PDA

View Full Version : Pressure to Cut

ademtce
July 26th, 2010, 11:19 PM
so lately i've been pressured to cut my hair, being a guy with longer hair has advantages and disadvantages, basically all of my teenage life i've had long hair - so im a bit curious to see what its like with shorter hair but im still not sure i wanna commit to it.

what say you?
right now at about shoulder length, and if i did get i'd a "traditional" men's haircut

Juneii
July 26th, 2010, 11:22 PM
what is a "traditional" men's cut?

I don't have much in advice for you since you expressed an interest in having shorter hair. Give it the two week rule and see if you still want to see how your hair looks short. Just don't get it cut because someone else wants you to, it's your hair right? :)

coscass
July 26th, 2010, 11:24 PM
If you want to try it- go ahead. Hair grows back, after all. I like rocking both short and long styles- kinda going back and forth between them. There are great styles and styling options for both long hair and short hair- so do the 2 week rule and see if you still wanna cut, and if you do- go for it. Get a regular guys cut, get some steps put in, or try a fauxhawk or something fun and go crazy. It's your hair, but do it because YOU want to do it- not because someone else wants you to.

I never thought I'd be able to have layers in my hair, but I randomly tried them out today and ended up loving them.

ChrissieM
July 27th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Well, since you are only at shoulder length now the "grow out" time wouldn't be that bad if you decide you hate the short cut. If you do cut, I'd advise getting a longer men's haircut first, something so the hair still moves and you can still feel the breeze blowing through. Then get it shorter if you want to.

Night_Kitten
July 27th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Personally, I like long hair on guys :)
But I think you should consider what you really want, regardless of all the outside pressure/remarks/advices/preferences and deside on the basis of how you feel about your hair, so you can make the right choice for you that you won't regret later...

spidermom
July 27th, 2010, 01:52 PM
If you're curious, why not? Standard man cut to shoulder length is only about one year. But only do it if YOU want to, not because somebody else wants you to. That will only lead to resentment.

MercuryChaos
July 27th, 2010, 02:02 PM
If you're doing it because you're curious, then I'd say go for it. One thing you should be aware of, though — short hair obviously needs less daily maintenance, but a traditional "man cut" requires regular trips to the barber to keep it from looking messy. My dad goes about every six weeks; I used to go a lot longer between cuts, but that's because I'm a poor college student and don't need to look professional every day.

Kathie
July 27th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I agree- do it only if you want to. If you’re after a change there are some pretty cool medium length styles for guys going around at the moment that are somewhere in between shoulder length and what I would call a more traditional cut, or shoulder length with some layering. This sort of style may be an option, with less grow out time.

http://men-haircuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/teenchoiceawards07_men_041.jpg

http://www.aaa-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/mens-long-hairstyle.jpg

jera
July 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM
so lately i've been pressured to cut my hair, being a guy with longer hair has advantages and disadvantages, basically all of my teenage life i've had long hair - so im a bit curious to see what its like with shorter hair but im still not sure i wanna commit to it.

what say you?
right now at about shoulder length, and if i did get i'd a "traditional" men's haircut

I say to do what would please yourself and not worry about the opinions of others. Who is pressuring you? If it was an employer I could understand, but if it's just a friend I think I'd tell them what they can do with their opinions. :p

ademtce
July 27th, 2010, 03:36 PM
it's mostly friend, i've been wondering about it a lot before then though...

im still not sure.

rockkcor
July 27th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Funny - pressure made me grow it instead or in spite :D