PDA

View Full Version : Keeping hair dust-free?

sparkle'n'bling
July 25th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I'm often in very dusty places, working, and my hair gets covered in a thick layer of dust.
I don't really like head scarves, plus they never stay on anyway, so are there any other ideas for keeping hair clean? My hair is classic length and is always up, usually in a cinnamon bun.
Thanks in advance.

adiapalic
July 26th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I can't really suggest anything other than a headscarf if you wish to be keeping your bun clean. I can only recommend cleaning after the bun is down--best thing for this that I use is my Boar Bristle Brush. :flower:

If you're not entirely over the idea of using headscarves, I'm sure there's someone here that could recommend some good and snug headcovering styles that will stay on better.

Arctic_Mama
July 26th, 2010, 12:21 AM
My hair can be a major dust magnet, especially since I oil the length. Honestly the only way to keep all the dust out is to wear a scarf or hat. A rolled style log a log roll may expose less of your hair to environment and therefore be a smaller surface area for the dust to latch onto, but other than a bun cover, solid snood, hat or scarf I'd say the dust is there to stay as long as you're in it.

Sorry!

Phexlyn
July 26th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Hm, I can only think of a scarf or a hat as well if you want to cover your hair fully. Maybe you like a beanie better? Other than that, if you find some sort of bun cover, at least part of your hair would be safe.

Schnail
July 26th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Hi sneaking in from lurkdom to say: :)

I work in a similar (dusty) sort of place. The best sort of cover for my hair that I've found is to use a stretchy tube of fabric. It fits over your head and hair and because of its elasticity it is held snuggly in place. If you wear a dust mask at all, that would also help it stay in place.

Hope that helps - if you end up doing this, you can generally find the fabric tubes in places like outdoors shops or places selling travelling gear.

ETA: If you just want to keep the length clean you could also wrap it in fabric before coiling it around in a bun... just a thought :)

frizzinator
July 26th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I agree with Adiapalic about the boar bristle brush being excellent for removing anything from the hair.

One kind of stretchy tube like what Schnail described is called a Buff. Google Buff to find their website. There is a video on their website which shows different ways to wear it. If my memory serves correctly, I usually wear mine like the last style on the video. The Buff can be worn in a way which covers your nose and mouth as well as your head and hair.

Another headcovering I use is called a Pony Scrub. It is a scrub hat used in the medical field, and it has a bump in the back with a drawstring that provides coverage for a low bun or ponytail. I think their website is called Blue Sky Scrubs.

Occasionally, you will see a Buff or a Pony Scrub for sale on the Swap Board.

Here is a link to a blog that has instructions and videos about how to wear scarves. There are tricks about how to keep it on. Furthermore, I discovered that every scarf I own, even my largest scarf is not big enough to tie like she shows in her videos.

http://thestyleunderground.typepad.com/blog/headscarf-styles/

Just scroll down the page to see a number of videos about different ways to tie scarves. Plus there are tips about how to keep a scarf on your head. There are links throughout the instructions to scarves she sells on Etsy. If you visit her Etsy store, you will notice that she also sells cotton knit hats, which might be an option for you.

By the way, the updo in my avatar is a log roll, which Arctic Mama suggested as a means for hiding the length to keep it dust free.

julya
July 26th, 2010, 03:38 AM
I second the suggestion for the buff. They work great to cover your hair!

starlights
July 26th, 2010, 01:36 PM
there is alot of pollution where i live, so nowadays i always wear a hat when i go out to prevent the dust settling on my hair.

find a nice stylish hat & wear it out!

sparkle'n'bling
July 27th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Thanks all. I will look at a buff to see what they are.
It can get quite warm where I work, so I don't want anything too thick!
I suppose i could have another go with a headscarf - any ideas on how to tie them so they won't come off?
It's mainly the top of my head that gets covered in dust - the back (including the bun) seems to stay fairly clean.

frizzinator
July 27th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Did you look at these videos?

Here is a link to a blog that has instructions and videos ......

http://thestyleunderground.typepad.com/blog/headscarf-styles/

Just scroll down the page to see a number of videos about different ways to tie scarves. Plus there are tips about how to keep a scarf on your head. ........

Nini
July 27th, 2010, 04:37 AM
I run a dairy farm, and the best way to cover up my hair is to use a Buff. I braid my hair, wrap it up in a low beebutt bun which I secure with a scrunchie. Then I just pull the Buff on top, and tuck the end of the Buff under my bun, which also anchors the Buff. In addition to this I wear a cap on top, but that's for other reasons.

I tend to get warm, but the Buff isn't too bad.

I tried to Pony Scrub from Blue Sky Scrubs, but it didn't really work for me as it tended to slip off, it didn't give me as much coverage as I needed either, so now they're mostly collecting dust...

Headscarves don't work for me at all. It think it's got to do with the shape of my head. As long as I don't move it's ok, but as soon as I try to do something it kinda slides up on top.

Good luck!

Lamb
July 27th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Snoods are a good option, too. They tend to stay on better than headscarves for me.
http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/products-page/classic-coverings/megs-simple-snood/

Gumball
July 27th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I have to agree that without covering your hair with something it's not going to stay dust free. You would just have to wash it when you feel it needs a wash. At least for work having a cover, whether it's a scarf or bandana, will work just fine. You could get something that works for you stylistically, too! That can be fun!