suggested that it was effective in treating androgenic alopecia. I have to say that I have seen a noticeable reduction in shedding - only 5-6 hairs when I wash it, as opposed to 15-20 before.

I do have mild facial seb derm - maybe it was also also affecting my scalp - unbeknownst to me. Still - can't argue with a reduction in shedding.

ExpectoPatronum
February 18th, 2014, 06:53 PM
I went through a period of shedding because I was stubborn and trying to make COwashing work. I lost about a quarter inch of thickness in a month (told you I was shedding loads!). My ponytail used to be just above 4inches in circumference. I measured it a few weeks ago and it was at 3 1/2 inches. While that's not thin, that's also not my normal thickness. I had cut some bangs into my hair which attributed a little too the loss, but not all of it. In addition to thinner hair, I was also dealing with an itchy scalp and lots of little flakes.

I've overhauled my routine completely. I gave up conventional products and switched to shampoo bars. Before that, I started oiling my hair overnight before a wash as well as doing scalp massages. These things in addition to wearing my hair up have helped me start gaining back a little of my thickness. I've gone from about 3 1/2 inches to 3 5/8 inches. I think an eighth of an inch gain in thickness is pretty good. Switching to shampoo bars have also done away with my itchy scalp completely. I still get the flakies sometimes, though. It might be wishful thinking, but I hope to have a 4+ inch ponytail circumference again by summer.

Ingrid
February 18th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I'm growing out layers, bangs, chemical damage from hair colouring... which means everything below my virgin hair is quite thin and damaged.

I've been using castor oil on my scalp and coconut oil on the lengths as well as wearing my hair in updos for the past year and I've noticed an overall improvement in the condition of my hair. It looks and feels thicker. I also gave up shampoo and conventional products and tried to stretch washes for as long as possible, in addition to fixing up my lifestyle.

Aside from all these measures which have been adopted by quite a few people in this thread, it seems there is not much else that can be done for thickness aside from waiting for hair to grow out!