PDA

View Full Version : going for a trim...

cleanbug
July 27th, 2010, 06:45 AM
hi there, we have moved recently & i am seeing a new hairstylist for the first time this saturday.
i want my ends trimmed as it has been 5 months & the ends are snarly.
any suggestions on what to say or ask for before she starts with the scissors?
i guess just tell her to give it a "dusting" ...just a tiny trim?

laurathexplora
July 27th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I always tell them " I want to keep as much length as possible, I'm growing it out". That seems to be the only thing that works for me. Other wise they say, "oh, a trim? how about we trim off 5 inches?" Ahhhhhhh!!!

serious
July 27th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Check out this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52516), you might find it helpful.

Good luck :)

Mexibeach
July 27th, 2010, 08:50 AM
OH! Good luck. I went to the lady I always went to for my cut - which was suppose to end up being shoulder length... I came out of there with chin length..... BE VERY SPECIFIC in your instructions and be sure they let you face the mirror..... mine did not!

spidermom
July 27th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I would always say "only trim 1/2-inch from the very bottom," and watch out if the stylist pulls your hair out at a 45- to 90-degree angle from your head. That means layers. For a trim, the hair should remain combed straight down.

prosperina
July 27th, 2010, 09:23 AM
In addition to telling them I don't want much taken off, I show them on my hair exactly how much I want cut off. I also tell them that I know there is more damage, but I don't want to get rid of it right away because I prefer more frequent little trims, and I might be in again in a month or so. Sometimes this is a lie, but at least it lets them know I'm aware that more could come off my hair and that I might be in again for more business!

countryhopper
July 28th, 2010, 04:05 AM
If you're up to it, you can try Feye's Self Trim Method. I've tried it on myself and it is very easy to do, and you can take off only the amount you want, no more!

kristymarie87
July 28th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Just make sure you show them how much and before they start to cut make sure they are on the same wavelength. Ask them to cut even less than what you want so that if you want more you can but if they cut a little to much it wont matter.

cleanbug
July 29th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Thanks for everyones replies! I really appreciate it. I've made a list of the criteria that I want & a list of things I don't want (like razoring or thinning).
Hopefully, we get off to a good start.
Thanks again

sibiryachka
July 29th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Let us know how it goes, please! It's always cause for celebration when one of us comes back from the salon having gotten just what s/he wanted!

cleanbug
August 20th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I forgot to post how things went! Hairdresser was fantastic...she "got me"...the way I think & what I wanted.
She took off exactly how much & wanted & evened out my self-haircut from a while back.
I will definitly be back to her in about 5-6 months for another mini trim.
Finally....someone i can trust with my hair!