PDA

View Full Version : What's the perfect style for wet bunning?

Theobroma
July 27th, 2010, 05:57 AM
So I was wondering what kinds of buns people like to do with wet hair, and what sort of bun waves you get from them?

I currently do a lazy wrap bun after washing. I love what it does to my length -- it dries smooth, with a gentle wave along most of the length and a pretty curl in the ends -- but I'm less happy with the big, awkward bump it puts in right at the root. I'd love to find a bun style that looks good enough to be seen in public with and that doesn't produce weird kinks in all the wrong places. Is there such a bun, I wonder?

Phexlyn
July 27th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Have you tried a cinnamon bun or a beebutt bun? I find bunwaves from those are more equally distributed than from a lazy wrap.

paperwhite
July 27th, 2010, 06:39 AM
My go-to bun is the Gibraltar bun. It works really well with wet/damp hair and doesn't leave a visible line where the bun begins. I get big, loose waves and curls when I damp bun with this one. Also, it holds steady all day with minimal pins/sticks/etc. Hope that helps! :)

Theobroma
July 27th, 2010, 07:01 AM
My go-to bun is the Gibraltar bun. It works really well with wet/damp hair and doesn't leave a visible line where the bun begins.

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks! Do you do yours the same as the description on Janis Cortese's page (http://www.io.com/%7Ecortese/hair/styling.html), or are there any fine points to look out for to prevent it from leaving that visible line?

Theobroma
July 27th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Have you tried a cinnamon bun or a beebutt bun? I find bunwaves from those are more equally distributed than from a lazy wrap.

I must admit I haven't yet. Partly, I think, because I don't have any cool hairtoys to secure a cinnabun with! I guess I'll have to make friends with my plain old hairpins and try it next time. :)

(Oh my. LHC has turned me into a hairtoy maniac!)

paperwhite
July 27th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks! Do you do yours the same as the description on Janis Cortese's page (http://www.io.com/%7Ecortese/hair/styling.html), or are there any fine points to look out for to prevent it from leaving that visible line?

I don't do mine exactly the same way, but it's basically the same concept. Here's how I make my Gibraltar bun:

1. Gather hair into a mid-height ponytail
2. Twist clockwise (or counter clockwise, whichever is preferable)
3. Loosely make the first coil
4. Continue twisting and coiling the rest of the hair around the base of the first coil
5. Gently pull the first coil over the base and all other coils
6. Secure with sticks/clips/pins

Because the bun is made by twisting the hair into coils, there's no line showing where it begins, just a change in texture from the scalp hair to the bunned hair. I love it because it will hold all of my hair all day long and it takes next to no time and effort to create :)

Here's Hypnotica's video instructions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXfp_wANOkw

Hope that helps!

kjirstiben
July 27th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Another Gibraltar wet-bunner here... I used to use the Cinnabun but my hair got too long to stay in place... I'd feel a cold, snaky loop dangling down on my neck sometime during the day. Gross!

I like the texture I get from the Gibraltar bun: smooth to a slight wave and then curls for the length. Having a looser first coil makes the transition a lot less stark between the head-hair and the bun-hair.