PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever wear a wig?

kimki
July 28th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I do! Well I bought a wig today. I lost most of my hair earlier on in the year due to medical reasons so, after having some fun with a mohawk and what not....I shaved my head again last month. Although I don't mind being a baldy most of the time. Sometimes, I miss feeling...pretty. While my hair regrows I was thinking I would buy one or two cheaper wigs.

Does anyone else wear a wig? Do you get any problems? Any advice?

Oh and does it look alright? I do like it but I do feel self concious. It's ok, you can be honest it wasn't expensive. :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5904&pictureid=78038

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5904&pictureid=78039

Sammich
July 28th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Oooo, I've worn a wig before but it itched my head too much. :p I wouldn't mind wearing a wig for a long time if I had a medical illness. (Hoping for the best by the way :( :flower: )
The wig looks great on you, really suits your features naturally, and I like the style, looks really real! Is it close to your natural hair colour? :)

alwayssmiling
July 28th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Firstly I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that it was a wig - it looks very natural. I love the colour and the layers. Go for it I say! If you are wanting to buy some different ones it might be a lot of fun playing around with styles and colours.

Good luck!

Petite Simone
July 28th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't have known it was a wig unless you told me, and even then it is *very* difficult to tell, so I like it :) I hope things are going good for you :flower:

pepperminttea
July 28th, 2010, 03:10 PM
If I had just seen the photos, not read your post, I wouldn't have thought it was a wig at all. It honestly looks real. Hope you're getting better, by the way. :grouphug:

I've never worn one, but I am curious about them. I would love to get one in a short style, so I could change things up now and then. :)

Copasetic
July 28th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Honestly, I looked at the pics and thought "where are the ones with the wig?", then I read your post. It looks great :)

How does it feel? I imagine wigs would be uncomfortable. I hope that is not true!

kwaniesiam
July 28th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I made, cut, and styled this wig myself after I shaved my head. It's 100% human hair too.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/Hair%20Work/_DSC2908b.jpg

xoxophelia
July 28th, 2010, 03:26 PM
kwaniesiam: You have really pretty skin :)

Fern
July 28th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I have never worn a wig but if I found one I liked I would buy it and wear it. I want one with long hair in dark green color :o (I cant see your pictures because im new so I cant comment on that)

kimki
July 28th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Oooo, I've worn a wig before but it itched my head too much. I wouldn't mind wearing a wig for a long time if I had a medical illness. (Hoping for the best by the way )
The wig looks great on you, really suits your features naturally, and I like the style, looks really real! Is it close to your natural hair colour?

Thank you things are on the mend :flower: Thank you for that too, it's quite a bit darker actually, I'm a natural light brown/dark blonde.

Firstly I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that it was a wig - it looks very natural. I love the colour and the layers. Go for it I say! If you are wanting to buy some different ones it might be a lot of fun playing around with styles and colours.

Good luck!

Thank you :) I was thinking of getting something short and choppy maybe in blond :eyebrows:

I wouldn't have known it was a wig unless you told me, and even then it is *very* difficult to tell, so I like it I hope things are going good for you

Thank you so much, they are heading in the right direction :flower:

If I had just seen the photos, not read your post, I wouldn't have thought it was a wig at all. It honestly looks real. Hope you're getting better, by the way.

I've never worn one, but I am curious about them. I would love to get one in a short style, so I could change things up now and then. :)

Thank you very much :flower: I'm looking forward to changing things without the commitment of scissors! :D

Honestly, I looked at the pics and thought "where are the ones with the wig?", then I read your post. It looks great :)

How does it feel? I imagine wigs would be uncomfortable. I hope that is not true!

Thank you :) I have to admit, it's warm! Not too itchy because I have a wig cap to wear underneath (which is basically a stocking) I'm hoping I'll get used to it.

kwaniesiam you are truly beautiful and the wig is pretty and natural. :flower:

jera
July 28th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I bought a wig in my teens because I wanted to switch my bsl hair to a trendy short style. I got a cheap wig and wore it to school the next day. All of my friends told me how much prettier my own hair looked and that the wig was not attractive on me at all. :rolleyes:

I ditched the wig, happy I had the foresight not to sacrifice my own hair for a stupid passing fad. :)

I wish you a quick and full recovery from your medical issues. Your wig looks really nice and suits your features. Did you have help chosing it?

LouLaLa
July 28th, 2010, 03:54 PM
That looks so natural! Go you! Youre so confident and strong to deal with this, hair loss can be really traumatic (I have a relative who lost patches and it really got their confidence).

Youve even spured me on the give up bleach, hair is precious and were lucky to have it.

Youre such an inspiration and look beautiful :) :blossom:

julya
July 28th, 2010, 03:59 PM

Me too! I read the title, then looked at the pictures, and thought, where are the wig ones? So very natural looking to me!

JenniferNoel
July 28th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Looks beautiful to me!
I wear wigs all the time just for the fun of it. I have a platinum purple bob just past the shoulders (exactly like my real hair, just purple) and wear that when I feel like it. I also have a couple longer wigs in various colors including natural black at TBL.

kdaniels8811
July 28th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I could not tell it is a wig. Since I wear one (lost my hair to medical reasons, too) I would suggest treat it very gently, broken hair does not grow back. Wash once a week, if you wear it regularly and be forewarned - they are really hot! I am looking forward to this fall when things cool down and I will be more comfortable. Have fun with it!

kwaniesiam
July 28th, 2010, 05:10 PM
kwaniesiam: You have really pretty skin :)

Thank you, but actually I have rosacea and my face is usually a mess :o Good make-up and photoshop, trust me ;)

kwaniesiam you are truly beautiful and the wig is pretty and natural. :flower:

Thank you :D Yours looks great too, and your hair will grow back quicker than you think. It's been 2 months since I shaved my head and I have an inch of growth already!

xoxophelia
July 28th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Thank you, but actually I have rosacea and my face is usually a mess :o Good make-up and photoshop, trust me ;)

Ah, it really just looks like you have a little blush on your cheeks perhaps. I think fair skin is very pretty.

christine1989
July 28th, 2010, 05:19 PM
It looks very real. I would have never known it was a wig unless you said so. Is it human hair?

akrasia
July 28th, 2010, 05:33 PM
It looks really nice, that color suits your eyes and skin tone. Incredibly natural looking too!

Loviatar
July 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I wear one for LARP events, which is short, choppy and silver-grey as I am playing a character who is older.

I would wear one in real life from time to time if I had a human hair one. The Kanekalon fibre ones get too hot really. Yours looks very nice, I like the colour and the length. Honestly if it were me I would go for something shorter but that is because I'd be worried about it getting caught in my purse strap etc. and I would choose one with bangs because I don't habe bangs in real life so it would be fun to change.

Yours looks very nice and it doesn't look fake at all.

Kwanie, I love your wig, it's the same shape as mine except for the bangs (mine are sort of shorter and choppier)

squiggyflop
July 28th, 2010, 06:26 PM
i couldnt tell it was a wig from the picture..

ive thought about getting a shoulder length wig before.. just so i could have a change or i could blend in with it on (both my haircolor and length stand out quite a bit)

eta: wouldnt it be cool to make a wig (http://www.makeup-fx.com/Perukeng.html) from shed hairs.. heehee.. just for those days when you want bangs or shorter hair

Yozhik
July 28th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Very nice! I definitely couldn't tell :)

I hope you are on the mend, and have fun experimenting with different looks!

Capybara
July 28th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Your wig looks so natural! I never would have guessed.

Drynwhyl
July 28th, 2010, 07:39 PM
It does look natural!
Buy a couple, you can have more fun with them and changing the styles randomly.

I think they're fun, but I can barely wear a hat without getting itchy and annoyed :P

MonaMayfair
July 29th, 2010, 05:15 AM
As everyone ese has said, it looks totally natural, no-one would guess if you hadn't told us!
I've always liked wearing wigs for fun. I'm wearing one now, for two reasons. Firstly, because my hair's growing too slow (after stupidly getting it cut into a bob last year) and also because my roots are showing badly (henna'd hair, blonde roots) I have to do them every two weeks, but I can't be bothered at the moment!
I have had four bouts of hair loss in the last four years or so (thyroid related) Still have "normal" looking hair, that is "normal" to others, but horribly thin to me, as it used to be so thick.
I've lost 3/4 of what I had. With the thyroid, it falls out, grows back, falls out again... But it never grows back as thick as it once was unfortunately:(

kimki
July 29th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Thank you all so much for your kind words, it means a lot. :flower:

I bought a wig in my teens because I wanted to switch my bsl hair to a trendy short style. I got a cheap wig and wore it to school the next day. All of my friends told me how much prettier my own hair looked and that the wig was not attractive on me at all.

I ditched the wig, happy I had the foresight not to sacrifice my own hair for a stupid passing fad. :)

I wish you a quick and full recovery from your medical issues. Your wig looks really nice and suits your features. Did you have help chosing it?

My DH helped me. To be honest, I was very shy in the shop and it was only because he helped me that I actually chose one and bought it. I'm really happy I did now though.

That looks so natural! Go you! Youre so confident and strong to deal with this, hair loss can be really traumatic (I have a relative who lost patches and it really got their confidence).

Youve even spured me on the give up bleach, hair is precious and were lucky to have it.

Youre such an inspiration and look beautiful :) :blossom:

Thank you so much, thats very very sweet. :flower:

Looks beautiful to me!
I wear wigs all the time just for the fun of it. I have a platinum purple bob just past the shoulders (exactly like my real hair, just purple) and wear that when I feel like it. I also have a couple longer wigs in various colors including natural black at TBL.

I would love a long, long wig. I'm considering buying one online but I'm a little worried it will turn up and look awfule.

Thank you :D Yours looks great too, and your hair will grow back quicker than you think. It's been 2 months since I shaved my head and I have an inch of growth already!

Thank you, look forward to seeing your progress too. :)

It looks very real. I would have never known it was a wig unless you said so. Is it human hair?

It isn't actually, I was surprised because it does look so real. Thank you. :flower:

kimki
July 29th, 2010, 05:53 AM
All your replies have been so lovely and reassuring. Thank you all so much :flower:

I wear one for LARP events, which is short, choppy and silver-grey as I am playing a character who is older.

I would wear one in real life from time to time if I had a human hair one. The Kanekalon fibre ones get too hot really. Yours looks very nice, I like the colour and the length. Honestly if it were me I would go for something shorter but that is because I'd be worried about it getting caught in my purse strap etc. and I would choose one with bangs because I don't habe bangs in real life so it would be fun to change.

Yours looks very nice and it doesn't look fake at all.

Kwanie, I love your wig, it's the same shape as mine except for the bangs (mine are sort of shorter and choppier)

I chose one with bangs as well because I felt it sat a little better at the front. To me, it looked more real than a lot of the ones without if you know what I mean.

i couldnt tell it was a wig from the picture..

ive thought about getting a shoulder length wig before.. just so i could have a change or i could blend in with it on (both my haircolor and length stand out quite a bit)

eta: wouldnt it be cool to make a wig (http://www.makeup-fx.com/Perukeng.html) from shed hairs.. heehee.. just for those days when you want bangs or shorter hair

I can't imagine how warm you would be with all your hair tucked away under a wig! Maybe you should wait till winter before you try. :D

As everyone ese has said, it looks totally natural, no-one would guess if you hadn't told us!
I've always liked wearing wigs for fun. I'm wearing one now, for two reasons. Firstly, because my hair's growing too slow (after stupidly getting it cut into a bob last year) and also because my roots are showing badly (henna'd hair, blonde roots) I have to do them every two weeks, but I can't be bothered at the moment!
I have had four bouts of hair loss in the last four years or so (thyroid related) Still have "normal" looking hair, that is "normal" to others, but horribly thin to me, as it used to be so thick.
I've lost 3/4 of what I had. With the thyroid, it falls out, grows back, falls out again... But it never grows back as thick as it once was unfortunately:(

I know the feeling, thyroid problems run in my family too. However once they are under control things will improve :grouphug:

Sammich
July 29th, 2010, 05:54 AM
I made, cut, and styled this wig myself after I shaved my head. It's 100% human hair too.

Wow, you do have gorgeous skin. What an amazing wig! Wow, it looks so real and perfect, I wouldn't mind having my hair cut by you. ;)
You're gorgeous.

New Choppy Cut
July 29th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I can't access your picture. I have recently started trying wigs. I was bored with my hair but I lack the skills and motivation to style it each day and so I am keeping it long for now as it is easier. I have never really suited long hair down, and so tend to wear it up. I feel confident wearing a shoulder length brown wig to social events, but have only worn my layered wigs to go for walks as I am not quite used to them yet. I'm awaiting a bob wig. But so far I think it's fun, even though to me mine do look like wigs.