PDA

View Full Version : first cut in fifteen years!

rainkloud
July 29th, 2010, 10:32 AM
so..i haven't had a real haircut since i was about twelve years old. i do a little s&d when needed but other than that..i just let it be. its long enough to sit on so its on its way to knee legnth.
but i am going thru a crazy transitional period in my life right now, and the time as come. my friend scheduled me an appointment with her for this next thursday.
i just want a foot or two cut off. i am thinking to the small of my waist. it will still be long but not long enough to cause me any extra trouble.
its so wild. i am so nervous. i just love my extra long hair but i think it would be more attractive a little shorter, cut all the icky ends off..plus i think i would wear it down more often...which always looks nice. but still.
anyone else wait fifteen years for a cut? did you like it? was it traumatic? both?
i will post before and after pics when its all said and done, btw.
thanks for listening, i needed to vent that out.
:scissors:

sibiryachka
July 29th, 2010, 10:35 AM
"I just want a foot or two cut off". Wow, only on LHC!!

HairColoredHair
July 29th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I've had a foot cut off before....

It was traumatic... but I wasn't the one deciding to lose that much, the hairdresser made that decision for me. :mad:

LouLaLa
July 29th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Ooh how exciting! Cant wait for photos.

HairColouredHair my hairdresser practically scalped me once, well by LHC standards, and it was very traumatizing too, I never went back as she put layers in my super fine hair too without asking, grrrr.

Cupofmilk
July 29th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I cut 18 inches off in december to bsl. I would recommend waist!

Deborah
July 29th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I have cut a foot or more off when I was just feeling tired of the weight or volume, and was always happy afterwards. It left me feeling light and free, and I knew the ends were in good shape. Go for it! Waist length is a really beautiful length.

If you are having real qualms, cut half of what you think you want cut. If you still want more off, then cut the rest. Only you know your own mind on this. I hope you are happy with your choice! :flower:

Sammich
July 29th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Good luck with your hair cut! Hopefully you'll get what you want, it'll be exciting to see the change and feel it! :D

Definitely a foot of hair is what is heard of almost only on LHC, lol! :p

DakarNick
July 29th, 2010, 11:27 AM
12" or 24" is quite the range and while you seem set to chop it, you also seem very unsure of the length you want it.

At your current length of 46", 24" off would put you at 22", or between APL and BSL. 12" would put it at 34" overall. That is probably a little past waist on you, maybe tailbone.

So you have a week to decide what you want to do. Don't let the hairdresser choose it for you as it may end up shorter than you wish.

Good luck.

DakarNick
July 29th, 2010, 12:06 PM
By the way, 12" is a bit more than a quarter of your length, and 24" is a bit more than half your length. :)

Coffeebug
July 29th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I'm on the cusp of cutting a foot off too. It's too heavy but I think I'm gonna miss it when I do which is why I've put it off for soooo long!

Jenn of Pence
July 29th, 2010, 01:01 PM
You can alway cut more off, and it will always grow back....whatever you decide shouldn't be permanent at least! I would personally say go easy and if you later decide you want more off, by all means get it cut off! Then again, maybe everybody needs a little hair cut trauma in their lives, you know, to build character! I'm not sure about that, though. ;)

Kathie
July 29th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Waist length hair would look very beautiful on you. Its good that its a friend cutting your hair too. Good luck!

s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n
July 29th, 2010, 01:37 PM
As a kid, I was always so excited to have a dramatic haircut. Well, I was excited a few days before and on the day I got it, but the next day I awfully missed my hair and started growing it back. The "dramatic" cuts were like from waist to APL :p but for me, it seemed like dramatic.. So please, make it only one foot :o

jasper
July 29th, 2010, 02:35 PM
are you going to keep the 1 foot or 2 foot of hair?

LadyLongLocks
July 29th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I had at least 18" cut in 1991. I just found the ponytail.
It was kind of a shock but with 3 small kids and no time for hair I had to do it at the time.
You are cutting off quite a bit! But you know best.
If it is really damaged, then it is the right thing even though it might be a shock for a while.
Your new healthy hemline will be nice though. You can always grow it longer again :)
(save the ponytail)

Merlin
July 29th, 2010, 03:10 PM
i just love my extra long hair but i think it would be more attractive a little shorter:scissors:

If you don't mind me saying this, the first bit is the important bit - you love your hair as it is, so keep it that way. We can't see photos, but I very much doubt it will be more attractive shorter - you've said you're having a bit of a time of it at the moment. Is anybody telling you perhaps it would be more attractive, or is there some reason you feel unattractive?

Alvrodul
July 29th, 2010, 03:12 PM
"I just want a foot or two cut off." :rolleyes:

*shakes head* Only here on LHC...
I hope the cut won't be too traumatic for you.

Anje
July 29th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Around here, we tend to cite the "two week rule" a lot. If you want to cut off a significant amount of hair, wait and think about it for two weeks. If you have no second thoughts during that time, go for it. The reasoning behind this is that to have long hair, you do need to resist emotional cutting, and many folks would otherwise whack a few feet off every time something stressful happens in their life, then lament that they never have to pull their dream hair out of their shoes they way they want.

So if you want to cut your hair, I'd suggest that you stop and think about it first. Consider whether you're going to feel weird not being the "girl with really long hair" anymore. Also consider that just because you haven't cut your hair, doesn't mean you automatically have to. If your ends are healthy and thick enough for your taste, there's no reason not to leave them alone.

If you think you need a change, I'd suggest cutting no shorter than tailbone (top of the vertical smile) at first. That'll feel a lot shorter to you and it'll be short enough that you won't sit on it, but it'll still be "long". If after a few weeks at that length, you still want your hair shorter, you can cut it to waist. I've got a sneaking suspicion you'll find cutting it much shorter than tailbone might be traumatic, and you don't have anything to lose by taking it slowly.

MissManda
July 29th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Good luck with your hair appointment! :flower:

I've had two feet cut off of my hair before. I went from tailbone length to an undercut bob and I must say that it was exciting at first, but afterward I realized how traumatized and how much I wanted my beautiful hair back so badly. I am never going that short again--ever.

I think waist would be a lovely length. ^^

Fern
July 29th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I just want to offer luck to you with whatever you decide. And yes LHC is the only place where someone can cut 2 feet of hair and not be bald.

Islandgrrl
July 29th, 2010, 04:47 PM
A few years ago I went from knee to BSL-ish. I felt like I was wearing someone else's head every time I brushed my hair!

rainkloud
July 30th, 2010, 09:19 AM
thanks everyone so much.
i work as a waitress these days and my hair is pretty much what i talk about All night at just about Every table. the other girls and staff talk about it all the time. of course everyone has an opinion.
i get alot of pressure to cut it more than i feel comfortable with. i just about had an argument with my best friend about it last night because she told me waist length just wouldn't make a difference and its a waste of a haircut and how it will always grow back, and i tried to explain to her, look, i can cut a little then go back for more if i like it, but if i cut too much, its done. so frustrating.
hearing your responses helps me comfirm what i am thinking. and thanks for that.
less than a week to go! i promise pics will come.

i am also 62" tall for reference. and my avatar pic is several years old..

Coffeebug
July 30th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I finally went through with it today and cut just over a foot off. The tassle of my braid feels so much thicker and it feels pretty amazing to have lost that extra weight. I wish I'd done it sooner! It's now classic length.

Definitely don't cut it any shorter than you feel sure you'd be happy with though - like you say, it's better to start conservative and work your way up if you want to. DON'T let anyone bully you into anything you might regret.

Back_To_Basics
July 30th, 2010, 11:38 AM
http://www.all4gsds.com/bb/images/smiles/censor.gif I agree, make sure before you do it's what you really want. My sister tells me that too.. anything longer then
shoulder length is a waste.. I just tell her http://www.all4gsds.com/bb/images/smiles/tmi.gif.
When she was younger she had long hair, She went to
beauty school, and decided to get it cut VERY short.
She looks good with short hair..but I would never go that
far. Good luck with what ever you decide.

DakarNick
July 30th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I finally went through with it today and cut just over a foot off. The tassle of my braid feels so much thicker and it feels pretty amazing to have lost that extra weight. I wish I'd done it sooner! It's now classic length.

Over a foot and still at classic? Wow! How far from knee length were you?

DakarNick
July 30th, 2010, 05:25 PM
i am also 62" tall for reference. and my avatar pic is several years old..

As in 5'2"? So your hair now is only 16" off the ground? :cool:

amoredidanza
July 30th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I wish I had the patients to wait that long before cutting my hair. That's my biggest downfall. I try to grow it, then I get bored and I need a change. I end up cutting it, saying to myself "oh, it will grow back" and I end up never growing it out.

LisaButz2001
August 3rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
Tell the friend who told you waist length is a wasted haircut to stick it. I was able to sit on mine and went back to TB about a month ago, not that much, but I wish I could sit on it again. My advice? Don't cut 24 inches, I wouldn't even do 12, only 6 based on my experience, but if you really want to and it isn't due to rude, bullying comments, then enjoy the change.

ghost
August 3rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
15 years?! That's amazing. I wish I wasn't so impulsive...hopefully hanging around LHC will make me a little more patient.

Someone mentioned maybe cutting off half of what you think you want to cut off at first, and that sounds like a good idea. If you still feel like your hair is too long, you can take some more off, but a little moderation (says the girl with impulse control issues!) might save you some heartache.

Waist length is a beautiful length, and still longer than most people tend to want to grow their hair. If you think you will like it, go for it.

RecklessCharlie
August 4th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I waited 17 years and chopped thigh length hair to above shoulder with lots of layers.
I LOVED it.
And continued loving it for several years until I decided to grow it out again. It was just time for a change and I've never regretted cutting it.
At waist length your hair will be much more healthy looking and more manageable as you mentioned. And everyone will be able to enjoy seeing your gorgeous hair as you'll be able to let it hang loose more often :)
Don't be too nervous, for me it was a very positive change and I hope it is for you as well! Good luck and enjoy your new look!

Jessica Trapp
August 4th, 2010, 02:33 AM
"I just want a foot or two cut off".

Definitely only on LHC. LOL! :D

I thought that BSL to waist length were very versatile lengths---lots of updos available and not much maintenance.

If you are worried about it being too traumatic, you could do the chop in 3 to 6 inch stages and try out various lengths for a couple of days a piece until you found your "perfect" length.

Best of luck!

:flower: jes

KittyLost
August 4th, 2010, 03:13 AM
When you go get her to cut off half of what you want, and then see how you like it and if you are happy with it going a bit shorter than get her to gradually cut off a bit more.

It may take some time but she should be happy to do it, to make sure that you get what you want. :)

Chrissy
August 4th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I still don't get why so called "friends" or anyone else for that matter, feel that they can tell you how long your hair should be. Why do they care? This is a reoccurring theme I find with people who are so weird about very long hair. What is with that? I do hope you are doing this because YOU want to. I think that is what Merlin is alluding to.

If you want to that's great! If you are doing it because others are pressuring you not good. Just my two cents worth.

Pixna
August 4th, 2010, 06:59 AM
"I just want a foot or two cut off". Wow, only on LHC!!

Ain't that the truth! :laugh:

I look forward to seeing before and after pics! :drama:

Wind Dragon
August 4th, 2010, 07:50 AM
As in 5'2"? So your hair now is only 16" off the ground? :cool:

You probably want to add about 8" to that, DakarNick. Since we measure our hair over the head from the front hairline, not from the top of our heads. :)

rainkloud
August 5th, 2010, 11:34 PM
so i did it! i don't have time to talk about it now...but if you look at my new haircut album in my profile you can see the after pics...
:)

Darkhorse1
August 6th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Your new cut/length is GORGEOUS! Congrats--I hope you love it. It looks amazing. That's a length I always liked for myself and will probably return to it at some point.

Marjolein
August 6th, 2010, 08:41 AM
It looks wonderful rainkloud! How much did you end up taking off?

kitschy
August 6th, 2010, 09:12 AM
SOooo pretty!

Deborah
August 6th, 2010, 11:04 AM
It looks great! Much thicker and fuller. Good choice.

Coffeebug
August 6th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Oh wow, that looks wicked - really thick and healthy!

CurlAhead
August 6th, 2010, 12:02 PM
It is lovely, looks super thick! I missed the first profilepicture, do you have it anywhere I can see it?

lapushka
August 6th, 2010, 12:45 PM
so i did it! i don't have time to talk about it now...but if you look at my new haircut album in my profile you can see the after pics...
:)

It's lovely! :D

Angela_Rose
August 6th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Very pretty! It's a dramatic cut, but it's lovely.

Kristin
August 6th, 2010, 01:28 PM
It looks awesome, rainkloud! Congratulations!!!

cmnt831
August 6th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Wow, your hair looks so thick and healthy now! Very nice. :)

LisaButz2001
August 8th, 2010, 07:31 AM
It looks fabulous. It is really thick. You're tempting me to cut mine!

DakarNick
August 13th, 2010, 12:22 PM
That looks great! About a foot off?

SimplyDashing
August 22nd, 2010, 09:05 PM

Congrats! Must've been a tough decision...sounds like you are enjoying the 'new' you! :D

christine1989
August 22nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
That is so brave of you! I don't know if I could have done it after 15 years. :)

evampr18
August 22nd, 2010, 11:56 PM
Whoa, brave move! But Im sure youll look great either way. Just expect colder winters when you don't have all that hair to shield yourself with :)

Debra83
August 23rd, 2010, 12:02 AM
Looks really good. Good choice!

Back_To_Basics
August 23rd, 2010, 05:06 AM
Looks very healthy, and thick. Your cut looks really good
I think you made the right choice. I love how your ends
look.

OleanderTime
August 23rd, 2010, 07:42 AM
It looks wonderful -- you totally have my dream hair. I hope you got what you wanted at the salon! :)

triumphator!
August 23rd, 2010, 09:08 AM
Aw, you look wonderful :)

david
August 23rd, 2010, 09:33 AM
Wow, your hair is awesome. The cut looks great, it looks allot fuller at the ends. I'm sure it was hard to lose so much length, but it looks awesome.