PDA

View Full Version : question for the hairdressers (or others with color knowledge)

Angeletti
July 25th, 2010, 06:39 PM
my hair is currently black but to me it's just blah, I want to make it darker and was thinking about coloring it to darken it up and what not. My question involves developers, I know zero volume developers are less damaging then the higher volume developers and I'm trying to go the route of least damage possible since I have previous color damage on my hair, but if I used a zero volume developer would that only make my hair color demi-permanent? I'm looking for a more permanent color so should I just go with a 10 volume developer? any suggestions would be great.

JenniferNoel
July 25th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I had a 10 volume developer used to blacken up my black once a couple years back or so, and the result was very little extra damage on already damaged hair, no breakage, and good shine. However the hair was chin length. I don't like developers, but suit yourself. :)

minaa
July 25th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Is your natural color darker?

Since you're simply sprucing up your black, I think a 0 volume developer would be just fine. What brand of dye do you plan on using?

Angeletti
July 25th, 2010, 08:08 PM
my natural color is a medium to dark brown. About two years ago I had chunks of black put in (it was a Koleston color) and had great results, it didn't fade and become dull looking like my box dyes from the store do, so I was thinking about using that brand.

UltraBella
July 26th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Zero volume will be a Semi color - not even a Demi color - and will not penetrate the hair shaft at all, so it will just wash away and quite quickly. Some kind of developer will need to be used for the color to "stick". I would use 10 volume.