PDA

View Full Version : Help for frizzy grays?

beadmask
July 28th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hi all,

Since I stopped dying my gray hair, the texture has changed dramatically. I love the color, but the gray is so coarse and wirey and on a bad hair day they frizz up something fierce! I have tried a couple of the super moisture shampoos and conditioners (like the ones that Aussie and Dove make) but these seem to make the frizz even worse. I'm sure that I am not the first woman to deal with this, and I would love to hear what products or solutions have worked for you ... is there a really great shampoo/conditioner that helps to tame your frizzy grays, or do you use oils or??

Thanks in advance :)

proo
July 28th, 2010, 02:36 PM
is your hair curly or wavy?
an extremely dilute shampoo followed by a dilute conditioner followed by a distilled water rinse/soak
but what really makes the difference is not combing afterward, separating it into individual curls, running my two fingers down the length of each curl to "set" it
and leaving it be
this method has almost entirely eliminated my frizz
i learned about the curl method from the tightlycurled web site, definitely worth a visit

beadmask
July 28th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Oh, thanks for the advice! My hair is slightly wavy, and it seems more so as the gray comes in. I do not comb when wet or even blow dry, as both up the frizz level. But I had never thought to dilute my product or use distilled water. I will certainly try these ideas and check out that site.

spidermom
July 28th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I use product, like Sunsilk Captivating Curls, to encourage all my hair to flow together instead of allowing separate hairs to achieve lift-off. My white hairs are so wirey!

mellie
July 28th, 2010, 03:16 PM
What seems to work best for me is shampoo and no conditioner or oil. If the silver hairs are too wiry and stick out, then I "spit-shine" them down. :-)

SurprisingWoman
July 28th, 2010, 04:34 PM
When I first started going gray I noticed that the fly away grays mostly happened the first day after shampooing. I would shampoo the day before anything big event and by the second day they would be back with the mainstream.

I don't like to put a lot of product on my hair in between shampoos because it makes me have to wash more often so I would use scheduling more than product.

Othala
July 29th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I have coarse way hair that frizzes if left to it's own devices. I use diluted PK Elasticizer Extreme (1 part EE to 5 parts water) as a leave-in conditioner. This makes my hair smooth, moisturised and soft.

Theobroma
July 29th, 2010, 07:11 AM
CO washing with a fairly heavy conditioner eliminated my frizzy greys right from the word go. I'm Currently using Garnier Triple Nutrition, but the different brand of heavy condish I had before that did exactly the same thing -- those silvers that previously stuck out and corkscrewed all over the place immediately lay down and played nice with the rest of my hair.

OP, it looks as though my hair type is similar to yours, so this might work for you too?

Nae
July 29th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I am curlier than you Beadmask, but I too have been having pretty good luck with the CO method. Things have been frizzing out lately because of the high humidity and it seems that the conditioner only method is actually making my hair play nice. The greys are always more frizzy than the rest and I have been pleasantly surprised with the results..

beadmask
July 30th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Hi all, the last couple of days have been crazy busy so I have not had much time to post ... but I did want to pop in real quick to say WOW and Thank you! I did not expect so many replies ... there are lots of good ideas & info here!

Surprisingwoman, yes my hair does the same -- wild the day I wash it, but it mellows out quite a bit the next day.

Theo and Nae, I've just started to try the CO wash trip, and it does seem to be helping! I suspect I need to find a different shampoo/conditioner as well. Someone mentioned Aveno, and I may give that (or some other natural product) a go and see what I think.

I really appreciate the ideas & input :)

SurprisingWoman
July 30th, 2010, 09:59 PM
beadmask: I am glad you got some answers to your question that make sense to you.

This place is like....... :magic: ........... magic!

Welcome to LHC.