PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the trim you want?

Gwendolene
July 28th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I desperately need a trim, but am afraid my hairdresser is going to take off way more than I want her to (1/2" at most). How do you all handle trims and what's the best way to actually get the trim you want without coming off as completely neurotic??

Long_hair_guy
July 28th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Basically tell them that your growing your hair out and you only want half an inch off. Just keep an eye on what he/she is doing so you don't get it cut too short.

Just remember your paying them for the trim not the other way around.

Centaur
July 28th, 2010, 11:15 AM
The best thing to do is to show her what 1/2" looks like to you while you tell her verbally. Have her demonstrate back to you what 1/2" looks like to her. You want to be on the same page about what 1/2" looks like to each of you. You would be suprised at the many different perceptions people have of 1/2" measurement.

spidermom
July 28th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Don't worry about coming across as neurotic, just don't be rude and demanding (which can back-fire on you).

I always tell a stylist I only want 1/2 inch off the very bottom, and I face the mirror and watch like a hawk. Also, beware of the stylist pulling your hair out from your head at an angle -- that means layers. He/she should comb it straight down toward the floor for a non-layered trim.

Don't be afraid to ask the stylist to show you how much he or she is cutting. I'd rather stop the stylist after one cut and say "no - half that amount" and have one too-short strand than have my entire head of hair come out too short.

Fern
July 28th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I have my husband do it for me. He worries more about what is cut off than I do so it works out good.

Finoriel
July 28th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Teacherbear wrote a really helpful article about this :)
Getting the cut/trim you want at a salon (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=175)

Phexlyn
July 28th, 2010, 12:07 PM
The best thing to do is to show her what 1/2" looks like to you while you tell her verbally. Have her demonstrate back to you what 1/2" looks like to her. You want to be on the same page about what 1/2" looks like to each of you. You would be suprised at the many different perceptions people have of 1/2" measurement.
This, and if you can, have someone accompany you who knows how much you want off because you usually can't see what the stylist does behind your back.

Sorus
July 28th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Bring a ruler with you!

The last time I got a trim, I brought a ruler. The stylist gave me a bit of a funny look, but she humored my request and I got the exact trim I wanted.

coscass
July 28th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I tell them how long I've been growing it, and how important it is to me, and that I'm one of those "spazzes that spazzes out when too much is cut off" and that I "don't want to freak out on her/him", then tell them and show them with my fingers how much I want off, then I watch like a hawk.

CaityBear
July 28th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I agree to definately show. So many people perceive 1/2 in differently. And most people don't realize how big of a deal a trim is to us long haired people. And having somebody there who understands how much you want trimmed would help.

This is why I trim my own hair. Plus we don't have a hair dresser in town..... but the one my mom goes to is really good with long hair. She cuts a friends hair whose is really long and is very specific about how much she wants trimmed so I always know who to go to now. :)

Deborah
July 28th, 2010, 02:14 PM
For complete control over your trim, do it yourself! Feye's method, discussed many times on this list works great - even I can do it, and I'm pretty hair inept!

Prettyeyes23
July 28th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I agree with Deborah, try trimming yourself!

urara12
July 28th, 2010, 04:03 PM
my hair stylist recommend me that bring ruler measurements
to show to the Hair stylist exactly how much you want to trim.
he told me that
---- (1/2)
------- ( 1/2) but in he/her imagine might be the long.

Islandgrrl
July 28th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Do it yourself! It's not difficult at all.

Loviatar
July 28th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I';m with Deborah and Islandgrrl. I normally follow Feye's u-shape method but have recently gone back to blunt.