PDA

View Full Version : hilarious yahoo article: hair and ...

dropinthebucket
July 26th, 2010, 07:14 AM
hilarious article on Yahoo!ca on what your hairstyle says about your sexual personality! (total nonsense, but funny)

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/fashion-beauty/articles/archive/shine-cosmopolitan/2038796

Stephichan
July 26th, 2010, 07:19 AM
That was pretty entertaining, especially the comments at the bottom :)

Monsterkitti
July 26th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Hehe that was amusing, not really what im aiming at suggesting when I put my hair up :)

Phexlyn
July 26th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Sooo... what about neat (not messy) buns and braids? I wonder what they would have associated with that.

(But of course, it's complete nonsense, I just would have liked to know ;) )

EvaSimone
July 26th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Your ideal warm-up includes sipping drinks in a petal-strewn tub and kissing on satin sheets.

They know me so well! :spitting:

drquartz1970
July 26th, 2010, 07:49 AM
more bollocks from pseudo psychologists !

ericthegreat
July 26th, 2010, 08:52 AM
If you always look like you've step out of the salon even when your home alone, you love order and consistency in all of your personal encounters. In fact, you may be happiest when you're orchestrating an erotic encounter rather than following his lead. :poot:

I always take online personality profiles with a huge grain of salt, but they seem to be spot on about me at least with this one! :p

Merlin
July 26th, 2010, 09:19 AM
You notice that none of the options suggested that you might not be interested in having sex right now - as in "your hair is pulled back in a bun means you've been bathing the dog"

triumphator!
July 26th, 2010, 09:29 AM
You notice that none of the options suggested that you might not be interested in having sex right now - as in "your hair is pulled back in a bun means you've been bathing the dog"

Because everything means you want to have sex, duh. :p

Newniepg
July 26th, 2010, 09:45 AM
The article seems to suggest that I am confused and want everything all the time please.

A cringeable, but amusing read. :)

slythwolf
July 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I suppose it goes without saying that they assume everyone is straight. XD

Peter
July 26th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Hahahahahaahahahahahahaahhaha.

That is all. :D

Medievalmaniac
July 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Well, the comments after the article were hilariously entertaining, at least...! lol :D

spidermom
July 26th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Bah-humbug!

Finoriel
July 26th, 2010, 11:48 AM
:suspect:
I´d be ashamed to publish such nonsense.
I´d be even more ashamed to write it.
And I sure hope the author refused to get payed for this... I´m hesitant to use the word, "article" :p

But the really tragic thing is that there are possibly some people out there reading it and believing it´s true.

:shrug:
Guess I´ll now go and orchester something :silly: oh my :rollin:

Lamb
July 26th, 2010, 11:59 AM
And female, of course. :disgust:

Well, the comments after the article were hilariously entertaining, at least...! lol :D
I know. I read such stuff for the comments. They tend to be better written, more informative, and amusing.

Merewen
July 26th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Typical Cosmo BS. The comments are great.

GlennaGirl
July 26th, 2010, 12:13 PM
As a writer, I'm cringing a bit at the comments under the article (and here). Writing can be a very insecure venture. You only feel you're as good as your last article. Criticism is one thing; this is downright cruelty. I'm sorry, but that's the first thing that came to my mind. And the simple fact is that writers typically get paid to write what the periodical wants them to write. Where are our values, then, you say? Well, most of us draw the line at truly offensive stuff, or things we really don't believe in, but face it, we need to eat. Is a person who sews a dress she absolutely knows is ugly, because it is her job to sew dresses, someone of substandard morals and up to the meanest of judgments?

Imagine you wanted to be a painter and you painted something on canvas and hung it up and people walked by to hoot about what ridiculous garbage it was. Or if you painted your own living room and were proud of it and got that reaction...or any other creative situation.

Why is it that the anonymity of the internet has allowed us to be absolutely, scathingly cruel to one another? Eh...that's rhetorical and I guess it answers itself.

As for the criticisms of the content, etc.: I'm rather surprised, people. This isn't the New England Journal of Medicine we're talking about. It's an ads-driven magazine which is out there to (surprise!) make money. All the moaning about "responsible journalism" on the comments below the article are making me laugh. It's Cosmo, folks. It has its target demographic, and that demographic obviously likes to read things like this. What's the excuse of everyone who read it and then complained that Cosmo is, across-the-board, garbage and useless (per the comments under the article)?

It's a Cosmo article. It is meant to entertain and I don't believe Cosmo has ever touted itself as having any other motive.

As for what I'm pretty sure is coming next, the whole "But this is what people base their views of themselves on -- articles like this!" thing, obviously not, considering the overwhelming backlash it's received. I don't know that many people who literally are fooled by the media across the board, and especially by for-eye-candy-only mags like Cosmo, into thinking that they have absolute accuracy. Again, we're not talking about a reference book here. We're talking about an on-stands glamour magazine.

So, yeah, perhaps some will get a giggle out of this, but... 1. You read it, after all. 2. Giggles are one thing; downright meanness toward a writer who can and will see your comments is another, and I don't see how it's called for. 3. Nobody does believe this stuff anyway...so there's no need to get into a twist about it.

I'll tell you...when internet anonymity came in, manners FLEW right out.

Finoriel
July 26th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I donīt think itīs cruel to voice an opinion or to not like something someone else made. Personal taste varies.
If a writer chose to accept a job and puts the result out there, itīs just natural that not everyone will cheer and like it if thereīs the option to leave comments. Thatīs life.
If he/she is proud of the work it should not matter much what others think and if the author itself isnīt satisfied with the published article either, it would be a bit strange to take critique personal.

As of my personal values, that Iīd not take money for any service Iīm not satisfied with... :shrug: I guess, thatīs just what it is: personal standards. And itīs not that Iīd be starving because of them :wink: actually customers seem to appreciate it when youīre not satisfied with delivering less than a perfect job.

GlennaGirl
July 26th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I don´t think it´s cruel to voice an opinion or to not like something someone else made. Personal taste varies.

I don't think simply voicing an opinion is cruel, either. I think braying with laughter and calling something "crap," etc. rather goes beyond simply voicing an opinion.

As of my personal values, that I´d not take money for any service I´m not satisfied with... :shrug: I guess, that´s just what it is: personal standards. And it´s not that I´d be starving because of them :wink: actually customers seem to appreciate it when you´re not satisfied with delivering less than a perfect job.

First of all, I was stating that writers for a particular magazine write what they're told to write, not necessarily that it's far beyond their standards (as I in fact specified). Second of all, really...you've *never* done anything for your job that you didn't 100% believe was accurate or the correct way to do things? For example (I don't know what you do for a living), say you were creating a window display. Your boss told you he hated the orange tank tops and to change the color to blue. You were sure the orange would make a much bigger visual impression but the bottom line was that this was the job you were assigned. You would then have stood up and walked out?

I mean maybe you have. I'm not being facetious. If you literally have never, and would never, perform a job act that you yourself wouldn't have originated or have never bowed to a boss's wishes although they conflicted with your own, bravo! You truly are an exemplary person.

However, I'm thinking the vast majority of us (yourself excepted) have done what the boss wanted rather than what we truly wanted/believed was the best thing; however, again for the majority, that "something" wasn't visible and in print. Therefore, it's quite easy to judge what we ourselves might do but keep in secret.

Again, if this has never once been a decision of yours at any job and if you walked out and didn't eat or pay the electric bills on that principle, then kudos to you. I myself have refused jobs, but a simple one like this I'd have probably taken on. As for not submitting a job until it was "perfect," perhaps the writer believed it was perfect. I myself, when given assignments, never turn them in until I feel they're fabulous. But again, perfect and fabulous are a matter of opinion. As, apparently, are manners. ;)

GlennaGirl
July 26th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I don´t think it´s cruel to voice an opinion or to not like something someone else made. Personal taste varies.

I also wanted to give an example here, but didn't want to edit again...I tend to put way more into my edits than I think I will.

Okay. An example. If I were to say to my MIL, "You know...I actually liked the pants you wore to the last party more than I like these," that would just be voicing an opinion and not cruel, I assume. That's leaving aside the fact that she didn't ask for my opinion, but as you said, if someone puts something out there for all to see, it's up for criticism...right?

Okay, now if instead of the above, I were to say, "You know, I never realized how much of your fat you carry in your *ss. I'm really surprised. I mean, I know you must be well in excess of 200 lbs. That's just pretty much a given. But most people seem to carry their excess of weight a bit more evenly distributed. I wonder why it is that your *ss is so absolutely, disproportionately enormous? I mean even bigger than your arms?" I assume that still wouldn't be cruel, right? It's an opinion. It's a negative one, but, hey, again...she did put her own *ss out there for all to see, in black velvet pants of all things.

Now. How about if I added laughter, called her fashion sense "crap," and invited others to join in the gaiety? At this point, in your opinion, would it be cruel yet?

In *my* opinion, yes, it would be. I don't buy the whole "...but if it's true, it's just an opinion and therefore it's fine to say" thing. Perhaps you were dumped by a significant other at some point. Surely saying "Well, you were dumped last time so I wouldn't count on this one working out either...I mean just be careful since there's no reason it couldn't as easily happen again" might be an opinion but how is it not cruel? "Oh my god, that painting job you did on your living room is pure cr*p" might be another opinion...and so on, and so on. I'm sure you get the idea.

I seem to see a rather unsettling pattern starting up here on LHC, which until this point has always seemed pretty supportive to me. It's the "Look at that idiot"-style thread. Usually it centers on short hair -- oh, excuse me, "soccer mom haircuts" and "poodle old-lady perms" -- but now it's veering off into new territory; "crap" articles. I only ask this: What would anyone saying such mean things think if he or she were spoken about in this way?

Sarahmoon
July 26th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Hahah I'm not sure if my hairstyles fit with ponytails or messy buns. Hmmm

I like some of the comments. "What about a bald head? I guess we have no sexuality."

*Aoife*
July 26th, 2010, 02:56 PM

And sticks to the one hairstyle :D

According to the article, I'm straight and sexually confused :D

*Aoife*
July 26th, 2010, 03:00 PM
GlennaGirl I have't said anything critical about the article but I sure thought it. I'm aware some poor person got paid to write on this topic. But when someone does a shoddy job of something, they should expect criticism. That applies to this article. It is poorly written and screams of being made up just to fill space in a magazine.

Copasetic
July 26th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I wear my hair in a braid . . . maybe that means I am complex, or have many personality traits woven together? :p What a joke. These kinds of articles are hilarious.

dropinthebucket
July 26th, 2010, 03:35 PM
As the OP I have to say, I only posted the link because it *is* an amusing article, and deliberately so. The article is clearly facetious in tone, and as others have mentioned, Cosmo aims for outrageousness and amusement. I thought others might enjoy the article's humour as well, and many here have posted amusing comments in response, comments quite in keeping with the facetious tone of the original article. I did NOT start a BASHING THREAD, nor was that my intention when I posted the link. The article itself is clearly intended as light humour, and I'm not sure why user comments at the bottom of the page it appears on should mean that LHCers shouldn't be able to enjoy the humour, or that enjoying the humour of the article - again, a deliberately facetious article - signals a trend here at LHC, either. Sorry, GlennaGirl, I have to disagree with you on this one (though not on the callousness of the Internet - I have actually written articles on that myself!!) - I enjoy your posts, though, and I love your hair too, btw!

tanya222
July 26th, 2010, 04:27 PM
User #32's comment: "a bun just makes a woman look old." :eek:

I was having fun reading some of the comments, up until that one :mad:

PiroskaCicu
July 26th, 2010, 05:34 PM
This was amusing! :D

Juneii
July 26th, 2010, 05:41 PM
What if you do all of those hairstyles? XD I agree with Merlin, it seems all the hairstyles stated screams "sex!" in some way.

Lunarennui
July 26th, 2010, 05:49 PM

*gigglefit*

*Aoife*
July 27th, 2010, 02:36 AM
What if you do all of those hairstyles? XD I agree with Merlin, it seems all the hairstyles stated screams "sex!" in some way.

It means you're sexually confused :p

Welcome to the club!