PDA

View Full Version : The Pro-Layers thread!

kristymarie87
July 29th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I have hated my layers for a long time and forgotten that i did once love them and love them enough to keep getting more.

I was trying to grow them out and thought maybe i should try to work with my layers instead of against them.

So what i want to know is how you all (those who have and love layers) care for your layers and keep them looking healthy. I though maybe we could post pics of our layers and updos/styles that make the most of layers. And that would really help me out as im getting a trim on Sat!

I did a search and couldnt really find anything specifically on this so please do tell me off if there is another thread like this.

Just to get started :D
My layers- (grown out a bit but need a good trim)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii286/LiveDieBleed87/IMG00379-20100710-16372.jpg

Sammich
July 29th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I love layers, especially on curly hair, but any hair will do! ;) Layers can make your hair look so styled and gorgeous, especially the layers that start out a little shorter then longer and longer... makes your hair look longer in my opinion and faaabulous! :D
I have layers and I love them, but my ends feel super thin at the moment so growing a bit of them out, and then keeping my layers.
At first it seems that LHC is against layers because I've seen so much unlayered hair on here, and that really made me hate my layers, now I love them because I realise everyone is so different here with their different opinions, and I have my opinion too. :D
Your layers are gorgeous, it's nice to have a thread that is pro layers and not with growing them out fully! :p
My layers a few months ago:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5609&pictureid=73241
Need to get a recent of the front shot.
They're great for when you want your hair down, because the style is almost always gorgeous! :p Layers can also bring out waves and curlies alot.
My layers in February:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5609&pictureid=78069
When I first got my layered cut last year June!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5455&pictureid=71340
I loved it a ton at first, now wanting a little bit of the layers gone because I want my hair to really flow you know. :p

Centaur
July 29th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I have a little bit of long layers put into my hair. It shapes better at APL length, which is a kind of awkward length for my hair (which is wavy and wurly). As it grows into BSL or maybe even waist length, I will probably slowly cut the layering out in time.

kristymarie87
July 29th, 2010, 09:48 AM
My layers in February:

I love this one!! Its how i want my hair to look!

I'm growing mine a bit i guess because i had them cut rather choppy and the ends are looking a bit thin compared to the roots..... I think i will always have some though. It does give a nice shape and i hope when my hair is longer they will sit better!

Sammich
July 29th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I love this one!! Its how i want my hair to look!

I'm growing mine a bit i guess because i had them cut rather choppy and the ends are looking a bit thin compared to the roots..... I think i will always have some though. It does give a nice shape and i hope when my hair is longer they will sit better!

Thank you! :D

Hehe, if you want my layering you can just keep your layers! That's basically how my cut was, alot of layers on top and thinning out the bottom. (I don't want that anymore though... meh, I hate thin ends. :p )
If you don't want the thin ends just ask for layering on top, I love how it makes my hair more bouncy/voluminous on top, I don't have to wash as much as I did back when my hair was unlayered up top. :D

Gilly
July 29th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I am in!

I got mine heavily layered yesterday, my hair just looks better with layers, its really fine and when it gets some length on the upper parts it just hangs and sulks so its layers all the way for me, its taken me many years to realise that I should work with what I have rather than try to get it to conform to what I want it to be.
Embrace the layers!!!!:cheese::cheese::cheese:

MirandaWelch
July 29th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I will be getting layers cut into my hair when it's grown another 2 inches or so. I'm at a happy length right now but I know that when I get it cut I will lose a bit of length and would like to still be at my goal once it's cut.

My hair gets really flat on top of my head when left un-layered and I don't care for it.

ptnicole
July 29th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I am so digging this thread! :cheese: Great idea to get it going even if it has been done before. Your hair looks beautiful by the way!

I have always had layers and always will. Now that I follow LHC advice, they are even wavier and my hair feels fuller! I keep the layers microtrimmed and keep my hem thick (so when I trim about 1/4" off ends and 1/8" off layers...I had big trim in June and will not trim again until end of Sept). I have a u to slight v shape...which I prefer.

I think I've posted to you before, but my layer routine...CWC, aloe vera after I wash to keep my canopy under control. Let air dry without brushing/combing. Then comb or tangleteezer it when dry.

I am past APL and having a hard time putting up all the layers so I tend to twist the top and bobbypin back then put the rest up in bun, french twist, whatever. I like my updos to be messy/romantic looking so the layers tweaking out is fine with me. The rag bun is awesome for making my hair super curly (my avatar).

Hi to all the layered folks here!

JenniferNoel
July 29th, 2010, 03:28 PM
We needed this thread!
I love/hate layers. What I love about them is how they give so many options as to what you can do with your hair down, as far as styling and texture goes. Face framing layers are fantastic especially for wavies, but I tend to not get along with them anymore. For a while, I had layers all the time, varying their lengths, and I enjoyed them then. But now that I'm in to less-styling-more-cautious hair care they've become a nuisance. They're all gone now though except for a couple in front which I may just have to keep, they look cool in up-dos!

littleflowerr
July 29th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I mean its a love hate relationship as far as layers go for me. I don't know how i feel about having a blunt cut with zero layers, i use to have that and it felt boring. I like the curls i get from my layers.. its just the extra dry-ness and the S&Ding i have to keep up with!

ptnicole
July 29th, 2010, 04:07 PM
The S&Ding is rather hard....sometimes I hold up layers vertically and trim the tiniest little bit if they are looking fuzzy. Since joining LHC...I have maybe 1 or 2 splits when I sit down to do a S&D (about once a week)..yea!

TinaDenali
July 29th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Oh, I love layers. I can't wait until my hair is little bit longer and I can get some layers cut in it. Love, love, love layers. :)

Artenystea
July 29th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I love my layers. I accidentally got an extremely layered cut a couple years ago and that was my (awful) introduction to layers. But after growing my hair out from that cut I eventually decided to let my new stylist cut some long layers and I am hooked.

The last time I had long hair (waist/tailbone) it was unlayered and I think that's why I eventually got tired of it. I'm looking forward to having long layered hair!

n.b. - the only downside I can see to having layers is that it makes it harder to do most updos. But guess what? I'm not very good at updos to begin with, so it's not really an issue for me! :wink: Long live layers!

Eden_Rayn
July 29th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I love my long layers. I do S&D once in a blue moon, condition the hell out of it, and use coconut oil on it almost daily. The last two are mainly due to my hair type wavy and course. I hate S&D in general I do it maybe four times a year or when the ends get crunchy. I trim the whole length once a year to make my hem and layers pretty.

ninelifewriter5
July 29th, 2010, 11:41 PM
I love layers, but don't have them at the moment. The shorter my hair, the wurlier/curlier it is, so I'm going to get some short-ish layers later on. It gives my hair more body, too, as it has a tendency to fall flat.

I'm going to get layers cut in when I finish school. My school rules say that any hair longer than the collar must be tied back, and I hate having to bobby pin layers back (too much effort, haha), so until them my hair has none. I tried get long layers cut in a while back, but they grew out.

As for S&D-ing, I never had the chance to with the long layers (disappeared too fast) but when I had a layered hair cut a while back I would run my hand down my hair, slowly, with my hair hanging down (I was face down). When I got to a layer, the hair would fall out and I could see the ends. Kept going until I'd got all the hair. That, or twist it so the ends of the layers stuck out. Easy to see then.

[That was longer than I had intended, sorry!]

klcqtee
July 30th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I love my layers! it makes my hair so much more manageable! It's too heavy and poofy otherwise. I also tend to prefer messy updos strongly over neat ones, and my layers help keep me happy. I like long all over layers, and I need to have either face framing layers or bangs, otherwise my face looks really long.

chloe
July 30th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I used to only wear layers around my face, but Ive been wearing full on layers, all over my head for about a year now......and I love them..:inlove: I love having bangs too, :D....these are all things I fought having for years, but I didnt know what I was missing out on :crazyq:...it just works for my hair, and I will never go back...:p

painter
July 30th, 2010, 02:42 AM
I hated layers for ages, but I think its because I once had layers cut in and they were very flat (horizontal type) and looked awful. Now in hindsight I think I probably should have experimented more with layers, I loved my hair when I cut my dreads out and it was probably because it ended up layered...it was soft and wispy tho.
I had long hair after that but it was really really flat on top (all one length) and I was constantly having to do things to try and add body, as I've gotten older its gone thinner and so I could see thinned areas around my scalp which drove me nuts. Hence I cut it all off and loved the short hair...now I'm growing it out I'm considering layering it to help give me more body.

kritir
July 30th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Layers are awesome! I will always always have layers in my hair.

Princess Kitti
July 30th, 2010, 04:01 AM
I love my layers! My hair seems to drag me down when it's all one length, I look much better with face framing layers. And super-neat updos don't suit me. So layers are a winner :)

kristymarie87
July 30th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I remember being a triangle head when my hari was all one length.....it was so thick and frizzy!! It looked great when i layered it. But i had BSL hair then and SL hair now which i think the layers are too blunt for it.

The main problem is that they get damaged som much quicker than the rest of the hair. I try to S&D but its too short. I usually hild the layer vertically and dust the fuzzies.....but there are alot!!

I think im having the end dusted tomorrow and then a good trim off the layers and i'll leave it for 3 months just dusting the layers.

Coconut oil didnt agree with my hair and aloe has no effect so im always looking for something to smooth the layers without looking greasy!

I'm glad there are so many pro-layer LHCers!! Please share some piccies :D

Kome
July 30th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I had layers in the back for awhile, some pretty extreme ones with my hair down to my waist. I'd had long hair with a blunt cut for years in high school and wanted to try something different as I grew it back out long again. I found that it made my hair look a bit messy though and I eventually cut them out and am now growing a blunt cut in the back.

In the front I still have layers. I like them framed around my face with some bangs. It looks cleaner and isn't as boring to me.

spidermom
July 30th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I love layers at shorter lengths, but not at this length.

Ethereal Fog
July 30th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I love layers! When I go to get my hair cut, I usually ask for a few long layers; it breaks up my hair nicely, and I love the movement it gives. On me, personally, the blunt style didn't work at all. It felt heavy and was weighing me down visually, on a similar note, too many layers never looked too great on me either. I need a happy medium. :)

Bonkers57
July 30th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Any way you wear your hair is beautiful, Sammich! :D I think in order for layers to look really good and give "lift" to the hair, one's hair should be either thick or coarse, or both.

I love layers, especially on curly hair, but any hair will do! ;) Layers can make your hair look so styled and gorgeous, especially the layers that start out a little shorter then longer and longer... makes your hair look longer in my opinion and faaabulous! :D
I have layers and I love them, but my ends feel super thin at the moment so growing a bit of them out, and then keeping my layers.
At first it seems that LHC is against layers because I've seen so much unlayered hair on here, and that really made me hate my layers, now I love them because I realise everyone is so different here with their different opinions, and I have my opinion too. :D
Your layers are gorgeous, it's nice to have a thread that is pro layers and not with growing them out fully! :p

Need to get a recent of the front shot.
They're great for when you want your hair down, because the style is almost always gorgeous! :p Layers can also bring out waves and curlies alot.
My layers in February:
When I first got my layered cut last year June!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5455&pictureid=71340
I loved it a ton at first, now wanting a little bit of the layers gone because I want my hair to really flow you know. :p

maskedrose
July 30th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I love my layers! I've had them for as long as I can remember, except for a brief foray into the world of blunt cuts last year, which lasted oh...3 weeks I think. Then I went back to my layers :D My wave pattern is much more pronounced, I get loose spirals towards the end of every layer, and they are great for creating lift and bounce. I'm going in for a long overdue cut next month sometime and will be getting face framing layers in the front starting at my chin, which then blend into my steep U hemline. I also get long layers throughout the length.

Kristin
July 30th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I've had my hair layered for about 10 years and usually like it. It wasn't until I started trying to grow my hair really long that I even considered a blunt cut, but I don't think I want that. Right now, I have layers throughout my hair from APL to waist and they're a bit annoying, particularly when I braid my hair. I think I'd like to have hip-length hair with layers starting around BSL. I like layers because they add movement and interest to my hair. I LOVE bun waves in my layered hair.

I don't really get splits in my hair, so I don't have issues with S&Ding my layers. When I attempt to S&D, I pull sections of hair to the front and closely examine them for splits. If the ends are dry (even if they are not splitting), I dust them a bit by pulling them straight and cutting off the tips.

I use coconut oil and/or NB's Panacea Vegan Salve every day for moisture. Aloe gel helps to smooth down the rebellious pieces.

atlantaz3
July 30th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I grew out layers, but I'm getting itchy feet to cut. I don't want the thin ends either. Here's my delimina - my crown hair is very straight with the under layers darker and having most of the wave. I'm not sure I want bangs, but would like some of the wegiht taken out of my hair (hot, heavy and pony tails don't last more than three or four hours)
Sorry for hijacking the tread - but for those with layers would you recommend them for me? (Ps I don't braid much but like to mean lady bun!)

klcqtee
July 30th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I remember being a triangle head when my hari was all one length.....it was so thick and frizzy!! It looked great when i layered it. But i had BSL hair then and SL hair now which i think the layers are too blunt for it.

The main problem is that they get damaged som much quicker than the rest of the hair. I try to S&D but its too short. I usually hild the layer vertically and dust the fuzzies.....but there are alot!!

I think im having the end dusted tomorrow and then a good trim off the layers and i'll leave it for 3 months just dusting the layers.

Coconut oil didnt agree with my hair and aloe has no effect so im always looking for something to smooth the layers without looking greasy!

I'm glad there are so many pro-layer LHCers!! Please share some piccies :D

Do you blow fry or straighten? My layers don't split any more than my ends do. I also had width issues with my hair between collar bone and just past APL. That's when I most appreciated layers. Now that my hair is BSL, I could do with or without layers, no big deal.

kristymarie87
July 30th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Do you blow fry or straighten? My layers don't split any more than my ends do. I also had width issues with my hair between collar bone and just past APL. That's when I most appreciated layers. Now that my hair is BSL, I could do with or without layers, no big deal.

I do both but not often and i only straighten it once a week. I cant NOT at the moment. I cant deal with it being so messy. Once its longer i may try again to give up.

little_cherry
July 30th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I've always loved layers...I have some slight layering going on right now; particularly in the front. When my hair gets to waist length, I'll be cutting in some subtle layers..

kristymarie87
July 31st, 2010, 09:02 AM
i just got a trim, about half inch/1 cm off the layers.....barely anything off the length. #it feels so much better! I also got my fringe back. Its still quite long but the stylist showed me a new way to style it and hide the cowlick!!

I do love my stylist we had an indepth conversation about headaches, contraceptives, sleep paralysis lol She always does exactly what i want!

Curlsgirl
July 31st, 2010, 05:21 PM
Hey I can join now! I thought I would never get layers again after it took so long to grow them out but I was just bored with my hair and it was so heavy and well to me boring after so long. So I went to a very good salon and got long layers, no shorter than chin length and that is in the front. I got it blown straight so it's hard to tell but I think I am going to like it. I was SO scared I couldn't even watch the girl cut it in the mirror LOL!

Capybara
July 31st, 2010, 08:58 PM
Just peeking in .... I love the look of layers, but don't currently have them. When I reach goal, I will definitely be cutting some in!

crystal_89
July 31st, 2010, 09:05 PM
After a lot of growing out and cutting in layers in the past, I think I'm pro-layers.

As long as I don't have funny bits sticking up on top, and my hair still looks like real hair and not extensions, I'm happy. I had some shocking layers to grow out a couple of years ago, so I'm only letting the professionals chop layers into my hair in the future.

UltraBella
July 31st, 2010, 09:20 PM
I don't think I would enjoy my hair at all if it wasn't for my layers. LOVE THEM !!!

lsnyder09
July 31st, 2010, 11:44 PM
I have curly hair (loose spirals) and I have to have at least some form of layers or I lose my curl. I keep the layers long to mid-length. They not only keep the curl strong, but they add beautiful texture and lots of volume. I keep them up by cutting my hair at least three times a year. It keeps the ends light and healthy and the layers full of life.

swivelhop
September 12th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I prefer my layers but have no clue how to maintain them. Mine start below the shoulders and are done with razor and thinning shears in so they are "blind." Most my life I had all-one-length hair.

The good:
They make tucking the ends of buns in easier! (No gigantic blunt end)
I (usually) don't have triangle head. (It is not cute past waist)
I'm not wearing a "giant black heavy parka" 24/7.
They are "blind" so no sticking out bits or flippy curling ends in my length.
The taper looks natural, like hair that is "just hair" not cut/groomed.

The bad:
No reasonable way (I know of) to trim thier ends.
People think taper is because of damage.

kristymarie87
September 12th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I cant wait until my length grows and my layers look decent!!

The length is currently just growing out of the awkward stage, maybe 1-2 inches away from APL.....but the layers are just in the awkward stage.

THERES NO JUSTICE!!! :(

swivelhop
September 12th, 2010, 07:11 AM
The only justice is while it only takes an inch of growth to make the layers go stupid, it also only takes an inch to make them become great again. :D

katha
September 12th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I have some subtle layers going on. When I asked my hairdresser to cut, she did exactly what I wanted. The shortest layers are maybe 1-2 inch shorter than my hemline, so its not much. BUt it does so much for what my hair looks like when I wair it down. Love it. :)

restourceful
September 12th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I toyed with the idea of going blunt again, but now that I'm at waist in the longest layers and below shoulder in the shortest, I'm having an easier time getting it all into a bun. It is nice to be able to tuck that last little end under a bun and not have a bunch of stickie-outies, which I haven't been able to do before this length. There are still a few buns I have trouble with because the shorter lengths are still not long enough to give me the bulk I need in that particular twist or turn, but it's getting better every month. Braids...well, they'll just always taper to nothingness and have lots of stickie-outies, it's just the nature of the beast. But I don't wear braids out that often now that I can do some nice one stick buns, so the trade off works for me.

LisaMonster
November 30th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Bumping this thread. We need some love for layers!

Sunny_side_up
November 30th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Ooo last few weeks have been considering layers on and off, remember when i had my choppy cut done the compliments! How i loved wearin my hair out, the 'swishy' feeling felt lovely at wash times. Recently i've had negative feelins about my hair. somedays feel like goin to shoulder and keepin it there. Layers could save most of the length, however im not a salon goer and the upkeep- trims and maintenance issues saw me getting fed up of my layers and the grow out process began. Then, i feel conscientious of tatty shorter lengths on me as it grows, tying it up hassles.. etc will i never get them again, hard to say:p layers could be beckoning!

LotusFIre
November 30th, 2010, 01:43 PM
OK, I am TOTALLY on the fence with this one! I really don't know what my hair will look like long with layers. I already have layers, so I can either just let it grow as is, or wait until it gets to BSL and trim and maintain there until it is all one length. I guess I don't have to decide now..but I worry that with layers it will look too thin because of my fine texture, but without, I will feel sad without a little face framing. I wish I could have BOTH!!!

Alix
November 30th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I've never harbored any hatred for my layers because I know what my hair is like without them. Completely unmanageable. My shortest (excluding fringe) just hit shoulders. I'm going to have to get them recut as it gets longer and I am not looking forward to that day because I have yet to find a salon I like to cut my hair when its SHORT. Much less long.

leslissocool
November 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM
No triangle hair for me.... I looove shaggy layers!

Avital88
November 30th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Yeaaaahh,, i think layers look better on me too. especially on the front else my face looks longer and my hair boring flat

LisaMonster
November 30th, 2010, 02:17 PM
My layers that I had cut back in August are starting to grow out, and my hair is starting to lose its shape a little bit, but I'm trying to hold off cutting again until at least March...

My stylist and I have a good relationship, though, he knows that he is there to cut my layers and if he takes more than 1/2" off of my length, I will cry.

Bonkers57
November 30th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Since my hair is fine and straight, I've always been told layers are a no-no - they'll just make my hair look stringier.

Now I've come to terms with the fact that my hair looks thin regardless if its long, short or however it's cut. In my Bangs album I have various pics of me with different bang styles. Judging by what my husband and several people on this site have said, the layered (and highlighted) look with the sideswept bangs get the most positive response.

So I may consider face-framing layers when my hair's a bit longer.

leslissocool
December 8th, 2010, 03:06 AM
I think I'm getting side swept bangs!!! I am still thinking about it... but I really want some change!

Vorvolaka
December 8th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I do like layers but I'm not fond of a large gap between longest and shortest, which I feel I have at the moment hence my current unhappiness with my hair.

einna
December 8th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I have layers, and I like them. Nice thread!

Right now they are bothering me though, because the shortest is just over my shoulders, and the longest is APL. When I braid my hair it looks bad, and its hard to do updoes. Still, I am not going to cut them out, because it makes my hair look better down, and it will look god when my hair is longer =)

einna
December 9th, 2010, 04:16 PM
PS: Anyone got tips for hairdoes for APL hair with layers?

LisaMonster
December 14th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Einna- you could try playing around with clipping sections back.

This has been my go-to style for quite awhile:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs993.snc4/76604_1499226797612_1142400126_31203058_5373913_n. jpg