PDA

View Full Version : First Fishtail/Fishbone Braid

yellowchariot
July 28th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I've been practicing this style off an on, when I get a chance, for a while now. It takes me a long time to do one. I'm still clueless as to how to hold the 2 strands while adding in small sections from opposite sides?! :confused: I had to actually let go of one side to grab a small piece to add to the adjacent section that I was holding, then repeat the whole process. My arms are sore hehe!

So here is my 3rd attempt, and it doesn't look very good either:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/Fishtail1.jpg?t=1280374291

^ Yes, I'm wearing a towel! I just had stepped out of the shower. I avoided getting my hair wet.

I tried to "French" it, from the top, but I was clueless! :D
I barely managed this!

Gumball
July 28th, 2010, 09:39 PM
You still did a bang-up job, yellowchariot! Those braids are always darn time consuming. Whenever I've had to hold it while grabbing more hair I just stuck a finger down on the middle to hold the two recently crossed strands, basically pinning them down so they don't escape.

Princess Kitti
July 28th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Looks pretty good to me - I can barely do a regular braid, so I'm impressed :)

yellowchariot
July 28th, 2010, 09:43 PM
You still did a bang-up job, yellowchariot! Those braids are always darn time consuming. Whenever I've had to hold it while grabbing more hair I just stuck a finger down on the middle to hold the two recently crossed strands, basically pinning them down so they don't escape.

^ I appreciate that, Gumball! This took double the time, that it takes me to do a 3 strand braid! :rant:

Petite Simone
July 28th, 2010, 09:46 PM
funnily enough I just tried this on one of my old dolls for practice (don't judge lol). I had the same problem trying to figure out how to hold the two strands. And for the record, you did a pretty darn good job considering you're still learning.

Tabihito
July 28th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I consider herringbone braids to be way more trouble than they're worth, but then I'm braid impaired. Yours looks awesome, though, and I've always been of the opinion that braids are one of the best things a long-haired guy can do.

Rennire
July 28th, 2010, 09:55 PM
It looks great yellowchariot! I like where you decided to "French" it. It kind of looks like a (manly) bow or a butterfly =)

yellowchariot
July 28th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Looks pretty good to me - I can barely do a regular braid, so I'm impressed :)

Thanks Princess Kitti, with a little practice a 3 strand braid is very easy to do.

funnily enough I just tried this on one of my old dolls for practice (don't judge lol). I had the same problem trying to figure out how to hold the two strands. And for the record, you did a pretty darn good job considering you're still learning.

I appreciate that, Petite Simone! I was kind of hoping for the best, and trying to remember that I was only dealing with 2 strands! I kept wanting to through in a 3rd one :D lol

I consider herringbone braids to be way more trouble than they're worth, but then I'm braid impaired. Yours looks awesome, though, and I've always been of the opinion that braids are one of the best things a long-haired guy can do.

Tabihito, thanks for the support! IMO this is the most difficult type, for me to do.

It looks great yellowchariot! I like where you decided to "French" it. It kind of looks like a (manly) bow or a butterfly =)

Hey Rennire, I tried to "French" it on the top of my head, however I actually grabbed my hair very low toward the bottom, like you would do a regular English braid. It just so happened that I was holding my hands up higher than usual! :D

freckles
July 29th, 2010, 04:48 AM
these are my favourite kind of braids, and yours looks great! They do take ages compared to a 3-strand, though.

Long_hair_guy
July 29th, 2010, 05:00 AM
I have always wanted to do this style but it just ends up looking like a ladder. Well done yellowchariot

pepperminttea
July 29th, 2010, 06:25 AM
It looks really neat to me, nice job. :)

kimki
July 29th, 2010, 06:41 AM
It looks awesome. :) Your get the hang of it in no time. I braid my DH's hair and he prefers a fishtail braid. When I first started doing it I found it easier using an elastic at the top.

BattahZ
July 29th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Nicely done! Fishtail braids look so intimidating, I haven't even mustered up the courage to try one.

maxzeen
July 29th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Yellochariot YOU DID IT!!! Good job! I remember you saying that you weren't too sure about it. It looks awesome :D!

Alvrodul
July 29th, 2010, 08:40 AM
The braid actually looks good! I have never even tried to do a herringbone braid - I have enough trouble doing an ordinary braid to even consider doing any fancy stuff!:rolleyes:

Phexlyn
July 29th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Good job on the herringbone.
I only do those if I really don't have anything else to worry about because they take so long and it's really tiring for the arms... but I just love the look of a herringbone braid :D

TrudieCat
July 29th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I think it looks great! Nice job!! :cheer:

Merewen
July 29th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Yeah, they take FOREVER.

To French braid it split the hair you are starting with into 2 sections and switch the 2 sections back and forth between your hands, alternating which strand you are holding on top. Add a little bit of hair to the strand on top. Don't twist the strands - they should just pretty much move up and down next to each other.

I hope that makes sense! It can be tricky but is kinda cool after you get the hang of it, if you are patient enough to finish the thing (French braiding it makes it take twice as long).

little_cherry
July 29th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Looks AWESOME! YC! :) I haven't attempted to do a fishtail this way..I can only do the French fishtail since my hair is creeeeeping along! :D

How I do French fishtail:
Brush your hair back and start with a section of hair from the front (just like a French braid. Split it in two and twist the two sections together once to keep them solid. Hold both sections in one hand. Just like a French braid, take a small section from the left (or right) with your thumb cross it over the nearest strand and add it to the inside of the other strand. So, if you're holding the sections with your left hand, add the piece of hair with your left. Transfer your hair to the other hand and repeat the process for the other side. When you get to the bottom and there is no more hair to add you can tie it off or keep going with just a fishtail braid.

Hope that made sense.

Henrietta
July 29th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Close to perfect. Really. Don't be so critical! I know you have an exact vision of your braid but objectively it looks awesome;) Mine looks almost like a regular english braid:D

James M
July 29th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Dude that's a good first attempt.

I really like how the braid looks. I want to try it!

I am awful at braiding. I can't even coordinate myself in a mirror, and when I try to weave them I always end up dropping one, and then in an effort to save it, I'll lose my others.

teela1978
July 29th, 2010, 11:34 AM
That's one I always have trouble with. I can do it on other people, but on myself my arms get too tired! Yours looks great though.

yellowchariot
July 30th, 2010, 06:44 AM
these are my favourite kind of braids, and yours looks great! They do take ages compared to a 3-strand, though.

^ I know, freckles, you would think they would be less time consuming, working with just 2 strands hehe!

I have always wanted to do this style but it just ends up looking like a ladder. Well done yellowchariot

Thanks Lhg, It reminds me of the Lord of The Rings styles that the Elves wore.

It looks really neat to me, nice job. :)

Thank you pepperminttea, It was slightly crooked. I've noticed that if you have to keep these kinds of braids very even.

It looks awesome. :) Your get the hang of it in no time. I braid my DH's hair and he prefers a fishtail braid. When I first started doing it I found it easier using an elastic at the top.

^ kimki, I will have to try that method next time!

Nicely done! Fishtail braids look so intimidating, I haven't even mustered up the courage to try one.

BattahZ, the best way to go at it is to dive in! I wasn't for sure, if I was even doing it right until 15 minutes later haha.

Yellochariot YOU DID IT!!! Good job! I remember you saying that you weren't too sure about it. It looks awesome :D!

maxzeen, I know! I'm going to have to start working my arms harder, because by the time I was finished, they were numb! lol

The braid actually looks good! I have never even tried to do a herringbone braid - I have enough trouble doing an ordinary braid to even consider doing any fancy stuff!:rolleyes:

Alvrodul, it just takes some time and patience. I keep having to tell myself that I'm using 2 strands, instead of 3. Very awkward at first!

Good job on the herringbone.
I only do those if I really don't have anything else to worry about because they take so long and it's really tiring for the arms... but I just love the look of a herringbone braid :D

^ I agree Phexlyn, they're great if you have a lot of time, especially when your internet connection goes down! Then I should be a pro by then lol.

I think it looks great! Nice job!! :cheer:

Thanks TrudieCat, much appreciated

Yeah, they take FOREVER.

To French braid it split the hair you are starting with into 2 sections and switch the 2 sections back and forth between your hands, alternating which strand you are holding on top. Add a little bit of hair to the strand on top. Don't twist the strands - they should just pretty much move up and down next to each other.

I hope that makes sense! It can be tricky but is kinda cool after you get the hang of it, if you are patient enough to finish the thing (French braiding it makes it take twice as long).

Looks AWESOME! YC! :) I haven't attempted to do a fishtail this way..I can only do the French fishtail since my hair is creeeeeping along! :D

How I do French fishtail:
Brush your hair back and start with a section of hair from the front (just like a French braid. Split it in two and twist the two sections together once to keep them solid. Hold both sections in one hand. Just like a French braid, take a small section from the left (or right) with your thumb cross it over the nearest strand and add it to the inside of the other strand. So, if you're holding the sections with your left hand, add the piece of hair with your left. Transfer your hair to the other hand and repeat the process for the other side. When you get to the bottom and there is no more hair to add you can tie it off or keep going with just a fishtail braid.

Hope that made sense.

^ Merewen, thanks a lot for those directions! I'll have to just take time and try to get the hang of doing that. The finger and hand alterations always confuse me!

Close to perfect. Really. Don't be so critical! I know you have an exact vision of your braid but objectively it looks awesome;) Mine looks almost like a regular english braid:D

Henrietta, I appreciate that compliment. Even though I don't think it's anywhere close to perfect. That is true, I've got an image in my mind of what the outcome should look like. So, I guess that's why I didn't do that great.

yellowchariot
July 30th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Dude that's a good first attempt.

I really like how the braid looks. I want to try it!

I am awful at braiding. I can't even coordinate myself in a mirror, and when I try to weave them I always end up dropping one, and then in an effort to save it, I'll lose my others.

James M, I was horrible at making any kind of braid. The key is patience and practice, and of course the kind members here that posted excellent instructions and tutorials!

That's one I always have trouble with. I can do it on other people, but on myself my arms get too tired! Yours looks great though.

teela, I was having problems making it. I thought I was messing up, however it started to "clean" up as reached the bottom. I felt as if I did a cardio work out when I finished haha.

eamane
July 30th, 2010, 07:56 AM
That looks pretty great for being just third attempt! I cannot do it on myself but I try on DD sometimes and it just fails out totally! But I WILL learn how... Someday ;)

BattahZ
July 30th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Well, per your advice, I'm going to try one this weekend! I'm afraid my shortest layers are probably still too short and will stick out, but I'll at least see if I can figure out the mechanics.

Keep the awesome tutorials coming :)

dropinthebucket
July 30th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Awesome! :D

I'm still learning basic french braids :(

DanielleRenae
August 6th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I remember many months ago you talked of trying to master this braid. I think you did it! It's REALLY hard to braid a fishtail on the back of your head (I can truly only braid it to the side without the pieces getting lopsided) and it looks great. *high five*

auburn
August 6th, 2010, 01:47 AM
This type of braid (french braid?) is easyyyy to do. I just can't do it blindly, so I can only make one with my hair on one side, in front, over the shoulder.
It looks better if it's made with bigger strands(like...finger-size), the really small ones look frizzy.

Brings me memmories... when I was in highschool I used to braid like that the hair of the girl siting in front of me. She always wore it in pony tail, and loved it when I braided it. :)

P.S.-it's essential to make a clear delinitation of the 2 parts/sides of the braid, so do it tight and keep it very streight.

loke this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_H_IEA-URpJw/S_k_7VACtpI/AAAAAAAAPzM/4_HdTriwfMA/s320/fergie-fish-tail-braid-photo.jpg

and here you can take a closer look of how big the strands should be: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_p0Kt28QRU1I/SmaSsRkQ3SI/AAAAAAAAD-w/fRG0MN86c2w/s400/DSCN4563.JPG But she did it TOO TIGHT here. You must to it TIGHT, but not that tight, the braid must look the strands DESCEND, I mean, diagonal on the delimitation line.

P.S.2- it;s intimidating cause you really can;t figure out how to do it if you haven;t seen somebody actually doing it, so look for some on youtube. It's very easy to do.

Chrissy
August 6th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I think it looks good for your first one. I'm a hair style idiot. Really I am. My hair is fine and I don't have the patience to keep trying. I stick with very easy stuff. Ponytails, buns.....anyway you are so on your way. You seem to learn styles quickly.

hmmm
August 7th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I tried it too today, and yours looks a looot better than mine! I had trouble figuring out the mechanics of it too, but I think I get it now... Great job!

tinti
August 7th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Good job, Yellowchariot!
I just stick my longest (uh, don't know what that finger is called in English) inbetseen my two strands and then securing with my pointie and my ringfinger. Or just hold one strand like a pony and stick the other one between pointie and longest finger, if that makes sense. Then you can add strands with the other, free hand.

Speedbump
August 7th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Yellowchariot, I know you don't think that looks good, but I think it looks great for a first effort, and I know far exceeds my personal abilities. So good on ya! :D

yellowchariot
August 7th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I really appreciate all of your all's kind words! Thank you! :)

I just now stepped out of the shower, and decided to try another attempt at the fishtail. This time my wet slippery hair, made it easier to do one looser, which helped the form of the "fishbone" appearance to look very defined.

My arms were getting very tired, so I tried the "over-the-shoulder" length method. It was a success. My hair is finally long enough to bring over my shoulders. I was able to get in a few more crossovers, than what I normally could :D :

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/UpdatedFishtailAug720102.jpg?t=1281235807

However, you can see that I as approached the bottom, it started to look more like an English braid. At this point, I would holding the 2 strands very loosely ( ". . . hold on loosely, but don't let go. . . " ;) )

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/UpdatedFishtailAug720103.jpg?t=1281235942

yellowchariot
August 8th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I slept in the fishtail overnight, and took it out this morning. I did have trouble "un-weaving" it. It began to tangle. I assume is it because of the fine intricate pattern that the fishtail creates. I had to comb through a few tangles. So here is the result, fish waves lol:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/fishtailwaves.jpg?t=1281285223

loralie
August 8th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Pretty braid, pretty waves! Gosh your hair is just as long as mine and I still can't get it to work- le sigh. You don't really have any layers though, hey?

ghost
August 8th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Yeah!! I say it looks good :D
Fishtail braids look really cool. I've been making them for a while and I *still* can't get a successful French-style fish braid into my own hair. It drives me crazy.

yellowchariot
August 8th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Pretty braid, pretty waves! Gosh your hair is just as long as mine and I still can't get it to work- le sigh. You don't really have any layers though, hey?

Thanks loralie! I did have layers, but they are almost all one length. They don't stick out until the very bottom.

Yeah!! I say it looks good :D
Fishtail braids look really cool. I've been making them for a while and I *still* can't get a successful French-style fish braid into my own hair. It drives me crazy.

ghost, the french part will be my next attempt. Just when I think it's working, I look in the mirror. . . and realize now matter how many times I crossed the strands over. . . my hair is still in 2 separate sections. Nothing had changed! hehe :o

Gnomentum
August 12th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Well, I thought the first pic looked really good - the second set looks great and I'm living the braidwaves! I think the herringbone really suits you, it's not a girly braid at all IMO.. looks good, keep at it! And yes, it takes AGES. I'm thinking of trying twin french herringbones sometime soon. Masochistic or what eh...

starlights
August 12th, 2010, 05:11 PM
It looks great!!!

missfortune9335
August 12th, 2010, 06:55 PM
great job! you're just a braid offcianado aren't you ;)
I found that one difficult to learn at first, I used to practice it once a night before I went to bed, every night until I got it right. lol

my hair is longer now (horray!) but I used to just do a herringbone in a french style
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3793&pictureid=51325

yellowchariot
August 18th, 2010, 01:00 PM
^ Thanks for the complients everyone, I'm trying to learn the "French" version. I'll post a pic later on when I've got it down pat.

great job! you're just a braid offcianado aren't you ;)
I found that one difficult to learn at first, I used to practice it once a night before I went to bed, every night until I got it right. lol

my hair is longer now (horray!) but I used to just do a herringbone in a french style
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3793&pictureid=51325

missfortune9335, yours looks amazing! Very intricate and detailed!

Joliebaby
August 18th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Well that's still impressive! Frenching it no less!! I've never ventured to try out one though I've always thought they look super cool! Now I must search for instructions and start practicing. So maybe there will be a picture next year hehe.

Nevada Rose
August 18th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I've been practicing this style off an on, when I get a chance, for a while now. It takes me a long time to do one. I'm still clueless as to how to hold the 2 strands while adding in small sections from opposite sides?! :confused: I had to actually let go of one side to grab a small piece to add to the adjacent section that I was holding, then repeat the whole process. My arms are sore hehe!

So here is my 3rd attempt, and it doesn't look very good either:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/Fishtail1.jpg?t=1280374291

^ Yes, I'm wearing a towel! I just had stepped out of the shower. I avoided getting my hair wet.

I tried to "French" it, from the top, but I was clueless! :D
I barely managed this!

Beautiful braid there Yellowchariot. I have problems just doing a regular braid. They are always sideways.:rolleyes:

eezepeeze
August 18th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Congrats on getting the hang of a new look! Feels good, doesn't it?

I always use my mouth to hold the extra strand when doing this braid. Mouths and chins make great 3rd and 4th hands. :-)

Arielle8960
August 18th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I love these braids! I've never mastered the "french" part of the fishtail, but yours looks great, so I'm inspired to keep working on it.

bunzfan
August 19th, 2010, 05:20 AM

I think your braid looks great. Mine always seems to come undone after about 30 minutes think i need more length.