PDA

View Full Version : Hair Compliment! - too funny

kdaniels8811
July 28th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I have been a member here for almost two years. For those of you that know me, you will remember I was diagnosed with cancer in December and started chemo treatments which caused my waist length hair to fall out. I did get a good wig, which is very similiar to my hair color, style and length.

Today I was at a job interview, wearing my wig which is bunned as I usually wear my hair. Someone came up to me and commented on how pretty the bun was, what was I holding it with (ketylo's, ivory wood) and how long was my hair?

This is a first, I did not blurt out that it is a wig as I do not want prospective employers knowing I am a cancer survivor until it is necessary. The wig is good enough to look like it is my own hair but I am self concious about it though have been assured it is very realistic. So my first hair compliment and it was a fake! Now I have to wear the wig forever as it seems it will take that long for my hair to grow out, it is a whopping 1/2" right now. I figure five years minimum to get back to where I was.

twolunarspring
July 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Good luck with your growing journey :flower:
And a compliment is still a compliment! If the wig looks like your own hair, then even better x

LeaM07
July 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Who picked out the wig and the hairsticks? Who executed the style? Sounds to me like the compliment was well-deserved! :D

Medievalmaniac
July 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Congratulations on beating your cancer, first of all! I am so in awe of the strength and courage it takes to get through such an ordeal - you are an inspiration!

Secondly - hey! 1/2" isn't bad, considering! We'll enjoy hearing about your growing it back out journey over the years!! :)

kabelaced
July 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Even though it's not your own hair, that doesn't mean you're not beautiful! :)

One time at work, this woman came in with the shiniest looking hair, and I assure you that it looked completely natural - I only found out it wasn't when I complimented the lady on her beautiful hair and she told me it was a wig. I was shocked :eek: But she looked stunning anyways!

Another time, I was serving this lady with the most beautiful curls I'd ever seen, and I just couldn't resist complimenting her - whereupon she told me that these were her "cancer curls" (you know how chemo can sometimes change the texture of the hair - my best guy friend's hair went from stick straight to permed curly after his chemo). I was still so impressed and envious!

And you shouldn't feel like you *have* to wear a wig to be beautiful - I wore a totally fake long one one weekend this past May (for an anime convention) after buzzing all of my hair off to a 1/2 inch, and it made me feel pretty, but it's also pretty raw to walk around with such little hair on your head, too (plus, you get to see who really likes your hair versus who likes you for you - at least, that's what I saw).

Hope you are doing well! :p

Scottish Lass
July 28th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Just wanted to wish you well, great on the compliment :D

Night_Kitten
July 28th, 2010, 11:37 AM
That is ironic - but considering that the wig resembles very much your real hair type, colour and length, it is really a compliment to your hair and also to your bunning skills :)

LOL, I don't think you'll be stuck with the wig for that long - once your hair is at a length your'e comfortable with, you can say you desided to experiment and cut your hair into that new stile, then you deside you liked your long hair and are growing it again... To people in RL and your office such an "experiment" will look perfectly natural :)

SurprisingWoman
July 28th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I think it's a wonderful compliment.

Congratulations on your recovery.

tanya222
July 28th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Congratulations on beating cancer! And on the compliment, I'm sure it made your day!

My mother went through that whole thing last fall/winter. She alternated between a wig and the 'chemo scarves' they gave her. All her thick wavy hair fell out but now it is growing back, about 2.5" now, and actually softer than it was before!

triumphator!
July 28th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Oh man, I bet you are going to have so much fun doing crazy hairstyles because you can SEE THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD!! I'm jealous-- you won't have to bend your arms the wrong way to do a lot of stuff!

kdaniels8811
July 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the positive responses. I love this forum, it is full of such positive people. I had hoped my hair would grow back curly or thick or maybe even a different color? but no, it is the same brown, no curl yet, and who knows on thickness. As soon as I get 3 or 4 inches, I will hendigo to brighten it up but for now the wig works great and it does look like my hair before I lost it.

And I got the job! Yay!!!

little_acorn
July 28th, 2010, 04:53 PM
:flower: what a lovely compliment and you did do the bun, provided the hair sticks and chose the wig so you deserve it! I'm so glad to hear that your hair is growing out now :D

Stephichan
July 28th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Congratulations on beating the cancer and getting the job! I agree with the others, you picked the wig and twisted it into a bun yourself, securing it with the hairstick, so the compliment is well deserved :)

dropinthebucket
July 28th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Awesome compliment, and awesome determination! maybe even sooner than five years, you never know!

Ami514
July 28th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Congratulations on winning the fight against cancer and getting the job! Always appreciate compliments that are given to you, you deserve them and you probably looked beautiful! Before you know it you will get compliments on your new hair at all it's lengths!

Capybara
July 28th, 2010, 07:31 PM
That is absolutely awesome and so inspiring! :) Congratulations on the new job :cheese: