PDA

View Full Version : New Hair Idol

MissManda
July 28th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I was browsing hair-related videos on YouTube last night, and I stumbled across ThePinkLadyJ's channel. Has anyone else heard of her or seen her videos? I don't think she's a member here, although I could be wrong, but I didn't recognize her.

The video I stumbled across was about her hair care routine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu7u37BlTdU), which lead me to a video of her brushing her hair (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ8hoYC-J7M&feature=watch_response_rev).

Her hair really seems to be in nice condition and I was even more amazed by the fact that her hair type bears a striking resemblance to my own (texture, thickness, etc.). It also happens to be in the vicinity of my goal length, which makes me very excited because I've been wondering what my hair is going to look like at classic length. She even says that she was born with lots of hair on her head, which is another thing I have in common with her.

Now I can't wait until my hair gets to be as long as hers! She is definitely on my hair idol list. :D

I also happen to like some of her makeup videos, too. I'd love to try some of them if I had enough makeup.

ETA: I just found a video that is a slideshow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVZssNu6Wq0) of pictures that really show off her hair.

Ravenwaves 88
July 28th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Do you think she pre brushed her hair for the video? It seems strange that she brushes from the top. Plus I'm surprised that brush doesn't cause static for her.....those kind always give me static! Her hair is beautiful so I guess she's doing what is right for her.

freckles
July 28th, 2010, 07:39 PM
She has really gorgeous hair. That said, I wasn't too keen on the video. She was quite viciously anti-fairytale-ends in a way that went beyond the fact that she just didn't like them or want them and into being pretty mean ... "a foot of nasty split ends" ... "grows into a nasty point", etc. I don't have or want fairytale ends and still, I was kind of put on the defensive by the way she spoke about them.

MissManda
July 28th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Do you think she pre brushed her hair for the video? It seems strange that she brushes from the top. Plus I'm surprised that brush doesn't cause static for her.....those kind always give me static! Her hair is beautiful so I guess she's doing what is right for her.

Yeah, the brush seemed to be going through her hair quite easily, so I'm thinking she might have pre-detangled. lol But then again, brushes go fairly easily through my hair because my tangles aren't that bad unless I really neglect it (that never happens anymore). Straighter hair textures don't seem to have as many issues with brushing/combing. I don't know how she detangles with that type of brush, because it doesn't work for me very well.

She said she uses a BBB (or something similar) in her haircare video, and I don't get static from my BBB, either. It fluffs and separates my hair, yes, but it doesn't cause static. I mostly encounter static with plastic combs and brushes. I think it really depends on hair type, however.

Nevertheless, her hair is lovely and I have serious length envy right now.

She has really gorgeous hair. That said, I wasn't too keen on the video. She was quite viciously anti-fairytale-ends in a way that went beyond the fact that she just didn't like them or want them and into being pretty mean ... "a foot of nasty split ends" ... "grows into a nasty point", etc. I don't have or want fairytale ends and still, I was kind of put on the defensive by the way she spoke about them.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I disagree with her in that respect as well, but I tried not to get upset because that's just her preference, but I can understand why it would upset people because of how aggressive.

My grandmother is the same way and she would totally flip at the sight of my unevenly-grown hemline. I like my hair in a blunter cut, but I think fairytale ends are beautiful in a very natural way.

SurprisingWoman
July 28th, 2010, 07:52 PM
She is very young but she does have very beautiful hair.

And, I am not just saying that "arbitrarily" :p

Kristin
July 28th, 2010, 07:59 PM

Exactly. To quote a favorite movie: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Ravenwaves 88
July 28th, 2010, 09:14 PM
She is very young but she does have very beautiful hair.

Sometimes when ppl are nervous.....thier brain grabs whatever comes first. Or maybe she really doesn't know...lol.

About the fairytale ends......she is entitled to her opinion and she isn't saying that on LHC forums where people are encouraged to be more tolerant of other people's opinions. It wasn't nice but it is her own video forum.

Just my thoughts! :D

irisheyes
July 28th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Well, as I was looking at pink lady's video, I noticed another video on the Youtube sidebar, so I clicked on. I don't know how to link to it, but the title is Soft Melody (Parousia), and it features 4 musical young ladies who have the most gorgeous long hair! They look like they've never had a haircut, either. Just fantastic!

1953Diygal
July 28th, 2010, 09:56 PM

(devil's advocate tag) I took what she said to mean that not all long hair is drop-dead gorgeous. There are some folks out there that could use a trim, or at the very least, some TLC. (/devil's advocate tag)

That's just how I perceived it. Please don't flame me for my perceptions. :flower:

adiapalic
July 28th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Exactly. To quote a favorite movie: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Inigo Montoya...love it. I whip out that quote on occasion, when necessary. :laugh: hehe.

I also agree about the diatribe against so-called "ratty" ends. It was... well, annoying. I know a lot of people feel that way about longer hair. They see an uneven hemline and they think "ew, trim time".

Hearing it from someone who has very long hair is a bit surprising--you would think they'd be more inclined to respect another's hair choices, and less inclined to say "I do it, so should you" if not from their own experience in keeping an unconventionally long length of hair and resisting pressure to change it from other people.

She does have gorgeous, thick hair. And I definitely relate to some of her answers about having long hair, especially the "how long have you been growing one." I just trim at a rate less than it grows, and voila... it's longer over time. I've had long hair all my life too, and can't remember much about short hair. I prefer keeping a neat hemline on myself. I wash my hair almost the same way she does, minus daily... and I use a somewhat pricey conditioner and shampoo.

She does offer up some great advice about heat tools. Maybe that will dispel some of the myths of "my hair just won't grow long" on some of the people looking for advice. :)

AnnaMarie
July 29th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I wanted to listen, but I was too distracted by that lip liner :bigeyes:

Juneii
July 29th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I stumbled across her videos about a week ago and liked her hair. However, the way she talks (or way she projects herself on camera, not sure what it is) seem to grind on my nerves for some reason. But that is my own opinion and not meant to be taken too harshly.
I think her hair is beautiful, I cringed a bit at her brushing since it seems as though she ripped it through her hair. It looks like her hair can put up with it though :) it would be nice to see her here on LHC.

Catladyintown
July 29th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Well, as I was looking at pink lady's video, I noticed another video on the Youtube sidebar, so I clicked on. I don't know how to link to it, but the title is Soft Melody (Parousia), and it features 4 musical young ladies who have the most gorgeous long hair! They look like they've never had a haircut, either. Just fantastic!
Hi Irisheyes here are some links to there website. They are the Broaddus Sisters. All four have beautiful hair.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46220
http://www.parousiaband.com/fr_index.cfm

Synthemesc
July 29th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I wanted to listen, but I was too distracted by that lip liner :bigeyes:

Second that, then I averted my eyes about the time it got to the ratty end arbitrary goodness. Gave up at that point.

christine1989
July 29th, 2010, 01:36 AM
The hair- AWESOME! The lipstick.....not so much.... ;)

loralie
July 29th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Well, you know what? I "arbitrarily" started growing my hair, but it's grown into a determined, daily conviction. And you know what else? I am defensive of every last inch that I've grown. I don't think it's "ratty" but it does come to a point, which I happen to personally like better than a blunt cut- on me. I mean, I know it's her opinion but her assumptions are born of ingrown arrogance, rather than being flattered by the attention and wanting to humbly share how she takes are of her hair.

I lol'd at the Princess Bride reference- EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING

She's got great hair, but the attitude? I'd rather have a shaved head and the grace that I have now, than her head full of hair and a rotten friggin attitude.

UltraBella
July 29th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Hair, lovely. Attitude, not so much.
As a makeup artist, I am surprised I heard a word she said........... I had a hard time not focusing on her lips.

akrasia
July 29th, 2010, 02:08 AM
It looks like stage make-up--maybe she did it especially for the camera?

She has a great video tutorial of the Chinese two-braids-wound-around-a-stick bun (or whatever you call it). It looked so good and so easy that I tried it this morning myself. (Mine um, didn't look quite so good as hers. Oh well.)

Medievalmaniac
July 29th, 2010, 03:38 AM

This really bothered me, as well. I think it's fine to have opinions on things like that, and even to voice them, and even to voice them loudly and proudly - but to assert that every woman who has fairy tale ends or a deep "V" is walking around with a foot of "nasty-ass split ends and damage" (not to mention her having left the fellows out entirely, sorry guys! ;)) is entirely unfair - as we know well, there are many women who have fairy ends and Vs intentionally and they look wonderful. Aside from that, I do think her hair is lovely and she clearly takes good care of it.

jackiesjottings
July 29th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I envy her her thickness!

freckles
July 29th, 2010, 04:30 AM
This really bothered me, as well. I think it's fine to have opinions on things like that, and even to voice them, and even to voice them loudly and proudly - but to assert that every woman who has fairy tale ends or a deep "V" is walking around with a foot of "nasty-ass split ends and damage" (not to mention her having left the fellows out entirely, sorry guys! ;)) is entirely unfair - as we know well, there are many women who have fairy ends and Vs intentionally and they look wonderful. Aside from that, I do think her hair is lovely and she clearly takes good care of it.

Yeah, I'm a bit confused at how people on here reacted to my post ... sure, she has a right to her opinion, that's why I'm posting here and not on her channel :p But, in my opinion, her opinion is rudely stated :lol:

Pumpkin
July 29th, 2010, 05:34 AM
If time was take to watch the entire video, you would have to give her credit for being against heat styling and brushing wet hair. I also found it interesting, like many of us do, she uses inexpensive shampoo and conditioner.

Kudos to her for taking care of her long hair and enjoying the hair journey. :)

Sammich
July 29th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Her hair is absolutely amazing, and I haven't even looked at her routine yet, must look! >> Teehee.
:D

s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n
July 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM
It looks like stage make-up--maybe she did it especially for the camera?

I somewhat forced myself to listen till the end of the video. She said she just made a kind of make-up request or tutorial, that's why she was wearing it at that point. I felt quite annoyed by her manner of speech, voice, and attitude at the beginning of watching the video, then I became interested, then a bit shocked, and I really can't figure out what I feel about the lady :rolleyes:

LouLaLa
July 29th, 2010, 11:00 AM
She brushed her hair pretty rough, my hair would snap if I pulled a brush through like that.

Does anyone else brush alot slower and gentler or is this the norm?

ps I just read her disclaimers, I cant belive peeople aske her to cut her hair or donate it. Its not their business! Plus she makes a good point, if thats what you beleive grow it and cut to donate yourself. Sheesh youtube commenters can be SO annoying!

irisheyes
July 29th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Catladyintown, thank you so much for the links to Parousia. Although they are much younger than me, they are my new hair idols. And their music is lovely as well.

ButterCream
July 29th, 2010, 11:45 AM
She has lovely, lovely hair.

Just to bad she didn`t have a lovely attitude to go with that hair also...:rolleyes:

LouLaLa
July 29th, 2010, 11:48 AM
She has lovely, lovely hair.

Just to bad she didn`t have a lovely attitude to go with that hair also...:rolleyes:

I thought this a little too, I think LHC is just populated by really polite supportive souls.

She could be mean but maybe she was just more aggressive as she was answering her critics and it made her passionate.

I was expecting a really soft chilled video!

MissManda
July 29th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Does anyone else brush alot slower and gentler or is this the norm?

I know I brush my hair more slowly and gently than she does, unless I pre-detangle first and only if I am using my BBB to smooth my hair. I've observed my friends brushing their hair much more roughly than she does, however and I cannot help but cringe when I hear the hair being ripped out. They have actually expressed shock and surprise at how long it takes me to brush my hair. :rolleyes:

No, I do not like her attitude, either as it's snotty. I didn't say anything about it before because I didn't want to sound like i was flaming her or anything. I don't like creating conflict.

The blue lips were a bit... distracting. XD

LouLaLa
July 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I know I brush my hair more slowly and gently than she does, unless I pre-detangle first and only if I am using my BBB to smooth my hair. I've observed my friends brushing their hair much more roughly than she does, however and I cannot help but cringe when I hear the hair being ripped out. They have actually expressed shock and surprise at how long it takes me to brush my hair. :rolleyes:

Maybe its because we are only "arbitrarily" growing our hair to borrow a phrase from a youtube I saw tralalala:p

I just brushed my hair now and it took a fair old ammount of time!