PDA

View Full Version : Is my hair doing okay?

schweedie
July 27th, 2010, 10:32 AM
All right, I'm posting this because I honestly don't know how my hair is doing, and I figured, who better to ask? I can't tell the difference between healthy and damaged hair. I see the expressions 'silky ends' and 'crunchy ends' here and there, and I don't know what they mean! I don't think my ends are crunchy, but they definitely don't feel silky. My frizz makes me nervous since I can't figure out if it's damage or just new growth after shedding. I'm not sure when I last used the blowdrier, but the last time I properly heatstyled would've been in May when I used my curling iron. (Not something I ever did regularly.)

So... help? These pictures were taken after airdrying on washing day (CWC) and detangling with my new Tangle Teezer. I'm linking them since I made them rather large for better clarity.

Side/back (http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/schweedie/Me/DSCN8772.jpg)
Ends (http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/schweedie/Me/DSCN8775.jpg)
From the back (http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/schweedie/Me/DSCN8789.jpg) - can I call this BSL, or do I have to wait for the rest to catch up as well?
The dreaded frizz (http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/schweedie/Me/DSCN8793.jpg)

Does it look like it's doing okay? (It's all virgin hair, if I'm understanding the term correctly.)

ptnicole
July 27th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I think your hair looks great. The color is gorgeous and you have a nice blunt hem. Have you read Kirins guide to hair under the Articles/Hair Care section of the forum. She excellently explains everything about hair typing, damage, washing, conditioning, etc.

GoddesJourney
July 27th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Your hair looks fine to me. I would definately call the BSL. As for frizz, it happens. Your hair looks like it doesn't really have frizz, but more flyaways, which is more typical of finer and straighter hair like yours. It's probably new growth and nothing to really worry about. Ask a thick curly about frizz. The fine texture of your hair should be probably silkier by nature, but also more proned to breakage due to the tickness of individual strands. Updos are your friends. Anyway, your hair looks like it's in great condition to me. Really, given the rate that hair grows, even if you had been trashing it before and finally stopped, the new growth would only just be long enough by now to start seeing a noticeably contrast. You can hydrate dry hair, but there is nothing you can really do about structural damage besides cover it up with coney products or oil heavily (not recommended with fine hair) and wait for it to grow out.

Whatever it is you're doing or not doing seems to be working just fine.

ETA: Virgin hair implies that it hasn't been treated or altered by things like dyes, perms, bleach, etc. Some people like to include things like heat styling, but that's really all up to you.

Fern
July 27th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I think your hair looks beautiful and silky soft! I don't see any damage or frizz at all.

Smile4Kiki
July 27th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I would call that BSL for sure! Your hair looks beautiful, if there's any damage its not visible in these pictures.

mellie
July 27th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Yes, I agree, I think it looks very healthy and BSL!

ButterCup02
July 27th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Definitely BSL...and so so pretty! Looks very healthy to me :)

Sammich
July 27th, 2010, 11:21 AM
BSL defo. Your hair colour is gorgeous! :D The ends look so healthy and your hair is so silky looking! :D

LouLaLa
July 27th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Your hair colour is heavenly! Natural highlights too you lucky thing :p

I like your hair alot, its very pretty and healthy.

tinti
July 27th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Heia Sverige! I think your hair looks very silky and healhy, even though I have no idea what damaged hair looks like, exept very damaged hair :) Looks like you have a lot of flyaways like a lot of us Scandinavians. If you have frizzies just leave them be, or smooth them down with some jel/spray/wax/whatever. Don't think I have too much of them, but I have a lot of baby hair in the front, and that's what I do if they bother me :) Keep up the good work!

PS. Nice color!

schweedie
July 27th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Thank you so much for the comments, guys! That makes me feel better. It's funny how after never thinking twice about how I treated my hair for so long, now I suddenly have this want to baby it. If you'd told me three months ago I would be studying the ingredients list on a bottle of conditioner before buying it, I would've laughed!

Have you read Kirins guide to hair under the Articles/Hair Care section of the forum. She excellently explains everything about hair typing, damage, washing, conditioning, etc.
Ooh, no, I hadn't seen that. Thanks for the rec! Looks like a good read to be sure.

Virgin hair implies that it hasn't been treated or altered by things like dyes, perms, bleach, etc. Some people like to include things like heat styling, but that's really all up to you.
Ah, I wasn't sure whether heat styling was included. Thanks for clarifying! :)

Your hair colour is heavenly! Natural highlights too you lucky thing :p
Hee, thanks, but I'm not sure they're all entirely natural - I've been doing some honey lightening since I found the recipe on this site, and I think that's partly what gave me the highlights effect! :D

LouLaLa
July 27th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hee, thanks, but I'm not sure they're all entirely natural - I've been doing some honey lightening since I found the recipe on this site, and I think that's partly what gave me the highlights effect! :D

Wow!! Thats amazing, how did you do it? Theyre so subtle and nicely blended its like a Schwazkopf advert:cheese:

Anyway your hair is really fabulous!

spidermom
July 27th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Your hair looks to be in very good condition and BSL.

Khiwanean
July 27th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Frizz? What frizz? Your hair looks perfectly healthy to me. Silky even. The pictures make me want to run my hands though your hair just to see if it's as silky as it looks. And I would say you've reached BSL. Congratulations!

lapushka
July 27th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Yep, what frizz? It looks perfectly fine, don't worry. It's a nice color too. :)

Quixii
July 27th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Your hair looks great! It looks so soft and smooth. Beautiful, blonde, BSL hair. :D

schweedie
July 27th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Wow!! Thats amazing, how did you do it? Theyre so subtle and nicely blended its like a Schwazkopf advert:cheese:
I really just did it according to the instructions in the honey thread, but it seems some strands got lighter than others. But I didn't mind! :)

Frizz? What frizz? Your hair looks perfectly healthy to me. Silky even. The pictures make me want to run my hands though your hair just to see if it's as silky as it looks.
Heh, it did actually feel sllkier than usual today - I tried the Fructis Nutri-Repair for the first time and my hair seems to like it. I'm trying to step away from the cones, and so far it appears to be a good thing.

The frizz, or the flyaways, they're mostly on the sides of my head (well, I could have them in the back, too, but I don't see those) and I seem to notice them more when my hair is drying after a wash. I tend to sleep on my side, so maybe that's why I get them. Here's a picture of the dreaded frizz; it looks the same way on the other side:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/schweedie/Me/DSCN8793.jpg

The way it's a bunch of strands roughly the same length and in the same place was why my mind said 'Damaged!' But hey, even if it is, nothing to do but to be gentle with it.

coscass
July 28th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Your hair is gorgeous and seems to be doing fine to me!

chelseamichelle
July 28th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Your hair looks great! Don't worry

Xi
July 28th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Your hair looks lovely and well cared for. I wonder whether some of the flyaways you've noticed could just be new growth? My new little hairs sometimes have a life of their own after a shower. New growth is just part of the normal hair cycle.:)

Flossy
July 28th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Another one who thinks your hair looks lovely.

schweedie
July 29th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Thanks, guys. :)

Your hair looks lovely and well cared for. I wonder whether some of the flyaways you've noticed could just be new growth? My new little hairs sometimes have a life of their own after a shower. New growth is just part of the normal hair cycle.:)

Yeah, I think I'm going to tell myself that that's what it is, new growth. Maybe it's like you say, they just go nuts after a shower! They're so curly and frizzy it made start wondering if my hair will start to look completely different some years down the line when this new growth is taking over. :p

UltraBella
July 29th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I think your hair looks absolutely lovely !

Phexlyn
July 29th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Your hair looks lovely, and really smooth!
I only get that result when I'm on silicone products... :o

Blond Unicorn
July 29th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Your hair looks lovely and I'd say no need to worry! Babyhair has to grow (as we all loose haire on a daily base)

Dolly
July 29th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Yeah, I think I'm going to tell myself that that's what it is, new growth. Maybe it's like you say, they just go nuts after a shower! They're so curly and frizzy it made start wondering if my hair will start to look completely different some years down the line when this new growth is taking over. :p

Your hair is lovely, and very healthy looking.....I am a straightie like you, and I have baby hairs all up along the top of my head....but I don't mind because those are all new hairs! And after a major shed from a bad dye job, and now a seasonal shed, I NEED those hairs....go baby hairs GROW! :cheer:

freckles
July 29th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Your hair looks great as far as I can see. That said, it's really difficult to see damage on camera, normally you have to be looking quite carefully to see split ends and white dots. So, you'll know better than anyone here can tell you :)