PDA

View Full Version : questions about my Sunburned head :(

peronella
July 27th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Hey guys, I was out in the sun on Saturday and, stupid me, I missed putting sunscreen on the back of my neck, my arms and I didn't cover my head. I know. I suck, but I wasn't really expecting to be out in the sun as much as I was but that's no excuse for someone like me, requires extreme sun protection (everyone does!)

So I got burned pretty badly in those places and I'm wondering about my burned scalp. will it damage the hair growing there? will it fall out? its been 2 days and its still very red and tender, more than the rest of my burns, it probably got the most sun.

has this happened to anyone? any advice? want to scold me? (i deserve it). what do you guys do to protect your scalp from the sun? can I put sunscreen in my hair or no?

thanks!

urara12
July 27th, 2010, 12:46 AM
I am sorry that you got sun burned.I was recommend to use
aloe gel when I got chemical burned. it made my scalp really calm down, (my Dr recommend me to use gerogia's aloe gel & I did ) hope it get better soon.

RachelRain
July 27th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I have a center part in my hair, I've burned the skin that shows there pretty bad before. I had blisters one year.

I recommend a clear aloe (the green ones can burn depending how bad your sunburn is) and lots of cool rags while it's still giving off heat :) or even cold water bottles or soda cans, whatever's available.

hope it clears up soon :)

freckles
July 27th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I've burned my parting a fair few times. Nowadays, I make sure I don't have a part if I'm outside in the summer (hair pulled right back). It hurts for days, but I just wanted to reassure you that it's not going to make your hair fall out or anything :)

peronella
July 27th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Thanks everybody, I'll put aloe on it, and try to never let it happen again.

and freckles I'll do that, pull my hair straight back, its not my usual style, I didn't even think of it, thanks :)

julliams
July 27th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Well, I guess you could wear a hat/cap if you are out and about in the sun.

Living in Australia has meant that my scalp has been burnt a few times. Nothing will happen to your hair but your scalp will itch as it's getting better and flake with HUGE flakes that will look like dandruff on steroids. All will be fine. I guess the best advice would be to apply aloe vera gel to your scalp as often as you feel you need it (make sure it is clear and not have alcohol in it).

Phexlyn
July 27th, 2010, 04:22 AM
I get sunburn quite quickly as well. Have you tried putting yoghurt on your scalp? It cools and I found that very soothing.

For protection, you can wear your hair without a part (just straight back, as was already suggested), but make sure to put lotion on your face and especially near your hairline - sunburn there really hurts. Better still, put on a headscarf or a hat while you're outside.

Hope you get better soon!

In2wishin
July 27th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Hey guys, I was out in the sun on Saturday and, stupid me, I missed putting sunscreen on the back of my neck, my arms and I didn't cover my head. I know. I suck, but I wasn't really expecting to be out in the sun as much as I was but that's no excuse for someone like me, requires extreme sun protection (everyone does!)

So I got burned pretty badly in those places and I'm wondering about my burned scalp. will it damage the hair growing there? will it fall out? its been 2 days and its still very red and tender, more than the rest of my burns, it probably got the most sun.

has this happened to anyone? any advice? want to scold me? (i deserve it). what do you guys do to protect your scalp from the sun? can I put sunscreen in my hair or no?

thanks!

I've done that more times than I like to admit. I also would go with the aloe. You asked if this would afffect your hair: in my experience it has not. The only aftereffect you may get will be itching and possibly peeling wich will look like giant dandruff flakes. I never noticed any thinning after a sunburn.

LouLaLa
July 27th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Ive saw on TV that plain natural yoghurt is meant to work wonders. They did a test on some sunburned people in Marbella and they all said it soothed the stinging and calmed the redness.

jasper
July 27th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I burned my part memorably one time. I was out in the sun all day for two days with sunscreen all over that I kept reapplying religiously. The first day I wore a hat, but not the second. I had my hair in a ponytail and burned the part along my bangs. The next day, I was brushing my hair and couldn't understand why it hurt. :rolleyes: The peeling was not pretty. It was like giganto dandruff.

My advice is to remember your hat.

GRU
July 27th, 2010, 07:14 AM
The hair will be fine, but the peeling is DISGUSTING.... looks like you have HUGE dandruff flakes. Blech!

PineappleJello
July 27th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I did this the Saturday before last and I just dowsed my part with Coconut Oil. I wasn't even sure if it would work I just needed something on it because our aloe vera got lost. A week later my part peeled so bad. Absolutely disgusting so I oiled more, did a few scalp massages and wore my hair without a part.Coconut Link (http://www.coconut-oil-central.com/coconut-oil-burns.html)

Anje
July 27th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Well, I've been known to burn right through my hair pulled straight back, so I'd suggest wearing a hat or bandana if your hair isn't a lot thicker than mine.

I've heard that vinegar is good on bad sunburns, and it's reasonably hair-friendly. Between that and aloe gel, it should feel better before long.

aksown
July 27th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I second the vinegar! I sunburned my part when I was using baking soda and vinegar to clean my hair and the vinegar takes the heat right out of a burn. It's still red and it'll still peel but it won't hurt anymore.