PDA

View Full Version : Hair stopped growing

frizzalot
July 29th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Hi all,

I am just over three months pregnant and I have noticed that my hair has not grown at all (not even half an inch!) in the last three months! I've heard that hair supposedly grows faster? I am stuck at 28inches, I've had my hair up to my hips before which I think is my terminal length. Can terminal length change?

Anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? The only thing I can think of is that my body is dedicating its growing resources elsewhere ;) .

The ends of my hair are getting increasingly scraggly and dry. I really don't want to cut it but it really needs it, looks like 4 inches need to go but I will probably only cut 2. I'm so close to waist, the longest bit is there but the others need to 'catch up'.

I was taking a multivitamin before I found out, but I don't think not taking it would cause a growth stunt because I was gaining an inch monthly before I took it.

Flossy
July 29th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? The only thing I can think of is that my body is dedicating its growing resources elsewhere ;) .

Some women seem to grow metres of hair when they are pregnant, but I was never that lucky. Mine seems to creep along just enough to force me to colour my roots!

I think you are totally normal, just on one end of the spectrum (with me!). BTW, I never got the texture changes or big shed that some women get either.

LILBERT
July 29th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Have you been very sick? i was extremely sick and my hair suffered because there was basically no nutrients left for it, between baby and my needs. :o

Jessfoz
July 29th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Yeah I'm six months along and seems very slow :(, but then I've only just committed to growing long and not damaging my hair... so I had to cut it right back it was so bad. I'm constantly trying different commercial and homemade treatme nowadays and myabe it's a bit of a case of watching the kettle but it seems horribly slow, and my nails aren't growing like talons like they say either.

There's so many vitamins for your hair I want to try out too but and too worried to while I'm preggo. :( Just have to suffer it I guess :rolleyes:

frizzalot
July 29th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I was throwing up alot in weeks 7~13, but that's only about 4 weeks. My shedding hasn't changed much, is that affected by nutrients?

I don't remember having this issue last time, but then i didnt measure my hair.

I was also thinking about pre-natal pill but i'm too scared to take them aswell.
Guess I'm going to have to suffer it as well

Glad to know I'm not the only one tho(sorry to all who are having stunted growth!) :blossom:

Jessfoz
July 29th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Why are you worried about taking a prenatal?

I take one, not that it helps hair growth.

frizzalot
July 29th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I don't believe big corporations are making pre-natal pills for my benefit, rather to make money and i don't trust what they allow to go into them. What appears to be safe today, may not be tomorrow. I've been taking multi-vits for a while and i've noticed the RDA figures changing every now and then.

If you do a quick search on the net you'll find certain vitamins can even cause birth defects. Even folic acid has some dangers.

I am eating sensibly now, so my body is getting all the nutrients it needs. I only wanted to take vitamins for my hair, which i would rather wait another 6 months than take something which i don't know about. - my personal opinion :blossom:

Jessfoz
July 29th, 2010, 07:11 AM
That makes sense. There's no control on them. And I guess we shouldn't really need vitamins if we eat properly, it's getting that dietary balance that is so often talked about.

I'm not sure what vitamins I'll take after bubs but I remember seeing something on here about someone forming their own cocktail of vitamins to very pleasing results. If it's not too personal to ask will you breastfeed and if so will you wait till you're not breastfeeding to start the hair vitamins or take them while breastfeeding... I'm not sure what to do but that probably sounds naive. :o

frizzalot
July 29th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Do you remember who posted it and whether it was a recent thread?

I'm planning to breastfeed for at least the first 6 months and I'm not going to take any supplements till I finish. I didn't think about homemade treatments, I'll probably look into that :)

Whatever you decide to do I would suggest you research it, you'll find plenty of info on the net. Whether you decide to bottle or breastfeed, it's entirely up to you, i know alot of people (hospital staff, friends + family) will try to force their views on you, but its your body and your baby.

good luck x

Anje
July 29th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Pregnancy aside, stalling between BSL and waist is really common. I got stuck there for a few months while wearing my hair up most of the time. That said, if you're wearing it loose, you might find you need to put it in protective styles to grow past this point. The last few inches can now rub on chair backs and who knows what else, so many folks find that they start really accumulating damage past BSL.

ptnicole
July 30th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Congratulations on your pregnancy. If you are eating balanced diet, getting moderate excercise, you will get over this hump. I am sure it your hormones going "what the heck???? I have a baby to take care of now too???".

My hair did the same thing with my two babies..sort of stalled for first 4-5 months, month 6-birth and while breastfeeding...I was a hair growing machine. Then 6 months after my second one was born, I lost a scary amount of hair (turned out to be a low thyroid after babies). All is well 4 years later though.

So exciting...I pray you have a healthy pregnancy, birth and little baby!

GlennaGirl
July 30th, 2010, 10:16 PM
When I was pregnant, my shedding all but stopped, so my hair eventually appeared much thicker than it normally does...but it did NOT grow faster. That I'm sure of. I did take prenantal vitamins. :) Congratulations on your pregnancy! Good health to you and your little one!