PDA

View Full Version : Washing hair more in the hotter months witout having dry hair.

pinchbeck
July 28th, 2010, 12:34 PM
My scalp feels damp due to the hotter weather we are having here in southern Ontario. I find I can wash my hair four times a week without the ends suffering whereas if I did this in the colder months my hair would be like straw.

When our scalps sweat continuously, does sebum production increase? Yeah...I know it sounds gross.:p

laurathexplora
July 28th, 2010, 12:36 PM
That's something I was wondering too. I rinse my hair almost daily in the summer, but still wash it with shampoo every four days or so. I can go a lot longer in the winter.

Cleopatra18
July 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Subscribing...

hmmm
July 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Interesting theory. I have to wash my hair very frequently in the summer too.

Tabihito
July 28th, 2010, 01:19 PM
To the best of my knowledge, sebum production does not increase during the summer. However, I'd definitely consider it a possibility. A lot of people have increased growth during the summer, which points to a more active follicle. Whatever triggers that probably could also trigger sebum production, but I don't think that it does. The difference you're seeing is more likely that because the air tends to have more water in it during the summer, so you're not losing moisture in your hair to the environment.

To illustrate, I've experienced just about every climate possible in all seasons. My hair was just as dry during the summer in the desert in western Texas as it was during the winter in Norway (though I didn't have the same static problems in west Texas). My hair is happy and moisturized when I treat it right throughout the year in southeastern Texas, because it tends to be extremely humid here.

Slightly off-topic, but I love listening to people up north call their weather hot. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside (or that could just be the humidity talking). Works both ways, though; "really freaking cold" for us is well above freezing.

tanya222
July 28th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Hey, pinchbeck, another S. Ontario dweller here! (lively city of Brantford pppfffft not!)

Yeah I'm finding myself having to wash more often with this humidity. At least I'm trying to adopt a kind of scalp-only wash routine, so I can keep my ends oiled but removing the grease from the scalp, my longish bangs get so stringy looking even the next day after washing :(

pinchbeck
July 28th, 2010, 09:51 PM
. The difference you're seeing is more likely that because the air tends to have more water in it during the summer, so you're not losing moisture in your hair to the environment.

Interesting you said that because I was thinking the very same thing today after I posted this thread.

Slightly off-topic, but I love listening to people up north call their weather hot. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside (or that could just be the humidity talking). Works both ways, though; "really freaking cold" for us is well above freezing.The heat we're having is humid. I believe there are two kinds of heat; dry heat and humid heat. But probably both cause people to sweat a lot. I have also heard of a dry cold climate in extremely cold temperatures and am not sure if I have experienced that here.

akhkharu
July 28th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Even if the scalp doesn't produce more sebum, it certainly produces more sweat so the hair feels dirty faster. I wash my hair every other day in the summer, and I can go 3 or 4 days without washing in the winter if I'm not exercising.