PDA

View Full Version : Parting shows at back of crown of my head

whichypoohs
July 26th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hello - my centre parting is showing a bit at the back of the crown of my head....it's really annoying. Anyone have any ideas.

I wear a centre parting :)

GlennaGirl
July 26th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Me too, a little. I believe around here it's called "hair cleavage". Lots of people have it. :) I just grin and bear it.

Caldonia Sun
July 26th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I have it and HATE it! Since my hair is silver, my scalp always comes through as very pinkish. Not so noticeable if my hair is washed daily.

Centaur
July 26th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I have always had hair cleavage, even from when I was a child.

It shows up clearly with my dark hair and very white scalp contrast.

FrannyG
July 26th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I have it too, and unless I brush my hair straight back and firmly clip it that way, it shows all the time. It's just one of those things we have to live with. There really is no answer, because that's just the pattern of the way our hair grows.

adiapalic
July 26th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I always wear a middle part. I have a part that goes way back and cuts to the ride side. It's a cowlick or crown swirly thing or something. Anyway, lots of brushing straight back to make braids and pony-tails has helped train the hair around to part where i want it to and for the cowlick thing to not be as obvious. :flower:

heynormy
July 26th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I have hair cleavage too!! It's horrible because my scalp is pale and my hair is really dark brown!! I'm not a fan of center parts (unfortunately that's how my hair naturally parts), so I always try to comb it out before putting my hair up!

jackiesjottings
July 27th, 2010, 03:34 AM
I have it too, my parting runs down for about 2 inches below my crown. One of those quirks of my hair :)

Phexlyn
July 27th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Oh yeah, I have that as well, but mine is way off to the left and crooked so if I don't pay attention when doing my updos, it looks really funny... I always comb it after putting my hair up (just that special spot) and fix it with a pin, if necessary.

Maybe try pinning your hair into place or use one of those mini-clawclips?

s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n
July 27th, 2010, 03:50 AM
I used to have a similar problem, but since I changed the pillow, it's gone :D
I had slept on a casual, soft ,square shaped pillow, but some time ago I started using a firmer one, made of lamb wool. It is also narrower in comparison to my previous pillow, it resembles a long rectangle. Perhaps it's the matter of head placement, but my parting is now where it should be :sun:

*Aoife*
July 27th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I can't see it much so I pretend it isn't there. It works in the short term :)

Tabitha
July 27th, 2010, 04:46 AM
I have this too, especially where I have a weird double crown, but I decided some time ago that this was the least of my worries!

Sammich
July 27th, 2010, 05:37 AM
It's absolutely normal unless your hair is monster thick perhaps! :p

whichypoohs
September 26th, 2010, 07:04 AM
...the problem has gone. I bleached the poision out of my hair and went back to HENNA...no more root-line showing.

Carolyn
September 26th, 2010, 09:53 AM
...the problem has gone. I bleached the poision out of my hair and went back to HENNA...no more root-line showing.I'm sorry but I don't understand how bleaching and hennaing would solve the problem. Could you explain more please? By "poison" do you mean hair dye? I've always had a problem with hair cleavage before I had my hair dyed to cover the silver and after.

nellreno
September 26th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I have this. My part veers over to my cowlicks at the back of my head so it looks a little odd if I have my hair down. It's worse if my hair's dirty.

Fairlight63
September 26th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I have it also & HATE it!!! It seems to have gotten worse as I have gotten older also & thinner on top.
I put my hair in a half-up (both sides pulled up & held with a barrette) to hide my "cleavage" or "gap" I call it. Did I mention that I HATE it? If I don't the sides fall down & the "gap" shows. The rest of my hair I gather & put in a bun of some kind.

whichypoohs
November 23rd, 2010, 12:31 PM
by poison I refer to dark hair dye. As for the Henna...I don't know, maybe the Henna colours the scalp but it's done the trick.

aenflex
November 23rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
Welcome to my world :)
My hair soooo blessedly thin....

kschr2004
November 23rd, 2010, 07:21 PM
I was watching "The Doctors" yesterday, and Wendy Williams (who was guesting on the show) suggested covering scalp show through with dark eyeshadow that matches your hair. She suggested to use either a normal eyeshadow applicator, or, if you really had a lot of area to cover, to use a big brush.

It was actually a very ingenious suggestion, and seemed to work really well!

spidermom
November 23rd, 2010, 07:39 PM
I don't have that. I wonder if it's because I'm not fond of parting my hair, so it lays this-a-way and that-a-way and every which way.

TrudieCat
November 23rd, 2010, 07:46 PM
Forgive me, I might be really dim here. I just don't know what you all are talking about. Isn't the whole point of a part that your hair is divided along a single line - and so it's inevitable that scalp will show along that line, right? Even all the way to the back of your crown, right? How is it possible not to have some of your scalp showing along a part?? :confused: I seem to be missing something here. :oops: Please help, somebody, and explain!

McFearless
November 23rd, 2010, 08:14 PM
Forgive me, I might be really dim here. I just don't know what you all are talking about. Isn't the whole point of a part that your hair is divided along a single line - and so it's inevitable that scalp will show along that line, right? Even all the way to the back of your crown, right? How is it possible not to have some of your scalp showing along a part?? :confused: I seem to be missing something here. :oops: Please help, somebody, and explain!

The OP means that the parting of her hair doesn't end at the crown but extends to the back of her head. So someone standing beside her can see a line of scalp.

Does that make sense?:)

littlenvy
November 23rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
It may not happen to you because you have very thick hair.
We are talking about a part in the back or very top of your head. Some have it in the centre, some to the left or right (some both left and right).
A part on the front or top is normal but the one that shows of your scalp in the back looks like a bald spot. :( Meanwhile, its just a stupid way of your hair falling.
Usually you can get rid of it by styling (with heat) but since most of us gave up heat .... now we are showing cleavage :p

christine1989
November 23rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
I hate it so much! I have a pale scalp and very dark hair so it looks particularly bad. I comb over it with a fine tooth comb and that usually holds for a few hours at least. I generally part on the side so switching sides also helps to avoid that stupid little involuntary part.

McFearless
November 23rd, 2010, 08:21 PM
I hate it so much! I have a pale scalp and very dark hair so it looks particularly bad. I comb over it with a fine tooth comb and that usually holds for a few hours at least. I generally part on the side so switching sides also helps to avoid that stupid little involuntary part.

Have you tried clipping that part of your hair down while its wet?

littlenvy
November 23rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
I have light hair and it still shows quite a lot. :( See:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg160/myadra/mine/CIMG1380-1.jpg

rosieex3
November 23rd, 2010, 09:22 PM
I hate this SO much, it drives me insane! There are so many days when I just clip half of my hair back with a jaw clip to hide it, even though that style isn't too flattering on me. I have parts ALL over the back of my head. I can't do anything to get rid of them. I part my hair differently in the front all the time, but no matter what a part will always show in the back (even if it's not a continuation of my part in the front) ugh. I thought I was the only one with this problem LOL.

I have a picture too!
http://i55.tinypic.com/20iphv.png

I can clip it while its dry, brush it all back into a ponytail and let it dry, yet it will always return when I bring all of my hair down. :(

TrudieCat
November 23rd, 2010, 10:15 PM
The OP means that the parting of her hair doesn't end at the crown but extends to the back of her head. So someone standing beside her can see a line of scalp.

Does that make sense?:)

It may not happen to you because you have very thick hair.
We are talking about a part in the back or very top of your head. Some have it in the centre, some to the left or right (some both left and right).
A part on the front or top is normal but the one that shows of your scalp in the back looks like a bald spot. :( Meanwhile, its just a stupid way of your hair falling.
Usually you can get rid of it by styling (with heat) but since most of us gave up heat .... now we are showing cleavage :p

Thanks for explaining ladies! :flowers: Thanks also for posting photos, littlenvy and rosieex3. I get it now. :o

Now that I know what you all are talking about, I realize I've seen this on people IRL. I have to say that I never thought there was anything unattractive or weird about it, just figured some people had cowlicks or long parts. Pretty sure BF's sisters have these, and I have never thought their hair was anything but beautiful. For what it's worth, I don't think a glimpse of scalp looks bad at all, whether it's at the front or back of the head. :shrug:

Maverick494
November 24th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with it if it weren't for the 'fun' fact that my trich (short for: Trichotillomania a.k.a. the urge to pull out your own hair) tends to manifest there. :( I don't know why, but because that spot is where my hair feels 'off' I have enormous difficulty keeping my hands away from it. Luckily my hair tends to grow back. Still, if I don't pay attention it's pretty noticeable. I told ma my trich is over but when she noticed the rather broad parting line I don't think she's buying it.

I tend to cover it up by brushing over it or doing a tight updo or half updo. French braiding covers up pretty well also.

littlenvy
November 24th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks for explaining ladies! :flowers: Thanks also for posting photos, littlenvy and rosieex3. I get it now. :o

Now that I know what you all are talking about, I realize I've seen this on people IRL. I have to say that I never thought there was anything unattractive or weird about it, just figured some people had cowlicks or long parts. Pretty sure BF's sisters have these, and I have never thought their hair was anything but beautiful. For what it's worth, I don't think a glimpse of scalp looks bad at all, whether it's at the front or back of the head. :shrug:
OH ! You are the sweetest TrudieCat! :) Thank you.
I guess most of us feel that people are always staring at that spot ... even if we can't see it ourselves ;)