PDA

View Full Version : getting my hair braided tomorrow

redneckprincess
July 26th, 2010, 06:05 PM
i can not french braid my own hair and no-body I know seams to know how to... So I will be paying my favorite hair stylist FIFTEEN dollars to french braid my hair tomorrow...Im so excited to finally have it done, but wishing I didnt have to pay someone so much to do it for me...oh well, I'll just try to keep it in for a few days

loralie
July 26th, 2010, 06:11 PM
15!?! Seriously? Gosh, it's only going to take her like 5 minutes, that's pretty steep!

I still suck at it... but I find that using mirrors and practicing helps so much. Even if at first you're just grabbing chunks of hair, practice makes perfect!

You'll have to take pictures, I'm sure it will look great!

Capybara
July 26th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Ooh that is exciting! :)

kmangus
July 26th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Pictures! :) Oh, and If you lived near a LHCer Im sure someone would oblige :P

Juneii
July 26th, 2010, 06:32 PM
$15?! that better be some phenomenal french braid because if you were close to me I would do it for you at no cost. Is it just a simple braid down your back or is it a crown braid or something with a bit more technique?
Are you sure you can't just do it yourself? I still think $15 is a bit much for just a braid...

maxzeen
July 26th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Wow that's really expensive. I never knew how to do a french braid before, but then I watched it step by step on youtube, and I eventually got the hang of it. Trying doing it with chunks of hair. You'll get the hang of it! :D

Smile4Kiki
July 26th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Maybe she can give you some tips on how to master it yourself? 15 for just a braid seems a bit much.

Kome
July 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I don't think it's a bad price. My mom and I used to go and get french braids done when my mom's arm was broken. It was great because she could leave it like that for a week or two without it coming out.

A professional french braid will be SO MUCH BETTER than doing it yourself. Everyone is saying they could do it, but trust me, if you get someone good than you should be able to leave it in for more than a few days without worrying about it. I can french braid my own hair and used to do it all the time when I did competitive skating. However, one of the mom's of a skater did some beautiful french braids that looked soooooo much nicer and held so much better than mine. I could never do mine so good.

I hope it turns out great and can't wait to see pictures! I've honestly never seen a REALLY good french braid on here. No offense to anyone, but I've just seen so many in my life time because of skating. Haha. I hope you get someone who's really good at it! :)

birthmarkie
July 26th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I've often thought it would be great if there were a salon specializing in braiding long hair. I don't think $15 is much to pay for a long hair friendly style you can't do yourself. People pay a lot more for a tiny trim or a big chop or a blowout or any number of styles that shorten or damage hair. So IMO, why not? You could probably learn to french braid with a little practice, but I can never french braid my hair as well as someone else would do it for me. Please have her take a picture too and post it if you can!

jasper
July 26th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Post pictures please.

The price sounds reasonable to me. This is a professional stylist who is paid for her time, expertise and place of business as well as the styling service.

Juneii
July 26th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I've honestly never seen a REALLY good french braid on here.

I find it hard to believe that on a forum dedicated to hair care and hair styling that you won't find at least one person who cannot do a good french braid.

I don't doubt that the braid done by a professional won't look nice, but I am sure there should be at least a few here who can make a braid that fits your standard.

Carolyn
July 26th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I don't think $15 is out of line. If you are careful how you sleep on it, it should last several days. When I've had mine braided it always lasted about 4 days. You could check a beauty school to see if they do it and it would probably be less.

Speckla
July 26th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Enjoy and make sure to post pictures.

sarahbrownie
July 26th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Post pictures please.

The price sounds reasonable to me. This is a professional stylist who is paid for her time, expertise and place of business as well as the styling service.

Yes, I second this. I'm in love with braids and would like to know how it holds up, my Frenchies always come out.

Gumball
July 26th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Have fun getting your hair braided! I bet it's going to look great!

I remember going to a salon for a trim many, many years ago, back when my daily style was a regular three-strand braid down my back. When the trim was all done and I still had damp hair the stylist asked if I wanted my hair to be put back up into the braid. I said yes, and she made the comment that she hoped she could still do it since it was years since she's done it (and she'd been a stylist for a long time by then). I chuckled.

Gumball
July 26th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I find it hard to believe that on a forum dedicated to hair care and hair styling that you won't find at least one person who cannot do a good french braid.

I don't doubt that the braid done by a professional won't look nice, but I am sure there should be at least a few here who can make a braid that fits your standard.

I agree with that. Pros have off days, while amateurs can do wonders, and it's all in the eyes of the beholders after that. People sometimes can be sticklers when it comes to width of sections, where the braid starts, and even how the hair type itself looks. :shrug: :)

Kristin
July 26th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I've honestly never seen a REALLY good french braid on here.

Maybe you haven't been looking. No offense to you, but there are some freaking awesome braids on LHC. They beat ANYTHING I have ever seen in real life or on t.v. (even when watching skating competitions).

That said, braids that are made by someone else are often a bit neater since you can't see the back of your own head. I think $15 is an okay price, but would definitely learn if you plan on having long hair and would like a variety of styles. I'm so glad I learned when I was a kid. :)

Juneii
July 26th, 2010, 09:33 PM
That said, braids that are made by someone else are often a bit neater since you can't see the back of your own head.

Exactly. Since many of the photos of braids on here is done by the person themselves it's not going to look quite as perfect. I remember looking around and seeing Gumball's and Igor's braids (others too, but I remember theirs the best), the ones they do are pretty tight and doesn't look like it will fall apart very easily.

Despite what everyone else says I'm still surprised that $15 is a good price for a french braid, it makes me want to brush up on my skills and make some money :D

Gumball
July 26th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Exactly. Since many of the photos of braids on here is done by the person themselves it's not going to look quite as perfect. I remember looking around and seeing Gumball's and Igor's braids (others too, but I remember theirs the best), the ones they do are pretty tight and doesn't look like it will fall apart very easily.

Despite what everyone else says I'm still surprised that $15 is a good price for a french braid, it makes me want to brush up on my skills and make some money :D

Aww. The french braids I get tend to be by someone else I've taught to french braid (since my hair hugs itself and I may get tired of it quickly if I were to do it).

You should price check at braiding booths at Renaissance fairs. Brush up on those skills!

Phexlyn
July 27th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Oh please post pictures! I'm curious to see how a professional will do your braid.
If you find time, maybe you could do second/third-day pics as well? I always wonder how others manage to keep their braids so neat after they've slept on them. Mine get messy really quickly.

countryhopper
July 27th, 2010, 01:59 AM
i can't rmember when I learned to french braid (early teens, maybe). I think it's one of those things that looks really hard at first but with practice you can do a very good braid very quickly. Take an afternoon or evening to watch tutorials and practice. I do much better styles on my hair when I'm not pressed for time than, say, in the morning before rushing off to work...

once you know the basics to french braiding, it's very easy to learn dutch and herringbone braids, too since it's basically the same movements.

Maddy25
July 27th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Oh fun!!! Can't wait to see pics <3

MsBubbles
July 27th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Well good for you! I have thought about trying to have somebody else French braid my hair to see how difficult/easy it was for them, since I find it so hard to do on my own hair (fine, tangly, floppy and loose no matter how hard I yank the sections around). And hey - it's your $15! Do what you want with it! And post pics please :).

hmmm
July 27th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I want to see what a 15 dollar french braid looks like too :D

pepperminttea
July 27th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I've often thought it would be great if there were a salon specializing in braiding long hair. I don't think $15 is much to pay for a long hair friendly style you can't do yourself. People pay a lot more for a tiny trim or a big chop or a blowout or any number of styles that shorten or damage hair. So IMO, why not? You could probably learn to french braid with a little practice, but I can never french braid my hair as well as someone else would do it for me. Please have her take a picture too and post it if you can!

Me too - I would love to be able to go somewhere that did 8-strand braids, or crown braids, things like that, that even with practice, I'd still feel like I needed more fingers! :)

When I got my hair cut by an old friend of the family she used to put my hair in two French braids after she'd trimmed it. I usually kept them in for a couple of days, so I'm sure you'll be able to get a few days out of it - a silk pillowcase or sleeping cap should help stop the frizz-out happening too much.

GRU
July 27th, 2010, 06:32 AM
If you lived in my part of the state, we could exchange braiding services for free! :D

Back when I used to still get my hair cut, my stylist would toss it up into a French or Dutch braid for free as part of the cut-and-style price.

serious
July 27th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Can't wait to see pics!

ButterCream
July 27th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Hope you`ll post pictures:)

I honestly don`t think 15 dollars is super expensive if it will keep several days...?

For 15 dollars I don`t even get a lot of food here in Norway, so if you et to have something done you can`t do for yourself right now I think it is cool someone proffessional can help you out:)

Kome
July 27th, 2010, 07:53 AM

I've seen good french braids, but nothing that was as good as I've seen in person. I wish I could show a picture of what I mean. There are loose braids and tight braids. I consider tight braids to be better done because they stay in better. You don't see a lot of those since people here do the braids themselves and it's hard to braid the back of your own head! :D

OrangeStripe
July 27th, 2010, 09:35 AM
My mother is a former hairdresser, and although she doesn't know many fancy hairstyles, she can do a MEAN french braid. Even when I had a really short fringe (a LONG time ago) she could put all my hair up and it would stay in the braid all weekend, and this was me at weekend camps, which involved a SERIOUS amount of running around. If I didn't have her, I would definitely pay $15 for that kind of braid. When my hair is back and tight like that, I just feel so much brighter and cleaner.

redneckprincess
July 27th, 2010, 09:36 AM
If you lived in my part of the state, we could exchange braiding services for free! :D

Back when I used to still get my hair cut, my stylist would toss it up into a French or Dutch braid for free as part of the cut-and-style price.

message me and tell me what big city you are by...maybe the drive could be worth it next time...+ it would count as a mini meet, lol

I know how to french braid...and WELL, just not on myself, I always wind up doing a dutch, which still looks nice but Im willing to be pampered a bit and have someone else do it this time. Yeah I hope it will stay in for awhile. my ends are still layered so I dont know how well that will turn out, but well try..

yep pics will be posted

Merlin
July 27th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I reckon that ones done by professionals do look different to the ones done by amateurs - they seem to be very even, use somewhat smaller sections and run evenly right down to the nape of the neck tightly. When I used to do Mrs Merlin's (years ago) the woman who cut our hair offered to watch me do it and then said that I was 'doing a very good job for somebody who was self-taught', then showed me how she'd do it and it was different.

I'm not saying the professional ones are better, just different.

SurprisingWoman
July 27th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I can't braid to save my life. I would gladly pay to have my hair braided if it was important to me.

We will need pics!

maybe sparrow
July 27th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I've seen french braids I'd pay 15 bucks for.

Juneii
July 27th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I've seen good french braids, but nothing that was as good as I've seen in person. I wish I could show a picture of what I mean. There are loose braids and tight braids. I consider tight braids to be better done because they stay in better. You don't see a lot of those since people here do the braids themselves and it's hard to braid the back of your own head! :D

Ah, yes I forgot that since we do the braids ourselves it wouldn't look as nice (my arms tire out near the end and I give up and grab chunks).
And that's what meet-ups are for - good french braids and hair dos. :D

redneckprincess - do post pictures soon, I am curious to see what it looks like.

Gumball
July 27th, 2010, 12:15 PM
And that's what meet-ups are for - good french braids and hair dos. :D

What? Braiding happens at meets?! Shenanigans!

redneckprincess
July 27th, 2010, 12:42 PM
2 more hours till my appt...I dont like that its so late in the day, but better late then never!!!!

kimki
July 27th, 2010, 12:45 PM
2 more hours till my appt...I dont like that its so late in the day, but better late then never!!!!

Looking forward to seeing pictures! Enjoy :flower:

Merlin
July 27th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I'd braid your hair for nothing too - I used to love doing it but Mrs M never wants it done any more :-(

breezefaerie
July 27th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I'd love to see pics!

spidermom
July 27th, 2010, 01:11 PM
The few times I had my hair stylist french-braid my hair instead of dry it, it looked worse than when I do it myself. I'm sure you could do this, RNP; it's exactly the same as a dutch braid except your cross OVER the center strand (instead of under). 1) make 3 strands, 2) cross right strand over center strand, 3) cross left strand over center strand, 4) add hair to right strand and cross over center, 5) add hair to to left strand and cross over center. Repeat 4 and 5 to end.

SurprisingWoman
July 27th, 2010, 08:44 PM
The few times I had my hair stylist french-braid my hair instead of dry it, it looked worse than when I do it myself. I'm sure you could do this, RNP; it's exactly the same as a dutch braid except your cross OVER the center strand (instead of under). 1) make 3 strands, 2) cross right strand over center strand, 3) cross left strand over center strand, 4) add hair to right strand and cross over center, 5) add hair to to left strand and cross over center. Repeat 4 and 5 to end.

Bwahaha...

I don't know if she is as braid challenged as I am but this reads like how to build a ladder to Jupiter, it's as same as one to the Moon only you go over instead of under... :confused:

I can't braid. I would gladly pay.

spidermom
July 27th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Bwahaha...

I don't know if she is as braid challenged as I am but this reads like how to build a ladder to Jupiter, it's as same as one to the Moon only you go over instead of under... :confused:

I can't braid. I would gladly pay.

RNP can do the dutch braid so isn't exactly braid challenged, but I'm sorry my instructions aren't clear to you.

jasper
July 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM
The last time I tried myself, I got a respectable Dutch braid when attempting a French braid. I am sure I understand the theory, but after I hear a few hairs snap when I try to practice, I get satisfied with the English braid.

*awaits pictures*

sally_neuf
July 27th, 2010, 09:30 PM
That's SO neat RedNeckPrincess, I can't wait to see your pictures!! Are you braiding for a special occasion (other than amusing your LHC fellows :D) or just for the fun of it?

MsBubbles
July 27th, 2010, 09:34 PM
it's exactly the same as a dutch braid except your cross OVER the center strand (instead of under). 1) make 3 strands, 2) cross right strand over center strand, 3) cross left strand over center strand, 4) add hair to right strand and cross over center, 5) add hair to to left strand and cross over center. Repeat 4 and 5 to end.

I can do this! Especially in my head...:rolleyes: . Just need to figure out how to keep all the strands separate in real life. I was happy that I could read this and know exactly what you meant. Also I had no idea that this was the only difference in Dutch/French braiding.

Awaiting pics! :drama:

Rivanariko
July 27th, 2010, 09:37 PM
If you can always end up with a dutch braid, maybe try for a dutch braid and it'll turn out french? Just an idea, since they're basically just backwards of each other :flower

Can't wait to see the pictures!

sally_neuf
July 27th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I'm better braiding my own hair than some elses, I guess there are styles for everything.
By the way, I have seen ALL kinds of braids here, Some users do kind of loose french/dutch braids (myself included), but I have seen pretty tight French braid as well, that have like.. a lot of bumps per inch, meaning... high bump density!! (if that makes any sense lol) I think yellowchariot is one of those.

redneckprincess
July 28th, 2010, 08:48 AM
PICS HAVE ARRIVED!!! and no I was just braiding for fun, although I planned to wear it for about a week and just found out I have to work this weekend-ish (Th,Fri+Mon,Tue) I need a hair styly that will remain very similer throughout, and look diffrent from the last time I was there which I wore it up as well. so I will sadly have to take it by tomorrow, but I do have pics...

Im happy with the braid except before I went to bed I had to put a tie on the nape because my layers started unravaling, still Id pay for it to be done again...when I know I wont be working for a week or can use the style, lol...

sorry my photobucket isnt working, you will have to follow the link to my album here...

pics are marked, one from soon after having it done, and one from this morning after sleeping on my FACE

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4574

serious
July 28th, 2010, 08:54 AM
It's LOVELY!

breezefaerie
July 28th, 2010, 08:56 AM
It came out so nice!!! I would say, worth the $15 :D

freckles
July 28th, 2010, 08:59 AM
it looks great :)

GRU
July 28th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Beautiful, rnp!

And I just love your hair color! :crush:

birthmarkie
July 28th, 2010, 09:09 AM
It looks wonderful!!! I could never do that on myself.

LouLaLa
July 28th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Loves it! You have some wonderfully wicked shine too! Do you oil?

Gumball
July 28th, 2010, 09:32 AM
That looks great, RNP! The best part is that it was all for fun, and that makes things even better. :D It came out nice, neat, and utterly shiny!

pepperminttea
July 28th, 2010, 09:36 AM
It came out beautifully! And I love the colour too, the henna's gorgeous on you!

Sammich
July 28th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Yes, I second this. I'm in love with braids and would like to know how it holds up, my Frenchies always come out.

Yuppers to that quote and this quote! :p
I'm excited to see! :D I can't do a French to save my life.

Edit:
OMG! It turned out wonderful for $15! :D Yaay! How gorgeous is that!
I wish I could do one. :p

squiggyflop
July 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM
hmmm well it looks good.. but i can do that myself... not worth 15$

Gumball
July 28th, 2010, 11:29 AM
hmmm well it looks good.. but i can do that myself... not worth 15$

It's a wee bit different if you can't do it yourself. :) One person's capability can be another person's treasure!

squiggyflop
July 28th, 2010, 11:35 AM
It's a wee bit different if you can't do it yourself. :) One person's capability can be another person's treasure!
i suppose.. but i still think its cheaper and more rewarding to watch torrin paige's vids and learn yourself

redneckprincess
July 28th, 2010, 11:36 AM
thank you all so much, boy I wish I could do that on myself, I can infact do that good of a job if not better on someone else though!!! and yes I oil not often though...

Gumball
July 28th, 2010, 11:38 AM
i suppose.. but i still think its cheaper and more rewarding to watch torrin paige's vids and learn yourself

It definitely can in the long run, but people can get something to enjoy in the meantime, too, until they have sufficient ability to do that by themselves.

ETA: Also having the feeling of being pampered by having someone do something for you can be a good experience all on its own.

SurprisingWoman
July 28th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I think it's lovely. Congrat's.

JesusFreak88
July 28th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Beautiful! I honestly can french braid my own hair better then I can braid someone else. I learned on myself though. When I have the patience I can do really good french braids. I can even do my own crown braids. I had to do them for musical once and it only took me about half an hour to do them.

Phexlyn
July 28th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Wow that looks gorgeous on you! :D
I wish my french braids would hold like this... guess I'm just a very rough sleeper, but on the next day the braids always look like a bird's nest ;)

squiggyflop
July 28th, 2010, 12:07 PM
It definitely can in the long run, but people can get something to enjoy in the meantime, too, until they have sufficient ability to do that by themselves.

ETA: Also having the feeling of being pampered by having someone do something for you can be a good experience all on its own.
yes being pampered is nice.. very nice.. i guess its good to be pampered sometimes.. though if i was going to be pampered i would go for the full spa experience.. like after getting the hair braided i would get a pedicure and massage.. heehee..

Gumball
July 28th, 2010, 12:12 PM
yes being pampered is nice.. very nice.. i guess its good to be pampered sometimes.. though if i was going to be pampered i would go for the full spa experience.. like after getting the hair braided i would get a pedicure and massage.. heehee..

From head to toe's the way to go? :D

twolunarspring
July 28th, 2010, 01:13 PM
That's very pretty. I'm guessing $15 is around an English tenner. I'd pay that :)
I can do French braids on myself, and fairly well, but they don't turn out as even as that, or as 'puffy' (not sure that's the right word, but I mean with a nice softness to the sections). I'd pay &#163;10 for a French braid as nice as that, for a special occasion.

tinti
July 28th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Nice! Congrats :) Worth the 15, I think.

share801
July 28th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Years ago I went to a local beauty school for french braids and it was about $8. A "real" salon had quoted me $40.

eamane
July 28th, 2010, 01:50 PM
That's a really nice looking braid! And it looks great in your hair :)

Gumball
July 28th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Years ago I went to a local beauty school for french braids and it was about $8. A "real" salon had quoted me $40.

Wowsers! $40 for a french braid? That's kind of steep. It makes you hope the hair tie they'd use is made of gold!

Kome
July 28th, 2010, 02:11 PM
It looks great! Very shiney too, but I'm sure that's all you and not the stylist. Hehe.

yellowchariot
July 28th, 2010, 02:23 PM
redneckprincess, I just now found this thread! I don't see how I could have missed it! :D

Your braid looks phenomenal! nice, even, full, and excellent sections! I give it 4 thumbs up and a rocker dude! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rockerdud hehe
I think $15 is about an average price. My hairstylist offered to do one on me for free, right after she trimmed my ends That was about a year ago. I should have taken her up on her offer! lol

I have noticed something what I watch a "Professional" braiding video/tutorial, that I have a hard time doing on myself. I think it is the "key" to much smoother sections, as the hair is crossed over. I'll try my best to explain what I notice:

When a "hairstylist/professional" makes a French braid, they take the outer part of the section and cross it over into the middle, then they add hair to that section. After that, they "lock" it into place by making a whole new "braid cycle" and bring the opposite side into the middle as well.

^ If that confuses anyone, here is another explanation.
-> Start your braid like this:
-> Left over Center
-> Then Right over Center
-> (Normally if you are braiding on yourself, you would add in
new hair, to the LEFT section, at this point, and then cross
it over the middle. However they use a slightly
different technique.)

-> At this point, the stylist crosses the LEFT section over
the Center
-> Now at this point, the LEFT section has become your
Center section.
-> Then they add in new hair from the left side to that
Center section
-> After the new hair has been added to the Center section,
it is "locked" down, by crossing over the Right section
of hair to keep it securly in place, which gives that
tight woven smooth look to the "French" part of
the braid.

My question is . . . How do you hold your hands/fingers to do this technique on yourself? I hope that my directions were clear lol.

Xi
July 28th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Very pretty, redneckprincess!:blossom: I've certainly never made such an excellent braid -- nice to know that hairstylists can pull off beautiful hair-friendly styles that don't involve cutting!:scissors:;)

Rivanariko
July 28th, 2010, 02:52 PM
That's an interesting idea yellowchariot, I might have to see if I can try that! I'm not allowed to do anything today anyway because I twisted my ankle last night... might as well make the most of it by playing with my hair!

RNP the braid turned out beautiful! And if you enjoyed it, then it is TOTALLY worth the $15!

Sammich
July 28th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Wowsers! $40 for a french braid? That's kind of steep. It makes you hope the hair tie they'd use is made of gold!

LOL, thanks for the laugh dude!
Seriously though... that much for a French? I would think 15 is alot for a French, but 40!?!! O_O

yellowchariot
July 28th, 2010, 06:03 PM
That's an interesting idea yellowchariot, I might have to see if I can try that! I'm not allowed to do anything today anyway because I twisted my ankle last night... might as well make the most of it by playing with my hair!

RNP the braid turned out beautiful! And if you enjoyed it, then it is TOTALLY worth the $15!

Report back ASAP, Rivanariko :D
Sorry about your ankle! I wish you a speedy recovery!

LOL, thanks for the laugh dude!
Seriously though... that much for a French? I would think 15 is alot for a French, but 40!?!! O_O

^ For real, I'd image $40 for a multi-strand type style.

OH BTW: RNP, I didn't mean to Hi-Jack your thread, with my previous post :o. The last thing I want to do is take away attention from your spectacular braid.
If we all band together, I bet we could teach ourselves how to do those $15-$40 braids ;) hehe

heynormy
July 28th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I think your braid looks really pretty!! Your hair color and shine make it even better!!

missfortune9335
July 28th, 2010, 06:31 PM
It looks great! So shiny and pretty. Some people just can't get the hang of braiding. I work with a woman who *loves* the look of braided hair but she simply can not do it. Sometimes I braid her hair for her when I know she has a "girls night" after work or something (it looks super professional with me standing at her desk braiding her hair... we always have to be sure the boss isn't around!) we go 'round and 'round about that:
me: you can learn to braid hair you just have to practice!
her: no I can't! I've tried and tried my fingers just won't do it!!
Some people honestly don't have a knack for it, and you can't be good at *everything* right? if it makes you happy and love your hair and all it cost was $15.00 I say great!

spidermom
July 28th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Wonderful result; too bad you can't keep it in longer.

Yozhik
July 28th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Wow! Those photos were worth the wait -- what a pretty braid, even after a night of tossing in bed :)

I love your new hair color, by the way :D

Capybara
July 28th, 2010, 07:22 PM
That certainly is a beautiful braid :D I'd say you've gotten your money's worth!

Drynwhyl
July 28th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I probably couldn't do a french braid that neat on myself (I can do a mean english braid though)
but on someone else, I can...
Hope you enjoyed it and all, but I'd never pay for something like that (but on the other hand, I didn't get a "professional" haircut in at least 10 years)
I suppose if you have the money, it's not much.

Rivanariko
July 28th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Yellowchariot no luck so far. :( I tried reversing my fingers so I was holding the middle strand with the finger that normally holds the outside strand, but then I couldn't keep that strand in the middle... I'll try again tomorrow though. My hair desperately needs a wash, but I wasn't sure if I could stand in the shower long enough with my ankle... stupid thing. Thanks for the well-wishes also :) It should be fine in a couple days. I'm a total klutz, so I've done this a few times before!

Nini
July 29th, 2010, 02:37 AM
That looked very nice! Too bad you couldn't keep it longer.

redneckprincess
July 29th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Wow thank you all so much, I do love the color, and I get alot of RL compliments on it!!!

yes the braid stayed perfect after the second night but I had to take it out so I can shower for work later.
I will try to learn to do half as good of a braid on myself if it makes my arms fall off, lol

glad you all enjoyed the pics

lapushka
July 29th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Lovely braid & love the hair color!

What made it easier for me to learn to French / Dutch braid as a kid was using my thumbs.

Here's a vid demonstrating this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvqjFiDUIwE

Henrietta
July 29th, 2010, 11:27 AM
It was worth 15 dollars and sleeping on your face, wasn't it? Looks fantastic. I am good at french braiding (what a modesty, ha?) but I wouldn't be able to do such braid. It's... ornamental. Every strand it like a wave. And they are so even. Gorgeous.

Juneii
July 29th, 2010, 04:08 PM

seconding what Gumball said, I would hope they're weaving in some solid gold ribbons in your hair for that price as well!

I would pay money to get a crown braid though, as much as I tried I still can't do it by myself :(

The braid looks good RedNeckPrincess! Your hair color is gorgeous as well :)