PDA

View Full Version : Canoing this weekend

coscass
July 28th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I'll be out canoing and stuff, and while there's a shower where I can wash my hair, I'm sure the water is going to be icky and hard- maybe even harder than my own water.

I'd rather not wash at all, but everyone's talking about it and since it's so readily available I might just have to to avoid looking like a dirty fool. The mother of the girl I'm with will no doubt pick on me and bully me if I don't take a shower :mad:

But anyway, I'm going to TRY and get out of washing my actual hair, but if I end up in an awkward situation and decide to give in, what should I arm myself with? Shampoo to clarify and AVC? Or just CO and wait for the Shampoo at home? I want to keep it simple- but be able to get my fingers- or a comb- through my hair. I plan to keep it braided in pigtails until I have to wash it.

Probably a lot of worrying for no reason, but if you knew my friends mother you'd know why I'm so concerned over it.

Also: The first conditioner I ever used to Cowash (back in 2009)with worked great! Lately, though, even after clarifying, all I feel when I scrub is a waxy, dirty feeling on my scalp and I don't like it, even after a lot of scrubbing! It's the conditioner I'm using- it says moistrusizing on it, but it's still making my scalp feel icky. Can anyone recc a suave or 50v one that doesn't make their hair feel bad? I want to pick a bottle up at the store tomorrow before we leave.

Tabihito
July 28th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I use the V05 Strawberries and Cream conditioner to CO with, and it seems to work well. However, it also has protein, so I don't know if that works for you.

There's a map here (http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/city_water_guide.htm) of water hardness in the United States. You can check to see if where you're going has hard water. However, due to slight differences between municipalities, you can get more specific here (http://www.epa.gov/safewater/dwinfo/index.html) on the EPA's site.

If you find that the water where you're going is hard, ACV is probably recommended. I personally don't ever use it, as I live in one of the yellow areas on the first map, but I've heard from people who do have hard water that it's quite beneficial for them.

ETA: EPA's site is only going to link you to that municipality's site with the water information, which may or may not disclose water hardness. However, calling them is usually a sure way to get your answer on that issue.

coscass
July 28th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I use the V05 Strawberries and Cream conditioner to CO with, and it seems to work well. However, it also has protein, so I don't know if that works for you.

There's a map here (http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/city_water_guide.htm) of water hardness in the United States. You can check to see if where you're going has hard water. However, due to slight differences between municipalities, you can get more specific here (http://www.epa.gov/safewater/dwinfo/index.html) on the EPA's site.

If you find that the water where you're going is hard, ACV is probably recommended. I personally don't ever use it, as I live in one of the yellow areas on the first map, but I've heard from people who do have hard water that it's quite beneficial for them.

ETA: EPA's site is only going to link you to that municipality's site with the water information, which may or may not disclose water hardness. However, calling them is usually a sure way to get your answer on that issue.

I didn't even know that site existed! It's now my favorite site ever lol. And yes, where I live (Michigan) water is extremely hard. Huh. Who'da thunk it :P Also where I'm going (Ohio) is also extremely hard. I guess I'll bring that AVC along, after all. Thank you!:cheese:

Tabihito
July 28th, 2010, 12:32 PM
It's quite awesome. It confirmed my suspicions of our non-hard water quite definitively. The biggest thing is that over here, pretty much all of our water is ground water, coming from a sand aquifer, which doesn't have limestone or metamorphic rock around to give us hardness.

But you're welcome. The 'net's got some great resources out there if you know where to look. I was turned towards that site thanks to an ecology class.