PDA

View Full Version : Help--I am NOT damaging my hair!

Domino
July 28th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Hi everyone :)

Today my friend touched the ends of my hair and said it's "crispy" and I've been feeling quite blue since then.

Now, I've just trimmed it last month and I haven't been using any heat because it's so damn hot outside and I only shampoo my scalp with conditioner on the lenght. The condish contains amodimethicone, but I haven't had issues with build-up even when I was CO using the same conditioner. The gel I use about once a week has no cones, so does the shampoo I use about 3 times a week. I don't oil too much because it causes breakouts on my cheeks, and can't leave in condish. I try to keep the last C part of my CWC on for 3-4 minutes every wash. I secure my braids with ribbons or scrunchies and my buns with sticks. I wear it down maybe once or twice a week and it's currently an inch past BSL when wet, not too long either.

Can someone please tell me why my ends are splitting and feeling crunchy? Am I somehow damaging it??

Thanks in advance!

missfortune9335
July 28th, 2010, 05:35 PM
maybe it just needs a good deep conditioning, have you tried a SMT? Or you could try the hair diagnostic and see what you come up with. You mention that you haven't been using heat lately since it's so hot out, but have you been using heat in previous months? It could be old damage that's just now showing up. I'd try a good deep conditioning and then see what you think

Nae
July 28th, 2010, 05:35 PM
You might have protein overload. Sometimes that can cause "crunchy" ends. Maybe you should try a SMT?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

ETA: Missfortune beat me to it!!!

ravenreed
July 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM
My ends only get crispy if I use anything with protein. I betting you have some proteins in your shampoo or conditioner.

Gypsy
July 28th, 2010, 05:43 PM
does the gel have alcohol? If so, do you wash it out or do you leave it in your hair and sleep in it?

Bluegrass Babe
July 28th, 2010, 05:44 PM
When my ends feel crispy I oil them with evoo the night before a wash and put aloe gel on them when they are past the drippy stage after a wash. If you oil the ends only it shouldn't cause a problem for your face.

Jenn of Pence
July 28th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I second (or third or fourth, whatever ;)) protein overload. I've decided this is what causes my ends to get crispy. I also recommend clarifying and a deep condish on the ends.

Anje
July 28th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I get crispy ends from protein, too.

I do think you might need to reconsider the conditioner, though, or at least clarify. Amodimethicone is a weird little beastie (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones) -- it creates a coating on the hair, but doesn't really build up past that point. As a result, you might not get feelings of buildup, but if it's sealing moisture out of your hair, it can still be a problem.

My usual advice for folks is to clarify their hair, do an SMT with a protein-free silicone-free conditioner, then re-assess. I think you should give that a try and see what you think.

Domino
July 29th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I just checked and you all are totally right--both the gel and the condish contain several proteins! Though there aren't any silicone and protein free conditioners available here, I will clarify and then probably do a caramel treatment or a honey/oil thingy and see if it goes away.

Thanks everyone, I couldn't have found it without you :cheer:

missfortune9335
July 29th, 2010, 06:33 PM
horray! glad to hear you don't need to trim :D

Anje
July 29th, 2010, 06:35 PM
What country are you in? Lots of folks have compiled lists of the silicone- and/or protein-free products available in their country. I'm certain there's something, though it might not have been something where you were or which you noticed.