PDA

View Full Version : Fluffy thin baby like hair

DifferentLex
July 28th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Hello everyone, i'm Lex and i'm a new member :D

This is a long post so bear with me please, i chopped my hair in november to a pixie thing bob (razor used at the back, layers to fluff it up in the back, and in the front long enough to tuck in behind my ears).

My hair is thin, dyied black for 8 years on and off (off since april) , extremly fluffy - the nice lady who cuts my hair says it's like babys hair, fluffy, thin, flyaway kind - one day is wavy, one day is stick straight.
I'm now at collarbone lenght - i blow dry it once in a while not so much since i joined LHC, i shampoo twice a week - tried the no-cone shampoo (i found only one after 2 weeks of searching - Herbal Essences - Uplifting Volume) the ends came up really crunchy and matted, i've tried the olive oil treatment and ended up with soft fluffy hair with no volume at all.
Normaly my hair looks crunchy, fluffy, hallo hair after it dries (and wavy-straight glued to the head the next day), but when i stroke it it's very silky and does not tangle at all it just looks damaged and matted but i don't have any broken ends.

I've tried the ACV rinse ended up the same silky, glued to the head no volume (using a blowdryer), same with using a conditioner flat glued to the head.

Do you have any tips on what to do when you have fluffy, thin, wavy/curly hair and you don't wanna end up with hair looking very silky and soft but very straight (almost glued to the head with no volume).
oh, and one more thing and i promise this is the end - how long can one go without a trim? my last cut was in november.
Thank you so much

Ps: i'm new here and i don't think i can attach a picture

breezefaerie
July 28th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Welcome!

I also have fine, thin hair and have found that the CO method of washing works best for me. My hair likes cones, and can do SLS is small doses.

You may want to try diluting your shampoo to see if that helps.
I'm sure others will be here soon giving you lots of advice!

DifferentLex
July 28th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Thank you very much breezefaerie (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=8155), i'll try diluting the shampoo the next time i wash it :) i've tried lots of things and non stuck to my crazy hair, the only time my hair looked good was when i was 20 and i had long elbow lenght hair (i miss my long hair :( )

spidermom
July 28th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Have you tried some leave-in products? I have a product called Sunsilk Captivating Curls which is a combination of styling cream and gel, and it gives my hair a little more weight and helps it to flow together, giving my curls and waves more definition, instead of floating around like a cloud of hair.

Anje
July 28th, 2010, 11:09 AM
If you feel like experimenting a little, my DH loves shampoo bars for the volume they give him. Even after a dilute vinegar rinse, they definitely seem to add a bit of volume.

Another popular thing around here is using clear aloe vera gel as hair gel. Working a little through your damp hair might help give it a little volume as it dries, and it's moisturizing for hair, to boot.

Finally, I've noticed that often wavy and curly hair goes flat when it needs more moisture. I'm a big fan of conditioner-only washing. (Suave Naturals and VO5 conditioners are generally favorites for this, as they're cheap and lightweight.) CO generally takes frizziness down a few notches, but it usually boosts waves and curls.

DifferentLex
July 28th, 2010, 11:25 AM
thank you for your tips, i use Pantene Pro-v Waves & Curls (mousse) on wet hair and the blow dry it and stays that way for 2-3 days and it feels very silky and bouncy (but now i can't find anything else here for wavy/curly hair - that line was canceled here - only shampoos, mousses and gels for straight hair - everywhere i ask they give me the same line - oh no, sorry nothing for wavy/curly hair. Unfortunately we don't have shampoo bars or aloe vera gels - only found one face cream with aloe vera (which is actually good but that is a different story :D ). I've tried using the CO wash and it ends up really shinny but very straight and with no volume - that's why i only shampoo.
The only shampoo that was pretty good was a shampoo for seborrheic dermatitis that i use twice a month every 4-5 months