PDA

View Full Version : Aveda highlights?

Curlsgirl
May 16th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I have an appointment for highlights at an Aveda Salon tomorrow. Anyone have any experience with Aveda haircolor? I do my own roots a dark blond which is just a shade lighter than my natural color minus gray and get highlights about once a year for an extra lift. I have never done Aveda and would love to get any comments about it. Is it better than other haircolor? Can I still achieve a pretty color? Is it less damaging or not? Any comments will help. I am getting a bit nervous. I was unhappy with my last regular salon visit. It was expensive and she really didn't seem to take any time with my hair. Plus i couldn't really tell it was even any different. That was about a year ago or maybe a bit less.

Dvips
May 16th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I just had my hair colored at an Aveda salon yesterday. I had a good experience. The woman was very thoughtful about the best way to get the effect I wanted (brunette to blond) without sacrificing my hair more than I was willing to; in fact, she consulted with two others between my consultation (on Tuesday) and my appt with her!

However, I haven't had my hair colored before, so I cannot compare the quality of the methods to anything else. I'm sorry.

chelly
May 16th, 2008, 08:55 PM
i've had this colour put in my hair before, i went red all over with black lowlights that was about 2 years ago and i swear that that black is still there going strong and they always seem to be the healthiest chunks of hair, might just be my imagination though. Its better for your hair than the stuff out of the box and even other professional dyes from what i experienced.

Carolyn
May 17th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I've been getting my hair colored and high lighted at an Aveda salon for a little over 2 years. It's not a color change, it's to cover my grays and silvers and keep me my natural blonde. I'd been doing Natural Instincts in Linen before that and was going more strawberry blonde each time. I want ashy blonde, not a reddish strawberry blonde. I love the Aveda color. The stylist who does my hair seems to really understand blonde. She really listens to my concerns and works on keeping it ashy. Yes Aveda is expensive but I know this is something I can't do at home. I read a lot about their color before I did it and I went for a consultation before I had it colored this first time. I'm very happy with my color and plan to keep up with it.

Curlsgirl
May 17th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Carolyn I was thinking of you and Justy specifically when I asked this question. I am glad to know you like it because your hair is just like I would like mine colorwise. I posted my experience on a new thread just now. VERY happy with it! I am not going to do my own color any more. It is a little pricey but well worth it especially as I grow to longer lengths!

justgreen
May 17th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I don't do Aveda, but my colorist is upper echelon as far as keeping me the cool ashy blonde I want, with no damage. I've been going to her for almost three years now and have no complaints. She respects my wishes about no brushes and no flat irons. I used to take my own product for shampoo, etc , but she gets such a kick out of using the expensive name brand stuff, I let her have her way. She cuts me a break on the price. If I get whole head minus my dark underneath panel, with light and dark foils, it's $70. I have that done once a year. For the normal, every 4-6 weeks, it's $35-40. That's the normal 'ballcap' foiling, catching the sides and the top roots in a 'v' to the back of the head.

Curlsgirl
May 17th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I don't do Aveda, but my colorist is upper echelon as far as keeping me the cool ashy blonde I want, with no damage. I've been going to her for almost three years now and have no complaints. She respects my wishes about no brushes and no flat irons. I used to take my own product for shampoo, etc , but she gets such a kick out of using the expensive name brand stuff, I let her have her way. She cuts me a break on the price. If I get whole head minus my dark underneath panel, with light and dark foils, it's $70. I have that done once a year. For the normal, every 4-6 weeks, it's $35-40. That's the normal 'ballcap' foiling, catching the sides and the top roots in a 'v' to the back of the head.Mine was $95 today for a full head of highlights. She used them sparingly on the ends because they were lighter. I'll have to ask about the 4-6 weeks thing. She only mentioned whole head and whole head minus the dark underneath panel. Is "ballcap foiling" usually what it's called? This one was actually admiring that I am so careful what I do to my hair. That really surprised me! I really lucked up because I had no idea what she would be like!

justgreen
May 17th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Yes, I've had Rhonda call her girls over to check out my hair. She tells them "this is what healthy hair looks like".

Curlsgirl
May 17th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Yes, I've had Rhonda call her girls over to check out my hair. She tells them "this is what healthy hair looks like".

I think that is about the nicest thing anyone could say! I also told her about coconut oil and she asked where to get it. Most people look at you like you are crazy when you say you put coconut oil or ANY oil in your hair. I told her about diluting shampoo and only washing as little as possible and also she was amazed that I had so much hair up in that hair fork (infinity bun) LOL!

justgreen
May 17th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I usually amaze them when I go in to the salon. I've gone in there before with a bun held by nothing. They expect me to pull something out of my hair and I just let it down.